Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Don't Stop
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 19, 2016 09:17

Start Me Up >
Don't Stop >
Stop! and smell The Roses!

2 1 2 0

Date: January 19, 2016 10:46

How Can I Stop
Stop Breakin' Down

Date: January 19, 2016 11:24

Stop! in the name of Love
Stop! your sobbing
Stop Stop Stop

2 1 2 0

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 19, 2016 11:45

Deplorable. Forgettable. Shameful. Filler.
In my circle of friends I'm almost the only one who likes the Stones and it's songs like this which makes it very hard to defend it.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 19, 2016 12:11

At first I didn´t like it very much - in fact I was a bit disappointed, considered the song lame and tame radio-pop and missed rough and attacking guitars. I wished for something more aggressive like Flip The Switch or One Hit To The Body and Don´t Stop wasn´t anything like that.

As time went by, I started to like it more and more, just like the other three new songs on Forty Licks. If they had continued to work on an album in 2002, the resulting album would have been very good at least, I guess.

Don´t Stop is very catchy, melodious and beautifully executed by the world´s greatest RnR-band, a true gem with gorgeous vocals by Mick. One of their best songs in decades. If it would have been on Exile, fans would praise it. It´s a pity that they dont do it live anymore, it´s a latter-day-Stones-highlight and an absolute pleasure to listen to. Nine points out of ten from me.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 13:03

don't

stop

don't

stop

don't

stop

I like it

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 19, 2016 13:59

camper88
Turner68

it's more than a traffic sign if you take the interpretation i describe above!
thanks for sharing the poetry camper88. who wrote it?

Turner, it's from Andrew Marvell's To His Coy Mistress--textbook lover's plea (literally).

Nice one camper, but I think if we're looking at the Cavalier poets, Robert Herrick's To the Virgins to Make Much of Time, would be more Mick like. I wonder how many times he's used it. winking smiley

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And, while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
You may forever tarry.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 18:25

latebloomer

Nice one camper, but I think if we're looking at the Cavalier poets, Robert Herrick's To the Virgins to Make Much of Time, would be more Mick like. I wonder how many times he's used it. winking smiley

Not sure that Mick needed much in the way of courtin verse.
I think his body does a lot of talking for him.

I'm reminded of another poem:

Mostly Mick Jagger
by Catie Rosemurgy

Thank god he stuck his tongue out.
When I was twelve I was in danger
of taking my body seriously.
I thought the ache in my nipple was priceless.
I thought I should stay very still
and compare it to a button,
a china saucer,
a flash in a car side-mirror,
so I could name the ache either big or little,
then keep it forever. He blew no one a kiss,
then turned into a maw.

After I saw him, when a wish moved in my pants.
I nurtured it. I stalked around my room
kicking my feet up just like him, making
a big deal of my lips. I was my own big boy.
I wouldn’t admit it then,
but be definitely cocks his hip
as if he is his own little girl.

People ask me--I make up interviews
while I brush my teeth--“So, what do you remember best
about your childhood?” I say
mostly the drive toward Chicago.
Feeling as if I’m being slowly pressed against the skyline.
Hoping to break a window.
Mostly quick handfuls of boys’ skin.
Summer twilights that took forever to get rid of.
Mostly Mick Jagger.

How do I explain my hungry stare?
My Friday night spent changing clothes?
My love for travel? I rewind the way he says “now”
with so much roof of the mouth.
I rewind until I get a clear image of myself:
I’m telling the joke he taught me
about my body. My mouth is stretched open
so I don’t laugh. My hands are pretending
to have just discovered my own face.
My name is written out in metal studs
across my little pink jumper.
I’ve got a mirror and a good idea
of the way I want my face to look.
When I glance sideways my smile should twitch
as if a funny picture of me is taped up
inside the corner of my eye.
A picture where my hair is combed over each shoulder,
my breasts are well-supported, and my teeth barely show.
A picture where I’m trying hard to say “beautiful.”

He always says “This is my skinny rib cage,
my one, two chest hairs.”
That’s all he ever says.
Think of a bird with no feathers
or think of a hundred lips bruising every inch of his skin.
There are no pictures of him hoping
he said the right thing.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:07

God I hate current poetry.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:30

Don´t Stop has great lyrics, btw.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:58

Love It, a very modern catchy tune. One of my faves to drive around with the windows down

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2016 00:24

matxil
Deplorable. Forgettable. Shameful. Filler.
In my circle of friends I'm almost the only one who likes the Stones and it's songs like this which makes it very hard to defend it.

If this was an example of the majority of their output, I don't believe I could be a Stones fan.

Rather unbelievable that someone along the way to recording and producing this thing didn't grab Mick by the collar, shake him and say, "YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!".

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:11

24FPS
God I hate current poetry.

Some of it isn't bad...I like that one camper, thanks for posting.

So, what do you remember best
about your childhood?”...
Mostly Mick Jagger.

What a lovely childhood she must have had. smileys with beer

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:53

The chorus is so lame it just kills the song completely. I don't mind the lyrics at all, but the chorus is a zombie chorus, stiff as a brick. The guitar chords are somewhat appealing but they are at least two steps away from a great guitar song. So ultimately they languish and are almost as rigor mortis inducing as the chorus.

Listen to this song too many times and you will stiffen up and die. Time to bring back the planking craze.

From the Don't Stop Hater's Club.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 04:08

A tired boring song that I so wanted to like. Basically, a solo Mick song pawned off on the lads to play as his backing band. And the fancy guitar cam didn't do a thing to bring excitement. Terrible.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:36

Another one of Mick's solo song ideas he "saved" for the Stones.

He's had better songs. He's had worse songs. Don't Stop is not like Start Me Up at all yet it was framed as being like Start Me Up. So, on that note:

For me, doing a solo album or a Stones album is all the same, with one proviso: that when I'm writing for the Rolling Stones I don't mind if the song sounds like the ones the Stones do, whereas if I'm writing, but not recording, with the Rolling Stones, I don't want the song to contain too many of the clichés that one associates with the Rolling Stones, so I try quite hard to avoid them. Before the release of Forty Licks, I wrote Don't Stop in the same period that I was writing the songs for my solo album, and I just put it to one side and said to myself, This sounds very much like the Rolling Stones to me. It might be very useful in the coming months, but I'll leave it for now and I won't record it because I think it's going to be better for the Stones.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

(It's) kind of a stock Mick riff. It's quite a simple song. Mick had the words and the phrasing, which was good, and Keith and I were kind of, All right, we'll give it a try. It ended up sounding like another Start Me Up, out of that stable.
- Ron Wood, October 2002

Woody said it.

Don't Stop is a classic Mick song. I could see that Mick had designed it to come across well in large venues, a Start Me Up-style crowd song, with a simple kind of message and a straightforward sructure. Because Mick is playing guitar, there isn't so much room for Keith, but he did manage to find a way of stabbing away at it, so that he was semi-happy with the result. I took on the stronger guitar part, because I was covering for Keith and also delivering what Mick was expecting from the way he had written the song: he wanted a trademark Woody guitar solo.
- Ron Wood, 2003

Mick played guitar on SOME GIRLS and they managed.

Don't Stop is the single-y one.
- Mick Jagger, 2002

What else can he say about it? He had to say something. And he says that about one of the 4 new songs, of which Stealing My Heart and Keys To Your Love, the blandest Stones music since DIRTY WORK, are absolute shit; that's awesome. Instead of, I dunno, writing and recording good songs.

Don't Stop is probably not as good a song as something like Satisfaction, but as long as it fits in the show it works. What is interesting is that unlike those songs from the 1960s, it will never, in our lifetime, get played as much and acquire the patina of age. But a lot of the songs that we play live were not important songs when they came out... (A) tune like Don't Stop might - or might not - one day acquire the same patina. What is certain is that if you don't play a song onstage, it will never have a chance to be anything.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

They've had the LICKS tours, the BANG tours and the 50 and whatever tours, yet it was only played on the LICKS tour. How is it to acquire the patina if it's not played? Does Mick even remember it? In Mick's words it has officially has not and will not ever "be anything". Doom And Gloom got the same treatment even though it was played in more years than Don't Stop - but a lot less shows.

I can probably live without Don't Stop, although I enjoyed playing it - it's a pretty little thing and you can sizzle it off, but there's not much substance to it.
- Keith Richards, 2003

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:29

GasLightStreet

Don't Stop is probably not as good a song as something like Satisfaction, but as long as it fits in the show it works. What is interesting is that unlike those songs from the 1960s, it will never, in our lifetime, get played as much and acquire the patina of age. But a lot of the songs that we play live were not important songs when they came out... (A) tune like Don't Stop might - or might not - one day acquire the same patina. What is certain is that if you don't play a song onstage, it will never have a chance to be anything.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

‘The patina of age?!?’

This song is as exciting as a glass of milk but like milk at least provides some sustenance. I am soothed by the old familiar voice and sounds and that’s all I’ve come to expect from modern-day Stones songs. I recently heard a snippet of it as background music on a Japanese variety show – fit perfectly with the vapidity of Japanese television which, like Don’t Stop, asks nothing of you. Music to clean your toilet to...I find it encouraging on those occasions when I discover patina around the bowl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-20 08:31 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:37

"Don't stop is probably not as good a song as satisfaction"

classic mick quote. Too funny.

Date: January 20, 2016 09:08

At a 'Quick-answer-test' saying: Satisfaction - Don't Stop my Quick answer would be Don't Stop! eye popping smiley

I have Heard Satisfaction at least a million times ...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 20, 2016 10:24

GasLightStreet

He's had better songs. He's had worse songs. Don't Stop is not like Start Me Up at all yet it was framed as being like Start Me Up. So, on that note:

For me, doing a solo album or a Stones album is all the same, with one proviso: that when I'm writing for the Rolling Stones I don't mind if the song sounds like the ones the Stones do, whereas if I'm writing, but not recording, with the Rolling Stones, I don't want the song to contain too many of the clichés that one associates with the Rolling Stones, so I try quite hard to avoid them. Before the release of Forty Licks, I wrote Don't Stop in the same period that I was writing the songs for my solo album, and I just put it to one side and said to myself, This sounds very much like the Rolling Stones to me. It might be very useful in the coming months, but I'll leave it for now and I won't record it because I think it's going to be better for the Stones.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

(It's) kind of a stock Mick riff. It's quite a simple song. Mick had the words and the phrasing, which was good, and Keith and I were kind of, All right, we'll give it a try. It ended up sounding like another Start Me Up, out of that stable.
- Ron Wood, October 2002

Woody said it.

Don't Stop is a classic Mick song. I could see that Mick had designed it to come across well in large venues, a Start Me Up-style crowd song, with a simple kind of message and a straightforward sructure. Because Mick is playing guitar, there isn't so much room for Keith, but he did manage to find a way of stabbing away at it, so that he was semi-happy with the result. I took on the stronger guitar part, because I was covering for Keith and also delivering what Mick was expecting from the way he had written the song: he wanted a trademark Woody guitar solo.
- Ron Wood, 2003

- Mick Jagger, 2002

What else can he say about it? He had to say something. And he says that about one of the 4 new songs, of which Stealing My Heart and Keys To Your Love, the blandest Stones music since DIRTY WORK, are absolute shit; that's awesome. Instead of, I dunno, writing and recording good songs.

- Mick Jagger, 2003

They've had the LICKS tours, the BANG tours and the 50 and whatever tours, yet it was only played on the LICKS tour. How is it to acquire the patina if it's not played? Does Mick even remember it? In Mick's words it has officially has not and will not ever "be anything". Doom And Gloom got the same treatment even though it was played in more years than Don't Stop - but a lot less shows.

I can probably live without Don't Stop, although I enjoyed playing it - it's a pretty little thing and you can sizzle it off, but there's not much substance to it.
- Keith Richards, 2003

There is a difference, as Mick was merely filling in on SG. On Don't Stop (and a bunch of other latter-day tunes) he is playing the main rhythm/riffing guitar. That's usually Keith's spot.

Even on the title track on SG, Mick is starting the tune, but quickly vanishes in the mix.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:35

Eh, well, there are other tunes he plays on just fine - Sway and Stop Breaking Down come to mind easily. Highwire. Doom And Gloom. Sad Sad Sad. Blah blah blah.

There needs to be a list of songs Mick plays guitar on:
without Keith
with Keith (and whoever)

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:42

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

- Mick Jagger, 2003

- Ron Wood, October 2002

Woody said it.

- Ron Wood, 2003

- Mick Jagger, 2002

- Mick Jagger, 2003

- Keith Richards, 2003

There is a difference, as Mick was merely filling in on SG. On Don't Stop (and a bunch of other latter-day tunes) he is playing the main rhythm/riffing guitar. That's usually Keith's spot.

Even on the title track on SG, Mick is starting the tune, but quickly vanishes in the mix.

Unless you're saying that the quality of latter-day Stones tunes declined because Mick increasingly usurped Keith's role I fail to understand your point. I really don't think Keith could've riffed much life into this song. GasLightStreet was merely lamenting the fact that they stopped producing quality tracks.

Date: January 20, 2016 10:55

GasLightStreet
Eh, well, there are other tunes he plays on just fine - Sway and Stop Breaking Down come to mind easily. Highwire. Doom And Gloom. Sad Sad Sad. Blah blah blah.

There needs to be a list of songs Mick plays guitar on:
without Keith
with Keith (and whoever)

Who, Mick? Woody's point was that it was harder for Keith to find a pocket to play in when Mick took on a more dominant role guitar-wise.

There are many songs that may have suffered from this. Gunface is a prime example. Not a good song, by any means, but Mick's guitar sound is ridiculous, so it doesn't matter what Keith and Ronnie play on it, imo. There are a few like that. I think Laugh, I Nearly Died could have been a classic with less Mick-guitar as well.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 20, 2016 11:34

I didn't know Laugh, I Nearly Died was mainly Mick on guitar. I agree it's a great song, but I don't know whether less Mick guitar would have improved it. In general, I think the song would have worked better when it would have been less polished, more roughish, also in the vocals. But it's a good song.

What about Heaven? I was very surprised when I read somewhere that that was Mick on guitar. I think the song and the guitars are perfect on that one.

Date: January 20, 2016 11:41

matxil
I didn't know Laugh, I Nearly Died was mainly Mick on guitar. I agree it's a great song, but I don't know whether less Mick guitar would have improved it. In general, I think the song would have worked better when it would have been less polished, more roughish, also in the vocals. But it's a good song.

What about Heaven? I was very surprised when I read somewhere that that was Mick on guitar. I think the song and the guitars are perfect on that one.

I think the guitar (Keith's, too, for that matter) is too rough for a finished album track.

Heaven is excellent. Mick on guitar (only one guitar).

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: January 20, 2016 14:37

classic track already.

mick's song yes, but since keith stopped giving a f**K since Bill left, whether he knows it or not, I'd say it's one of maybe 3 songs since 1990 that I would call classic stones

2 cents

Date: January 20, 2016 14:39

mudbone
classic track already.

mick's song yes, but since keith stopped giving a f**K since Bill left, whether he knows it or not, I'd say it's one of maybe 3 songs since 1990 that I would call classic stones

2 cents

What do you mean?

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: January 20, 2016 15:12

Well...he relied on Bill more then he knew.

Between them they created a truly exciting sound.

A sound that made Mick move his body naturally...instead of staged.

Keith is brilliant in the moment, when he gets inspired by what others are doing on stage. That's where he shines and plays things that are unbelievably organic and exciting. It's instict...

But he can't do that alone, few if any can.

That's what I mean.

I mean, kudo's for knocking out a classic opening riff at all after Bill left...YGMR is right up there I think.

It's no bashing...I think the world of him. But Keith likes/is!! rock 'n roll....you need something exciting/organic to work with while on stage..

Darryl is not that..he's the safe choice. RandR is about a lot of things..but never abour safety.

Hey, they got a bit lazy...the geezers. I don't blame them..at all.

They earned it. And they still rock the hardest of them all..but it could have been better. They know it, Keith knows it. Shame how they treated Bill like they did on his guest appearance. Just a big F**K you to him..and even that I get.

end rant

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: January 20, 2016 21:18

Turner68
...written by Mick to Keith, in a plea to get him to continue with the band.

to wit...

Clearly it worked, for Keith has indeed continued!

When was Richards considering not continuing?

Olly.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 20, 2016 22:19

Olly
Turner68
...written by Mick to Keith, in a plea to get him to continue with the band.

to wit...

Clearly it worked, for Keith has indeed continued!

When was Richards considering not continuing?

jeroen

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1149
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home