Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Faces will tour without Rod Stewart in 2010
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 6, 2010 01:38

pmk251
I am recently turned on to a Texas singer/guitarist, James McMurtry, son of the writer Larry. We heard Choctaw Bingo while driving down the road and the music and lyrics grabbed me. So, I've been checking the guy out. He has a CD Live In Europe. Not sure when it was recorded, but the CD was released last year. Included is a 6 song DVD and Lo and Behold on keyboards is Ian McLagan! This is serious, gritty music with serious, gritty lyrics and everyone in this band was serious and focussed. I love Mac's piano playing and thought the slapdash days of Faces are long behind him. It's been a long road and he's seen some tragedies in his life. I think trying to recreate what Faces was is a mistake. Especially without Lane and the frontman. And an inebriated guitar player is no longer fun or funny.

Yeah I hear it's hard to get MacLagan out of Austin thesedays. I guess my point here is that it's not gonna be the Faces anyway, so why not make it as good as you can? I mean, Ian said himself he's gettin old and he wants to tour. Sounds like he's had some time since his wife died, and he wants to get on the road while he still can. It beats sitting around and thinking about it, and after a few years it's no sin to play with some old friends. I'm thinking Jeff Beck is bugging people to tour, that's what it sounds like to me, like he's hanging around waiting for an opportunity or something. I should start a thread on all the combinations that involve Ronnie that could go on the road this year since the Stones don't want to do it. Inebriated? There's only one way to find out>

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 6, 2010 02:08

Would not really be the Faces without Rod would it?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2010 02:12

Brue
pmk251
I am recently turned on to a Texas singer/guitarist, James McMurtry, son of the writer Larry. We heard Choctaw Bingo while driving down the road and the music and lyrics grabbed me. So, I've been checking the guy out. He has a CD Live In Europe. Not sure when it was recorded, but the CD was released last year. Included is a 6 song DVD and Lo and Behold on keyboards is Ian McLagan! This is serious, gritty music with serious, gritty lyrics and everyone in this band was serious and focussed. I love Mac's piano playing and thought the slapdash days of Faces are long behind him. It's been a long road and he's seen some tragedies in his life. I think trying to recreate what Faces was is a mistake. Especially without Lane and the frontman. And an inebriated guitar player is no longer fun or funny.

Yeah I hear it's hard to get MacLagan out of Austin thesedays. I guess my point here is that it's not gonna be the Faces anyway, so why not make it as good as you can? I mean, Ian said himself he's gettin old and he wants to tour. Sounds like he's had some time since his wife died, and he wants to get on the road while he still can. It beats sitting around and thinking about it, and after a few years it's no sin to play with some old friends. I'm thinking Jeff Beck is bugging people to tour, that's what it sounds like to me, like he's hanging around waiting for an opportunity or something. I should start a thread on all the combinations that involve Ronnie that could go on the road this year since the Stones don't want to do it. Inebriated? There's only one way to find out>

Toured Europe less than a year ago as part of James McMurtry's band. That would be the tour where the cd/dvd was recorded (the DVD is from amsterdam). Saw him in a place that was basically a bar. I think where there's a gig, Mac generally seems pretty willing to play.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 6, 2010 02:14

Gazza
Brue
pmk251

Toured Europe less than a year ago as part of James McMurtry's band. That would be the tour where the cd/dvd was recorded (the DVD is from amsterdam). Saw him in a place that was basically a bar. I think where there's a gig, Mac generally seems pretty willing to play.
Ah I stand corrected. ANd how were they?

Date: January 6, 2010 02:47

Mac has played DC area twice in 10 months at a small place with capacity of about 120..

Clearly he wants to tour cause he's been doing it

I would go see Ronnie, Mac, Kenny Jones any day of the week. Hope it happens but I have to say I can't see much demand in the States without Rod...and even with Rod I'm not sure (last time Rod played the area in 2008 promoter took a bath... he's toured quite a bit and he's lost a lot of people over the years)

I have to add: shame on Rod.. he could do one measly 20 date tour with Faces... i mean what happened to all the stuff about them being pals and all that? seems to be rod just does not care at all other than when he needs Ron Wood (ie., MTV unplugged)....wouldn't kill him.. god knows the Faces were instrumental when he was a nobody in making him a somebody.. Ronnie is all over the early albums...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2010 03:37

Brue
Gazza
Brue
pmk251

Ah I stand corrected. ANd how were they?

Very very good. It was McMurtry's first visit to Europe, so I guess Mac wanted to give him a helping hand (McMurtry was back again 3 months ago and I saw him again in the same venue, but Mac wasnt in the band this time).

James is a bit of a shy man to chat to and comes across a bit surly at times, but Mac was incredibly easy going and very open to chat about anything. Even down to describing what an arse Rod by mucking the rest of them about over a Faces reunion, assessing how he thought Ronnie was doing with his drinking - and it was Mac who mentioned to me about Flea never being seriously considered for the bassist role that we were discussing in another thread.

It speaks volumes for him that a man of his standing in the music business would come all that way to do a European tour to help promote a friend considering they were playing such tiny places. There really cant have been any money in it. Like the previous post, there couldnt have been much more than 100 people there.

The Stones would have a shitfit though if Ronnie toured with Mac, I think. Too easy for Ronnie to fall back off any wagon he may have got on by then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-06 03:38 by Gazza.

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: January 6, 2010 06:21

I saw Ian and his band in Austin a few weeks ago in Austin. Spoke to him before the show.It was a noon show. we were both getting coffee. He told me the faces tour was going to happen and they wer going to have different people join them in different cities. Rod is definitely not involved. he seemed very upbeat about the whole thing. The show that day was very good.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 6, 2010 06:43

I keep thinking this thread says Faces Will Tour Without Ronnie Wood...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 7, 2010 01:23

rod who?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home