Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: OT: Superbowl comments and discussions
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 8, 2010 22:27

What do you want these guys to do jump around like their 40! Its what I expected.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 8, 2010 22:37

"They looked flat compared to the Concert For New York City, 8 years ago."

8 years is a long time baby when your 65!!!

This critisim is the same when ever any mention U2 or the Beatles. If it aint the stones then it aint good enough. Funny how know one mentions PT can run guitar rings around the 'boys'.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 8, 2010 22:41

I'm just floored that the Who Dat Bowl was the most watched show ever in the history of US television: 106.5 million. And those kind of facts are never accurate because a lot more people were watching it than that ie Who Dat Bowl parties. The NFL certainly did not get the viewership it could have gotten (they don't allow games to be broadcast in domes because they 'lose' viewership).

Of course, there are more televisions now then back then but still, that's the attention of a country right there. Pretty impressive number regardless.

As much as I dislike CBS' production at least they don't have a stupid @#$%& robot like FOX does.

Re: OT: The Who Super Bowl Promo
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 8, 2010 22:48

The Sicilian
jamesfdouglas
that's extremely discriminatory to all of the poor cyclopses there.

James,

The Super Bowl is tonight Ottawa at Buffalo.

And what a superbowl it was. Then #$%&ing Toronto kills our winning streak!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 8, 2010 22:50

My 15 year old son had 10 of his friends over to watch the game and one of them said that they "Looked like a bunch of old guys trying to sing Who songs."

I just wish they would give exposure to younger bands is all. Enough already with the classic guys.

I love them to death for what they were but if you had to judge The Who, Stones, Macca, etc..on what they have been in the past 5 years, we probably wouldnt care about them much...I wouldnt anyway.There are some many newer bands that have out out better music than the "classics" offerings.

I love the Stones/Who.etc.. for what they did in the 60s-late 70s. The Stones have put out some good stuff since 1980 but not enough to build the following that they have. I mean, how many "new" Stones fans have really come along since Start Me Up came out....do you know what I mean?

The classic bands have had their time............it;s time to pass it on

All that said...the Stones will forever be may favorite musical venue.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 8, 2010 22:52

I have to say, that was a very disappointing performance. I have a concert dvd from around 2003 and they were just lightyears better then. daltry looks so weird and uncomfy (does he have no neck/throat?) and his voice is definitely gone...

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 8, 2010 22:58

Hey Lorenz! Hope you and your family are well!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 8, 2010 23:05

Cafaro
My 15 year old son had 10 of his friends over to watch the game and one of them said that they "Looked like a bunch of old guys trying to sing Who songs."

I just wish they would give exposure to younger bands is all. Enough already with the classic guys.

I love them to death for what they were but if you had to judge The Who, Stones, Macca, etc..on what they have been in the past 5 years, we probably wouldnt care about them much...I wouldnt anyway.There are some many newer bands that have out out better music than the "classics" offerings.

I love the Stones/Who.etc.. for what they did in the 60s-late 70s. The Stones have put out some good stuff since 1980 but not enough to build the following that they have. I mean, how many "new" Stones fans have really come along since Start Me Up came out....do you know what I mean?

The classic bands have had their time............it;s time to pass it on

All that said...the Stones will forever be may favorite musical venue.

Don't know what you expect old groups to do, why should they just pack up and stop playing, they are still pulling massive crowds and are asked to play places like the superbowl. Good luck to them (The Who) and The Stones, Paul McCartney ect ect.

Date: February 8, 2010 23:13

Hey, I'm all in support of newer, younger bands getting more atention. The boomer crowd needs to move aside for at LEAST the Generation X crowd. Still, I didn't think the Who played that badly at all. I also am having a hard time finding backing track evidence here...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 8, 2010 23:17

Cafaro
Hey Lorenz! Hope you and your family are well!

hey mark, I am, thanks smiling smiley - hope you too!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 8, 2010 23:23

I don't get this "pass it on" psychology. What is "it" exactly? Exposure? Camera time? Attention? The world stage is big enough for everyone to have their time...regardless how old they are. If they can do it well---then they should still be given the privilege of any young band. So why not Pete and Roger the guys who created this music be up there and sing their own songs?

What exactly do people want for an artist to be relevant? Running around the stage, jumping up and down, banging around their equipment? Have people forgot about the MUSIC? No doubt Pete will give anyone who believes this a big F-you. The Who have a high standard, but musically, they met that standard last night. They still have it.

If you are accusing us of loving the past too much to not let go of these "classic" artists...why aren't you smart enough to let go of the past and stop comparing these people to the past? These artists deserve to be there--they don't need fans to constantly remind them of what they used to be to provide an opinion on how well they perform today.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 8, 2010 23:42

I thoroughly enjoyed watching THE WHO. Loved it!

I've only read the previous 2 pages on this thread.....any complaints that they did a medley
instead of 3-4 full songs?

I thought Roger sounded pretty good. Pete seemed up for it. The staging was well done...IMO.

My vote: continue with he Classic Rockers at halftime. It's balanced off with all that other Jay-Z stuff.

I was happy to see the Saints win.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 8, 2010 23:56

ablett

This critisim is the same when ever any mention U2 or the Beatles..

No. The Beatles are brilliant and U2 is quite good.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 8, 2010 23:58

Justin

What exactly do people want for an artist to be relevant? Running around the stage, jumping up and down, banging around their equipment? Have people forgot about the MUSIC? today.

No. The Music just wasn´t good and irrelevant.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:05

Gazza
Horrible sound mix as always in the half time show. Really dont know why these bands can be bothered.

Cramming 5 songs into a twelve minute medley appeared to be a setlist for people with Attention Deficit Disorder which makes it a bit hard to really get into (and some of the segues (ie Pinball wizard to Baba O'Riley) were a bit horrid,) but they pulled it off. Pete was fine, Roger just about held it together. Could have been an embarrassment, but thankfully it wasn't.

Roger's scream on 'Wont Get Fooled Again' taking place off-camera followed by him managing to recover in time to sing 'meet the new boss' effortlessly within a second or two of it would suggest a wee bit of assistance with backing tapes, but no matter - its a TV show, not a concert and thats the way the producers probably want it to be.

Gazza the mix that i heard (from satellite or just regular cbs broadcast i don't know. yes the bar was set up for dancing in the evenings and had excellent sound system and a few big screen, huge big screen TVs...the mix i heard was very impactful and sweet...guitars UP...drums just right etc....maybe north america got a better mix???
it was the sorta opposite with the Stones superbowl...the best sound i EVER head of that after listening to many sources, was some Scandinavian outlet...so u never know...but what i heard was spot on and real good. really really good.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:16

Beelyboy; I agree. After the first few seconds into the show i thought. WOW What a great sound. Perfect mix. Nothing garbled at all like the way The Stones sounded. Give credit where credit is due. They did a great job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-09 00:17 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:35

sweetcharmedlife
The Who was bloody awful and I love their music. The vocals were clearly taped and Daltrey's voice still sounded strained. Roger and Pete seemed out of sync. The sound was awful. Pete did play a few nice solos. AS far as they looked like they were enjoying themselves. They've played together for a 100 years. It's the same fake look they always have.

...a "fake look"???!!

They're performers for chrissakes! Only this time it's not for the benefit of diehard Who fans, but for the millions out there in TV land who may or may not have even heard of them.

If it's faking you want, I suggest you reel back 12 months and take a look at Springsteen's embarassing attempt at trying to reprise an entire career's live performances into 12 minutes, during which, he reached an absolute all-time nadir with Miami Steve proclaiming, "it's Boss time!!!!!!!!!!"

...or should that be, "...no Boss, it's time".

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:41

Gazza wrote: "Really dont know why these bands can be bothered."

Not exactly sure what you mean.
We all put our favorite bands on a pedestal (to some degree)...but your comment
makes me think (that you think) that bands like The Stones & The WHo should not lower themselves
to doing self-promotion on international tv. ?? Sometimes we need to remember that
most of them got into rock & roll/showbiz to be famous, rich...and the center of attention.
Bands that do the half-time gig get money..attention....and (potentially) attract new fans
that want to buy their old music. And they are making their "old fans" happy.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:51

Gazza's comment went over well with me.

A band that is already big, and plays concerts of songs they have written doesn't really need to be reduced to a 12 minute medley. This kind of exposure can't be very rewarding from either an artist or fan point of view. I ish the Stones didn't bother with it.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:34

stoneswashed77
Justin

What exactly do people want for an artist to be relevant? Running around the stage, jumping up and down, banging around their equipment? Have people forgot about the MUSIC? today.

No. The Music just wasn´t good and irrelevant.
If people enjoy the music, then it's still relevant!

Date: February 9, 2010 01:37

Justin

What exactly do people want for an artist to be relevant? Running around the stage, jumping up and down, banging around their equipment?

No. Creating new, current, exciting songs is what I would want. Is that too much to ask?

Justin
Have people forgot about the MUSIC?

Again, no. That's exactly what I was talking about.
And yes, there is new, great music being produced every year.
The generational divide in rock really seems to be widening. The more great, decent indie music that's created by artists, the more the ridiculousness of dino-acts charging 400-500 bucks for 30-plus year old songs is pronounced.

That's how I feel anyways, I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me here on this.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:48

...spot on, Mr Powergoats!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:51

Beelyboy
Gazza
Horrible sound mix as always in the half time show. Really dont know why these bands can be bothered.

Cramming 5 songs into a twelve minute medley appeared to be a setlist for people with Attention Deficit Disorder which makes it a bit hard to really get into (and some of the segues (ie Pinball wizard to Baba O'Riley) were a bit horrid,) but they pulled it off. Pete was fine, Roger just about held it together. Could have been an embarrassment, but thankfully it wasn't.

Roger's scream on 'Wont Get Fooled Again' taking place off-camera followed by him managing to recover in time to sing 'meet the new boss' effortlessly within a second or two of it would suggest a wee bit of assistance with backing tapes, but no matter - its a TV show, not a concert and thats the way the producers probably want it to be.

Gazza the mix that i heard (from satellite or just regular cbs broadcast i don't know. yes the bar was set up for dancing in the evenings and had excellent sound system and a few big screen, huge big screen TVs...the mix i heard was very impactful and sweet...guitars UP...drums just right etc....maybe north america got a better mix???
it was the sorta opposite with the Stones superbowl...the best sound i EVER head of that after listening to many sources, was some Scandinavian outlet...so u never know...but what i heard was spot on and real good. really really good.

BBC and Sky Sports' satellite coverage was the same as CBS. Can only assume it was the same mix. Sky's sounded better than the BBC's version.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:59

Is it just me, or isn't the Who's performance blatent self promotion by CBS and the Who. Their 3 highest grossing shows, the CSI's, all have the Who featured in the theme songs. A win - win for both sides as the CSIs will no doubt get a boost and the Who will get the visual recogition from the younger crowd whom otherwise may have never put 2 and 2 together

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:18

Buddha66
Is it just me, or isn't the Who's performance blatent self promotion by CBS and the Who. Their 3 highest grossing shows, the CSI's, all have the Who featured in the theme songs. A win - win for both sides as the CSIs will no doubt get a boost and the Who will get the visual recogition from the younger crowd whom otherwise may have never put 2 and 2 together
Exactly,why else would they leave out My Generation from a greatest hits medley.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:22

When these guys are gone, you'll be wishing you could see them (WHO) once more. That's how I feel, Twelve minutes on a stupid stage doesn't change my opinion on on one the greatest bands of all time, even if two are left!

How hell are you going to act when your 65. I bet not as active.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:26

ablett
If it aint the stones then it aint good enough.

This should be the motto here thumbs up

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:42

blah blah armchair critics all of us...

these guys rocked. the rubber met the road. the laser light show, riffing off great design from tommy album and tommy concerts...evolving as pete experiemented more with keyboard 'pads' of sorts...the guy a triple pioneer...old or no the guy comes out, screams his parts on key...the emotion is there. the tension is there...he plays his creative ass off. his band is major brilliant and somehow still rootsy...they get a ten out 5 from me...roger sounded great, looked great...pete a hoot visually and aurally; the real deal. he brought it...

blah blah blah...it was uber cool classic so glad that went out around the world.
We love The Who in the states. When the Two show up this good and rough, with a rough and ready posse, and do honor to a slight percentage of brilliant brilliant song contributions...all good. it's good for rock and roll; it's good for everybody. they applauded like they were at a concert at the Brig in Venice where I saw it...lotts of young men and women in early twenties...and they watched with wide eyes...started dancing...whoooping...INTO IT. the applause at the end was like a concert. peeps were moved and HAD to express it...wow. good goin'

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 9, 2010 03:00

black n blue
When these guys are gone, you'll be wishing you could see them (WHO) once more. That's how I feel, Twelve minutes on a stupid stage doesn't change my opinion on on one the greatest bands of all time, even if two are left!
quote]

I saw them 2 years ago in LA. They were awful,I regret going to that show and having that be my last memory of a live Who show

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 9, 2010 03:32

Lombardi Gras in New Orleans February 9th!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home