Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: 1969 US Tour Photo Thread
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 15, 2009 21:03

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: August 15, 2009 22:11

Thnaks a lot Rank Stranger for the post !

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 15, 2009 22:14

Does anyone know of photographs that were taken of Ike and Tina Turner at the 1969 Madison Square Garden shows?

Date: August 15, 2009 22:39

The only picture of Tina in this magazine, no idea where it's from.

Date: August 15, 2009 22:50

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 16, 2009 00:24

oh those legs on tina

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 16, 2009 13:53

For the viewing pleasure of 1969 Tour enthusiasts ;-)

Four photographs from Olympia Stadium, Detroit 24th November 1969.

Ian Stewart can be seen on the left in one of them watching his "shower of shit!'.

He's wearing a yellow shirt under a blue pull over.

These were taken by Bob K.

Thanks to Bob & a mate in Australia who forwarded them on to me.

...and thanks to Rank for posting some of those pics I talked about earlier.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 16, 2009 14:05

Thanks for the awesome pics, Eleanor Rigby! Haven't seen these at all before.
In general, I've seen so many more pics from the '72 tour. There aren't so many circulating from '69, it seems.

Date: August 16, 2009 14:12

In-f8ckin-credible Eleanor Rigby. Just AMAZING!! Someone must use these shots for...something. These are the best kind of shots because you can see so much in detail. Is that Chip Monck over on the left too? In the 3rd pic, the photographers seem to all be facing backwards towards the crowd. Wonder if Jagger had just asked for the houselights to be turned on.
They did not skimp around with the PA, and the guitar amps. It is said that 69 was the first real PA tour; I see they made quite a leap. Some good sidefills next to the piano too. It is interesting that yes - they had a big PA, but were still using massive banks of guitar amps; but looks like only one cabinet per player is miked. ??? Were the xtra extension speaker cabs for house sound. Just cranked up and boosted? Looks like a backup amp stacked behind the amps; on the piano side. In the 4th shot a guy is taking pics from behind stage on piano's side.
One odd thing: in the first shot it looks like the seats in Sec D are more empty than in others. I can tell the angle and lighting is different, but still looks like a lot less people.
I was just talking to my girlfriend today; she was asking "Don't you guys know everything by now? Haven't you seen all the photos?" And I was saying that especially lately there have been so many incredible photos showing up. Photos that I for one had not seen; after a lifetime of Stones, books and mags.

Date: August 16, 2009 14:16

no probs.

check out the guys at the back of the stage peering through the curtain !!
funny..

also Mick's Uncle Sams hat & Keith's guitar...

Date: August 16, 2009 14:24

yeah I believe it is Chip Monck in the 1st pic next to Stu.

i agree - in pic 3 Keith is tuning his guitar, and the photographers are now taking pics of the crowd...so it's quite possibly just as Jagger has asked for the lights to come on in between songs !

Date: August 16, 2009 14:28

This was also forwarded on to me by my mate in Australia.

The Time Magazine article dated the 28th of November 1969 which reviews the Chicago 14th of November concert.

He scanned it in grey because the paper was so yellowed.

At the end of the article are a few paragraphs related to a review of a about to be released John & Yoko LP. No titled mentioned but I presume it's might be the Wedding Album LP as this fits in with the time period of late 1969.

I dedicate this 1969 article to the chappie who had a pleasant reaction to " Napoleon In Rags". ;-)

Enjoy,
Eleanor

Date: August 16, 2009 14:32

Eleanor Rigby
no probs.

check out the guys at the back of the stage peering through the curtain !!
funny..

also Mick's Uncle Sams hat & Keith's guitar...
Are you talking about the guy in 1st and 2nd pic?
I'm thinking now more that the 3rd pic might be Jagger having the lights turned on. Photographers facing towards crowd. And Keith is tuning; while Bill is all the way over on the right side for some reason.
There does seem to be more than just two cabinets miked on Bill/Keith's side.
Is that a guitar neck coming out behind Bill's right shoulder in Pic 4?
Is that Astrid behind Bill's amp?
Check the cheapo fluorescent lights above center stage.
Again, I am struck by the photographer behind the amps, but on stage.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 16, 2009 14:55

Palace Revolution 2000
They did not skimp around with the PA, and the guitar amps. It is said that 69 was the first real PA tour; I see they made quite a leap. Some good sidefills next to the piano too. It is interesting that yes - they had a big PA, but were still using massive banks of guitar amps; but looks like only one cabinet per player is miked. ??? Were the xtra extension speaker cabs for house sound. Just cranked up and boosted? Looks like a backup amp stacked behind the amps; on the piano side. In the 4th shot a guy is taking pics from behind stage on piano's side.

This setup is what they basically used until '81 when they switched to Boogie amps. Keith and Taylor/Wood all played through one SVT stack and used one stack as a backup. But when an amp blew, the new amp would be routed to the original cab, so the spare cab actually is only used when speakers blew. Wyman played through one head and one cab as well, but since '75 a second cab with two 18" drivers was added. The piano and later on organ were also routed through SVT stacks, and since '75 also a leslie was added. All other cabinets are just used as a backdrop, only used as filler to seperate the backstage area from the front stage. Several bands even used empty cabs for this, I do not know if the Stones did this as well.

Two more things I notice: the amp behind Wyman seems to have a mike in front of the amp head instead of the speaker, and Wyman seems to play a different colour bass than the natural/yellow bass he played on that tour.

Mathijs

Date: August 16, 2009 15:03

Very interesting pics, EleanorRigby.
Somehow from the name Olympia Stadium and from the sound of the bootleg I had expected a venue much more open or wider or...don't know how to put it.
Cannot post more pics now, hopefully this evening!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-16 15:07 by Rank Stranger.

Date: August 16, 2009 15:38

Rockman
and of course one's from "Let It Bleed" that non owners haven't seen.

Eleanor .... The main problem is the massive size & weight of "Let It Bleed" ....

Most of the shots even on single pages which are approx A3 size
are too big for scanner and secondly a lot of the shots are double page spreads....

fair enough...
that earlier pic of Jagger & Watts at Altamont in the tent tuning up...nice...thanks...is this pic from Let It Bleed?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 16, 2009 15:41

>> Ian Stewart can be seen on the left in one of them watching his "shower of shit!' <<.

smile: he seems to be getting a kick out of 'em :E
very interesting photos - thanks!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 16, 2009 15:47

Interesting info, Mathijs. It really looks like that in the picture: 1 regular stack + 1 backup stack + 1 filler cab for each guitarist. Pretty funky with the piano miked through an Ampeg as well.

I just love how Keith leaned his second guitar against the drum riser, without a guitar stand. How things change...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 16, 2009 16:36

Amazing pictures,really, thanks so much for sharing.

First picture, from the book, front row, above the amplifier, I had noticed this hairy James Bond guy on other pictures with a suit, tie for years on other pictures - I still wonder if he was a fan or maybe a reporter

On the fantastic Eleanor Rigby' set, the second picture is interesting - watch on the second guy on the left, standing with the big mike - is he a bootlegger?

Date: August 16, 2009 20:02

Date: August 16, 2009 20:05

I am trying to find the guy in second picture; the possible bootlegger with big mike. Just can't spot him.
I love this November evening, Detroit crowd; second pic, the two guys back to back, big heavy, lumber coats, beards, hands in pocket.

Date: August 16, 2009 20:16

Date: August 16, 2009 21:17

Date: August 16, 2009 21:23

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 16, 2009 22:51

Fantastic thread with some truly magnificent pics and articles!!

Keep it going!

Date: August 16, 2009 23:01

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 17, 2009 00:24

Re: 1969 US Tour Photo Thread new
August 16, 2009 20:05 Date Registered: 4 ***years ***ago

"I am trying to find the guy in second picture; the possible bootlegger with big mike. Just can't spot him"

My mistake, he is the second guy on the right, not on the left, among the few standing, you can notice him because in addition being with a big mike, he is the only one not watching the stage - he seems busy tuning his tape recorder

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 17, 2009 00:54

The pictures from the magazine are wonderful, Rank Stranger. I know this is a Photo Thread, but I'm also very much enjoying reading Michael Lydon's text, and wondering what he said on the missing pages that I guess had no pictures in them? Any chance of posting the article in full - or is it too long?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 17, 2009 01:08

I was enjoying the text too -- that paragraph on Auburn is funny, very much what I expected unfortunately.

Date: August 17, 2009 04:32

The Joker
Re: 1969 US Tour Photo Thread new
August 16, 2009 20:05 Date Registered: 4 ***years ***ago

"I am trying to find the guy in second picture; the possible bootlegger with big mike. Just can't spot him"

My mistake, he is the second guy on the right, not on the left, among the few standing, you can notice him because in addition being with a big mike, he is the only one not watching the stage - he seems busy tuning his tape recorder

I believe it's a hand held flash and the guy is looking at his camera - not a tape recorder...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home