Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Got live if you DON'T want it--what song doesn't work well for you live?
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 27, 2009 07:04

BluzDude
I'm just waiting for someone to say Midnight Rambler.
midnight rambler is one of the few that is better live. i like the let it bleed version but it totally kicks ass in concert

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 27, 2009 07:18

I have mixed opinions as to this subject:

"Miss You" - no harmonica part live. The studio version did have harmonica, but it was contributed not by Mick Jagger, but by Sugar Blue.
"Gimme Shelter" - no harmonica part live. The studio version did have harmonica by Mick Jagger; although, on the well-known studio cut it sounded like he played it through a distortion pedal beloved of guitarists.
"Paint It, Black" - I don't really care for the elongated humming on the studio version. But I don't know how well MJ could hum the near-ending interlude (before he finishes out with "I want to see it painted/Painted black/Black as night/Black as coal ..." ) for that long live.
"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" - while there was no harmonica on the 1971 studio version, MJ did pull off such a solo when played live (see the 2002 "40 Live Licks" take), double-tasking with maracas.
"Emotional Rescue" - probably never played live due to those high Bee Gees-esque vocals MJ did almost all the way through the song.

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-30 07:39 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: September 27, 2009 10:50

Palace Revolution 2000
Another good surprise was "Shes a Rainbow"

What show has the best version of this tune? It was done in 95, right?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 27, 2009 10:51

Sway
She Was Hot
Torn and Frayed
MonKey Man
Rocks Off (from '94 onward)

and dare I say it...
Jumpin' Jack Flash.
The studio version is my favourite song of all time. They've never, ever caught its true vibe live. There are some really coked-up sped up versions which are totally awesome, but not in the same way that I love the studio version.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 27, 2009 14:44

@#$%& from 1997 on. ugly!

Date: September 27, 2009 19:56

I keep coming back to lyrics on many of these songs. the later n the game in gets, the more they matter. The words HAVE to be something that a) Jagger himself can belt out with conviction, and b) the crowd can drink up with belief. Some lines, no mater what, even if it does come from the mouth of the mighty Jagger just don't work anymore at age 67. What made think of this was a few posts up "Paint it Black" was mentioned. And it's great song, it works well live, has a superb ending with a rave-up stomp; that Spanish flair and all. Now as a young man in a Paris show you are up there screaming "I want to see it painted black as night, the sun blotted out from the sky, the door is red, the world is black etc etc", it's all insanely hot and fiery and dangerous. But coming from a very fit 67 year old, who as been knighted, it can't be done. There are almost too many adverbs to list as to why it does not work.
I am wondering if that is why Jagger now sings many older songs in a most detached manner, as in a reading of someone who used to be, and he is just basiclly giving it a going-through. Like "Shes a Rainbow"; or this is why he would never do "Child of the Moon'. Jagger doesn't believe that anyone "flickers like a lamp lady vision" anymore.
This all sounds very cynical, but Jagger has got to be one of the most cynical people out there. He is always the one to say "forget about the past".
So in away "Oh No Not You Again" caliber stuff. might be the most honest stuff he's got.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 27, 2009 20:16

there is no song that is not worse live than in the studio. and it would be really strange if it was differently. would only mean they didn´t work hard enough in the studio if a live take can beat it.

it´s only r&r studio version is a masterpiece. the life version is almost like a bad blues or r&r standard, nothing special at all.

worst life version must be sympathy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-27 22:20 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 27, 2009 20:25

Respectable - seems like the perfect song to play live, but every time I have seen it, it's a bloody mess. There was one time at the LA Forum, I think, where they were all looking at each other trying to figure out how to keep it together.

I have also always preferred the studio versions of Satisfaction and Street Fighting Man live. The studio version of Satisfaction is slinky, sexy and has those great guitar lines coming from the left and right channels. Early on, they were playing it straight up, I suppose (I like the Sullivan show clip), but whenever I've seen it live, it's the ultimate warhorse, made even more painful with horns and the crowd singalong.

Street Fighting Man is a little better, but I still prefer the studio version.

Date: September 27, 2009 21:13

SZtonewashed - I agree with what has become of Sympathy today; a farce. But again - I have to go back to thE lyrics, the message, what the song IS; benevolent a codemnation..regardless: it was always dangerous. And what the Stones did with it LIVE in 69, 70 was to expound on the studio version. They dug even deeper, and crystallized what the rhythm was about, and how strong that chorus could be. I MEan you had tHE Mick Jagger of 69 up on stage in his top hat and belt going "Pleased to meet you all, I'm the frrakin devil".
And then, as if this weren't enough, Keith and Mick Taylor took the guitars to another stratoshpere.
So the song was not always better in studio; there was a time when it ruled on stage.
But - But, this thing now. Pre-sampled congas, Jgger climbing up on a tower, and slipping into some coat to usher in the "voodoo-esque section" of the show, the guitars, thin and lost and barely more than a posing tool, yes thst is the worst

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 27, 2009 22:03

Sometimes there's songs that needs a rest. HTW, SFTD and Satisfaction are it right now. They've needed a rest since Licks. Not that they're bad, but they need to rest them and let them come back with full force. SFM was rested on ABB although it sounded AMAZING on Licks.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 27, 2009 22:41

stoneswashed77
there is no song that is not worse live than in the studio. and it would be really strange if it was differently. would only mean they didn´t work hard enough in the studio if a live take can beat it.

I don't agree. Although HTW isn't one of them, I think many of the tracks on Ya-Ya's surpass their studio versions. And take an artist like Peter Frampton. It's the LIVE versions, on Frampton Comes Alive, that are the DEFINITIVE versions of those songs.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 27, 2009 22:48

Disagree. I don't think one particular song should get a rest. They should play a large variety of tunes like they did on Licks and everything would be real fine.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 27, 2009 23:23

"I think many of the tracks on Ya-Ya's surpass their studio versions."

No way. Ya-Ya´s is a good example how difficult it is to come close to the studio versions. it still is today, which is why so many acts have lot´s of pre-recorded tracks on stage.

i know you hardcore guys think ya-ya´s is the greatest thing ever.

But may i dare to say that i think if the sound of ya-ya´s was the true stones sound they wouldn´t have had a career.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: September 27, 2009 23:44

its only rock and roll isnt good live, it should have been dropped years ago.

rocks off is poor live.

shattered is great on the still life live album.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 28, 2009 02:10

sad sad sad
you got me rocking
shattered...and a few others i guess.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 28, 2009 02:19

Ha ha. I find the live version of IORR much better than the studio version.

Forever, it would have to be Jumpin' Jack Flash. It's been flat out terrible for eons.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:01

There are certainly a few songs that dont work at all live. To me, MISS YOU has always been the ultimate sucky song live. All the versions suck!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:19

JumpingKentFlash
Sometimes there's songs that needs a rest. HTW, SFTD and Satisfaction are it right now. They've needed a rest since Licks. Not that they're bad, but they need to rest them and let them come back with full force. SFM was rested on ABB although it sounded AMAZING on Licks.

rest them for what? just how many more tours are you envisioning? haha...

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:47

gimme shelter never really worked live. or at least it was never as great as the studio version.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:59

Satisfaction
Shattered
Miss You

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 28, 2009 08:07

I never really liked It's Only Rock 'n' Roll until I heard the version from L.A. Friday Night (recorded on Sunday, July 13, 1975).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 28, 2009 08:08

I'm always bored to pieces when it's time for Satisfaction...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 28, 2009 12:11

Fingerprintfile, a great track on IORR, doesn't work on Love You Live at all. Lame guitar of Keith, terrible vocals of MJ and it sounds if it were recorded in a living room full of carpets and couches ...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 28, 2009 12:29

Both Start Me Up and Honky Tonk Woman have sounded very tired and uninspired on recent tours. They are both wonderful songs, but they need to be rested or reinvented somehow.

Personally, Street Fighting Man doesn’t quite work, live. I really enjoy the Stripped rendition, though. Maybe I’ll learn to appreciate it a little more if they plonk Keith and Ronnie on stools with a couple of Gibson acoustics.

Date: September 28, 2009 16:27

Anybody Seen My Baby! It just didn't work at all, imo...

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 18:32

DandelionPowderman
Anybody Seen My Baby! It just didn't work at all, imo...

Or Love is Strong & Mixed Emotions...

the singles since Steel Wheels have become throw-away tracks....ususally cut from any official live release....save for Don't Stop (my speculations is this was included only because of Ronnie's guitar neck camera).

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 28, 2009 19:13

Anybody Seen My Baby is bloody awful live..

Songs like Rocks Off and Bitch were great back in their day but now Bitch starts with the piano and horns playing a guitar riff, ruins the song.

And Rocks Off used to be great, but the backing singers pretty much sing the whole song with Jagger just coming along for the ride. Sypathy for the Devil has been a disaster recently with poor guitar solos and the oh oh starting before the music even does. Terrible. They should have done Rambler for Shine A Light instead of Sympathy..

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 20:04

Mixed Emotions
Love Is Strong
ASMB
IORR

I like all the above songs but they don't comes across well live.

The only time I really enjoyed IORR is on Love You Live.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home