Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: OT Our New Orleans Saints go to Superbowl
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:43

8 things that will happen if the Saints win the Super Bowl

And...........number 9

9.) A big flood the next day because of all the hangovers

Date: January 27, 2010 11:12

Edith Grove
A song for keefriffhard4life:

i thought it was going to be a song called "refs for hire" that explains the obvious wrong calls in overtime getting reviewed then not being changed

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 31, 2010 01:40

Hey keefriffhard4life, need some cheese and crackers to go with that whine?

Date: January 31, 2010 02:35

Chris Soniat had 50 yard line tickets for the Saints vs.Arizona game. As he
sits down, a man comes down and asks if anyone is sitting in the seat next to him.

Chris said, "No, the seat is empty."

"This is incredible," said the man. "Who in their right mind would have
a seat like this, the biggest game of the year, and not use it?"

Chris says, "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to
come with my wife, but she passed away. This is the first Saints game
we haven't been to together since we got married in 1987."

"Oh ... I'm sorry to hear that.. That's terrible. But couldn't you
find someone else, a friend or relative, or even a neighbor to take the
seat?".

Chris just shakes his head. "No, they're all at the funeral."

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 31, 2010 03:28

Hey, Skip, true story here:

Years ago, I managed a bingo hall on Saturday nights.
One of our regulars came in one night to play bingo straight from her husband's funeral!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 31, 2010 04:18

An interesting article today in the Wall Street Journal.
The NFL is claiming ownership of the phrase Who Dat?
THey're giving out cease-and-desist orders against any vendors
using the slogan. Incredible, really.

Date: January 31, 2010 04:51

Who Dat Nation 1, NFL 0 in merchandise fight
By Jaquetta White, The Times-Picayune
January 29, 2010, 6:38PM

Susan Poag / The Times-Picayune
A proud proclamation of membership in the Who Dat Nation: The NFL seems to have seen reason and won't fight the Who Dats.

The National Football League appeared to back off Friday on its trademark ownership claims to the phrase "Who Dat" and the fleur-de-lis logo, saying it is challenging the sale of items only "when those products contained or are advertised using other trademarks or identifiers of the Saints."

" 'Who Dat' we do not claim to own by itself," said Brian McCarthy, a spokesman for the NFL. "It's when 'Who Dat' is used in conjunction with Saints marks that it's a problem."
McCarthy said T-shirts and items with 'Who Dat' and a fleur-de-lis logo unlike the one owned by the Saints are allowed as long as they are not advertised as being Saints or NFL paraphernalia.

'Who Dat' shirts being sold at the Fleurty Girl shop on Oak Street would be acceptable, McCarthy said, as long as the shop removes advertising referring to the Saints.

In a letter to Sen. David Vitter, R-La., the league described the trademark tussle, which has enraged New Orleans Saints fans across the country since it erupted this week, as "a significant misunderstanding."

The controversy began when the NFL sent letters to two New Orleans shops ordering the retailers to stop selling a host of merchandise that it said violates state and federal trademarks held by the New Orleans Saints. That, the letter said, included items with the words 'Who Dat.'
According to the letter, "any combination of design elements (even if not the subject of a federal or state trademark registration), such as team colors, Roman numerals and other references to the Saints" are also trademark violations.
The shop owners and others interpreted the letters as the NFL claiming ownership of 'Who Dat' and the fleur-de-lis even as fans were flocking to buy gear before the Saints play the Indianapolis Colts in the Feb. 7 Super Bowl.

Vitter sent a letter Friday to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, stating that he "was stunned to learn recently that the NFL is taking the position that it owns the exclusive trademark of the term 'Who Dat' and has even threatened legal action against some mom-and-pop merchants selling T-shirts using the term."
Vitter said he "would urge you to drop this obnoxious and legally unsustainable position and instead agree that 'Who Dat' is in the public domain, giving no one exclusive trademark rights.

"This letter will also serve as formal legal notice that I am having T-shirts printed that say 'WHO DAT say we can't print Who Dat!' for widespread sale in commerce. Please either drop your present ridiculous position or sue me."

In a response from Jeffrey A. Miller, vice president of government relations and public policy for the NFL, the league said it was hoping to "clarify the misinformation that is circulating on the subject in Louisiana."
"Contrary to public reports," the letter states, "the NFL has not sought to exclude all uses of the word 'WHO DAT' or the fleur-de-lis logo. Rather, the NFL has sent out narrowly targeted letters, challenging the sale of products bearing the the fleur-de-lis and 'WHO DAT' marks only when those products contain or are advertised using other trademarks or identifiers of the Saints."

Vitter spokesman Joel DiGrado said, "The senator is pleased that the NFL is already coming off its original position. However, he is continuing to demand that the NFL drop any claim on the phrase 'Who Dat' under any circumstances and will be sending a more detailed letter to the NFL Monday."

Speaking before the NFL clarification, Saints coach Sean Payton said he was sympathetic to business owners and the fans.
"I've read a little bit about it," Payton said at a news conference. "I don't know enough about it other than it's -- I think the people who are running these small businesses, you know, I think we're fans of those people. I don't think anyone can own 'Who Dat' personally. So there are some specifics with it as it pertains to business sales and that's something that I'm not as familiar with. But I think that's for everyone to enjoy."

Other members of the Louisiana congressional delegation also demanded that the NFL cease its threats of legal action against merchants.

Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., said it is "unfortunate that the NFL is exploiting a phrase that has been part of Louisiana's culture for more than a century. Who Dat Nation deserves better. I am exploring several options to sack the NFL's greediness, including removing the league's tax exempt status."

Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-Napoleonville, who is running against Vitter in this fall's Senate election, posted on his Twitter page a link to his "No One Owns Who Dat" petition urging the league to give up the fight.

And Rep. Steve Scalise, R-Jefferson, said: "If the NFL owns 'Who Dat,' then a football is round. No matter how hard they try, nobody can dispute the power and energy of the Who Dat Nation."

Washington bureau reporter Bruce Alpert contributed to this report.

[www.nola.com]

Date: January 31, 2010 09:50

even more shocking is that people are fighting over who owns the phrase

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: February 1, 2010 02:49

keefriffhard4life
who dat

that phrase just shows the average IQ of a new orleans fan
Shows they've been up too late. New Orleans is open 24/7. It's a real city.

Date: February 1, 2010 12:55

Ex-New Orleans Saints QB Bobby Hebert leads Bourbon Street's drag celebration

BY HANK GOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, February 1st 2010, 4:00 AM

Bottoni/AP
Former quarterback Bobby Hebert is joined by thousands of revelers in drag as the Big Easy begins counting down to Sunday's game against Colts in Miami.

Buddy DiLibiberto had to be tossing in his grave - with laughter.

The late New Orleans sports radio icon, who once promised to wear a dress and parade down Bourbon Street if the Saints ever made it to the Super Bowl, had the bet fulfilled Sunday by thousands of men in drag on a 12-block jaunt from the Superdome to the French Quarter.

Former Saints quarterback Bobby Hebert, Diliberto's successor on the radio, led the festivities in a black-and-gold secquened mumu designed and sent from New York by his daughter, Cammie Lynn, as described in Saturday's Daily News.

"It was above and beyond anything I expected," said Hebert, who estimated the crowd of participants and spectators at 50,000. "I couldn't even walk. They had to put me on top of a float. It was 50 degrees but everybody had enough antifreeze in them."

Even New Orleans, with all of its wonderful madness, had never seen anything quite like this. The cross-dressing revelers high-stepped under parasols, swilled a few hurricanes, chanted, "Bud-dy, Bud-dy. Bud-dy" and of course, threw in a few, "Who dat say day gonna beat dem Saints?"

Hebert wore a blond wig with pigtails.

"If the Saints win the Super Bowl, the party is going to eclipse anything this city's ever seen," Hebert said. "Next week is Mardi Gras. There's going to be a month-long party. It's going to be the closest thing to Rio or Trinidad. Lent isn't going to slow it down. Who Dat Nation would say, 'No. God understands the circumstances. We didn't think this would happen.'"- Hank Gola

Read more: [www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 1, 2010 16:45

Hebert was a pretty good qb in his day.

Date: February 1, 2010 21:13

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 1, 2010 21:17

drummer_dude
Yep our Saints go to Miami for the first time... Man while watching the highlights you should see the crowds on Bourbon Street partying.....

drummer_dude

I'm rooting for ya! Always go for the team that's never done much when I don't have any skin in the game. There's hope for the Clippers (maybe).

Date: February 1, 2010 21:18

keefriffhard4life, NOBODY is fighting over who "owns" the phrase. You are really entertainingly doing wonders to show your stupidity here.

Date: February 1, 2010 21:22

skipstone
keefriffhard4life.......You are really entertainingly doing wonders to show your stupidity here.

No matter the outcome of Sunday's game, keefriffhard4life will find some way to vent his frustration.

Perhaps we should start a thread called "Trash Talk" so the boy can put all his embarassments in one place.

Date: February 1, 2010 22:01

The absolute least he could do is make a thinly veiled attempt at understanding what it was all about.

Date: February 1, 2010 23:16

Date: February 2, 2010 02:14

Date: February 2, 2010 07:47

skipstone
keefriffhard4life, NOBODY is fighting over who "owns" the phrase. You are really entertainingly doing wonders to show your stupidity here.

quote right from your article:

"Vitter sent a letter Friday to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, stating that he "was stunned to learn recently that the NFL is taking the position that it owns the exclusive trademark of the term 'Who Dat' and has even threatened legal action against some mom-and-pop merchants selling T-shirts using the term."
Vitter said he "would urge you to drop this obnoxious and legally unsustainable position and instead agree that 'Who Dat' is in the public domain, giving no one exclusive trademark rights."

the nfl then plays it off and says it was talking about that phrase in combination with the saints colors, logo's or any mention of the superbowl. i do believe at first the nfl wanted to copyright the phrase

Date: February 2, 2010 12:44

Date: February 2, 2010 16:07

keefriffhard4life, if you call that "fighting" then I have some land to sell ya in extreme southern Louisiana...

Date: February 4, 2010 03:20

Dear Miami: Get ready for the Who Dat Nation coming for the Super Bowl
By Mark Lorando, The Times-Picayune
February 01, 2010, 2:06PM

Scott Threlkeld / The Times-Picayune
Saints fans celebrate the overtime win for the NFC Championship on Jan. 24 -- and the chance to go to Miami.

Dear Miami,
The Saints are coming. And so are we, their loyal, long-suffering and slightly discombobulated Super Bowl-bound fans.

While there's still time to prepare -- although a few hard-core Who Dats will begin trickling in Monday, most of us won't arrive until Thursday or Friday -- we thought we'd give you a heads-up about what you should expect.

First things first: You need more beer.

Yeah, we know. You ordered extra. You think you have more than any group of humans could possibly consume in one week. Trust us. You don't.

New Orleans was a drinking town long before the Saints drove us to drink. But it turns out beer tastes better when you're winning. (Who knew?) So let's just say we're thirsty for more than a championship; adjust your stockpiles accordingly.

And look. When we ask you for a go-cup, be nice to us. We don't even know what "open container law" means. Is that anything like "last call"?

It's Carnival season in New Orleans (that's Mardi Gras to you), and we'll be taking the celebration on the road. So don't be startled if you walk past us and we throw stuff at you; that's just our way of saying hello.

Oh, and sorry in advance about those beads we leave dangling from your palm trees. We just can't help ourselves.

Times-Picayune archive

February is also crawfish season, and you can be sure that more than one enterprising tailgater will figure out a way to transport a couple sacks of live mudbugs and a boiling pot to Miami.

When the dude in the 'Who Dat' T-shirt asks if you want to suck da head and pinch da tail, resist the urge to punch him. He's not propositioning you. He's inviting you to dinner.

And if you see a big Cajun guy who looks exactly like an old Saints quarterback walking around town in a dress ... don't ask. It's a long story.

We know that crowd control is a major concern for any Super Bowl host city. Our advice? Put away the riot gear.

Reason No. 1: Indianapolis is going to lose, and their fans are way too dull to start a riot.

Reason No. 2: New Orleans showed the world on Sunday that we know how to throw a victory party. We don't burn cars. We dance on them.

Reason No. 3: Even if we did lose, which we won't, leaving the stadium would be like leaving a funeral, and our typical response to that is to have a parade.

Speaking of which: If you happen to see a brass band roll by, followed by a line of folks waving their handkerchiefs, you're not supposed to just stand there and watch. As our own Irma Thomas would say, get your backfield in motion.

And hey, Mister DJ! Yes, we know you've already played that stupid Ying Yang Twins song 10 times tonight, but indulge us just one more time.

To us, "Halftime (Stand Up and Get Crunk)" isn't just a song; it's 576 points of good memories. It's the sound of a Drew Brees touchdown pass to Devery Henderson, a Pierre Thomas dive for first down on 4th-and-1, a Garrett Hartley field goal sailing through the uprights in overtime.

It's what a championship sounds like. You may get sick of hearing it. We won't. Encore, dammit.

Inside Sun Life Stadium, you may find your ears ringing more than usual. We're louder than other fans. Seven thousand of ours sound like 70,000 of theirs.

Don't believe us? Ask the 12th man in the Vikings huddle.

Some people think it's just the Dome that heightens our volume. But you're about to discover a little secret: We can scream loud enough to make your head explode, indoors or out.

It's not the roof. It's the heart.

Well, OK, and the beer.

Susan Poag / The Times-Picayune

Don't be surprised if there are more Saints fans outside the stadium than inside. A lot of us are coming just to say we were part of history, even if we can't witness it up close. The Saints are family to us, and you know how it is with family: We want to be there for them, whether they really need us or not. Because we know our presence will mean something to them, whether they can see us or not.

Come to think of it, seeing as how you're taking us in for the week, we pretty much regard you as family, too. So we're warning you now: If you're within hugging distance, you're fair game.

Hugging strangers is a proud Who Dat tradition, right up there with crying when we win.

Most sports fans cry when their teams lose. Not us. We've been losing gracefully and with good humor for 43 years. Tragedy and disappointment don't faze us. It's success that makes us go to pieces.

Hurricane Katrina? We got that under control. The Saints in the Super Bowl? SOMEBODY CALL A PARAMEDIC!!!

So anyway, don't let the tears of joy freak you out. We're just ... disoriented.

OK. Let's review:

Order more beer. Throw me something, mister. Suck da heads. Wear da dress. Stand up. Get crunk. Hug it out. Protect your eardrums. Pass the Kleenex. Hoist the trophy.

See you at the victory party.

Faithfully yours,

The Who Dat Nation

Features editor Mark Lorando can be reached at mlorando@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3430. Comment and read more at NOLA.com/superbowl.

[www.nola.com]

Date: February 4, 2010 17:41

This is almost interesting, if not a bit out of touch as usual. #4 ain't gonna happen, for one, and #15 he says crayfish but then says crawfish etouffee. And quite frankly I don't know anyone that goes to Bourbon St but whatever.

[sports.espn.go.com]

Why Bourbon Street Beats Out South Beach
Here are the 20 reasons you should be in New Orleans instead of Miami for the Super Bowl:

1. Because no Mardi Gras has, can or ever will come close to the madness that's about to erupt there.

2. Because neither the Sun Life Stadium nor the city of Miami is big enough to hold/control Who Dat Nation.

3. Because they don't say "Drew Brezzy Fasheezy" correctly in South Florida.

4. Because more people will be crammed into the Superdome on Sunday to watch the game.

5. Drive-through daiquiri shops.

6. Because the rest of the country just don't know how to "Second Line."

7. Because you won't hear Dr. John's "Iko Iko" or Professor Longhair's "Big Chief" or "What's My Name?" by the Hot 8 Brass Band blasting out of car windows and hotel lobbies everywhere you go.

8. Because for the first time in forever South Beach is going to have nothing on the French Quarter. Nothing!

9. Because if Peyton Manning wasn't playing in the game, he'd be in New Orleans for this.

10. Where else during this week can you get a free gold tooth with a fleur-de-lis on it?

11. Because at someone's house there will be an old lady who's been living in Louisiana and will tell you a story about how she was raised in the swamps and knew what this place was like "b'fore dem Saints came chere." She will tell you about how she was handed down a gumbo recipe that she would make only if the Saints ever made it to the Super Bowl. She's been waiting more than four decades. On Sunday, she will make that gumbo.

12. Because you can't get a Neptune's Monsoon in the state of Florida.

13. Because in Miami women will wear Reggie Bush jerseys as jerseys. In NOLA for the game, they'll be worn as skirts.

14. Because going to a Saints die-hard's house in New Orleans for this one game is going to be more awe-inspiring, more mind-numbing, more unforgettable, a more "tell-your-grandkids" type of experience (win or lose) than all the celeb parties and $500-a-pop functions going on in Miami combined. (Even if Diddy is hosting.)

15. Po-Boys, 72-ounce beers, oysters, Pat O's, Cooter Brown's, Café Du Monde, Tremé, the 9't Ward, Sazeracs, the Chinese Kitchen, crayfish, jambalaya, crawfish etouffee, collard green croquettes ... and did I say drive-through daiquiri spots?

16. Because people around you watching the game will actually know who Jonathan Vilma is, what Gregg Williams does, been following Devery Henderson before he got to LSU and know how to pronounce Pierson Prioleau's name correctly.

17. There's no other place where sinners and Saints will be praying for the exact same thing (and doing the exact same things) at the exact same time.

18. Because by the time you get there the City Council will have passed the emergency "What happens on Bourbon Street Stays on Bourbon Street" into law.

19. Because there's a difference in seeing thousands of people crying and millions of people crying after their team wins.

20. Because you can finally get to feel what hell feels like frozen over.

Date: February 6, 2010 04:11

On the Mississippi River levee near New Orleans:

Date: February 6, 2010 04:17

My Who Datness is almost about to boil over. My Datittude is peaking. Sundat is going to be crazy. I'll be Who Datin' all over da place. Hell, I'm going to build a new lighthouse on the lake and the horn will say Whooooooo Daaaaaaaaaaaat.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 6, 2010 04:27

think it's a misunderstanding, it's The Who, not Who Dat.

Date: February 6, 2010 04:33

There is some strange irony to this Supe:

The last time Indy was at the Supe was in Miami - and had the Saints beat the Bears this would be a repeat...

The Who are playing the half time show of the Who Dat Bowl on Super Sundat.

Date: February 6, 2010 04:40

MKjan
think it's a misunderstanding, it's The Who, not Who Dat.

Who Dat you say? How about a Who Dat retrospective? I'll bet even Skip won't remember some of this:

Date: February 6, 2010 05:48

Good gawd, a young and even more annoying Eric Paulsen!

Super Bowl best halftime show poll.
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: February 2, 2010 15:17

Yes...another poll, but what the hell:

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home