Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Mick Jagger at Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary show
Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: November 1, 2009 21:01

Patti Smith certainly didn't pass the audition. Is she deaf now or what?confused smiley

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 1, 2009 21:09

Mick Jagger was great in Gimme Shelter and Stuck in a Moment as well. It was a strange experience though hearing Gimme Shelter without the usual bum notes.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 1, 2009 21:17

or the right notes

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: November 1, 2009 21:57

One of the last sentences Lester Bangs published in April of 1982 was, "In the future, rock stars will run in packs." At the time I couldn't make any sense of it. Now, it seems like a very accurate prophesy.
On another note, I can't tell you how happy that video of Jagger made me. It's hard to believe he (they) still have such a hold on me.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:33

VERY INTERESTING QUOTE from Lester Bangs, whom I used to know. A sharp guy and that is a brilliant prophecy.

Don't confuse the real Lester with the Cameron Crowe version in "Almost Famous."
One of the rare photos I cherish shows Lester out on the dance floor at the original Lynyrd Skynyrd debut party. He was a happy guy that night. Miss him.

One of these days I must remember to send that photo to Rockman, surely a kindred spirit of Lester B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-02 01:24 by stonesrule.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:37

shortfatfanny
...and more from The Boss...

without a doubt the most powerful live act in rock!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:47

birdie
shortfatfanny

You're totally right I must admit.
"a head-on collision smashin' in my guts"

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:59

SwayStones
birdie
shortfatfanny

You're totally right I must admit.
"a head-on collision smashin' in my guts"

You'll get no argument from mecool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 1, 2009 23:05

frankotero
I will say again (prematurely) The Stones will roll !!!!! Don't kid yourself the condition of Keef, he is an animal. If we don't know it by now we never will !!! Sure I think something was wrong in the EUR07 tour but whatever it was he's beat it. There's too much coincedence all these sightings happening recently. It's a plan, don't doubt it. One that I like !!!

So, which one is Jesus? Mick or Keith.... come on Frank - what sightings?? Keith had BRAIN SURGERY, capice? Do you know what that means? Sure his playing has gone down hill, lucky he's not in a wheel chair half paralyzed or something....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 1, 2009 23:29

Helter, are you out to get me again? I remember the time you accused me of not knowing European geography, actually you called me something offensive if I recall. In the end you were wrong, that interviewer was Dutch and not from another country as you claimed. Maybe you could think about what you say before you write it. And another thing, I'm thinking positive about The Stones future. After all Charlie said there will be another Stones album. I believe there would be some touring behind that. In my book that's quite reasonable. Have a nice day.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 1, 2009 23:39

Don't have a clue about that past thing Frank but my sincere apology if it was at all rude - seriously. Now all I'm saying is Brain Surgery is ALWAYS serious cause little minor things can change from just a simple procedure (which is what we were told Keith had). I always felt his poorer playing on and off in Europe was because of the accident. Obviously Mick is ready, I guess Ronnie is but only the few insiders and the band know EXACTLY the condition of Keith's health and his ability to play at the level he needs to play on stage show after show. All I know is the solo in SFTD in Shine A Light is not too hot (to be nice about it)... we'll see.....

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 1, 2009 23:42

This is another reason to like Bill Wyman, if what I read is true, which is he later on did not like awards, thought it was a bunch of bs, maybe someone knows more about this, but I remember reading he thought the Stones were not properly recognized and it was too late when the Stones got the calls.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 1, 2009 23:59

OK Helter we're cool. On the subject of Keefs health I have to say that recent video (posted here on iorr) of him and Patti walking through the crowd looked fantastic. To me he seemed to be in great form. Of course this means nothing of his ability to play guitar but I feel or hope that he's good for this as well. Thinking of those knots on his fingers I've recently noticed them on a photo from the sixties. What does this mean? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing he's lived with it for a long time, and just maybe it's not a problem as we (fans) think. Just my opinion. Still hoping for more Rock N' Roll !!!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 2, 2009 00:12

I was at both nights. Mick and Fergie did GS proud, at least in person. It was one of the best versions I've seen in years. I think the opening guitar, by the way, was played by Bono, with Edge adding accents.

I was walking out of Penn Station, past the north end of the Garden, about 3:30 on Friday when I saw a bunch of people gathered by a driveway. I looked to my right, and saw Mick, about 15 feet away, walking out of a trailer and into a limo. He looked fantastic.

U2 had flown in from their tour to play the concert, and their energy level seemed down. Bono's voice was kind of ragged -- not up to his usual standard.

Mick was one of the high points, but there were a few others. Sam and Bruce were great, People Get Ready was great, and Raitt, Crosby, and Nash doing Love Has No Pride on Thursday was spectacular.

I hadn't seen Metallica before. Don't need to see them again, either. Really loud, and they play fast and, at times, in unison well. The guitar solos weren't very inventive. James Hetfield is a dramatic frontman, but didn't come across as terribly bright or interesting.

My own personal pet peeve of the 2d night -- Hetfield gave props to Ray Davies for inventing riff rock, and Ray soaked it in, without mentioning that it was his brother Dave who was the first heavy metal sounding guitarist.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 2, 2009 01:29

Wham BAM thank you Man for the review

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 2, 2009 03:25

Some freeze frames from the news...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 2, 2009 04:45

YEAH!

Date: November 2, 2009 05:54

Wow, Mick is looking really good - look at his hair evensmiling smiley He seems ready to keep rolling for many years to come. Move over Jack LaLanne.
You lucky folks able to attend in-person won't soon be forgetting this!
I am not wild about that version of Shelter, but as the show is to air near the 40yr anniv of Altamont... guess that's why they chose it.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 2, 2009 11:19

Wanton Witch of the Côte
Wow, Mick is looking really good - look at his hair evensmiling smiley He seems ready to keep rolling for many years to come.

When his hair gets longer ,he is ready for a new tour ,isn't he ?

Thanks to all for the photos and reviews.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 2, 2009 11:35

Will there be any Pro-Shot filming of this event?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 2, 2009 12:38

marquess
Will there be any Pro-Shot filming of this event?

Gazza mentioned earlier this one :

...HBO commercial

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 2, 2009 13:11

Thanks!

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 2, 2009 13:12

I agree totally.
Seeing Jagger moving like a cat walking like he never stopped, Ronnie playing here and ther, Keith attendance at the Sream and Charlie Watts again playing what he knows best it is obvious that something is going on.
It might take still some months but it's kicking, rolling and alive.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 2, 2009 13:16

The more I listen to Mick singing Stuck in a moment the more it feels like it's a Stones song.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 2, 2009 16:19

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
melillo
no its not, thats just the greatness of mick jagger right there, thats still no excuse for the stones not to be there

It's because of their greatness that they don't HAVE to show up everytime some corporate big wig throws a party. They can afford to be conspicuously absent. That's one of the perks that come with being great.
Or just lazy.

So why didn't Neil show up? Why when he received his invitation did he not say "Oh, golly, Jann the Mann is throwing an anniversary party for that stupid little museum of his. I guess I better get all spruced up and go kiss some major ass"? Why did he take one look at the invitation, crumple it up and toss it in the trash? Is he lazy? Or does he simply not stand to gain anything he doesn't already have by sucking up to this particular brand of bull shit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-02 16:26 by tatters.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: November 2, 2009 17:14

Sting & Jeff Beck @ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Madison Square Garden Oct 30, 2009

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 17:29

"The way they've played isn't 'awfull'. I would say 'messy'."

I know we're already past the comments on (this rendition of) "Gimmie Shelter"; but I just read a comment about this clip on the internet-
"...sounds like two radios on at the same time, on two different stations (to me)."
- funny, and rather true... so wanted to share this.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 2, 2009 19:01

tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
melillo
no its not, thats just the greatness of mick jagger right there, thats still no excuse for the stones not to be there

It's because of their greatness that they don't HAVE to show up everytime some corporate big wig throws a party. They can afford to be conspicuously absent. That's one of the perks that come with being great.
Or just lazy.

So why didn't Neil show up? Why when he received his invitation did he not say "Oh, golly, Jann the Mann is throwing an anniversary party for that stupid little museum of his. I guess I better get all spruced up and go kiss some major ass"? Why did he take one look at the invitation, crumple it up and toss it in the trash? Is he lazy? Or does he simply not stand to gain anything he doesn't already have by sucking up to this particular brand of bull shit?

Because Neil is one of the most notoriously cranky old farts out there. But virtually every big name in the music business was there. Does that mean that Springsteen,Metallica,CSN,Ozzy,Ray Davies,Jeff Beck, U2 et all are not great because they showed up?

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 19:04

Thank God for Mick Jagger....so happy and speechless that he is singing and dancing. Life is good again. Less worries.

Posted by: martin1978 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 20:41

HBO will air a four-hour special of highlights at 8 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 29.
A DVD Set also is in the works, for release early next year 2010!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1617
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home