Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
different types of humor
Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 9, 2007 22:10

is it possible that humor differs from nation to nation ?
have you noticed that here on iorr?
or are the jokes and funny respones similar from the whole world ?

(i am not sure if icelandic humor works here :
i think i am very funny but my jokes here are alwasy misunderstood. smiling smiley )

any opinions on this kind of OOT matter ?

Re: different types of humor
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 9, 2007 22:19

Most certainly. And not just humour but general interpretations. I've made perfectly innocent remarks in the past and have people jump on me...and they weren't even Stones-critical. Hauw!

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 9, 2007 22:20

I dont like jokes I like fun and unplugged jokes....they will come like the stars in the sky and they never lie!! That will make live fun!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 9, 2007 22:31

.......6853, I enjoy your humor.....I'm from the USA, and yes, of course jokes or other comments get confused in translation.....I wish I could speak your Icelandic language so I could tell you a hilarious joke about a traveling salesman, a flat tire, and a pig....I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Date: August 9, 2007 22:32

good point rooster

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: August 9, 2007 22:33

I think the differences aren't that much today because of TV and movies in general.Think for example Friends that have been played all around the world.People liked most of their jokes and sometimes they have used in their own way.
On the other hand I don't like the sense of humor the Monty Pythons had.I don't understand how the people who made one of the funniest films I have ever seen Life of Brian a film like holy grail that I don't like at all but it is considered the funniest movie ever.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 9, 2007 22:35

6853, know any good flowershop jokes? smiling smiley

Date: August 9, 2007 22:35

Talk about fun...i miss Lenny Bruce and Richard pryor!! So much...and the 78 Jagger was funny and true!!

Date: August 9, 2007 22:39

Worst thing is when you come in a bar and are having a good time...and a fuc-er start to tell jokes!! I hate that...I mean funny moments are on the street and one doesnt have to remember bloody jokes its all there in the heat of the moment and its good!!

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: August 9, 2007 22:52

This is the type of comedy that my parents used to play when I was growing up. I remember this skit (only without the Superfriends). The "Partridge in a pear tree" line used to leave 'em rolling on the floor. There was also this guy named Foster Brooks that played a great drunk who was heavy in the rotation.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 9, 2007 23:25

WMiller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the type of comedy that my parents used to
> play when I was growing up. I remember this skit
> (only without the Superfriends). The "Partridge
> in a pear tree" line used to leave 'em rolling on
> the floor. There was also this guy named Foster
> Brooks that played a great drunk who was heavy in
> the rotation.
>
>

Foster Brooks, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. He's from my hometown of Louisville, I went to high school with his grand daughter.

The funny thing is that he stopped drinking in 1964 but continued to portray his lovable lush character for many more years. He was sober but pretended to be drunk so he could keep his job. In a bizzaro version of this philosophy, I'm drunk but am pretending to be sober so I can keep my job.

"It wasn't my fault ... liquors drunkened me!" Homer Simpson

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: August 9, 2007 23:29

ya, humor is definitely different in different countries - sometimes i try to be facetious or something in italy and sometimes people don't understand me - but on the other hand, i'm pretty bilingual with humor by now - i dunno, it's hard to explain !

Date: August 9, 2007 23:30

When somebody tells a fuc-ing boring joke you really have to concentrate ...and you wont!!So I say dont start tellin jokes! Give me some real Nu fun!!Or I give it to you!

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: August 9, 2007 23:32

Humor is univeresel-just the people who are different.

Date: August 9, 2007 23:37

Life is funny!!

Date: August 9, 2007 23:40

The Angels invading the R&S after party...if thats true..why not me call it humor!

Date: August 9, 2007 23:46

i agree to roster ; i hate prepared jokes, but i love when friends with similar sense of humor are able to kind of spin each other up, in funny spontanious remarks etc,
i have (a) few friends that i am able to to that with, great..

talking about televisionprograms : i must be honest : i dont like (understand) american comedy programs on tv ! sorry sorry
i remember one good though ;smart the spy or something long time ago,

i feel that nations from islands , (britain, iceland ) have sense of humor that differs from the humors of people from large continents.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: August 9, 2007 23:52

6853 - I think that show you are thinking of was called "Get Smart". It was about a bumbling spy. His name was Maxwell Smart....He had phone in his shoe...held secret conversations under a dome of silence (or something like that)...his side kick was a woman agent named "99".

Sound familiar.

Interesting theory on Island humor vs continental humor.

Date: August 9, 2007 23:57

I aggre with Nelson-Humor?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 10, 2007 00:04

I think this is pretty damned funny. Especially the "wine" lady.

Give me people falling anyday, I can watch that for hours. And if they hurt themselves, BONUS!!!

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: August 10, 2007 00:04

I've often experience between the humor of men and women.
Example given, I know a lot of women who don't understand the humor of Seinfeld, while all my friends laugh their asses off.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 10, 2007 00:07

Seinfeld was the last TV comedy that really made me laugh. I all but stopped watching primetime TV anymore.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 10, 2007 00:09

Hanns Rainsch Wrote:
Example given, I know a lot of women who don't understand the humor of Seinfeld, while all my friends laugh their asses off.

I think it's his voice, it's so whiney that it's a bit of a turn-off. Plus I can't stand the actor that played George. His parents were great though, the constant screaming. Ah, it makes me long for my childhood days.

Date: August 10, 2007 00:13

I had some moments when I would cry out off laughter...that would really set me free I mean its all so funny this stupid world...why not come together and have fun!! We cant wait forever...what i like about Tell is to see other folks...its really funny that fact..and it feels free..humour is lettin go of your defenses and let it all go thats freedom!

Date: August 10, 2007 00:24

CindyC Wrote:
> I think this is pretty damned funny. Especially
> the "wine" lady.
>
>

>
>
> Give me people falling anyday, I can watch that
> for hours. And if they hurt themselves, BONUS!!!

I dont get you-are you joking with me? maybe you got the same kind of houmor as me ,or are you making fun of me? I like you anywayIve seen your pic you look boot nice and funny. my pic is bad I know,but it was in a hurry. Hugs

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 10, 2007 00:24

Oh...you've hit my weak spot - comedy! Before I forget, they are making a Get Smart movie, with Steve Carell (of The Office, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin) in the starring role.

Hudson & Landry, Nichols & May, Cosby, Tom Lehrer, The Goon Show, Peter Sellers and, yes, almost anything Python! Fawlty Towers, Jeeves and Wooster, Mr Bean, Rick Mercer, the (old) Royal Canadian Air Farce, with Sgt Renfrew of the Mounties, and his police dog, Cuddles... And old novelty records - Spike Jones, Homer and Jethro, George Formby... made me the twisted, annoying person I am today.

And if you stop moving (Rooster - talking to YOU babe!) I WILL tell you a joke! How could you not love that chicken joke? [www.iorr.org] Aaahhh, everyone's different.

Different humour works in different countries - Canada and the UK have different senses than the US in many parts. And sometimes the language can be a barrier. Recent radio host talking about going cottaging for the weekend (means going up north to the lake here, means shacking up for a dirty weekend apparently in the UK). And apparently the Aussies all leave Canada with tons of Roots merchandise - it's a popular casual clothing line here, but down under, well, again it's a dirty word, and having it in huge letters across a sweatshirt is very popular...

Whatever your thing, you gotta laugh!

Now, about that chicken... Rooster? Where'd ya go, babe?

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: August 10, 2007 00:25

kids in the hall - woo hoo !!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 10, 2007 00:28

loochie Wrote:
> kids in the hall - woo hoo !!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

YES! They used to tape their TV show a block from my apartment, went to tapings all the time! Got to know their audience relations manager very well - always found me a seat, once parked beside The Frantics (who, wonderfully, are back together and doing a lot of local gigs!) Ever notice how the Kids theme song, by Shadowy Men from a Shadowy Planet, is nearly identical to the theme for the Daily Show? As Jon Stewart would say.... Whaaaa??????

(I'm crushing your head, I'm crushing your head....! Heeheehee!)

Date: August 10, 2007 00:31

If you meet me I be joking the night away!!! When The Stones are playing its even hotter but I just dont have the energy foo long story jokes! Toro!

Date: August 10, 2007 00:33

loochie Wrote:
> kids in the hall - woo hoo !!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

yeha.not onle afwe-not you

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home