Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Got live if you DON'T want it--what song doesn't work well for you live?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:44

A song that has never really worked live fore you...

My vote goes to It's Only Rock and Roll - I love the basement/fuzztone intimacy of the studio. On stage, with that weird little "Star Star-esque" opening and overall pacing of it, I've never been crazy about it. Maybe I liked the bubble video too much.

What song would you pick?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 06:39 by hbwriter.

Re: Got live if you DON'T want it
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:50

Kind of agree.

The studio version is great. They just can't seem to capture that live. The live tempo is faster paced with that 'star-star' Chuck Berry like riff intro.

I like the way the studio version slowly evolves into that ass-kicking guitar solo. Maybe it just can't be done quite right live.

I wonder if any Stones cover bands have been able to capture that magic?

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:54

I would agree that it has always been one of the weaker warhorses, although in the pre-coconut tree 2006 phase of ABB, it was pretty damn rockin'... Kind of feel like they found a way to make it work for just a little stretch.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:57

I'm just the opposite myself. Always thought the studio version dragged and was WAY too long for a single. But I didnt think they really nailed it live until "Babylon" tour. The sb version from Paris 98 rocks like I think it was meant to! But thats just my opinion (which dont count for much LOL)

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:57

I love the Love You Live version. For me, that's where it finally got it's edge that the studio master always lacked. Yes the live version like everything else is a little ragged, but the guitar is just perfect.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 26, 2009 06:03

The "Chuck Berry"-ish live version of IORR is fantastic. The studio version sucks. I mean that. Without Charlie behind the kit, I have a hard time getting behind the song.

IORR - Nashville 2002, best version I've ever heard.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 26, 2009 06:11

hbwriter
A song that has never really worked live fore you...

My vote goes to It's Only Rock and Roll - I love the basement/fuzztone intimacy of the studio. On stage, with that weird little "Star Star-esque" opening and overall pacing of it, I've never been crazy it. Maybe I liked the bubble video too much.

Yours?

on that hbo msg 1/18/03 thing they did a playful but ferocious version on the B stage...stripped down sounding and ultra hot imo. it's the opening number of their B Stage set...mick is makin' a bad joke of some sort...keith crashes intoa sinewy powerful opening licks...totally ready hot and INTO it, cuttin' jags off (on the Live VCR i recorded that nite)...haww. classic...the band was immense all that night...just so powerful...opener sfm on main stage blows yer head off...you wish it would go on forever they are SO in the groove...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 26, 2009 06:18

All - great, interesting takes on IORR. But I should have been more clear - what song is it for YOU that doesn't work well live?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 07:08 by hbwriter.

Re: Got live if you DON'T want it--what song doesn't work well for you live?
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 26, 2009 07:00

Start Me Up

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 26, 2009 07:27

Every version I heard or saw of Anybody Seen My Baby were just painful. I don't love the studio version, but live euh!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 07:35

you can't always get what you want . the live versions seem to drag on forever i do love the rock and roll circus version though

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 26, 2009 07:40

Shattered.

Date: September 26, 2009 14:17

Rocks off!
I mean there are many others but from Day 1 this one sounds terrible. IMo this is one of their very best tracks: a strong melody, superb lyrics, that bridge, those horns, Nicky,the intro riff, the chorus with the two strong vocal parts counterin each other. All that is lost in the live version.
I think the song would be salvageable, if only they'd chnage the key. In studio version Mick sings it very low, and then just doubles it with a higher part; they punch it up in the Mix and it comes out wonderful. But live it doesn't work. Fr\\Jagger always has sounded like he is searching for a comfortable place to land in this song. The bridge is just a mess.
I guess the Voodoo tour version was the best.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 26, 2009 14:26

Anybody Seen... & Shattered have never really come close the studio version.

But...MIXED EMOTIONS has to top my list. Not a big fan of the studio version...but it even
sucked more LIVE.

Some of the songs that they played in the club shows on the Licks tour left something to
be desired...but this may have been because they weren't played or rehearsed often.

Dance Pt.1 , Hand of Fate, etc...

On the other hand...one song that always surprises me as being a superb live song
is Memory Motel (w/Mick on keyboards).

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 26, 2009 16:48

HTW. The studio version is the best three minutes of their entire career, but when they do it live, it seems like no other song falls so far short of its studio version as that one does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 16:50 by tatters.

Date: September 26, 2009 17:07

IMO what makes this thread interesting are the surprises. I guess it is obvious that some cuts would not translate well to live stage, and some are clear choices. The Some Girls album, one can reasonable assume is going to work pretty well on stage (and did); Satanic is not especially stage friendly.
So like Neocon says it surprised me when "Memory Motel" works so well, and "Fool to Cry" for that matter. Another good surprise was "Shes a Rainbow"; and I have to say that IMO "Dance Pt 1" worked very well. Matter of fact it changed my whole perspective of the song. Made me like it again.
"Shattered" is a rambling mess; and not in a good way. For some reason Jagger must think it goes over very well because he always has it up there
"Anybody seen my baby" IMO has the same problem "Rocks Off" has: the key is low. So it becomes hard to project on stage. One can always hear Jagger trying to inch up in register; like he cant wait to get to the shouting higher register parts. Now "Baby" has some other problems as well...
With "Mixed Emotions", a cut seemingly made for stage I think it is Jagger who finds fault. Keith would do it justice IMO; it is basically a rewrite of "Take it so Hard" anyway./ I read that what Jagger dislikes about the song is that there isn't enough of a clearcut change from verse into chorus; it is too subtle. The first chord of the chorus is actually a minor chord, but used in a major way. So it's good melodic shift, but it isn't a stadium rock kind of progression. (Terrible consideration)

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 26, 2009 17:15

ASMB did not work live because the Stones never played the song together. The track on B2B was completely constructed by producers. Yet the single and the video fitted into the time. One of my favourite stonessongs is Moonlight Mile, when they played it in 99 it did not work, probably it was not rehearsed enough. With lots of work it might have been impressive.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 26, 2009 17:26

Rocks off, except a couple of the 72 live versions

Shattered, Painful

Monkey man

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 26, 2009 18:06

TeaAtThree
Every version I heard or saw of Anybody Seen My Baby were just painful. I don't love the studio version, but live euh!

amen to that. first time i saw asmb live in '97 was the first time i thought they had laid an absolute egg on the stage. gawd awful.

as to iorr - there's no beating the studio version, replete with 343 guitar parts...but i actually thought the b-stage versions on b2b tour worked well, even if they were at the expense of the far superior LQ, which was the singular highlight of the entire tour....

rough justice sucked on stage, like its cousin ygmr...then again both songs suck period, so i guess that's to be expected....

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 21:49

HTW. The studio version is the best three minutes of their entire career, but when they do it live, it seems like no other song falls so far short of its studio version as that one does.

I agree, in that while I like the live versions of HTW, I don't think they stand up to the record, while Brown Sugar live does, which I find kind of odd. Even though they are really quite different, I've always kind of seen them as similar songs, so it doesn't make sense that one works so well live but the other doesn't. I think it's because Brown Sugar is a faster song to begin with, and they play it even faster live. HTW is much slower and more groove oriented, and that's harder to translate live, things can get lost in the open spaces. Wasn't it recorded with that cassette machine playback method they used in the late 60's/early 70's, which gave the guitars the distinct sound that is key to the song. To me that sound is simply lost live, and the grungy sound it's replaced with doesn't do the song justice. It's the curse of a great record with such a unique sound. Brown Sugar was maybe recorded the same way(?), apparently they used that trick a lot then from what I've read, but because it's faster and doesn't have those squealy little country-ish fills, which is one of the key sounds I'm talking about that makes HTW great, it seems to work better live. I feel the same about Live With Me and Sympathy for the Devil, they just don't seem to come across as well live, they are tricky songs that way. To me, they always play Live With Me too fast and it loses that wonderful grit the record had. It's a great song live in and of itself, but not compared to the studio version. Same with Sympathy, Keith's solos back in the day could be great, but the song as a whole pales to the studio. But the studio version was such a complex sounding piece, with so many layers, it's not easy to re-create that effectively live. Especially on the 69-70's tours, which is the period I'm really talking about. I'm just not crazy about the arrangement of the Ya's Ya's version. It's a good song in and of itself which I like, and Keith's solo is great, but the record sounded so good it doesn't stand up in comparison for me.

Date: September 26, 2009 22:47

tatters

I totally agree. HTW studio verion is perfect.

I almost think of the studio version & live version as 2 different songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 22:48 by sweet neo con.

Date: September 26, 2009 22:56

Palace Revolution 2000
and I have to say that IMO "Dance Pt 1" worked very well. Matter of fact it changed my whole perspective of the song. Made me like it again.

With "Mixed Emotions", a cut seemingly made for stage I think it is Jagger who finds fault. Keith would do it justice IMO; it is basically a rewrite of "Take it so Hard" anyway./ I read that what Jagger dislikes about the song is that there isn't enough of a clearcut change from verse into chorus; it is too subtle. The first chord of the chorus is actually a minor chord, but used in a major way. So it's good melodic shift, but it isn't a stadium rock kind of progression. (Terrible consideration)

I love Dance pt. 1 studio version...and think it could be great live but......seemed kinda messy to me.
I like the mick/keith banter in the beginning of the song..which they failed to do successfully when
performing it live.

And remember the first time most of us heard Mixed Emotions live.... if I'm correct it
was during an MTV music aawards show...via satellite from Toronto (early SW tour). So disappointing.
ME & Take it so Hard might be linked musically as "cousins"...but to me they are so
different. TISH is much better.

Shattered (like HTW) is perfect (imo) on the studio album.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 26, 2009 23:22

I agree with some above that HTW is perfect at studio length but that piano solo and xtra verse live dont work-makes its too long and ruins the entire flow of the song for me!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 27, 2009 01:58

I'm just waiting for someone to say Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 27, 2009 02:11

HTW is one of those crystal clear guitar songs. Perfect in every way. Live, it just seams to be a mish mosh of garbled notes. I have to blame this one on Keith.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 27, 2009 03:00

I've got a few...

First and foremost it's Can't You Hear Me Knockin'?, Sway & Moonlight Mile.

I guess the studio versions are too embedded in my mind that the live versions never came close.

Secondly...Loving Cup...it just looses something live...other than the studio version the electric outtake is the only other one that is listenable.

Third, Shattered, never heard the same jangly riff as the studio version.

Now for the ones that work, that really work...All Over Now & The Last Time just cook live.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 27, 2009 04:31

shattered

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 27, 2009 04:59

I have to agree with several other posts regarding Honky Tonk Women...That particular song USED to be one of my favorites to hear in concert and on every tour since Steel Wheels it has just gotten painfully awful to listen to...The piano solo and extending of that song just turns into a dreadful Las Vegas shlock number (LOL)....

Rocks Off to my ears has never really made a smooth transition from the studio to the live stage (including the versions from 1972-73) which is sad because I really love that tune...

Finally, if the Stones are out there reading these posts...please, please, I beg of you please (LOL), drop Sympathy for the Devil from the setlist-it's an embarrassment (and quite painful experience) to watch Keith Richards attempt to play a solo in that song...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 27, 2009 05:06

Palace Revolution 2000

IMO what makes this thread interesting are the surprises. I guess it is obvious that some cuts would not translate well to live stage, and some are clear choices. The Some Girls album, one can reasonable assume is going to work pretty well on stage (and did); Satanic is not especially stage friendly.
So like Neocon says it surprised me when "Memory Motel" works so well, and "Fool to Cry" for that matter. Another good surprise was "Shes a Rainbow"; and I have to say that IMO "Dance Pt 1" worked very well. Matter of fact it changed my whole perspective of the song. Made me like it again.
"Shattered" is a rambling mess; and not in a good way. For some reason Jagger must think it goes over very well because he always has it up there
"Anybody seen my baby" IMO has the same problem "Rocks Off" has: the key is low. So it becomes hard to project on stage. One can always hear Jagger trying to inch up in register; like he cant wait to get to the shouting higher register parts. Now "Baby" has some other problems as well...
I agree, in that while I like the live versions of HTW, I don't think they stand up to the record, while Brown Sugar live does, which I find kind of odd. Even though they are really quite different, I've always kind of seen them as similar songs, so it doesn't make sense that one works so well live but the other doesn't. I think it's because Brown Sugar is a faster song to begin with, and they play it even faster live. HTW is much slower and more groove oriented, and that's harder to translate live, things can get lost in the open spaces. Wasn't it recorded with that cassette machine playback method they used in the late 60's/early 70's, which gave the guitars the distinct sound that is key to the song. To me that sound is simply lost live, and the grungy sound it's replaced with doesn't do the song justice. It's the curse of a great record with such a unique sound. Brown Sugar was maybe recorded the same way(?), apparently they used that trick a lot then from what I've read, but because it's faster and doesn't have those squealy little country-ish fills, which is one of the key sounds I'm talking about that makes HTW great, it seems to work better live. I feel the same about Live With Me and Sympathy for the Devil, they just don't seem to come across as well live, they are tricky songs that way. To me, they always play Live With Me too fast and it loses that wonderful grit the record had. It's a great song live in and of itself, but not compared to the studio version. Same with Sympathy, Keith's solos back in the day could be great, but the song as a whole pales to the studio. But the studio version was such a complex sounding piece, with so many layers, it's not easy to re-create that effectively live. Especially on the 69-70's tours, which is the period I'm really talking about. I'm just not crazy about the arrangement of the Ya's Ya's version. It's a good song in and of itself which I like, and Keith's solo is great, but the record sounded so good it doesn't stand up in comparison for me.

and your point/s is/are?.......................................?

Bloody hell! who's gonna read all yer sermon?

if ya can't put some paragraphs into your monoliths?

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: September 27, 2009 05:35

Luckily they gave up on it, but I don't know why RAIN FALL DOWN was ever even tried. That awards show version was possibly the worst appearance they ever gave on tv.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home