Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 17
UK gigs
Posted by: The Maverick ()
Date: May 11, 2005 17:05

I wonder what will be the full range of UK gigs next year we already known they will almost certainly be the first band to play the new Wembely Stadium, together with the Shepards Bush gig, Maine Road, Manchester Apollo and Hampden Park concerts that we know about, I wonder if they will be playing any UK arena's this tour or will it just be stadiums with the occasional club gig?

Re: UK gigs
Posted by: DD ()
Date: May 11, 2005 18:05

Maverick,

Even though I live in London, and so will always get to see them when they come back to England, I'm always disappointed with the number of shows that they play here. The amount of concerts they put on in Britain has been decreasing tour by tour, and although I think this has something to do with decreasing demand from a cynical public, I think that there is still enough demand to play more shows than they do, particularly in arenas.

If you take the last tour as an example, Manchester and Glasgow were the only places outside of London to get any shows, which is ludicrous. I know that Britain is geographically small, and for it's size gets more shows than some other countries, but there are nearly 60 million people here, and I'm quite sure that The Stones could sell out arenas in the midlands, Liverpool, Newcastle, Cardiff - places that they always used to play. It may just be the case that they don't want to be reduced to playing only arenas in their own country. (As for Maine Road - remember that it's been replaced with the City of Manchester stadium. In any case, even though U2 and Oasis have sold it out easily, something tells me that The Stones might not sell quite as well up there, however many tickets they sell in London.)

Declan

Posted by: BillyBoll ()
Date: May 11, 2005 19:03

When/how was the possible Manchester Apollo information posted.

That'd be a goodie!

Posted by: Rich ()
Date: May 11, 2005 19:48

Personally, I'd love to see them come to the Millennium Stadium. As much as I enjoy travelling the world to see them, it would be nice to take a 20 minute train journey to a gig. They haven't played in Wales since 1990, and before that it was 1965, so I think we're more than due a visit!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 11, 2005 19:50

The Maverick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder what will be the full range of UK gigs
> next year we already known they will almost
> certainly be the first band to play the new
> Wembely Stadium, together with the Shepards Bush
> gig, Maine Road, Manchester Apollo and Hampden
> Park concerts that we know about

we know about Manchester Apollo, Shepherds Bush and Maine Road???

News to me. Where did this come from?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 11, 2005 20:59

I was equally surprised, Gazza.

Posted by: Ernest Craven ()
Date: May 11, 2005 23:42

Maine Road is there anymore...

Posted by: Ernest Craven ()
Date: May 11, 2005 23:43

Maine Road isn't there anymore i meant :-)

Date: May 12, 2005 13:20

Sorry, I did mean city of Manchester stadium, I keep associating it with Manchester city FC, hence the Maine Road reference, my mistake.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 12, 2005 13:36

I wish they would spread it around as for the midlands it was the birmingham odeon in 73 and i think the next tour was at stafford.

I dont mind traveling as you get the chance to stop at a hotel but it turns out to be a expensive time espiecally in london where the cocktails work out a t £6 a time thou it was the hilton heathrow the plus side is the bar guy forgot to put them on my room tab.

I wouldent mind the millenium stadium as its a good place to go.
the list of venue's are

birminghan odean

stafford

leeds roundhay park

bristol <football ground>

knebworth

earls court

wembley

sheffield don valley

manchester maine road <twice>

manchester news arena

i think thats it

Date: May 12, 2005 15:00

since the last real "UK tour" (1971) theyve played

1973 - Wembley Arena (x4), Bellvue Manchester (x2), Birmingham Odeon (x2), newcastle City Hall (x2), Glasgow Apollo (x2)

1976 - Earls Court (x6), Leicester Granby Hall (x2), Stafford Bingley hall (x2), Glasgow Apollo (x3) plus of course Knebworth 3 months later

1982 - Wembley Stadium (x2), Ashton gate in Bristol, St James Pk Newcastle, Roundhay Park Leeds plus theatre shows in Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh as well as the warm up private gig at the 100 Club. They also played Slane castle near Dublin.

1990 - Wembley (x5), Maine Road Manchester (x2), Newcastle, Cardiff Arms Park, Glasgow hampden Park - all stadiums

1995 - Wembley (x3), Sheffield Don Valley Stadium and Brixton Academy

1999 - Wembley (x2), Murrayfield Edinburgh, Sheffield plus Shepherds Bush Empire. A promised "10-12" date of smaller shows in UK cities as a compensation for the postponed 98 tour wasnt kept

2003 - twickenham (x2), Wembley Arena (x3), MEN Arena Manchester, SECC Glasgow (x2) as well as two shows at the Point in Dublin

Major UK cities not played by the Stones in a LONG time :

Hull - 1964
Belfast - 1965
Liverpool - 1971
Leeds - 1971

Belfast and Hull now both have large enough arenas to stage a major show like the Stones.

Date: May 12, 2005 15:09

Thanks for the info gazza, i wish they would put more shows on in the uk, just wondering if its down to demand at the end of the day.

Date: May 12, 2005 15:11

I think we did surprisingly well last tour, especially with the amount of arena shows!! And the tickets sold very well too considering it was by FAR the most expensive tickets anyone had ever charged for a rock show here.

More shows in the 'provinces' would be more welcome though. The Cockneys get too many of them!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:40

Gazza Wrote:
> Major UK cities not played by the Stones in a LONG time :
> Leeds - 1971

1982, Gazza! You even mentioned it in your first post smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2005 17:18

So looks like London, Manchester and Glasgow again. No doubt the Shepards Bush and Manchester Apollo tickets will be nigh on impossible to get, with sky high prices on EBay.

Although these show's are planned for August there is talk that they will open Wembley in June, wonder if there will be two mini UK tours at the beginning and end of the European tour. Maybe we will get some additional gigs at the start of the tour, be good to have a few club show's that Joe Public can get into.

Date: May 12, 2005 17:39

erikjjf Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Major UK cities not played by the Stones in a
> LONG time :
> > Leeds - 1971
>
> 1982, Gazza! You even mentioned it in your first
> post

oops. Was just checking you were all paying attention.

Another one off the list then - if it means more chances of a Belfast gig I'm happy enough!

Date: May 12, 2005 17:41

The Maverick Wrote:
>
> Although these show's are planned for August there
> is talk that they will open Wembley in June,

where are you getting this info from about these small shows at specific venues?

two mini tours would make sense. They'd want to be the first band to play at Wembley AND it would be nice to end the tour in the UK

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: May 12, 2005 17:51

Hull KC Stadium please then i can stay with my mum and dad and save some cash.

Andy

Date: May 12, 2005 17:57

"No doubt the Shepards Bush and Manchester Apollo tickets will be nigh on impossible to get, with sky high prices on EBay. "

Where is this info coming from? You keep saying it and getting me all excited but I have seen no mention of it anywhere else!

Date: May 12, 2005 18:04

Is is no "official" mention of any European tour gigs as yet, obviously there will be a provisional tour schedule planned at this stage and deposits etc paid. I wouldn't expect any offical announcement of European gigs until nearer Christmas.

As for how I know about the UK gigs, I work in the booking industry, can't say to much more than that.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 12, 2005 18:05

Well I'd like to see 'em in Hull - city hall? Nah! - the Springhead pub where we play - there's loads of Stones fans 'up north'.

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: May 12, 2005 18:24

The Maverick Wrote:
> Is is no "official" mention of any European tour
> gigs as yet, obviously there will be a provisional
> tour schedule planned at this stage and deposits
> etc paid. I wouldn't expect any offical
> announcement of European gigs until nearer
> Christmas.
>
> As for how I know about the UK gigs, I work in the
> booking industry, can't say to much more than
> that.

Ok, Mr Maverick, I didnt mean to question your sources but thanks for that.

Hopeful!

Date: May 12, 2005 18:25

Stikkyfinger Wrote:
> Well I'd like to see 'em in Hull - city hall? Nah!
> - the Springhead pub where we play - there's loads
> of Stones fans 'up north'.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian.
>
>
> We don't LOOK like the Rolling Stones - we just
> SOUND like them!
>

doesnt Hull have a big arena now?

Date: May 12, 2005 18:25

The Maverick Wrote:
>
> As for how I know about the UK gigs, I work in the
> booking industry, can't say to much more than
> that.

fair enough. Thanks for clarifying

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: May 12, 2005 18:58

Stikkyfingers - hey I will try to get to see you lot play next time I am up in Hull - possibly The Railway in Cott.

Andy

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 12, 2005 21:10

nashville Wrote:
> Stikkyfingers - hey I will try to get to see you
> lot play next time I am up in Hull - possibly The
> Railway in Cott.
>
> Andy

Please come along - you won't be dissappointed!

I think the Railway will be stopping bands very soon as they're making money from private parties instead!

Check our website for the nearest gig, and to download Angie and Little Queenie for free.

Introduce yourself at the gig and I'll let you have a CD for free!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 12, 2005 21:55

it's about bloody time they came back to the second city

BIRMINGHAM !

they keep playing lesser towns like Manchester & Sheffield and miss out the centre of the country

SORT IT OUT !

Date: May 13, 2005 10:09

Too bloody right andy at least some part of the west midlands espiecally st andrews now that would be heaven!!!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 13, 2005 11:29

@#$%& sty andrews!

this is the Stones not Duran Duran

the Stones need class, so Villa Park it is

Date: May 13, 2005 11:34

Andy iv seen the class down vile park only slightly better than us at the moment, i would have to have a rain check if it was ever to be put on there.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home