Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: if the stones quit today.
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 5, 2010 02:38

headly123
I don't think I would be terribly broken up if they actually came out and called it a day . I think I would actually prefer that they did. Then there would be no more half ass playing by Keith and Ronnie ( who by the way seems to have completely lost his mind) . And no more 20 people on stage posing as the Rolling Stones. Let;s face it. The can't cut it anymore and the should just let it go. Maybe we all should and when we talk about them we can remember them with smiles on our faces. smiling smiley

As far I'm concerned, your sentiments are spot on...Whether the Stones are not touring because of Ronnie Wood's escapades or because of possible poor ticket sales due to current economic factors, I am actually relieved...I want to remember the Rolling Stones in a positive light, rather than as a bunch of irrevelant, musical has beens. They should have the class and integrity to call it quits while they are still regarded by many as the greatest rock and roll/live act in the world.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 5, 2010 02:45

i think it would be best
open the vaults too

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2010 02:49

Vaults won't save us .... ain't no use goin' back ...new album

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 5, 2010 03:03

Rockman
Vaults won't save us .... ain't no use goin' back ...new album

....new album? Oh right, so the Stones can repeat what they did (at least towards the last half of) the Bigger Bang tour and play a setlist consisting of two new songs padded with stale warhorses?? Yep, makes me want to plunk down between $300-$400 to see them....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:00

Yep, makes me want to plunk down between $300-$400 to see them....

Just because they release a new album doesn't mean
ya have ta go to a show if ya not happy with ticket prices...

Besides everyone goes on about openin' the vaults but what exactly
is there in there? 500 unreleased tracks? ... probably not..More like a ton of unfinished stuff...

Over the years a number of different artists have reissued CD's with
bonus material from sessions related to that particular album and when ya
hear it ya know why it didn't make it to the original release

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:01

Rockman
new album

That'd be cool. Just playing for their own fun and enjoyment. I'm not sure that Keith has his chops, sadly. Maybe they can create some fun and magic. Combination of a few decent new songs and covers of their own songs might be cool, along with covers of others' blues and rock n roll music.

The spectacle of a Rolling Stones concert tour has grown enormous and far bigger than the music. Concerts have gotten prohibitively expensive. If they stop touring, I'll be able to say that I saw them on every single tour since '69.

Mick, Keith... if you play a show here or there, sit on stools. Just play. You'd be forgiven for being older yet.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:20

there's no quitting in rock'n'roll...or something

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 04:26 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 5, 2010 06:17

swiss
Natlanta
dread the threads?

I dread the dread threads!

-------

If "quit" meant no more concerts or recording in this current incarnation--if it would mean more of what they've been doing the past dozen+ years--I'd respect their decision to quit.

I don't feel my youth would end with their ending. I've felt their youth ended so long ago. I love Keith, Mick, and Charlie. But Mick physically is beautiful and youthful esp for his age, but to me seems wizened and bitter, persnicketty, greedy, and brittle. Which supercedes his being able to gallop around the stage mugging and bellowing. Keith with his continued drunkenness and daffy clown bit seems more immature than youthful or exuberant. Charlie alone seems ageless to me---like age is irrelevant to his being who he is and doing what he loves.

If quit meant that they were dialing back, and figuring out who they are now as individuals and artists. And if that meant they would continue creating on their own or in projects together, I would be ecstatic for them, and for us.

The institution of the Rolling Stones has lived long and given us much. The artists themselves as individuals have been becoming dessicated and self-deriviative for many years. In terms of creativity--without those sparks of intensity and life, wandering in unknown domains creatively--these guys are just not that compelling as a band to me.

I would rather hear Mick Jagger really be into something, and I don't care what it is. It could well be a gospel album. Or a rap album. Or medieval ballads. Anything that Mick Jagger, or Keith for that matter, were overbrimming with fire and passion about. Anything they would be willing to try -- without self-consciousness, ego, or fear. Anything.

If they aren't able to do that...I left them waaaay in the dust as far as my "youth." And I know many OLD people who are still pushing boundaries, taking risks, embracing that terrifying/wonderful stuff called their own creativity. And you see it in the spark of life in their eyes.

The comment above about the Stones know how to mass market and therefore will come up with something good is 100% opposite of how I think. The Stones Corporation (and Mick) knows how to mass market---and the Stones have become victimized, thwarted, by their own success. They are serving the mass market at the expense of being authentic, creative, and taking risks.

thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful and engaging post.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 5, 2010 09:20

Wonder if any of The Stones or their management is reading this and it will somehow bring them to a decison on whether or not to continue.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 5, 2010 09:31

i would hope that the vaults would open up and they would release alot of unreleased material. that is all that i hope for in the future.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 5, 2010 12:10

Natlanta
dread the threads?

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 5, 2010 20:15

Sad, Sad, Sad!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 5, 2010 20:40

Beelyboy
swiss
Natlanta
dread the threads?

I dread the dread threads!

-------

If "quit" meant no more concerts or recording in this current incarnation--if it would mean more of what they've been doing the past dozen+ years--I'd respect their decision to quit.

I don't feel my youth would end with their ending. I've felt their youth ended so long ago. I love Keith, Mick, and Charlie. But Mick physically is beautiful and youthful esp for his age, but to me seems wizened and bitter, persnicketty, greedy, and brittle. Which supercedes his being able to gallop around the stage mugging and bellowing. Keith with his continued drunkenness and daffy clown bit seems more immature than youthful or exuberant. Charlie alone seems ageless to me---like age is irrelevant to his being who he is and doing what he loves.

If quit meant that they were dialing back, and figuring out who they are now as individuals and artists. And if that meant they would continue creating on their own or in projects together, I would be ecstatic for them, and for us.

The institution of the Rolling Stones has lived long and given us much. The artists themselves as individuals have been becoming dessicated and self-deriviative for many years. In terms of creativity--without those sparks of intensity and life, wandering in unknown domains creatively--these guys are just not that compelling as a band to me.

I would rather hear Mick Jagger really be into something, and I don't care what it is. It could well be a gospel album. Or a rap album. Or medieval ballads. Anything that Mick Jagger, or Keith for that matter, were overbrimming with fire and passion about. Anything they would be willing to try -- without self-consciousness, ego, or fear. Anything.

If they aren't able to do that...I left them waaaay in the dust as far as my "youth." And I know many OLD people who are still pushing boundaries, taking risks, embracing that terrifying/wonderful stuff called their own creativity. And you see it in the spark of life in their eyes.

The comment above about the Stones know how to mass market and therefore will come up with something good is 100% opposite of how I think. The Stones Corporation (and Mick) knows how to mass market---and the Stones have become victimized, thwarted, by their own success. They are serving the mass market at the expense of being authentic, creative, and taking risks.

thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful and engaging post.

Thanks for saying so, Beelyboy!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 5, 2010 20:46

frankotero
Wonder if any of The Stones or their management is reading this and it will somehow bring them to a decison on whether or not to continue.

I wonder too....what their reaction would be generally to this thread. I betcha they'd be wicked surprised that, literally, some of the most diehard fans in the world are NOT champing at the bit that they put on another touring spectacle. For Stones Corp, it's solely a matter of economics, of ROI. They may surprise us with coming up with a scaled-back version of recent tours that makes sense economically for them - and re: wear and tear on the Stones themselves. Smaller venues, less lavish sets, even higher ticket prices.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 5, 2010 21:39

Personally, I think Mick is far from finished, and if the Stones wrapped things up, he could well have another 5 years of recording ahead of him. His voice and his phrasing are as good as ever, and the challenge of having to work outside of the Stones bubble might well be the making of a new lease of life that he wouldn't have otherwise.

Charlie also still has a great deal to offer. Time will tell how he chooses to express that.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 5, 2010 22:35

---------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 22:37 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 5, 2010 23:20

Doxa summed it up perfectly on the first page.

Posted by: backstage ()
Date: January 6, 2010 08:19

.... times waits for no one,,, and it aint waiting for them..........

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 6, 2010 12:01

They're not done! I'd bet my house, my guitar, my nuts and my life that we'll get a new tour, a new album and some sort of compilation (Vaults or Greatest Hits) within 2010. All this talk about stopping and bowing out all seems too familiar, regardless of what their spokesman said. We've seen this before. Why should things be different now? The economy? The state of Ronnie's drinking? Keith's ability to play? Phhhh. I scoff at this ignorance. They've done it before to great results, in spite of those things. I don't wanna hear about people's constant reminders that on the last tour they were so and so old. But now... NOW they're 4 years further down that road. News flash: People get older, and still has the ability to do what they want. "Yeah, but you must take Keith and Ron's drinking and drugging through the years into account". No shit? Didn't we have to do that on all the last tours also? And there STILL was a great tour. It's been said that they are not doing a tour in 2010, but it was the same story before A Bigger Bang and before Licks. Is there any indication that the modus operandi of their PR machine has changed? Not that I'm aware of. They're not stopping. You don't leave, 'cept in a coffin, so sit back, relax and wait for the official news: COMING SOON!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 6, 2010 12:21

Bliss
Personally, I think Mick is far from finished, and if the Stones wrapped things up, he could well have another 5 years of recording ahead of him. His voice and his phrasing are as good as ever, and the challenge of having to work outside of the Stones bubble might well be the making of a new lease of life that he wouldn't have otherwise.

Charlie also still has a great deal to offer. Time will tell how he chooses to express that.

Yes,sure but Mick + Charlie aren't "enough" ....
Don't know why but I am almost sure the Stones won't & acn't quit 'that way" ...come on men ,do what you've got to do !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 6, 2010 19:05

JumpingKentFlash
They're not done! I'd bet my house, my guitar, my nuts and my life that we'll get a new tour, a new album and some sort of compilation (Vaults or Greatest Hits) within 2010. All this talk about stopping and bowing out all seems too familiar, regardless of what their spokesman said. We've seen this before. Why should things be different now? The economy? The state of Ronnie's drinking? Keith's ability to play? Phhhh. I scoff at this ignorance. They've done it before to great results, in spite of those things. I don't wanna hear about people's constant reminders that on the last tour they were so and so old. But now... NOW they're 4 years further down that road. News flash: People get older, and still has the ability to do what they want. "Yeah, but you must take Keith and Ron's drinking and drugging through the years into account". No shit? Didn't we have to do that on all the last tours also? And there STILL was a great tour. It's been said that they are not doing a tour in 2010, but it was the same story before A Bigger Bang and before Licks. Is there any indication that the modus operandi of their PR machine has changed? Not that I'm aware of. They're not stopping. You don't leave, 'cept in a coffin, so sit back, relax and wait for the official news: COMING SOON!!!!

can someone find a glass of cold water to splash on our delirious friend here?

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: January 6, 2010 19:42

NO they wont quit.
when Chuck berry was at their age, he had 20+ years more to go.
They wont go that far, but they havent quit. I promise
We will see them again, so dont be disappointed that all your rumours werent true..

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 6, 2010 19:44

It seems to me they have already called it quits. They no longer tour to support new albums so much as to play their hits. They appear to have no interest in being current or viable unlike some of their contemporaries, such as Neil Young and Bob Dylan who play lots of new material at their shows. It's as if they have little or no confidence in the newer songs. If they did, wouldn't they play them?

Date: January 6, 2010 19:55

StonesTod
JumpingKentFlash
They're not done! I'd bet my house, my guitar, my nuts and my life that we'll get a new tour, a new album and some sort of compilation (Vaults or Greatest Hits) within 2010. .... They're not stopping. You don't leave, 'cept in a coffin, so sit back, relax and wait for the official news: COMING SOON!!!!

Awww ,JumpingKentFlash ,if I was you I wouldn't bet your g..uitar cool smiley

But I am "with you " on that one ,because this quote means something ,right ?
Cash your dreams before they slip away....
Lose your dreams and you
Will lose your mind

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 6, 2010 20:18

ChrisM
It seems to me they have already called it quits. They no longer tour to support new albums so much as to play their hits. They appear to have no interest in being current or viable unlike some of their contemporaries, such as Neil Young and Bob Dylan who play lots of new material at their shows. It's as if they have little or no confidence in the newer songs. If they did, wouldn't they play them?

i guess "quit" is a term subject to interpretation...and i agree with you that in a sense they quit being a band many many years ago. they are a group of business associates who occasionally pool resources to bilk many of the followers of the former band to line their pockets by playing nostalgia shows and occasionally delighting them with a new tune or three....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2010 20:19

SwayStones
StonesTod
JumpingKentFlash
They're not done! I'd bet my house, my guitar, my nuts and my life that we'll get a new tour, a new album and some sort of compilation (Vaults or Greatest Hits) within 2010. .... They're not stopping. You don't leave, 'cept in a coffin, so sit back, relax and wait for the official news: COMING SOON!!!!

Lose your dreams and you
Will lose your mind

More water please.................

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 6, 2010 20:22

NICOS
SwayStones
StonesTod
JumpingKentFlash

Lose your dreams and you
Will lose your mind

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 6, 2010 20:28

Lots of Iorrians swan diving off their local bridge.

Date: January 6, 2010 20:52

NICOS
SwayStones
StonesTod
JumpingKentFlash

Lose your dreams and you
Will lose your mind

More water ???

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 6, 2010 21:21

>>Yes,sure but Mick + Charlie aren't "enough" ....

Not enough to be the Stones perhaps, but certainly enough to create something valuable. I'm one of the few here who really likes Mick's solo work and would welcome more of it, especially if he did not try to re-create a rock band but instead focussed on being a vocal soloist, eg, a blues album.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home