Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Don't Stop
Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 3, 2009 02:51

More Hot Rocks
Great song! Great Keith tone. Better than any of that crap they put out in the 80's.

don't you mean "Mick tone"? It's him playing the main part.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 3, 2009 03:19

Wow Don't Stop better than anything they did in the 80's? Tattoo You's new numbers were cool. Undercover is great and blows away Don't Stop, even some of the stuff on Dirty Work is better than Don't Stop, Had it With You, Dirty Work, One Hit to the Body, Harlem Shuffle. Don't Stop is Mick writing pop rock which is fun, but it gets frustrating when you are hoping for some great classic stones raunch and roll. Rough Justice is far superior, more of an edge and dirty.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: December 3, 2009 23:03

Sorry guys:

this is one of the most unimaginative, lifeless, generic, plainly embarrassing pieces of crap they have ever dared to release and the definitive evidence that quality control is out of order these days. I agree that it makes a pedestrian number like "Rough Justice" look masterful.

One thing I have to concede: never before there was so much truth to Keith's quote that a song was "tailored to be played live". It is indeed: deliberately tailored to lick the arses of stadium tourists who mistake the most annoying musical cliché patterns one can think of for "classic" Rolling Stones stuff.

I can see Jimmy Miller turning in his grave; can anyone imagine what he would have said to this? (it was reported that on one occasion he claimed in despair: "You are starting to sound like the goddamned Status Quo!", and that was back in the seventies..)

Posted by: Italystonesfan ()
Date: December 3, 2009 23:24

Love it . not a masterpiece but a good song . It also works well live IMO .

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 4, 2009 01:36

I love this song - One of my favorite post 83 Stones songs

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 4, 2009 05:27

Tantekäthe

I can see Jimmy Miller turning in his grave; can anyone imagine what he would have said to this? (it was reported that on one occasion he claimed in despair: "You are starting to sound like the goddamned Status Quo!", and that was back in the seventies..)

I thought it was Stu who said that during the Some Girls sessions.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 4, 2009 15:36

ablett
Sounds like it was knocked out in ten minutes. Lyrics are also terrible.

Stones by numbers, purely a filler

yes...it's now just a job and no longer an expressive art-form for M&K.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 22, 2009 08:37

sorry for bumping this back up, but it's been bugging me:
i don't hear any "beg ya don't stop". i hear "baby don't stop"

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: February 13, 2010 23:16

I really, really like this song, especially the live version of it

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 13, 2010 23:27

Yep, the Friday night performance outshun the following night's HBO telecast.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 14, 2010 00:56

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 14, 2010 02:02

You know it's really really bad if Don't Stop pops up again.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 14, 2010 02:45

Greg
A special mention should go to the mickisch bridge one can feel coming almost from the first chord.

The songs biggest merit is that they seemed to have a great time playing it live. Especially Ronnie got a big kick out of it.

Agree 100%

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 14, 2010 07:18

I like the song! The video is pretty bad though

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 14, 2010 08:43

Mediocre, by-the-numbers pop rock that's best left in a cupboard permanently, next to Memory Motel, Fool to Cry, Heartbreaker, Rock and a Hard Place, and You Got Me Rocking.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: February 14, 2010 08:52

aH YES, the video with the song titles and "clues" to other's zzzzzzzz

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 14, 2010 11:19

Thi song is nice and funny - as she's so cold. I know that it's not midnight rambler or gimme shelter, but has melody and simple but efefctive guitar riffing. RW's arrangment is nice too

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 14, 2010 12:58

behroez
I really, really like this song, especially the live version of it

This video is depressing for several reasons. First, the song itself is the generic, tired, boring Jagger-Stewart pop-rock crap that Jagger churns out mechanically when Keith is out of the picture. Second, Jagger is playing guitar, symbolizing the control that he now has in the band and thus Keith's diminished role. Third, because it is part of a concert where there are incandescent renditions of some of the greatest songs ever written, it reminds you of how untouchable the Stones are at their peak, and how far this falls short.

Just my two cents.
Drew

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 14, 2010 13:01

Tantekäthe
Sorry guys:

this is one of the most unimaginative, lifeless, generic, plainly embarrassing pieces of crap they have ever dared to release and the definitive evidence that quality control is out of order these days. I agree that it makes a pedestrian number like "Rough Justice" look masterful.

One thing I have to concede: never before there was so much truth to Keith's quote that a song was "tailored to be played live". It is indeed: deliberately tailored to lick the arses of stadium tourists who mistake the most annoying musical cliché patterns one can think of for "classic" Rolling Stones stuff.

I'd say you're dead right, Tantekäthe. Don't Stop isn't up to the quality of much of the Stones 80s output,never mind their sixties and seventies work.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 14, 2010 14:30

great great song. i agree the bridge is not the best, but i often dislike bridges in sonsg.

Date: February 15, 2010 20:10

The intro is probably the only good thing about the song. When the lyrics come in, it hasn't really done anything and just sort of sits there. The rock mix or whatever it's called - nothing can help it really. The problem is it's probably the best of the 4 new songs on Licks even though I like Keith's tune the most.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: February 17, 2010 00:56

Silver Dagger
Worst Stones song since 86. Boring, plodding four to the floor stadium beat and written in desperate hope of copying the success of their last major hit Start Me Up. They just sound so tired, like they're going through the motions.
And that insidious beat is constant all the way through, there's no sense of musical drama like the attacking guitars coming at you in Undercover or One Hit.
Lyrically it's Jagger on autopilot, probably knocked off in a few minutes in the studio. Be happy not to hear this one in concert ever again.

You hit the nail on the head Silver Dagger. First time I heard this, I thought they were just trying to rehash Start Me Up.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: February 17, 2010 10:23

It's only Rock'n' Roll but I like it !! Great show number, loved it in Bergen 2006, missed it in Oslo 2007.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: February 17, 2010 12:28

Yeah, don't stop is really an amazing song! Its a same they didnt play it on ABB.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: February 17, 2010 12:32

oh sorry, just noticed they did on the post above me.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: February 17, 2010 14:32

It´s just one of my favorites Stones songs. I think excellent.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 17, 2010 21:15

It's ok. Nothing more nothing less.

I think that "Stealing My Heart" from 40 licks is better despite some mediocre lyrics.

Date: February 17, 2010 21:48

KeithNacho
Thi song is nice and funny - as she's so cold. I know that it's not midnight rambler or gimme shelter, but has melody and simple but efefctive guitar riffing. RW's arrangment is nice too

Do you ever make sense? It seems not. "Thi song is nice and funny - as she's so cold." That makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 18, 2010 01:07

Tantekäthe
Sorry guys:

Indeed. Well said, sir. The video does clearly support several facts pertaining the latter-day Stones:

1.Jagger has been using left-overs from his solo efforts as Stones singles for the last decade (Don't Stop from Goddess In The Doorway, Streets of Love from Alfie)...in effect the scraps...thanks, Mick...please stop...

2.Even their most formulaic, by-the-number, re-hashed drivel (like Don't Stop and Streets of Love) sounds much better in concert...Streets of Love was actually a highlight of the ABB shows I attended...they could probably make Happy Birthday To You sound like good rock and roll...which begs the question of what they could do with actually good material...can you imagine how great Dangerous Beauty or Laugh, I Nearly Died, or Under The Radar would sound if they cared to bother...?

3. Woody is actually quite good when sober...

4. The Stones are far too often functioning as Jagger's back-up band...that's like driving a 1969 Shelby Mustang GT500 to the supermarket...that baby belongs on the track or full-throttle on the open highway with a fast woman by your side...not in a traffic jam transporting your paper shopping bags filled with toilet paper, diet soda and freaking nachos...wake the hell up...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 18, 2010 01:21

I always liked this song. Not bad. Catchy little number. I remember when the NBA used it on their promos.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home