Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Tour Rankings
Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: January 19, 2010 16:09

1. 1972-73 tours
2. 1978 tour
3. 1969-70-71 tours
4. 1975-76 tours
7. 1981-82 tours
8. 1989-90 tours
9. 1997-98-99 tours
10. 2002-2003 tours
11. 1994-1995 tours
12. 2005-06-07 tours

Tours from 1962-1967 not on the list since they were so very different. Mind, and this list is the in the answer book>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 19, 2010 16:56

I like all of 'em , but really dug being inside for No Security. JJF as an opener was played like Ya-ya's days and Keith seemed really focused. Woody was on-stage but not playing much (other than "Out Of Control" & "Rambler" ). Liked the intro, stage, and stripped down look (and for the most part, sound).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-19 16:57 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 20, 2010 01:58

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
Mickschick
Ok Loudie,
Just to clarify....Stones Never do MEDLIES!! I dont know what you were watching but that is not how a STONES show works.

I do have 27 of them under my belt, so...since 1975 to the present there hasn't been one show I've been to that I've ever heard a medly. And I don't expect to hear one either! Not from them.

And besides, 1978 sucked, really!! The Outfits Mick wore were horrible! The singing was terrible, the band wasnt tight. I dont know what people see in that tour or that time. Pretty much the 80's for Rock-n-Roll sucked...very few bright spots!

As far as I'm concerned the Stones get Better with each tour! But you can't FEEL that by watching VIDEO! You have to be there! The energy is AMAZING!! Butterflies and nervousness till the lights dim. Then the anticipation of the band stepping on stage and the first strum of Keith!!!!

Aahhh Man there is nothing like it! And there isn't a film out there that captures that excitement. But when youve actually been to a show or two, then you really know what it is to look at a film and remember the feeling!

So go to a Show and then comment!

Great post. I'm glad someone saw 78 as it was. just awful.

Hey that's not fair - you two are married....of courser you agree with eachother - one less thiing to fight about over breakfast

Hey Eric Snow; Do you know how cool it is to have a wife that's just as big a fan as I am? It's a great life.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:04

More Hot Rocks
Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
Mickschick
Ok Loudie,
Just to clarify....Stones Never do MEDLIES!! I dont know what you were watching but that is not how a STONES show works.

I do have 27 of them under my belt, so...since 1975 to the present there hasn't been one show I've been to that I've ever heard a medly. And I don't expect to hear one either! Not from them.

And besides, 1978 sucked, really!! The Outfits Mick wore were horrible! The singing was terrible, the band wasnt tight. I dont know what people see in that tour or that time. Pretty much the 80's for Rock-n-Roll sucked...very few bright spots!

As far as I'm concerned the Stones get Better with each tour! But you can't FEEL that by watching VIDEO! You have to be there! The energy is AMAZING!! Butterflies and nervousness till the lights dim. Then the anticipation of the band stepping on stage and the first strum of Keith!!!!

Aahhh Man there is nothing like it! And there isn't a film out there that captures that excitement. But when youve actually been to a show or two, then you really know what it is to look at a film and remember the feeling!

Hey that's not fair - you two are married....of courser you agree with eachother - one less thiing to fight about over breakfast

Hey Eric Snow; Do you know how cool it is to have a wife that's just as big a fan as I am? It's a great life.

Depends on the kind of 'fanship'. If it's only musical fanship, okay, but if she adores Mick for example or, even worse, Ronnie, I wouldn't envy you.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:16

kleermaker. She's just a big fan like me. I had a drumstick and cowbell strap to the inside of her leg when I was taking off her garder at our wedding. Tapped out the intro cowbell part as the DJ came in with HTW as the garder came off. the people loved it.

Hey just thought of something my buddies wives like Celine Dion. Poor fellows.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:27

More Hot Rocks
Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
Mickschick
Ok Loudie,

what I'm saying is, that it's "unfair" of you you 2 to "take sides in internet-debates". Cheers, man

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-21 21:33 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 21, 2010 07:00

I think the reason the Brian Jones tours get left out is because there is not a lot of material. This stuff from 1967 is awesome! Satisfaction really sounds good resurrect that sound and feel on the song! I really do not like the way that Satisfaction is played live nowadays! Mick must have been a real trip in 1967. I was only 3!

Date: January 21, 2010 15:10

slew
I think the reason the Brian Jones tours get left out is because there is not a lot of material. This stuff from 1967 is awesome! Satisfaction really sounds good resurrect that sound and feel on the song! I really do not like the way that Satisfaction is played live nowadays! Mick must have been a real trip in 1967. I was only 3!

Any suggestion of something good to download from Brian Jones era?

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 21, 2010 19:05

Mickschick
Ok Loudie,

Christ...how to begin...? Well, I guess the medley comment has been properly blown out of the water. I saw the Stones several times in '75 and '76 and I could swear that If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud was a medley...in fact, it is documented on 1977's Love You Live. Take a listen.

Secondly, 1978 didn't "suck"...really!! Actually it was a back-to-basics masterwork...a blistering reminder of the Real Deal by the original Punk Masters. Saw them in Philly and the Capitol and watched them literally re-define themsleves onstage...gone was the rococo excess and campy preening of the past tour(s) and in its place was a stripped-down, filthy rock and roll band that absolutely and perfectly captured the essence of that moment in time...the Rolling Stones and the Some Girls Tour defined 1978.

This was the last time the Stones would ever re-capture and dominate the Cultural Zeitgeist...the rest of their tours from that point on were Legends Tours (granted some of the subsequent tours were spectacular and their 1981 and 1989 jaunts through the U.S. captured the Media Machine unlike any other band, but their cultural impact was now as Legends sponsored by multinational corporations)...1978 was their last tour as a real working rock and roll band.

As far as the Stones getting "...Better with each tour!", I really don't know how you can write that with any sense of seriousness...so you mean the 2006 Stones were a better band and gave a better show than the 1972 Stones? The 2005 Stones were superior to the 1997 Stones? The 1995 Stones were better than the 1975 model? Really? Having seen the band all of those instances I beg to differ in the strongest terms. The comment is patently absurd and obviously the emotional ramblings of a true fanatic. I respect your commitment to the band, but, as a fanatic myself, I cannot take that statement seriously.

I do agree with you about the fact that you have to be there to feel the explosive charge of a Stones concert...the boots are simply the outlines to a complete picture one can only see by 'being there'...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 21, 2010 19:15

<< Secondly, 1978 didn't "suck"...really!! Actually it was a back-to-basics masterwork...a blistering reminder of the Real Deal by the original Punk Masters. Saw them in Philly and the Capitol and watched them literally re-define themsleves onstage...gone was the rococo excess and campy preening of the past tour(s) and in its place was a stripped-down, filthy rock and roll band that absolutely and perfectly captured the essence of that moment in time...the Rolling Stones and the Some Girls Tour defined 1978. >>

Thank you! 1978 was fun, fresh and exciting (especially compared to the bloated, tired sound of 75-76). '78 wasn't musically perfect, but I don't understand some of the antipathy here toward that tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-21 19:15 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 21, 2010 19:29

Turd On The Run
Mickschick
Ok Loudie,

Christ...how to begin...? Well, I guess the medley comment has been properly blown out of the water. I saw the Stones several times in '75 and '76 and I could swear that If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud was a medley...in fact, it is documented on 1977's Love You Live. Take a listen.

Secondly, 1978 didn't "suck"...really!! Actually it was a back-to-basics masterwork...a blistering reminder of the Real Deal by the original Punk Masters. Saw them in Philly and the Capitol and watched them literally re-define themsleves onstage...gone was the rococo excess and campy preening of the past tour(s) and in its place was a stripped-down, filthy rock and roll band that absolutely and perfectly captured the essence of that moment in time...the Rolling Stones and the Some Girls Tour defined 1978.

This was the last time the Stones would ever re-capture and dominate the Cultural Zeitgeist...the rest of their tours from that point on were Legends Tours (granted some of the subsequent tours were spectacular and their 1981 and 1989 jaunts through the U.S. captured the Media Machine unlike any other band, but their cultural impact was now as Legends sponsored by multinational corporations)...1978 was their last tour as a real working rock and roll band.

As far as the Stones getting "...Better with each tour!", I really don't know how you can write that with any sense of seriousness...so you mean the 2006 Stones were a better band and gave a better show than the 1972 Stones? The 2005 Stones were superior to the 1997 Stones? The 1995 Stones were better than the 1975 model? Really? Having seen the band all of those instances I beg to differ in the strongest terms. The comment is patently absurd and obviously the emotional ramblings of a true fanatic. I respect your commitment to the band, but, as a fanatic myself, I cannot take that statement seriously.

I do agree with you about the fact that you have to be there to feel the explosive charge of a Stones concert...the boots are simply the outlines to a complete picture one can only see by 'being there'...

Agree with Turd about the medley - however some on here got into a semantics argument about what was a medley and what was a segue? Who really give a s*&t? It sounded great!

Also, I love 1978. I didn't get to see the tour, but Handsome Girls is enough for me to believe it was as Turd described.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 21, 2010 19:50

On the 1978 tour,

AKA the disappointment tour.

From the crappy opener "Let It Rock" to the string of Some Girls tunes that never seemed to end, to Mick's guitar playin experiment, and the short haircuts, and the afternoon shows that ruined the atmosphere of the concert.

I think that is a good start.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 21, 2010 20:18

Opening with Let It Rock was one of the most
brilliant things they ever did.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 21, 2010 20:23

tomk

yep - the PERFECT opener, imo. short, sweet, to the point. and the rest of the show followed along those same lines...i'm sure there were better shows than other - but the overall idea and pacing of the show was exactly the way it should be. starting with '81, it became a long-drawn out spectacle to the detriment of the music....

Date: January 21, 2010 20:29

The Sicilian
On the 1978 tour,

From the crappy opener "Let It Rock" to the string of Some Girls tunes that never seemed to end, to Mick's guitar playin experiment, and the short haircuts, and the afternoon shows that ruined the atmosphere of the concert.

I like everything you said you didn't like about '78, excepting afternoon shows, and there weren't that many of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-21 20:31 by 71Tele.

Date: January 21, 2010 20:38

T&A
tomk

yep - the PERFECT opener, imo. short, sweet, to the point. and the rest of the show followed along those same lines...i'm sure there were better shows than other - but the overall idea and pacing of the show was exactly the way it should be. starting with '81, it became a long-drawn out spectacle to the detriment of the music....

I agree with the pacing. The last few shows of the '78 tour, when they got
the Some Girls songs in order (like Anaheim), is probably the best paced setlist
they've done. I love that whole tour. I even get a kick out of of listening to
the JFK show.
If I had to change one thing, it would be having Some Girls released sooner,
maybe by a month or two. I think the audience would have responded better
to the "all the Some Girls songs in a row" complaint.
But that's the way a lot of bans did things back then.
I remember seeing George Harrison in 1974, and he played a few tunes
from the Dark Horse album...which wasn't out yet and wouldn't be out
for another month! Even the Dark Horse single wasn't out.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 21, 2010 20:48

The show I attended was in the afternoon on the 4th of July in 1978.

Maybe at an open outdoor venue somewhere not confined, afternoon shows can work, but in a stadium it kind of loses it "feel" IMO.

BTW "Let It Rock" is bad opener nothing at all brilliant about it. It is a filler song at best. Slotted in the first half somewhere gives it justice. I'll bet most people except hard-core fans never even heard of it at the time.

Date: January 21, 2010 21:04

The Sicilian

Maybe at an open outdoor venue somewhere not confined, afternoon shows can work, but in a stadium it kind of loses it "feel" IMO.

BTW "Let It Rock" is bad opener nothing at all brilliant about it. It is a filler song at best. Slotted in the first half somewhere gives it justice. I'll bet most people except hard-core fans never even heard of it at the time.

do you have to KNOW a song to like it? it's basic chuck berry, anyway - what is there to KNOW? i don't get the whole "i need to know a song to enjoy" line of baloney in general. i've been to countless shows where i didn't know the majority of songs and that's never stopped me from enjoying them if they were good.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 21, 2010 21:10

I am parial to the '69 tour because I saw it and it is well documented, but the setlists in '70-'71 were incredible and it was the last of the "small" tour periods. I would have been very pleased to have seen one of those shows. And what can I say about '72? Hardly a poor performance in the bunch with many definitive song performances. Despite the spotty brilliance of '73 (GHS was no Exile), from '72 I would work backward. There are enough good recordings and the TAMI video to demonstrate the band's enormous charisma.

I do not care much for the subsequent tours. I thought '78 was fun, but musically uninteresting. I cringe when they start up "Imagination." Too much strumming for my taste. '81 was a spectacle and I never want to hear BL again. Pedestrian blues at best.

Date: January 21, 2010 21:18

no like BL? an example of non-pedestrian blues by the lads would be.....?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 21, 2010 21:29

The Sicilian
On the 1978 tour,

Best opener ever and the greatest band in the world promoting a brilliant return to form by showing enough belief in their music to play 8 out of 10 songs off their new record.

Whats not to like?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-21 21:31 by Gazza.

Date: January 21, 2010 21:29

T&A
The Sicilian

do you have to KNOW a song to like it? it's basic chuck berry, anyway - what is there to KNOW? i don't get the whole "i need to know a song to enjoy" line of baloney in general. i've been to countless shows where i didn't know the majority of songs and that's never stopped me from enjoying them if they were good.

thumbs up

Date: January 21, 2010 22:55

Gazza
The Sicilian
On the 1978 tour,

Best opener ever and the greatest band in the world promoting a brilliant return to form by showing enough belief in their music to play 8 out of 10 songs off their new record.

Whats not to like?

Don't forget the addition of Sweet Little 16.
That one kinda gets lost in the discussions about that tour.
That was another great choice, I think.
What would you rather hear, Sweet Little 16 or Love Train?

Date: January 21, 2010 22:57

Sweet Little Sixteen - but I did think Love Train was fun.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 21, 2010 23:03

1. Voodou
2. Steell wheels
3. Brigdes
4. forty licks---and Bigger bang
5. Some girls 78
6. Black and blue--76
7. 81-82-Tour

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Date: January 21, 2010 23:11

Havo
1. Voodou
2. Steell wheels
3. Brigdes
4. forty licks---and Bigger bang
5. Some girls 78
6. Black and blue--76
7. 81-82-Tour

Have you actually seen or heard the Stones play live from 1969-1973? Just curious.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 21, 2010 23:21

Heard them 71 Tele
Hyde park 69 and a some shows in europe 1973

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Date: January 21, 2010 23:31

Havo
Heard them 71 Tele
Hyde park 69 and a some shows in europe 1973

okey dokey!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2010 01:14

kleermaker - i wish I knew of some Jones era stuff fo r you but I don't. I'd like to know myself if there are any complet 1967 shows out there.

Date: January 22, 2010 01:45

slew
kleermaker - i wish I knew of some Jones era stuff fo r you but I don't. I'd like to know myself if there are any complet 1967 shows out there.

Maybe this is something for you. I guess you will find something you like there:

[www.iorr.org]

And this one:

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-22 01:59 by kleermaker.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home