Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Ticket Price Shocker!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 17, 2010 15:29

VIP table seating for James Taylor/Carole King is $367.40. VIP table seating? In a 20,000 seat arena? Good to know they're just keepin' things "mellow".

Re: OT: Ticket Price Shocker!
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 17, 2010 16:27

Luckily the kind of fans they attract can afford such prices.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 17, 2010 16:44

There's a lot of this sort of thing going on at the moment, and sadly it sells well, so more of this type appears for sale.
I guess the recession only hits the ordinary people, still if people want to waste money , someone will always find a way of helping them waste it.
Can't help wonder if the artists get a cut from all this expensive pre show crap, also wonder if the people buying such packages, really care about the music on offer or just want to think they are more important than normal customers, after all some of the artists I have seen offer this type of package are not exactly difficult to see, or indeed that good.

Date: January 17, 2010 17:42

Hey ain't it good to know
That you've got a friend
People can be so goddam greedy all the time
They'll cheat you
And tour with L.A. studio hacks like Danny "Kootch" Kortchmar, Russ Kunkel and Leland Sklar
They'll rip you off if you let them
Oh yeah, but don't you let them

Date: January 17, 2010 17:45

adotulipson
There's a lot of this sort of thing going on at the moment, and sadly it sells well, so more of this type appears for sale.
I guess the recession only hits the ordinary people, still if people want to waste money , someone will always find a way of helping them waste it.
Can't help wonder if the artists get a cut from all this expensive pre show crap, also wonder if the people buying such packages, really care about the music on offer or just want to think they are more important than normal customers, after all some of the artists I have seen offer this type of package are not exactly difficult to see, or indeed that good.

I don't think the price I quoted includes any pre-show crap. It's not a special package. It's just the basic ticket price for the best seats. Can't wait to see what the Eagles/Fleetwood Mac tickets are gonna cost.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-17 17:48 by tatters.

Date: January 17, 2010 17:50

"If Richard Nixon made an album, Leland Sklar would play bass on it"

-Christgau

Date: January 17, 2010 17:53

When was the last time JT did an arena tour anyway? I'll bet it was when he still had hair and a moustache.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 17, 2010 18:02

tatters
VIP table seating for James Taylor/Carole King is $367.40. VIP table seating? In a 20,000 seat arena? Good to know they're just keepin' things "mellow".

Its no more shocking than the Stones charging $100 more for something similar. The fact is that most acts of a certain age will have a certain amount of fans with a large enough disposable income who will think nothing of paying through the nose for the best seats, so several acts choose to exploit this.

They're just'dressing it up' by calling it 'VIP' seats. It's akin to polishing a turd.

The Stones do the same thing only with higher prices - eg 'hot seats' (pay double the price of an already extortionate ticket price and have a few peanuts thrown in plus a worthless laminate to make you feel important), 'special fan club packages' (pay even more than the 'hot seat' ticket and get your transport and an overpriced hotel package thrown in as well), 'priority fan club ticket sales' (often worse than whats offered on public sale - but with an extra $100 bill to reward you for your stupidity loyalty) and 'on stage seating' (which was nothing of the sort, it's actually 'above stage standing').

Date: January 17, 2010 19:30

Gazza
tatters

Its no more shocking than the Stones charging $100 more for something similar. The fact is that most acts of a certain age will have a certain amount of fans with a large enough disposable income who will think nothing of paying through the nose for the best seats, so several acts choose to exploit this.

They're just'dressing it up' by calling it 'VIP' seats. It's akin to polishing a turd.

The Stones do the same thing only with higher prices - eg 'hot seats' (pay double the price of an already extortionate ticket price and have a few peanuts thrown in plus a worthless laminate to make you feel important), 'special fan club packages' (pay even more than the 'hot seat' ticket and get your transport and an overpriced hotel package thrown in as well), 'priority fan club ticket sales' (often worse than whats offered on public sale - but with an extra $100 bill to reward you for your stupidity loyalty) and 'on stage seating' (which was nothing of the sort, it's actually 'above stage standing').

Every time I mock someone else's avarice, someone is sure to point out that the Stones are more guilty of this than anyone. I know that. When I point out someone else's flaw, it doesn't mean I think the Stones aren't guilty of the same flaw. I'm not one of these "The Stones can do no wrong" people. Then again, we could use a few more people like that around here. Right now, there's far too many "The Stones can do nothing right" people.

Date: January 17, 2010 19:34

Think you're missing my point, tatters - which is that its not that much of a 'shocker' when we're well used by now to other acts doing the same thing.

Date: January 17, 2010 19:40

Gazza
Think you're missing my point, tatters - which is that its not that much of a 'shocker' when we're well used by now to other acts doing the same thing.

You're missing MY point, which is that even at today's inflated prices, $375 for two stalwarts of the early 70s singer-songwriter "movement" is unbelievable. What next? $750 for Donna Summer and the two surviving Bee Gees?

Date: January 17, 2010 19:47

Its only 'unbelievable' if you can't personally relate to the act in question, tatters.

There's always going to be someone for whom that act is a huge deal...I've no doubt that there ARE people who would pay the amount of money youve just quoted to see the surviving Bee Gees. I used to work with a woman who was as huge a fan of the Bee Gees as pretty much anyone I know is of the Stones.

Some people would argue that paying a similar amount to see the Stones based on their belief that THEY peaked 40 years ago is equally unbelievable. Then again, most people arent going to see these acts based on their current body of work. Its all the same argument, as far as I can see. The only difference is down to one's personal preference for the artist in question.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-17 19:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 17, 2010 19:55

tatters
Gazza

You're missing MY point, which is that even at today's inflated prices, $375 for two stalwarts of the early 70s singer-songwriter "movement" is unbelievable. What next? $750 for Donna Summer and the two surviving Bee Gees?

JT and CK are very talented songwriters in their own right but it will be even more shocking if they sel out these shows

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 17, 2010 20:03

Actually, I don't get why anyone is "shocked" about such a thing. It's very commonplace now. If you were one of these stars wouldn't you want to keep the riff raff out? Have only the most important rich people attending so they can eat $100 cheese and crackers so that don't applaud very loud because they'd be dispersing expensive crumbs so you can hear your acoustic guitar?

Date: January 17, 2010 20:07

Cant imagine too many tickets would be in the $375 category though, although, yes, its hard to imagine them filling too many 20,000 seater arenas.

Selling those size of venues out isnt that much of a big deal to most artists though. Once you get above the level of theatre sized venues (say, up to 5-6,000), theres very few venues that seat between 6 and 12,000 so unless youre going to force yourself to play multiple nights in theatres, the next step is to play sports arenas that can seat up to 20,000. Its easy enough to reduce the capacity of a venue of that size to make the place look more filled up if you're only able to sell about 12,000 tickets, whether its by bringing the stage forward or tarping sections off. The same maxim applies for acts who can fill arenas but may have difficulty filling stadiums.

Date: January 17, 2010 20:15

Gazza
Its only 'unbelievable' if you can't personally relate to the act in question, tatters.

There's always going to be someone for whom that act is a huge deal...I've no doubt that there ARE people who would pay the amount of money youve just quoted to see the surviving Bee Gees. I used to work with a woman who was as huge a fan of the Bee Gees as pretty much anyone I know is of the Stones.

Some people would argue that paying a similar amount to see the Stones based on their belief that THEY peaked 40 years ago is equally unbelievable. Then again, most people arent going to see these acts based on their current body of work. Its all the same argument, as far as I can see. The only difference is down to one's personal preference for the artist in question.

First of all, I CAN personally relate to some of their music, otherwise I wouldn't be outraged at the ticket prices. If the prices were reasonable, I might have been interested in going. The point is not that there are people who are willing to spend $375 to see James Taylor and Carole King. The point is that $375 to see those two acts is totally OUT OF PROPORTION to the prices other acts of similar standing are charging. An act's ticket prices should bear SOME relation to their actual accomplishments and achievements, not what they think they can get away with charging. $375 for Taylor/King would not be a problem if, for example, Paul McCartney was charging $1000, or Billy Joel and Elton John were charging $500. But McCartney tickets DON'T cost $1000. They top out at $250, and the best seats for Billy Joel and Elton John are around $175. I think the Taylor/King tour is a case of "Hey, we're both in our 60s. We both have relatively affluent audiences. Why don't we team up and do a big arena tour and CASH IN before it's too late!" Same thing with Eagles/Fleetwood Mac except it's gonna be in STADIUMS for heaven's sake. And mark my words, in a few years, you'll have the big disco acts doing the same thing; one last big cash in before the party's over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-17 20:23 by tatters.

Date: January 17, 2010 20:25

tatters
Gazza

First of all, I CAN personally relate to some of their music, otherwise I wouldn't be outraged at the ticket prices. If the prices were reasonable, I might have been interested in going. The point is not that there are people who are willing to spend $375 to see James Taylor and Carole King. The point is that $375 to see those two acts is totally OUT OF PROPORTION to the prices other acts of similar standing are charging. An act's ticket prices should bear SOME relation to their actual accomplishments and achievements, not what they think they can get away with charging. $375 for Taylor/King would not be a problem if, for example, Paul McCartney was charging $1000, or Billy Joel and Elton John were charging $500. But McCartney tickets DON'T cost $1000. They top out at $250, and the best seats for Billy Joel and Elton John are around $175. I think the Taylor/King tour is a case of "Hey, we're both in our 60s! We should team up and do a big arena tour and CASH IN before it's too late!" Same thing with Eagles/Fleetwood Mac except it's gonna be in STADIUMS for heaven's sake. And mark my words, in a few years, you'll have the big disco acts doing the same thing; one last big cash in before the party's over.

Who says the ticket prices are out of proportion? and who made the rule that ticket prices need to reflect some arbitrary rating of an artists talents or accomplishments??

The only rule I know of is an artist has the right to charge whatever the market will bear. If JT and CK can get $375 a ticket then it is their right to do so and more power to them...If anyone does not like the prices they are not forced to buy the tickets..If people don't buy the tickets then the tour will tank and next time they will not charge as much.....Afraid I am not following your logic...there is no caste system in rock which dictates what an act can charge......if you don't like the prices you don't go.........

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 17, 2010 21:04

Leave Leland Sklar alone. The Oakridge Boys still want him back.

As for ticket prices, that's for the people going to decide.

I paid $1,000 for Kiss last month. I got front row center seats, meet & greet, photo taken with them (just me with the 4 members), they signed my guitar, logo drumhead, 16x20's, 8x0's, Kiss Coffee House bag. Throw in some guitar picks, shirt, poster, tour book, $100 coupon for their on-line store. It was an expensive evening but I do not regret it. I made the choice to but that package. Seeing an energetic band with pyro, etc from the front row was pretty cool. I was allowed to take photos the whole night from the front row and Gene even goofed around and made poses for me.

Date: January 17, 2010 21:21

oldschool
tatters
Gazza

First of all, I CAN personally relate to some of their music, otherwise I wouldn't be outraged at the ticket prices. If the prices were reasonable, I might have been interested in going. The point is not that there are people who are willing to spend $375 to see James Taylor and Carole King. The point is that $375 to see those two acts is totally OUT OF PROPORTION to the prices other acts of similar standing are charging. An act's ticket prices should bear SOME relation to their actual accomplishments and achievements, not what they think they can get away with charging. $375 for Taylor/King would not be a problem if, for example, Paul McCartney was charging $1000, or Billy Joel and Elton John were charging $500. But McCartney tickets DON'T cost $1000. They top out at $250, and the best seats for Billy Joel and Elton John are around $175. I think the Taylor/King tour is a case of "Hey, we're both in our 60s! We should team up and do a big arena tour and CASH IN before it's too late!" Same thing with Eagles/Fleetwood Mac except it's gonna be in STADIUMS for heaven's sake. And mark my words, in a few years, you'll have the big disco acts doing the same thing; one last big cash in before the party's over.

Who says the ticket prices are out of proportion? and who made the rule that ticket prices need to reflect some arbitrary rating of an artists talents or accomplishments??

The only rule I know of is an artist has the right to charge whatever the market will bear. If JT and CK can get $375 a ticket then it is their right to do so and more power to them...If anyone does not like the prices they are not forced to buy the tickets..If people don't buy the tickets then the tour will tank and next time they will not charge as much.....Afraid I am not following your logic...there is no caste system in rock which dictates what an act can charge......if you don't like the prices you don't go.........

Unfortunately, oldschool, you are exactly right. The notion that there should be a pecking order based on 'accomplishments' is nonsensical. One fan's definition of a genius is someone else's definition of an overrated no-talent. Most (not all - some still have some scruples) performing artists will charge a price that they think the market will allow them to get away with. Its got nothing to do with how great they are or what they've achieved in their career.

Anyway, Carole King released an album in 1971 called 'Tapestry' which sold 25 million copies - three times as much as 'Sticky Fingers', which came out the same year and twice as much as any Stones album in history. Thats quite an 'accomplishment and achievement' by any standards and I suppose for her fans gives her the 'right' to charge them the sort of prices that the Stones or McCartney charges.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 17, 2010 21:24

what comes with the VIP TIX besides the price since i have never done it for the stones either?

Date: January 17, 2010 21:25

trainarollin

I paid $1,000 for Kiss last month. I got front row center seats, meet & greet, photo taken with them (just me with the 4 members), they signed my guitar, logo drumhead, 16x20's, 8x0's, Kiss Coffee House bag. Throw in some guitar picks, shirt, poster, tour book, $100 coupon for their on-line store. It was an expensive evening but I do not regret it. I made the choice to but that package. Seeing an energetic band with pyro, etc from the front row was pretty cool. I was allowed to take photos the whole night from the front row and Gene even goofed around and made poses for me.

Thats the thing. Personally I wouldnt go down the street to see Kiss because their music means nothing to me, but if YOU felt it was worth that amount of money for a special moment with a favourite band that was of great personal value to you, then theyve no more or no less a right to charge that than any other act has. Glad you had a great time.

Date: January 17, 2010 21:32

tatters
And mark my words, in a few years, you'll have the big disco acts doing the same thing; one last big cash in before the party's over.

They probably already have. Why should this nonsense be expected to just be limited to rock acts?

The Eagles and the Stones etc were the first rock acts to start this overpriced elitist nonsense. However, it had been going on in other forms of music prior to that - Streisand, Sinatra, Diana Ross had been doing it for years and it was normal in opera or with the likes of Pavarotti, etc. Eventually rock acts were able to ditch a few principles and cash in on the idea as well. It was always going to be just the tip of the iceberg, so plenty of other artists followed suit, to the extent where almost every major act in any genre of music who has a decent sized fanbase (and preferably one which has a middle aged fanbase as they're more likely to have the money) is going to have some degree of 'elite pricing' when they go on tour.

Date: January 17, 2010 21:33

melillo
what comes with the VIP TIX besides the price since i have never done it for the stones either?

Peanuts and a few drinks. You also get promised a laminate although from what I recall a lot of people 'complained' that theirs never arrived. LOL.

Date: January 17, 2010 21:43

trainarollin

If you are a big fan of the band the experience you had is priceless and that is why we work so hard isn't it?

Just curious but I know Kiss holds back the first so many rows for these meet and great packages. Were all the seats sold? how was the turnout for the $1000 tickets??

Date: January 17, 2010 21:47

Gazza
tatters
And mark my words, in a few years, you'll have the big disco acts doing the same thing; one last big cash in before the party's over.

They probably already have. Why should this nonsense be expected to just be limited to rock acts?

The Eagles and the Stones etc were the first rock acts to start this overpriced elitist nonsense. However, it had been going on in other forms of music prior to that - Streisand, Sinatra, Diana Ross had been doing it for years and it was normal in opera or with the likes of Pavarotti, etc. Eventually rock acts were able to ditch a few principles and cash in on the idea as well. It was always going to be just the tip of the iceberg, so plenty of other artists followed suit, to the extent where almost every major act in any genre of music who has a decent sized fanbase (and preferably one which has a middle aged fanbase as they're more likely to have the money) is going to have some degree of 'elite pricing' when they go on tour.

Hey why not? many of these bands/ acts were exploited and ripped off by managers etc in their primes so if thy can finally cash in on the nostalgia craze good for them...Why begrudge them one more good pay day in their old age....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 17, 2010 23:31

oldschool
Gazza
tatters

Hey why not? many of these bands/ acts were exploited and ripped off by managers etc in their primes so if thy can finally cash in on the nostalgia craze good for them...Why begrudge them one more good pay day in their old age....

<<< many of these bands/ acts were exploited and ripped off by managers etc in their primes so if thy can finally cash in on the nostalgia craze good for them ... Why begrudge them one more good pay day in their old age ... >>>

That's actually a good point. There's been tons of Stones bashing on his board about their ticket prices, I've certainly got my two cents worth in on the subject for sure. But I suppose it is worth reminding ourselves that regardless of how we perceive some artists of gouging us fans TODAY, there have been times well in the past when they themselves have been gouged; everyone around them was probably making money, just not THEM. Easy to overlook that I suppose, and perhaps if we WERE to cut some of the more expensive artists today some slack, it would be on account of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-18 00:31 by paulywaul.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 18, 2010 00:08

[

Just curious but I know Kiss holds back the first so many rows for these meet and great packages. Were all the seats sold? how was the turnout for the $1000 tickets??[/quote]

Kiss sold at least 100 Platinum Packages for the show I attended. It seemed most of us were in the first few rows. My 2 tickets I bought were front row center section between Gene's microphone and the drums.

The Meet & Greet itself was very rushed, that was my only regret. They did it 15 minutes before they went on. They also had us wait in a hallway for 75 minutes.

It was interesting.

Date: January 18, 2010 00:46

paulywaul
That's actually a good point. There's been tons of Stones bashing on his board about their ticket prices, I've certainly got my two cents worth in on the subject for sure. But I suppose it is worth reminding ourselves that regardless of how we perceive some artists of gouging us fans TODAY, there have been times well in the past when they themselves have been gouged; everyone around them was probably making money, just not THEM. Easy to overlook that I suppose, and perhaps if we WERE to cut some of the more expensive artists today some slack, it would be on account of that.

All very true - but in fairness I think some of them (the Stones included) have more than got their own back by now! LOL.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 18, 2010 00:51

Gazza
paulywaul

All very true - but in fairness I think some of them (the Stones included) have more than got their own back by now! LOL.

Well yes, suppose so. £300 million in the bank or whatever MJ & KR are individually supposed to be worth is probably ample compensation for rip-offs in their past lives.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2010 00:54

"I paid $1,000 for Kiss last month. I got front row center seats, meet & greet, photo taken with them (just me with the 4 members), they signed my guitar, logo drumhead, 16x20's, 8x0's, Kiss Coffee House bag. Throw in some guitar picks, shirt, poster, tour book, $100 coupon for their on-line store. It was an expensive evening but I do not regret it. I made the choice to but that package. Seeing an energetic band with pyro, etc from the front row was pretty cool. I was allowed to take photos the whole night from the front row and Gene even goofed around and made poses for me."

Goes to show Gene Simmons is the biggest whore in showbiz. Must be a shock for the KISS (my ass?) to discover they cannot even sell out an arena my (European) country (even though they do ONE gig, and they come every 10 years).

- "And how many 1000$ pacakage have we sold yet" asks Gene.
- "Errrr... we cannot even sell regular tix there" replies the manager. >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home