Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Where's the EXILE news?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 18, 2010 14:36

tatters
Gazza
It isnt due out yet for another 3 months. What on earth are some people expecting re: news at this stage? Track listings?

We got the full details on Ya-Ya's a full two months before the release, so we could have the same on Exile in just a few more weeks.

That would be about a normal timeframe, tatters, I agree.

Date: February 18, 2010 14:46

tatters
Gazza
mickscarey
if you do not ADORE Exile you are not a Stones fan. It be impossible

Jagger's evidently not a Stones fan, then. Brilliant analysis as usual.

Hate to say it, but I kinda agree with mickscarey. How can you be a fan of someone and not be a fan of their acknowledged masterpiece? It's like someone saying they love Michelangelo, but never really cared much for the Sistine Chapel. And Jagger, strictly speaking, is not a Stones fan. How can anyone be a fan of their own stuff? You can only a fan of other people's stuff.

Well, you can have a degree of respect and pride for something you've created and which has been widely acknowledged to be of very high quality. Interviews with Mick down the years suggest that he certainly undervalues the album compared to other releases. Of the 18 songs from it, how many have been performed live in the last 30 years? Little more than a third, and 'Tumbling Dice' is the only one that gets a regular airing. He seems to value 'Some Girls' a lot higher - quite possibly because it's a record where he wrote much more of the songs.

I agree with you & mickscarey that its their finest work - its maybe my favourite record by anyone, and certainly in the top 3 - but the notion that 'you cant be a Stones fan if you dont love (insert record of your choice)' is a bit over the top. There's such a broad spectrum of work over the last 48 years that so many different records appeal to people in different ways and often for very personal reasons. I've read on here comments by long-term fans who think Satanic Majesties is the greatest thing they ever did, and others who think Some Girls is among their worst ever. Two opinions I find personally baffling, but each to their own.

Date: February 18, 2010 14:53

studiorambo
Why not a tracklist, or at least a somewhat specific outline, eg. how many discs, focus of each disc etc? They've been working on this for a considerable period of time.

Maybe they still are, hence the lack of confirmed info.

To give a comparison, the Springsteen 30th anniversary expanded edition of 'Darkness on the edge of town' has been overdue now for almost two years. Apparently it will be out in time for the record's 32nd anniversary in early June 2010, so we're talking just a couple of weeks after the 'Exile' reissue. However, there's still NO confirmation of the content - audio or dvd, number of discs etc - other than an interview with Steve van Zandt published yesterday which mentions studio footage and an interview with Jon Landau before Christmas which said it was "93% finished". Plenty of rumours about a full length 1978 concert being included, but nothing definite as yet.

So, whilst confirmation of whats on the Stones' Exile release is still sketchy, at least we have SOME knowledge of what songs are being included.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: February 18, 2010 15:02

studiorambo
It's killing me. I need hard info. We've had third-party sources say there's between 3 and 11 unreleased tracks, vague Jagger interviews etc., but nothing clear, concise and authoritative.

This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if this release will be any or all that different from THE ALTERNATE EXILE released by SWINGING PIG' or the excellent THE EXILE BACKSTREETS (EXILE REVISITED) made and posted by ghostryder13?

[www.iorr.org]

An aside -- I wish SWINGIN' PIG would release an ALTERNATE GOATS HEAD SOUP. I really think that album has been (unfairly) maligned over the years. sad smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Date: February 18, 2010 15:07

TeddyB1018
In lieu of official news, I have assembled the following from a pretty much unimpeachable source, though things can always change:

In addition to the three Jagger has confirmed, "Following The River", "Plunder My Soul" and "Sophia Loren", look for the following to be on the new CD: "Scarlet" (Stones version, said to be amazing), "Loving Cup" (original version), "I Ain't Signifying" (aka Ain't Gonna Lie), "Aladdin Story" (with unbootlegged original Jagger vocal) and "Soul Survivor" (with original Keith vocal). They are looking to include at least some things that have not been bootlegged in these versions.

Don't look for these to be on this reissue: "Potted Shrimp" and "Highway Child". At least one of these has been determined to come from the Goats Head Sessions ("Potted Shrimp" I believe).

If this reissue works out, there is talk of following up with Goats Head Soup and, specifically, Some Girls.

Intriguing stuff. Thank you. For 'Potted Shrimp' to have been considered, I would imagine that. like 'Aladdin Story', they must have unearthed a vocal version.

The instrumentals of both songs come from October 1970, so I wonder was it re-recorded and finished for GHS?

'Highway Child' was from '68, though, wasnt it? I think Mick said about only considering material from July '69 onwards (when the first song cut for 'Exile' was first attempted - 'Loving Cup')

Date: February 18, 2010 15:10

misterfrias
studiorambo
It's killing me. I need hard info. We've had third-party sources say there's between 3 and 11 unreleased tracks, vague Jagger interviews etc., but nothing clear, concise and authoritative.

This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if this release will be any or all that different from THE ALTERNATE EXILE released by SWINGING PIG' or the excellent THE EXILE BACKSTREETS (EXILE REVISITED) made and posted by ghostryder13?

Its NOT going to be a case of the Stones just reissuing better quality versions of already bootlegged material. Thats been verified some time ago.

Date: February 18, 2010 15:23

Gazza
misterfrias
studiorambo

Its NOT going to be a case of the Stones just reissuing better quality versions of already bootlegged material. Thats been verified some time ago.

Verified? According to prior posts, there isn't even a track list and even the number of "new" tracks fluctuates.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 18, 2010 15:55

Gazza
tatters
Gazza
mickscarey
if you do not ADORE Exile you are not a Stones fan. It be impossible

Jagger's evidently not a Stones fan, then. Brilliant analysis as usual.

Hate to say it, but I kinda agree with mickscarey. How can you be a fan of someone and not be a fan of their acknowledged masterpiece? It's like someone saying they love Michelangelo, but never really cared much for the Sistine Chapel. And Jagger, strictly speaking, is not a Stones fan. How can anyone be a fan of their own stuff? You can only a fan of other people's stuff.

Well, you can have a degree of respect and pride for something you've created and which has been widely acknowledged to be of very high quality. Interviews with Mick down the years suggest that he certainly undervalues the album compared to other releases. Of the 18 songs from it, how many have been performed live in the last 30 years? Little more than a third, and 'Tumbling Dice' is the only one that gets a regular airing. He seems to value 'Some Girls' a lot higher - quite possibly because it's a record where he wrote much more of the songs.

I agree with you & mickscarey that its their finest work - its maybe my favourite record by anyone, and certainly in the top 3 - but the notion that 'you cant be a Stones fan if you dont love (insert record of your choice)' is a bit over the top. There's such a broad spectrum of work over the last 48 years that so many different records appeal to people in different ways and often for very personal reasons. I've read on here comments by long-term fans who think Satanic Majesties is the greatest thing they ever did, and others who think Some Girls is among their worst ever. Two opinions I find personally baffling, but each to their own.

This is what Mick had to say about Exile in conversation with Roy Carr in 1976:

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 16:08

It´s top secret!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 18, 2010 17:17

That "Scarlet" song has been a Stones mystery for many years.
I'd love to hear it but I don't think it is from Exile sessions.

I still remember when I first read about it (in NME?).
Like: Keith went into a studio with some fellow musicians and cut a nice new song-Scarlet!Later they may have done a version with the Stones.

But I think that has been after Exile, - more like 73/74 . .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 18, 2010 17:41

Mick said the time table, which is hilarious because he's also basically saying tracks that were considered and recorded for Sticky Fingers as well.

Which Exile has on it, Sticky leftovers.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2010 17:48

skipstone
Mick said the time table, which is hilarious because he's also basically saying tracks that were considered and recorded for Sticky Fingers as well.

Well, considering the quality of EXILE and TATTOO YOU I think they should make more leftover albums...

- Doxa

Date: February 18, 2010 18:09

I agree. It's what Mick has always done that screws things up most of the time - he wants to put things on albums that are of the moment, whatever dance this and that, instead of GOOD SONGS. Dirty Work is a good example - they left some much better than half the album songs off of it because Mick wanted danceable garbage like Winning Ugly and Back To Zero on it.

Possibly his best work was actually finishing tracks from eons back for Tattoo You. One of their biggest albums - and one of their best.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:11

Doxa
skipstone

Well, considering the quality of EXILE and TATTOO YOU I think they should make more leftover albums...

- Doxa

leftover albums is good!!
i also like to hear chrystal clear versions of already booted songs please.

Date: February 18, 2010 18:17

misterfrias
Gazza
misterfrias
studiorambo

Verified? According to prior posts, there isn't even a track list and even the number of "new" tracks fluctuates.

eye rolling smiley

eye rolling smiley yourself.

Three song titles have been 'verified' - none of which has ever been bootlegged, two of which have never even been rumoured to exist. So that in itself makes it pretty obvious theyre not just throwing together already bootlegged takes. Thats been quite evident for some time.

There's no way they'd take several months to cobble together a collection of stuff that everyone already has - especially considering the fact that next to nothing recorded at Nellcote or at the final overdub sessions in LA for Exile has ever been bootlegged anywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-18 18:25 by Gazza.

Date: February 18, 2010 18:19

CousinC
That "Scarlet" song has been a Stones mystery for many years.
I'd love to hear it but I don't think it is from Exile sessions.

I still remember when I first read about it (in NME?).
Like: Keith went into a studio with some fellow musicians and cut a nice new song-Scarlet!Later they may have done a version with the Stones.

But I think that has been after Exile, - more like 73/74 . .

'74. Mick also cut a song with the same title in '76. They may be different songs.

Of course, these songs could still in theory be re-workings of a song originally recorded by the Stones some years earlier - just like Mick did with 'Lonely at the top' for example.

Date: February 18, 2010 18:21

skipstone

Most of the songs that ended up on Exile were first cut during sessions that produced songs for let it bleed or sticky fingers

Its a bit hard to define whats a Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile outtake for material cut in 1969 and 1970 as there's so much overlap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-18 18:23 by Gazza.

Date: February 18, 2010 18:25

Right. But some of the tunes were finished for Sticky Fingers for certain but were held off. I've never read anything saying they finished songs for Let It Bleed that, in that finished state, ended up on Exile. Written and recorded for, yes, but not finished recorded for, since they do many recordings of a song.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:28

Gazza

Absolutely correct.

For me, "Aftermath" is in their top 3. Depending on my mood it can rotate within the top 3 at any given time.

"Sticky Fingers" and "Let It Bleed" round out the 3 for me.

Exile is in the top 5 but not the top 3. While I think it is a very good album, it is not brilliant in any respect. I think that for this album to be a "brilliant" record, it should have been a single album because a good handful of the tracks are B-sides material at best.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:33

<< it is not brilliant in any respect. I think that for this album to be a "brilliant" record, it should have been a single album because a good handful of the tracks are B-sides material at best. >>

Sorry, then you just don't get it! Exile's breadth and scope are part of the reason for its brilliance. It works as a whole, rather than a collection of hit songs. It creates a mood. It rewards the patient listener with its charms and secrets.

Date: February 18, 2010 18:50

71Tele
<< it is not brilliant in any respect. I think that for this album to be a "brilliant" record, it should have been a single album because a good handful of the tracks are B-sides material at best. >>

Sorry, then you just don't get it! Exile's breadth and scope are part of the reason for its brilliance. It works as a whole, rather than a collection of hit songs. It creates a mood. It rewards the patient listener with its charms and secrets.

I don't rate an album based on how many hits it has. However, that usually figures in the top catagories as hit singles generally signify a solidly written and arranged track.

That being said, Exile has many fillers tracks that IMO are not great but good songs. Such as:

Hip Shake
Sweet Black Angel
Turd On The Run
Ventilator Blues
Just Want To See His Face
Stop Breaking Down
Shine A Light
Soul Survivor

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2010 18:52

The Sicilian
71Tele

I don't rate an album based on how many hits it has. However, that usually figures in the top catagories as hit singles generally signify a solidly written and arranged track.

That being said, Exile has many fillers tracks that IMO are not great but good songs. Such as:

Hip Shake
Sweet Black Angel
Turd On The Run
Ventilator Blues
Just Want To See His Face
Stop Breaking Down
Shine A Light
Soul Survivor

You continue to miss the point about these songs...but I can't force you to appreciate them, so won't try.

Date: February 18, 2010 19:01

From Keno's updated rating of Exile:

Exile On Mainstreet is still overrated by most Stones fans, the most overrated Stones album ever. But what is this, it now comes in at number six on my Stones top ten album list? It seems that whenever I re-rate a Stones album, that the songs do a bit better, and that is the case with EOMS, only I didn't really expect this to happen this time, since I've tried to like this album so many times in the last 33 years. But I guess there were a few songs that I gave too low a rating to back in 1998 when I wrote that review, what else can I say?

Overall, several songs came out higher, and a few a lot higher, this time around in the ratings. All the previous songs that I had rated a ten the first time 'round, got that same rating again, as they are all great songs and pure tens. With these new ratings, one more song is added to my "ten" list - "Rip This Joint". I always loved this tune, not sure why it used to fall a bit short for me, but yes, it is now hitting the spot when I hear it!

The one song with the biggest improvement in its rating is "All Down The Line", holy shit, a whooping gain from 6.3 to 8.8!! That is crazy, how can this be? I can see liking a song more after time goes by, but by that much? If you ever saw my actual rating scale, there is a major difference between those two ratings, and I must be honest, I always liked this song. I don't remember giving it such a low rating in the first place, could I had placed that rating there in error? But if so, I'm sure I would have noticed it long ago. So I'll only say this, I do believe in my ratings and I guess somehow something wasn't right on that one. "All Down The Line" starts off as a ten in my book, but I'm not anywhere as crazy about it's second half, but I'll never understand how I only gave it a 6.3 the first time. Weird!

There is another song that improved big time, "Sweet Black Angel", from a 6.5 to 7.9. I think part of the reason is today I'm appreciating it's lyrics a bit more, in part because of the Stones new song, the controversial "Sweet NeoCon". People are talking about this new song, and as a liberal I like the fact that the Stones are still writing songs in that mold. But the lyrics to "Sweet NeoCon " are nowhere as good as the ones to "Sweet Black Angel", and yes, "Sweet NeoCon " may be anti-Bush, but if you were around in 1972, "Sweet Black Angel" was so much more a radical song. Lets face it, Angela Davis, who is the black angel the Stones are singing about in "Sweet Black Angel", was not somebody too many sided with, even liberals. She was way beyond liberal, and the Stones really stuck out their necks writing in her defense, more so than what they are doing with the simple "Sweet NeoCon". It is just the time we now live in I guess, even under Pig Nixon we had more freedom than what we are getting with Bush. Yes, I know, the Stones were living in France back when this song came out, so why would they have second thoughts on writng such a song? Well, they were still selling lots of records in the US back then.

Only one song on this album actually went down in the ratings, that being the cover of "Stop Breaking Down", perhaps because I'm that more into the blues these days and the more I hear this cover, the more I don't dig the way Mick sang this. Then there are those four songs on Exile that I still don't like at all, although even their ratings did rise a small bit. But I'm sorry, if you take tracks 11 through 14, you have four of the worst songs ever to land on a Stones album side by side. Okay, several bad songs in a row like these have landed on Stones album before, like on Dirty Work and Steel Wheels, but this is EOMS, the one album that most Stones fans love more than any other. So how is it that anybody who loves the Stones could love: "Turd On The Run" - it still sounds like a damn turd of a song to me, or "Ventilator Blues" - Mick's vocals suck on this one, or how about "Just Want To See His Face" - well, I still don't want to see his face nor hear Mick singing about him, either, and then finally the last of the big bad four - "Let it Loose". When I was rating the songs I was putting notes next to a few of them, for this song I have - "z z z z z z " written by it. No, I didn't look at my old ratings before I rated the album today - but - I could remember which songs fell below 6.0 ( I guess a song falling below a rating of 6.0 is something like a baseball player hitting below .200). I almost believe that I gave them slightly higher ratings because I find it hard to believe the Stones could put out songs that fall below a six. Maybe I feel that I'm committing some kind of a crime giving a Stones song such a low rating?

So there you have it, my new review and new ratings for the big, bad EOMS. Hey, I now give five songs on there tens, and like I've been saying for years now, had this been a single album with just seven of its best songs on it, it would be one of the best albums put out by the Stones. But it has 18 songs on it, and four of them plain suck. But please, I can't end this review on a bad note and I won't. Most of the songs on the album now have higher ratings, not because you like them, but because that is the way I'm feeling today about them. EOMS, despite having some sup par songs on it, is now my sixth favorite Stones album, and I never thought I would ever say that!

Note:
(I did not read this before my post on this so I am not coping any of his thoughts but it goes to show that some people feel the same.)

Date: February 18, 2010 22:03

Gazza
misterfrias
Gazza
misterfrias
studiorambo

eye rolling smiley

Three song titles have been 'verified' - none of which has ever been bootlegged, two of which have never even been rumoured to exist. So that in itself makes it pretty obvious theyre not just throwing together already bootlegged takes. Thats been quite evident for some time.

There's no way they'd take several months to cobble together a collection of stuff that everyone already has - especially considering the fact that next to nothing recorded at Nellcote or at the final overdub sessions in LA for Exile has ever been bootlegged anywhere.

It is really sad that there always seems to be someone on this board who posts hostile comments.

I apologize for asking questions that have "obvious" and/or "evident" answers. I did state in my original post that it may be a "stupid question". But if you look at STUDIORAMBO's original post, you can see that I am far from the only one confused about this topic. As for myself, while I do run searches before I post, I have seen so many different stories about this topic -- many of them without any links to articles substantiating them -- that I do not know what to believe.

Irregardless, the personal attacks are unwarranted. Sadly, it is posters like GAZZA who make me (and many others) reluctant to post questions and/or comments for fear of being belittled by "experts" on this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-18 22:52 by misterfrias.

Date: February 18, 2010 22:45

Irregardless. 21. It's OK.

Date: February 18, 2010 22:52

misterfrias
Gazza
misterfrias
Gazza
misterfrias
studiorambo

eye rolling smiley

It is really sad that there always seems to be someone on this board who posts hostile comments.

I apologize for asking questions that have "obvious" and/or "evident" answers. I did state in my original post that it may be a "stupid question". But if you look at the STUDIORAMBO's original post, you can see that I am far from the only one confused about this topic. As for myself, while I do run searches before I post, I have seen so many different stories about this topic -- many of them without any links to articles substantiating them -- that I do not know what to believe.

Irregardless, the personal attacks are unwarranted. Sadly, it is posters like GAZZA who make me (and many others) reluctant to post questions and/or comments for fear of being belittled by "experts" on this forum.

A bit touchy, no? Feel free to show me where I made a 'personal attack'. You must have led a sensitive existence if you find a straight response to a discussion as hostile or belittling. You're correct that the whole thing is confusing, but no one said or suggested that your questions were obvious, evident or stupid but yourself (for the record, they weren't any of those).

I responded to your initial post in a civil manner. It was you who decided to get personal with all this unnecessary " eye rolling smiley" crap first.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-18 23:17 by Gazza.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:00

why oh why cant we all get along ?

Date: February 18, 2010 23:04

We can't all get along for the same reason there will never be peace - it just isn't possible.

And it would be boring.

Does Keno (or the person of that site) visit here? I've read here and there that his site has some, let's see, say, insignificant information on it. But overall it's pretty good eh? It is, after all, one person's take on it. Takes some time to do all of that.

Date: February 18, 2010 23:15

skipstone
Right. But some of the tunes were finished for Sticky Fingers for certain but were held off. I've never read anything saying they finished songs for Let It Bleed that, in that finished state, ended up on Exile. Written and recorded for, yes, but not finished recorded for, since they do many recordings of a song.

Thats right, but what I was alluding to was Mick's comment in that Italian interview that for the purposes of this Exile release, he considered the 'start' date of the 'Exile' sessions to be July '69, as that was when they first cut 'Loving Cup'.

Its a strange definition. By that yardstick, you could define anything left off 'Goats Head Soup' as a 'Tattoo You' outtake.

Date: February 18, 2010 23:15

The Greek
why oh why cant we all get along ?

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1624
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home