Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Don't Stop
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 30, 2009 17:53

one of the first indications that keith wasn't an active contributor to the writing process...there's scant indication of any of his signature here. pretty much a throwaway jagger tune with a decent little guitar figure courtesy of ron.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 30, 2009 17:55

love the song dont stop, and i like the video. this would have been great on abb with more songs like this .

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 30, 2009 18:21

...to my ears.....Don't Stop sounds a little more Mick Jagger/Dave Stewart than Jagger/Richards

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 30, 2009 19:44

Rip This
...to my ears.....Don't Stop sounds a little more Mick Jagger/Dave Stewart than Jagger/Richards

Actually it's a GITD outtake with pre-production by Matt Clifford.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 30, 2009 19:56

loog droog
Borr-ring!

Not a great song, or even a good song if you compare it to the overall level of quality set by the Stones.

In concert, it was just a big waste of time.... a better selection would have been either anything else in their catalog or perhaps even a cover of the 60's soul song, "Stop " by Howard Tate.

Because I just wanted them to stop when they plowed through "Don't Stop " at a show in Anaheim. First time I ever looked at my watch during a show.

Well you could say that it's boring, music/chord-structurewise - and lyricwise.... but to me it was kinda fresh breath of air - as it was a NEW song....the only new song that year

I always find it a lot less boring with new songs during the recent tours - then Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Sympathy etc etc; together from a couple of ABB songs; especially that awful ballad.....what was the name again... ; despite of them being "new"

....didn't get to see any club shows during the Licks tour though; only stadium and arena

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-30 20:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 30, 2009 20:10

with sssoul
the band seemed to have fun playing it in concert
Cheers S SsSoul....maybe cause it was their one and only new song that tour...But i see what your saying...for me i didnt liked the song at all...at the shows i liked it a little better...its not bad and its not magic...so what is it??!!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 30, 2009 20:30

it's just a song, rooster honey -
it's here
and then
it's gone

sort of like popcorn - have some :E

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 30, 2009 20:36

Your right!! S....and i like corn!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:17

This is one of my favourite of their songs from the current millenium. The lyrics are a bit clichéd, but it's a great song to dance to and it's got a beautiful melody. Ronnie's solo in the middle has been his best solo on Stones records in years.

Initially, I merely bought the CD single, because buying a 2CD set for 4 new songs seemed too much monkey business, but when I realized that the single version was an edit and that two of the other 3 new songs were also good ones, I looked for a cheap copy of "Forty Licks" - and at one point in January of 2005 I think it was, just before distribution of the album switched from Virgin to ABKCO, I did find one for $10 on amazon. That was a real bargain.

And yes, the full version is better than the single version.

This song is also very special for me for something to do with a dream that I might have mentioned before on this board, but which is a story that I don't want to tell again now.

I just wished that the Stones had recorded and released a full-length album of new songs in 2002 - not merely 4 songs, but at least 10 songs. It would not have hurt the sales of their "40 Licks" album anyway. Instead, that one was their first step of becoming a catalogue artist mainly.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:36

STOP!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:40

georgelicks
Rip This

Actually it's a GITD outtake with pre-production by Matt Clifford.

..well that explains that.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:45

Weak Stones song, I didn't dare to say to someone back then "HEY did you hear the new Stones record"

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 1, 2009 00:49

NICOS
Weak Stones song, I didn't dare to say to someone back then "HEY did you hear the new Stones record"

we were drivin to a gig with the band and on the radio they played "don't stop". i really hoped that we arrive before the radiospeaker could announce that it was a stones tune. unfortunately he did, and everybody had a laugh and they went on repeating the chorus followed by loud laughing...and i had to admit: they were right....;-)

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 1, 2009 05:02

For me, the only memorable thing about this song is the stage video from the small camera that was mounted at the head of Ronnie's guitar during the number...

Otherwise very formulaic Stones

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 1, 2009 05:32

"I can vividly see Mick... singin' his little heart out."

Too bad it's not believable.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 1, 2009 05:37

schillid
For me, the only memorable thing about this song is the stage video from the small camera that was mounted at the head of Ronnie's guitar during the number...

Otherwise very formulaic Stones

Exactly! But fomulaic towards their stuff they put the least effort into. Basically the "Stones" were Mick's back-up band on this one.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 1, 2009 05:55

Like the lyrics, but not the song.

Date: December 1, 2009 06:47

You mean a DSITD leftover.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: December 1, 2009 14:37

I don't mind it although the bridge is bad. Worked excellently live and had great crowd response at every Licks show I was at.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 1, 2009 15:35

Love this song! One of their latter day masterpieces!! Shoulda been a much bigger hit!!! If it was released in say 89 or 81, it woulda been a #1 smash!! This revived my faith in the band after Bridges, and the video is great with all the references to other songs in their cannon.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 1, 2009 21:23

I agree with VoodooLounge 13. My favorite song of theirs in the past 20 years.
I like Ronnie's solo, not complicated but a good solo to whistle along to. Kind of reminds me of his solo on Maggie May.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 1, 2009 21:30

skipstone

leftover dogshite can't be a good thing

Date: December 1, 2009 22:06

T&A
skipstone

leftover dogshite can't be a good thing

Ha ha. Keith as much said so without saying it like that heh heh.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: December 1, 2009 22:11

worked well live! Not a great song, but same league as ygmr, not their best, but works live

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: December 1, 2009 22:41

Better than YGMR both live and on record.

But not really n a work of merit.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: December 2, 2009 17:32

for me ygmr is much better! i do actually like this song a lot!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 2, 2009 18:06

billwebster
This is one of my favourite of their songs from the current millenium.

that makes it sound like the stones are REALLY old.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: December 2, 2009 18:31

one of their best songs since tattoo you. there are a lot of worse songs on abb.

Date: December 2, 2009 19:26

The Stones ARE really old. They're almost as old as rock'n'roll is. They just are. But there are better and worse songs on ABB. As well as their entire catalogue.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 3, 2009 00:46

Great song! Great Keith tone. Better than any of that crap they put out in the 80's.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2186
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home