Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 14, 2009 19:06

GREAT Album....I never did understand why more people didn't love it...I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Keith and Mick kind of didn't work together on this one. Mick use one producer and Keith had another one. But for me it really rocks..It reminds me of TY.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: December 14, 2009 19:23

oldschool
IMHO the BTB tour was the last where Kef and Ronnie were on just about every night. Their playing has gone down every tour since then..........

Agree that Keith was "on," but during long stretches of a lot of shows I wondered if Ronnie was even turned on. I usually liked what he played, but usually could not hear him -- literally. For me, this is the most "absent" tour for Ronnie.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: December 14, 2009 19:36

One of their best albums and a good single after a lot of years.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 14, 2009 22:55

They really did seem interested in playing. More so than the previous two tours at least ha ha. But that was a pretty good 3 year run for the Stones.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 14, 2009 23:07

B2B tour was, for me, the peak of the latter-day Stones (which I guess most of us agree is post 1989). The Licks tour had many moments of greatness, and some of the most inspired shows of the last 20 years, but all in all Bridges/No Security outings stand apart. It was the last time I felt as if I was seeing a band that was more relevant and less a nostalgia act.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 14, 2009 23:14

In the wind some mournful melody agrees with the imposter!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 14, 2009 23:21

BTB is not a bad album. some songs are actualy quite good. but what is missing, is a certain mood, a message, a vibe. it's just a collection of some cool tunes and some mediocre ones...
but its not compact, has no direction. a bit like IORR in away... didnt like the artwork either...the tour was not as good as VL, but looking back probably the last tour when it was still a band in a way and not just a nostalgia-act...

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 14, 2009 23:43

guitarbastard
BTB is not a bad album. some songs are actualy quite good. but what is missing, is a certain mood, a message, a vibe. it's just a collection of some cool tunes and some mediocre ones...
but its not compact, has no direction. a bit like IORR in away... didnt like the artwork either...the tour was not as good as VL, but looking back probably the last tour when it was still a band in a way and not just a nostalgia-act...

Exactly, that's pretty much what I have been saying all along. Voodoo and Steel Wheels were at least more consistent, and the songs all seemed to fit together. B2B is just all over the place and a lot of the songs don't really seem to complement each other. It reminds me a little more of Black and Blue though, conceptually at least, than IORR. The songs on the latter album seem to better fit together to my ears. B & B - while I love moments of it - is just all over the place.

I actually do like the artwork, even if I am not so sure I get what it;s supposed to represent.

Date: December 14, 2009 23:56

Uneven quality of the producers, uneven quality of songwriting. Added with a strange collection of highly different songs, the albums suffers, imo. While some of the songs are brilliant (How Can I Stop, Lowdown, Saint Of Me), there is no consistency at all.

Albums like Some Girls, which also included lots of different music (Trailer country, punk rock, disco, rock´n´roll, pop, ska-ish rock), there was a vibe, a natural direction and feel to the album. B2B lacks all of that, imo.

Date: December 15, 2009 01:06

You guys are deep

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 15, 2009 03:59

Last album with songs I truly love from beginning to end. Only flaw is the remix of "Juiced" replacing the take Don Was produced. Heard a snippet of the original take (rumored to be included on MEMORY HOTEL) during VH1's coverage of the tour press conference. It was playing while the band drove over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: December 15, 2009 04:14

Rocky Dijon
Last album with songs I truly love from beginning to end. Only flaw is the remix of "Juiced" replacing the take Don Was produced. Heard a snippet of the original take (rumored to be included on MEMORY HOTEL) during VH1's coverage of the tour press conference. It was playing while the band drove over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Would be great to hear that snipped. Do you have it in digital format? Or anyone?

It's a real shame Memory Hotel never got out.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 15, 2009 05:23

Nope. Wish I did. Used to have it on VHS. My tapes went "missing" some years ago between houses.

Date: December 15, 2009 05:48

That's bizarre. I searched youtube and Google Videos and found ZERO!

But I did find this:

[www.stones.at]

Date: December 15, 2009 05:58

Is this legit?

Date: December 15, 2009 06:14

What is the Memory Hotel?

Date: December 15, 2009 06:42

skipstone
That's bizarre. I searched youtube and Google Videos and found ZERO!

But I did find this:

[www.stones.at]

Perhaps someone in the Hot Stuff section can help us out.

The Bridges To Babylon remixes CD's are boots. They're full of fake remixes. Loops and stuff created to make them sound like remixes... but they fool no one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-15 06:53 by Hillside Blues.

Date: December 15, 2009 06:48

DeliveranceStraightwayHoliness
What is the Memory Hotel?

It was a CD planned for release back in 1999, but got canceled in the final weeks.

Was supposed to contain outtakes from the Voodoo and Babylon sessions. Many great tracks were rumored to be on that list. Such as Might As Well Get Juiced (raw and bluesy version), Fiji Jim reworked just like So Young was... and many more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-15 07:58 by Hillside Blues.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 16, 2009 09:31

If this album had begun with out of control.......................

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 16, 2009 09:48

benon again
The last album with mysterious atmosphere and groove from first notes of Flip the Switch to How Can I stop last cymbal....The best production since Tatoo You.

Great observation benon. Mysterious atmosphere is not something normnally applied to critque of Stones albums. Goats Head Soup had it in spades as did Satanic, Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky, Exile, and Undercover.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:59

The last album before ABB. Not so great as ABB but one of the ten best albums I think. Never loved the tune with the loopings (have forgotten the title in the moment) but on the other side we have great Stones typical tracks as "Flip the Switch" or "Too Tight" which is a real rocker.

Date: December 16, 2009 14:02

BTB and ABB. Goog Mick Jagger "with the Rolling Stones" album

Date: December 16, 2009 14:43

As a creative work, Bridges To Babylon makes A Bigger Bang look like a cheap Pro-Tools demo.

Not only is Bridges the last album before Bang, it's also the first album before Bang.

Date: December 16, 2009 14:45

Both albums have the same problem: They are not a group since many years ago........ Jagger's solo album with the help of The Rolling Stones

Date: December 16, 2009 14:50

<Not only is Bridges the last album before Bang, it's also the first album before Bang.>

So GHS wasn't released before Bang? winking smiley

Date: December 16, 2009 14:54

It's funny what facts some people will point out without any context at all that don't need to be pointed out.

Date: December 16, 2009 14:57

There are no links between the first three songs; it seems to me that i am hearing songs from different eras and groups. The first one is from Some Girls; the second one is an overproduced MJ's song from a solo album, and the third one is KR's song sang by Mick jagger............. The ballad is plagio, and saint of me reminds me SimplY Red. Too tight is wonderful!! How can i stop is a gem!!! Gunface has a real new feeling, but KR and Rw's guitars are fillers, the main guitar is MJ, because almost the whole album is Jagger's as ABB is

Posted by: RG ()
Date: December 16, 2009 15:20

Don't underestimate ABB so much.
After all B2B rocks 'saint of me' is great.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home