Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1973 UK/EUROPE: CHANGE OF OPINION!!
Date: December 29, 2004 07:11

For years I have put this tour down, saying the band was sloppy, and everything else into the bargain. I've been listening to my boots from the tour (I nearly have the complete available boots) for the past week and I have discovered that, rather tahn sounding sloppy, the band acutally sound like a really really good bar band, which is what they started out to be! Much more good-timey! Also, Europeans know how to have a good time better than us Americans, but, I hereby rescind my formerly cast aspersions about this tour.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: 1973 UK/EUROPE: CHANGE OF OPINION!!
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 29, 2004 17:18

Can you recommend any particular recordings for Rotterdam, Copenhagen and Hamburg from this tour?

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: December 29, 2004 21:08

They played Aarhus in Denmark.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: December 29, 2004 21:29

There are lots around: Aarhus is probably not available though. From Copenhagen Greatest Dane, Rotterdam to many to mantion try Lost Brussels or Europe -73 (sister morphine). Jamburg is available but in a rather bad quality. I have heard most of the boots from this tour (I saw them in Copnehagen) and most are not that good (soundnwise that is). Frankfurt (VGP) is good though.

Mats Larsson

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 20, 2010 15:18

THE STARS IN THE SKY THEY NEVER LIE is the must-have album (do I have to mention the other one?).

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 20, 2010 15:33

there are many.
I must say I get a little tiresome of the 1973 Euro Tour...there's some tremendous shows as well as lacklustre ones.
I think London, Brussels, Berlin & Frankfurt are the ones to get your hands on.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: January 20, 2010 17:18

OT: to Menace

The quote at the bottom of your opening post, "Do what you want to do" (I'll skip the other part) was told to me recently by a dying man, a good friend of mine. He's gone now but I'll never forget it. He said it's the key to staying happy and enjoying life.

Anyway...

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: January 20, 2010 18:04

masseolle
There are lots around: Aarhus is probably not available though. From Copenhagen Greatest Dane, Rotterdam too many to mention try Lost Brussels or Europe -73 (sister morphine). Jamburg is available but in a rather bad quality. I have heard most of the boots from this tour (I saw them in Copenhagen) and most are not that good (soundwise that is). Frankfurt (VGP) is good though.

Mats, did you see the show that was recorded as WONDERFUL WONDERFUL COPENHAGEN (Brandby-Hoallen, October 7, 1973)? If so, how was the show?

I have the WONDERFUL WONDERFUL COPENHAGEN LP but I'm not sure if I have even listened to it. eye rolling smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 18:35

never had to change my opinion, i like it a lot

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 20, 2010 19:50

There are many good boots from Europe '73 (Brussels, Berlin, London, Berlin, as mentioned). And if you dig deeper there are a lot of less famous nuggets to be found -- little variations and special happenings.

Many British shows were awesome -- the soundboard from Newcastle along with Birmingham and all the Empire Pool stuff. One of the London shows has my favourite versions of Tumbling Dice where Mick confronts the police during the actual performance of the song. Starf*cker is great from the same show.

On the early shows (Vienna and Mannheim) you got 100 Years Ago. There's also one early show where Mick Taylor plays slide on Honky Tonk Women, which I think is the only time he did that.

One Essen show (I THINK) has some of the sloppiest vocals ever from Jagger, where he chops every dang line off short. (E.g. "Dancing so g'd" instead of "Dancing so gooood"). It sucks in the long run, but its enjoyable on one boot.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 20, 2010 20:21

The often overlooked Vienna show : the rock press from all over Europe was there so the Stones knew they had to rise to the occasion (and they did...).

Want a show that sucks? Manchester #1 (keith dragggggged the whole band that night : listen to Hbreaker and try not to yawn) or the afternoon Frankfurt gig >grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-20 20:31 by dcba.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 21, 2010 00:26

dcba
The often overlooked Vienna show : the rock press from all over Europe was there so the Stones knew they had to rise to the occasion (and they did...).

Want a show that sucks? Manchester #1 (keith dragggggged the whole band that night : listen to Hbreaker and try not to yawn) or the afternoon Frankfurt gig >grinning smiley<

I met a woman at Pesos on Queen Anne in Seattle in September 2007 who was at the Vienna show. The twinkling in her eyes told me how magical that show was. All those cool songs!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home