Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Tour Rankings
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 18, 2010 18:21

Agree '67 was fascinating. Only left off my list because of my ignorance of it.

Date: January 18, 2010 18:32

Behorez said:

"Agree 1967 best tour ever, check out this one Brian playing the organ on Let's Spend and than the last few minutes of Satisfaction on this show, MSG's Satisfaction doesn't even come close!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic clip. Your comments about Brian playing the organ (incredible) and the MSG version of Satisfaction not even coming close are spot on! Yes, 1967 tour best Rolling Stones tour ever.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: January 18, 2010 19:32

Oy!

73 Europe
72 US/73 Pacific (tie)
(and surely) 11

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: January 18, 2010 21:22

Ok Loudie,
Just to clarify....Stones Never do MEDLIES!! I dont know what you were watching but that is not how a STONES show works.

I do have 27 of them under my belt, so...since 1975 to the present there hasn't been one show I've been to that I've ever heard a medly. And I don't expect to hear one either! Not from them.

And besides, 1978 sucked, really!! The Outfits Mick wore were horrible! The singing was terrible, the band wasnt tight. I dont know what people see in that tour or that time. Pretty much the 80's for Rock-n-Roll sucked...very few bright spots!

As far as I'm concerned the Stones get Better with each tour! But you can't FEEL that by watching VIDEO! You have to be there! The energy is AMAZING!! Butterflies and nervousness till the lights dim. Then the anticipation of the band stepping on stage and the first strum of Keith!!!!

Aahhh Man there is nothing like it! And there isn't a film out there that captures that excitement. But when youve actually been to a show or two, then you really know what it is to look at a film and remember the feeling!

So go to a Show and then comment!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 18, 2010 22:04

> And besides, 1978 sucked, really!! The Outfits Mick wore were horrible! The singing was terrible, the band wasnt tight. I dont know what people see in that tour or that time.

back to basics playing (lots of blues and rock and roll) with pure, original Stones attitude (aggresive, cool and cute). I don't care they were high all the time, I've got my boots and I'm in love with that tour.

> Just to clarify....Stones Never do MEDLIES!! I dont know what you were watching but that is not how a STONES show works.

actually they did once, in mid 70s: If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud. they were no Pink Floyd, though, thank God for that. fast and quick rock and roll numbers or long bluesy grooves - that's what the Stones are about! :-)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 18, 2010 22:11

Mickschick
Ok Loudie,
Just to clarify....Stones Never do MEDLIES!! I dont know what you were watching but that is not how a STONES show works.

I do have 27 of them under my belt, so...since 1975 to the present there hasn't been one show I've been to that I've ever heard a medly. And I don't expect to hear one either! Not from them.

If You Cant Rock Me/Get off of My cloud was played as a medley at every show on the 75-76 tour.

get off of my cloud/yesterdays Papers was a medley on the '67 tour. As was Goin' Home/satisfaction.

Satisfaction/Uptight was a medley at a few 1972 shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-18 22:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 18, 2010 22:42

Oh boy!

Listen dude first of all... when I write "medley" I meant that on the 2002 Licks tour they played three songs of a particular album on probably every show, it was like a section; - Mainly Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls and Let It bleed. That is what I meant about a Medley. They did play real medleys on the 75/76 tour so you know.

Second I ve been to every tour since 89' and for me a Mick Jagger outfit does not get the hair on my back to rise, either my pecker. The 78 tour is special for its raw, its rock n roll to the core approach and Bill and Charlies incredible groove. Yes for me is the music not the spectacle. Yes I am very unfortunate to have been only 7 years-old when it happened but it is my belief that this tour is their best.

Third , you write stuff as if I haven't been to a show ... I ve been to plenty of shows since 89' some great some terrible and I'll tell ya , i'll take the 78 tour anyday if I could.

You know I was at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami in 94... the pay per view. great show. I remember at the end, after all the fireworks, this 50 something bearded man sitting behind me, obviously some hippie or stones head or whatever some old fan. And he sat there with his eyes lost, like he was sorry the show ended, "I said hey man great show" he looked at me and just said "I saw them in 69" and I was like no way!!! and he said " they are much better now you know". So I guess everything is matter of taste isn't it, or he was just pulling my leg - who knows.

Mickschick
Ok Loudie,

And besides, 1978 sucked, really!! The Outfits Mick wore were horrible! The singing was terrible, the band wasnt tight. I dont know what people see in that tour or that time. Pretty much the 80's for Rock-n-Roll sucked...very few bright spots!

As far as I'm concerned the Stones get Better with each tour! But you can't FEEL that by watching VIDEO! You have to be there! The energy is AMAZING!! Butterflies and nervousness till the lights dim. Then the anticipation of the band stepping on stage and the first strum of Keith!!!!

Aahhh Man there is nothing like it! And there isn't a film out there that captures that excitement. But when youve actually been to a show or two, then you really know what it is to look at a film and remember the feeling!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 18, 2010 22:50

the stones get better with every tour? wow - imagine them about maybe 10 tours from now!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 18, 2010 23:40

Loudei
Oh boy!

Listen dude first of all... when I write "medley" I meant that on the 2002 Licks tour they played three songs of a particular album on probably every show, it was like a section; - Mainly Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls and Let It bleed. That is what I meant about a Medley. They did play real medleys on the 75/76 tour so you know.

Second I ve been to every tour since 89' and for me a Mick Jagger outfit does not get the hair on my back to rise, either my pecker. The 78 tour is special for its raw, its rock n roll to the core approach and Bill and Charlies incredible groove. Yes for me is the music not the spectacle. Yes I am very unfortunate to have been only 7 years-old when it happened but it is my belief that this tour is their best.

Third , you write stuff as if I haven't been to a show ... I ve been to plenty of shows since 89' some great some terrible and I'll tell ya , i'll take the 78 tour anyday if I could.

You know I was at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami in 94... the pay per view. great show. I remember at the end, after all the fireworks, this 50 something bearded man sitting behind me, obviously some hippie or stones head or whatever some old fan. And he sat there with his eyes lost, like he was sorry the show ended, "I said hey man great show" he looked at me and just said "I saw them in 69" and I was like no way!!! and he said " they are much better now you know". So I guess everything is matter of taste isn't it, or he was just pulling my leg - who knows.

Mickschick
Ok Loudie,

Wow Mickchick when did you become a dude? Yeah I agree 78 sucked big time. What a joke. As far a a medley goes Loudie. If You can't rock me leads into get off Of My Cloud with no break. That is not a medley. A medley is probabaly 50 to 60 sec of each tune with a total of maybe 4 or more. Go to vegas if you want to hear a medley.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 18, 2010 23:41

Mickschick
Ok Loudie,

Great post. I'm glad someone saw 78 as it was. just awful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-18 23:43 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: January 19, 2010 00:10

I'm not an American so i haven't seen the 78 tour first hand, but heard quite some bootlegs of that tour and seen footage and i think it was a great tour with a great album and a fresh new breath of air coming from the Stones, it was also one of their last real album promoting tours, and apart from the awfull clothes Jagger was wearing at this tour he was refreshing to see after his drag-queen act of 1976. No, 1978 is defenitly one of the great historic Stones tours, wheter you personally like it or not (we can't like everything the same, some hate Satanic, i love it, some love Sticky i think it is one of the lesser albums, but there you go)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-19 01:42 by behroez.

Date: January 19, 2010 00:20

behroez
I'm not an American so i haven't seen the 78 tour first hand, but heard quite some bootlegs of that tour and seen footage and i think it was a great tour with a great album and a fresh new breath of air coming from the Stones, it was also one of their last real album promoting tours, and apart from the awfull clothes Jagger was wearing at this tour he was refreshing to see after his drag-queen act of 1976. No 1978 is defenitly one of the great historic Stones tours, wheter you personally like it or not (we can't like everything the same, some hate Satanic, i love it, some love Sticky i think it is one of the lesser albums, but there you go)

I don't understand why so many people are hostile about the '78 tour. I saw two shows and they were both pretty good, and used to have the boot recorded at the Capitol Theatre. I wouldn't rank it as one of the best, but there were far worse tours, IMO, much more recently.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 19, 2010 00:31

I will take raw edge and nervous energy of the 78 tour over the slick Vegas productions of the post 89 tours anyday.....also love the set lists that tour.......

As far as the band getting better every tour??!! I have also been to shows for every tour since 75 and personally for me the band peaked with the BtB tour and as far as the ABB tour Keef, and to a lesser extent Ronnie, were embarrassing bad some shows....Don't see their playing getting better if there is a next time around..................

Date: January 19, 2010 00:41

I really will Like some fans here who did see them in 78 compare those shows with post 89' tours. It could get interesting.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 19, 2010 00:46

Undoubtedly musically the best: 1973 (Europe). Second best: 1972 (incredible versions of Love in vain, Midnight rambler, YCAGWYW). Then follow 1970 and 1969. But what about the England farewell tour, 1971? Leeds, Marquee Club? Maybe the very best of all concerts.

I've attended 1973 (Europe), 1976 and 1982. But they obviously lost a very great deal of blues after MT's departure. The Stones were originally a rhythm and blues band, with Taylor they were the best rock 'n roll/blues band of the world and since 1975 they are the greatest showbandsmiling smiley.

Date: January 19, 2010 01:16

More Hot Rocks
. If You can't rock me leads into get off Of My Cloud with no break. That is not a medley. A medley is probabaly 50 to 60 sec of each tune with a total of maybe 4 or more. Go to vegas if you want to hear a medley.

medley

• noun (pl. medleys) 1 a varied mixture. 2 a collection of songs or other musical items performed as a continuous piece.

(Oxford English Dictionary)

No definition there of how many it has to be, other than its more than one song. On 'Love You Live', its 2 songs performed as a continuous piece lasting 5 minutes. Both shorter than they would have been if played separately. Thats a pretty good example of a medley. Likewise with the ones played in '72 and '67.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-19 01:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 19, 2010 01:35

More Hot Rocks
I'm glad someone saw 78 as it was. just awful.

At least you´re consequent in judging "the overrated garbage" Some Girls
album with the following tour....

What I´ve listened to from this tour is really great...sure there must have been
some "off days",but that´s to say certainly from every tour.

Date: January 19, 2010 01:49

shortfatfanny
More Hot Rocks
I'm glad someone saw 78 as it was. just awful.

At least you´re consequent in judging "the overrated garbage" Some Girls
album with the following tour....

What I´ve listened to from this tour is really great...sure there must have been
some "off days",but that´s to say certainly from every tour.

The KBFH recordings show the tour in a terrific light, and thats what a lot of people tend to judge it on. However, the quality of performances over the 7 weeks and 26 shows (or whatever it was) varied from magnificent to crappy.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 19, 2010 01:56

'72 tour of states. period. mick keith taylor ian stewart, charlie watts, bill wyman nicky hopkins bobby keyes jim horn;

seventy minutes of FULL ON FULL THROTTLE rock...no costume changes, no bullshit, no makeup refresh...no friggin' archictectual monstrosity they call a 'stage'...

just the real deal. real rooted talent. in perfect synch...they guys who MADE THE RECORDS from lib thru ya yas and sf and exile etc...

promoting sf and exoms!! beat that. u can't.
no one can.

best tour ever...ever....ever....by anyone in rock. ever.

Date: January 19, 2010 01:59

'72 they toured behind a better new release than they did in '73, but I honestly think that performance-wise, the European tour in '73 just shades it. And not JUST because of one fantastic bootleg.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 19, 2010 02:11

well i love 73 too. again no big vegas stage; standard stage lighting and a ton of talent. great great stuff. one wished the stick up his arse sir jags would NOT sit on some of the historically BEST and MOST ACCOMPLISHED and MOST wonderful performances his band EVER came up with...
that's another story. or series of them...

i appreciate euro 73 too. i have brussels and some others...ok.. superb. no fight here...

personally i DO miss nicky and that thing he had with Stu.
i find preston an annoyance, even on stones material...generally speaking that's my issues with that...
taylor??? totally out of control and groundbreaking;;;; as ground breaking as ANY BLUES ROCK guitarist ever ever played. hendrix knew this...witness footage backstage '69 in new york...he just wants to touch micks sg...touching scene imo.

anyway...yeh Gazza, euro 73 is fantastic. i give more listens today!!!!
but am stickin' with '72 for now...comin' off sf and exiles???
seventy minutes of stomp till there's nothing left!! and everyone's happy???

u can't beat that imo.

Date: January 19, 2010 02:35

Hard to argue against it, beely. Truly they were pretty much at their peak through 72-73.

Date: January 19, 2010 03:26

Gazza
'72 they toured behind a better new release than they did in '73, but I honestly think that performance-wise, the European tour in '73 just shades it. And not JUST because of one fantastic bootleg.

Hard to compare two great tours, but I agree that '73 has the edge. The band went to another place and level of intensity behind Mick Taylor's exquisite playing. They also had the GHS material to draw from, which gave it some different colorings than '72. Preston was just right this tour - much too much in '75-'76.

Date: January 19, 2010 03:32

<< The KBFH recordings show the tour in a terrific light, and thats what a lot of people tend to judge it on. However, the quality of performances over the 7 weeks and 26 shows (or whatever it was) varied from magnificent to crappy. >>

Agreed. I saw two shows. They were on fire in Tucson, and a bit lethargic and unfocused in Anaheim a few days later, even though that show is much more talked about because it was a big stadium show, which was a novelty then. Personally, I thought the band seemed relieved to be lightened of the Billy Preston influence, or maybe that was just me projecting my feelings on them.

Date: January 19, 2010 03:36

Tucson is a great show thats somewhat overlooked as most fans tend to focus on the radio broadcasts or soundboard recordings. I've a decent, but not great recording of it, but its an excellent performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-19 03:37 by Gazza.

Date: January 19, 2010 03:41

71Tele
Gazza

Hard to compare two great tours, but I agree that '73 has the edge. The band went to another place and level of intensity behind Mick Taylor's exquisite playing. They also had the GHS material to draw from, which gave it some different colorings than '72. Preston was just right this tour - much too much in '75-'76.

'76 was the utter nadir for me aside from some of the shows on the last tour. They were still PLAYING pretty well (occasionally brilliantly) in '75, but '76 was very spotty indeed, and Mick's singing was probably his worst ever performance-wise, plus the pouting and arse-wiggling had really crossed well into 'self parody' territory.

Still wouldnt have minded seeing them though had I been old enough to go!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-19 03:43 by Gazza.

Date: January 19, 2010 04:00

How can some of you regard the bridges to Babylon tour better than Steel wheels tour considering Wyman was still playing bass... I really believe Wyman's playing changed the bands sound forever. Hey I think Darryl Jones is a great musician, however the chemistry between Charlie and Bill were essential to bands music onstage. I am not knockin the current lineup or current orchestra but you have to admit that Bill Wyman with Charlie Watts is not the same as Charlie and Darryl Jones. I haven't heard a post 94 version of Tumblin Dice swinging? Have you?

Date: January 19, 2010 04:15

Loudei
How can some of you regard the bridges to Babylon tour better than Steel wheels tour considering Wyman was still playing bass... I really believe Wyman's playing changed the bands sound forever. Hey I think Darryl Jones is a great musician, however the chemistry between Charlie and Bill were essential to bands music onstage. I am not knockin the current lineup or current orchestra but you have to admit that Bill Wyman with Charlie Watts is not the same as Charlie and Darryl Jones. I haven't heard a post 94 version of Tumblin Dice swinging? Have you?

Any tour with Wyman better than any tour without.

Any tour with Taylor better than any that came after.

Date: January 19, 2010 04:17

In my heart I believe that Wyman and Watts section is as important to the band as Jagger Richards

71Tele
Loudei

Any tour with Wyman better than any tour without.

Any tour with Taylor better than any that came after.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 19, 2010 09:45

More Hot Rocks
Mickschick
Ok Loudie,

Great post. I'm glad someone saw 78 as it was. just awful.

Hey that's not fair - you two are married....of courser you agree with eachother - one less thiing to fight about over breakfast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-19 09:53 by Erik_Snow.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home