Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
if the stones quit today.
Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 4, 2010 17:32

and anounced the intention to never make another record or do another concert.

how would we all feel.

i would be obviously dissapointed but happy and relieved that they would finish with thier legacy intact having ended thier stones career in 2007 after 45 years.

the way things are at present with no stones anouncements and despite the rumours no one really knows whats going to happen and all we do is worry that they dont overstay thier welcome in the music industry and that isnt guarenteed either.

they have to finish one day but hopefully it will be on a high instead of replacing band members with others and hiring more backing musicians etc while the existing band members are struggling to recapture the high standards they set in the past then struggling for a few more years yet when they look embarrasing on stage.

couldnt hack it if it ended that way.

Re: if the stones quit today.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 4, 2010 17:35

I ain't gonna worry about it.

Whatever happens just happens. Not much we can do about it.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 4, 2010 17:45

sorta already seems like they quit - they quit trying awhile ago, anyway....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 4, 2010 18:15

yeah...they decided to be a touring act doing the hits. but one area they raised the bar, so to speak, is stage design.
as for recording, new material, etc..not much there. its all versions and re-workings of the same song forms, isn't it?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 4, 2010 18:58

What band doesn't do that? If they did a classic country album that would be different right? Or...a rap album.

Date: January 4, 2010 19:03

yeah they gotta stick with their roots. stay with the ones who brought 'em to the party...

I mean they can't very well record an album of spirituals or something, can they?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:03

To this day, the Rolling Stones are spearheading Rock N Roll in its classic form. They have been there since the beginning. That makes them special from a historical perspective. Even if the unlikely happened that is mentioned in the thread title, the band and their acheivements would remain special and unparalleled for quite a while into the future. It's great that they have been carrying on as long as they do. May they continue to thrive.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:07

I would be very sad.

sad smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:07

They'll tour again and do it right because they are professionals and know how and what the mass market want. They will be good, as always, and we'll love them.

Lets just wait as we always have and see what happens.No point in speculating, they won't quit yet.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:10

This new tour, if it indeed does happen, will most likely be their last one huh, especially if it does go for 3 years like some people are speculating, to make it 50 years. It's getting close to that. Of course, they won't say it though...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:12

Its been a good run so no big deal.

Not alot happens now and a new tour is not particularly exciting.

I dread the 'set list' 'keith can't play' threads that'll happen here.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:16

ablett
Its been a good run so no big deal.

Not alot happens now and a new tour is not particularly exciting.

Some times the truth hurts............

Date: January 4, 2010 19:20

ablett

you dread the threads? how about the realities that prompt those threads? ;-)

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:30

They will end on a high note at the closing ceremonies of the London Olympics in 2012; on the world's biggest stage with viewers from around the world listening to JJF played for the final time live by the world's greatest rock 'n roll band. Ronnie will celebrate two years of continuous sobreity by then and they can all say goodbye to both the world viewers and nuts like us who actually care when they retire.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:47

So be it

Date: January 4, 2010 19:50

georgeV
They will end on a high note at the closing ceremonies of the London Olympics in 2012; on the world's biggest stage with viewers from around the world listening to JJF played for the final time live by the world's greatest rock 'n roll band. Ronnie will celebrate two years of continuous sobreity by then and they can all say goodbye to both the world viewers and nuts like us who actually care when they retire.

this sounds about right...hope you're right about Ronnie.
and Wyman and Taylor will be playing at that show as well..

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:51

"Some times the truth hurts............"

I don't doubt that for one second.

"you dread the threads? how about the realities that prompt those threads? ;-)"

Yes, I dread the threads. Same as all the usual MT/RW stuff. It kills this board!

Same old same old.....

Posted by: Doxa ()

I think they will never call it quits... one day they just don't do anything big together any longer, and there will not be a forecoming tour... when it is that will be known only in hindsight. In the worst case after something terrible happens to one of to the main guys. But as long as Mick, Keith, and probably Charlie are still around us and somewhat healthy The Stones do exist in some sense of the word, and they will be surrounded with rumours. The last gig might have turned to be the last of the London ones in 2007 like many guessed at the time - but most likely it wasn't.

I think the possibility of The Stones to 'exist' like this (now and forever) is that they haven't been any cohesive, breathing band or a unit for a long time. The band is not their 'destiny' or a 'way of life' but a nice option for multi-millioner senior citizens - who have been there, seen and done it all - to be taken out of the closet if they feel like going on one more time and enjoy their super-star status and all of its glory and flavor and attention and last but not least do 'some' more money. Why to kill that option by stating something banal as like "this is it" when they most seemingly don't need tricks that like to sell more tickets? Let the people - and the press - do that calculation of the possible last chance to see the Stones by themselves... The band wisely leaves the option of further gigs always open...

I think the result is that there never will be an exact date when the band called it quits - some day we will notice that the band just didn't show up any longer, and I guess quite many of us will be not too sorry for that or feeling that we have missed something noteworthy then...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-04 20:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: deuce ()

Who cares? Honestly, what would be the difference at this point?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 4, 2010 20:19

I don't think they wil quit officaly.

I had a great time all my live with the Stones, so I don't thimk I will be disapointed......it can't last for years

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 4, 2010 20:46

As I wrote in another thread, they still stay in my mind
The Greatest Rock'n'roll Band in the World ever !
It will be the end of a part of my life...

HMN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 20:47

I don't know about you guys but I feel that would be the end of my youth . Although in reality it was my youth has been long gone it just seems as if they are still around it feels like I'm still in my twenties .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-04 20:47 by boston2006.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 4, 2010 20:59

It wouldn't faze me a pound. What a stupid question.

Date: January 4, 2010 21:46

ablett
Yes, I dread the threads. Same as all the usual MT/RW stuff. It kills this board!

i'm not sure how robust discussions about the band can kill a board dedicated to the band...but, then, i'm not sure about lotsa stuff...

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:00

dread the threads?

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:15

I don't think I would be terribly broken up if they actually came out and called it a day . I think I would actually prefer that they did. Then there would be no more half ass playing by Keith and Ronnie ( who by the way seems to have completely lost his mind) . And no more 20 people on stage posing as the Rolling Stones. Let;s face it. The can't cut it anymore and the should just let it go. Maybe we all should and when we talk about them we can remember them with smiles on our faces. smiling smiley

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:17

I have the same feelings as Honestman and Boston2006 - and as mentioned previously,I feel that one day someone on here will post a thread asking "what is happening with the stones?- its been years since the last tour?" But all good things must come to an end sad but true lets hope there are more great memories to be had before it happens.

Posted by: stonesfan ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:45

Then I saw the 2 very last shows they Playsmoking smiley.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:50

It was a great ride. And, a long ride! But, until they all say never, I will always put out hope while Mick and Keith are alive.

If they quit today, I would like to say to them: THANK YOU for the good times!!!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:55

Natlanta
dread the threads?

I dread the dread threads!

-------

If "quit" meant no more concerts or recording in this current incarnation--if it would mean more of what they've been doing the past dozen+ years--I'd respect their decision to quit.

I don't feel my youth would end with their ending. I've felt their youth ended so long ago. I love Keith, Mick, and Charlie. But Mick physically is beautiful and youthful esp for his age, but to me seems wizened and bitter, persnicketty, greedy, and brittle. Which supercedes his being able to gallop around the stage mugging and bellowing. Keith with his continued drunkenness and daffy clown bit seems more immature than youthful or exuberant. Charlie alone seems ageless to me---like age is irrelevant to his being who he is and doing what he loves.

If quit meant that they were dialing back, and figuring out who they are now as individuals and artists. And if that meant they would continue creating on their own or in projects together, I would be ecstatic for them, and for us.

The institution of the Rolling Stones has lived long and given us much. The artists themselves as individuals have been becoming dessicated and self-deriviative for many years. In terms of creativity--without those sparks of intensity and life, wandering in unknown domains creatively--these guys are just not that compelling as a band to me.

I would rather hear Mick Jagger really be into something, and I don't care what it is. It could well be a gospel album. Or a rap album. Or medieval ballads. Anything that Mick Jagger, or Keith for that matter, were overbrimming with fire and passion about. Anything they would be willing to try -- without self-consciousness, ego, or fear. Anything.

If they aren't able to do that...I left them waaaay in the dust as far as my "youth." And I know many OLD people who are still pushing boundaries, taking risks, embracing that terrifying/wonderful stuff called their own creativity. And you see it in the spark of life in their eyes.

The comment above about the Stones know how to mass market and therefore will come up with something good is 100% opposite of how I think. The Stones Corporation (and Mick) knows how to mass market---and the Stones have become victimized, thwarted, by their own success. They are serving the mass market at the expense of being authentic, creative, and taking risks.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home