Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: 1969 US Tour Photo Thread
Date: August 17, 2009 05:20

I think it would be great to post as much hard info on Auburn 69 shows as possible. The two Auburn shows have remained some of the very elusive, non documented shows in Stones history.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 17, 2009 05:49

Well there was this video regarding a poster:

[www.pbs.org]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2009 06:00

Mick Jagger 1969 .......................................................................... Ethan Russell

ROCKMAN

Date: August 17, 2009 06:03

That crowd doesn't look as Lydon's text leads one to believe; he probably wasn't actually present.

Stanley Booth talks about this show in his book. Apparently there was a freak snowstorm which delayed their arrival from Atlanta.

Edited to add: in case it's not obvious, snowstorms are rarer than hen's teeth in Alabama.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-17 06:05 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: August 17, 2009 11:24

From the review of the Chicago show posted on the previous page;

Middle age! Institution!

They have literally been writing the same stuff for the last 40 years

Excellent thread btw.thanks

Posted by: varv ()
Date: August 17, 2009 15:36

So far the only picture I've seen of the Champaign Illinois shows is from the "Discover America" magazine. I'm not sure if it's from the first or second show. Would really like to see more from there,especially the first show since it was my first time seeing the Stones. Great thread already-can't wait to see more!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 17, 2009 21:45

Date: August 17, 2009 22:05

Date: August 17, 2009 22:16

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 17, 2009 22:17

still ill: you are so right! Same old paint by numbers reviews of the Stones - not to mention just about every other album, novel, film, etc. It never changes.

BTW, I bought this magazine when I was a kid in '69, scarce realizing that I myself would end up seeing the Stones on that tour! So obviously I LOVE this thread!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 17, 2009 22:24

scaffer

BTW, I bought this magazine when I was a kid in '69, scarce realizing that I myself would end up seeing the Stones on that tour! So obviously I LOVE this thread!

The 69 tour magazine!? It wasn't out till 1970. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-17 22:27 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: August 17, 2009 22:31

Just like to say... best thread of the year! thumbs up

Thanks everyone for sharing these gems.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 17, 2009 23:13

Thanks a gazillion for the scans Rank Stranger. Killer stuff.

Date: August 18, 2009 00:55

Rank, can I ask - where is that blue Jagger photo from? Everything looks different; like not at all 69 get-up. Stupendous pic.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 18, 2009 02:43

i think Jagger wore the blue outfit in LA...

Date: August 18, 2009 04:17

Hi all,
My mate in Australia sent me this review of the Boston 2nd show performed on the 29th November 1969.
He doesn't know where it originally came from as it was send to him as a typed letter years ago.
It was written by a person with the endearing moniker of "Old Mole" which in some English speaking countries can be
used as a derogatory term for a "loose" female ;-)

If "Old Mole" was old then, I wonder what he / she is called now, " Ancient Mole" perhaps ;-)
Anyway it's a good read by someone who was hip to the times.

Cheers,
Eleanor

On November 29, the Stones played their second concert in Boston. The first, over three years ago, had been played in Manning Bowl in Lynn. Then the press referred to the Stones as the GROUP SECOND TO THE BEATLES, but to the bikers, high school kids and college rock freaks who packed the Bowl, sat through the rain and the McCoys singing Hang on Sloopy, the Stones were more important than any press statement. There was no other band that through its music (both lyrics and instrumentals) could so precisely pounce on all that is most obscene and grotesque in our culture, mirror all our feelings, and throw them back at us in a selfconscious and rebellious way. The Stones were and are a ROCK group. On that rainy summer late afternoon when they broke into Paint it Black, Jagger cavorting, taunting, urging: black jacketed kids snaked, danced tore up the chairs, carried each other on their shoulders and felt all their passions, depressions, darknesses, petty rebellions and rage come pouring out.

Now the Stones returned to Boston. Again touted by the press, hailed by eager promoters, accompanied by unctuous disk jockies, they were now playing in a society that has a commercial youth culture, where rock has become an important part of tens of millions of people's lives. This time they played in Boston Garden, following Bruins games and preceding the Ice Capades. Tickets, unscalped, were going for $6.50 - -$7.50. But despite all the furbishings and prices, the Stones performance was still an attack on popular culture. They are what they were three years ago, except more so and better at it.

Their concert was long, and despite a few technical troubles brilliant. The Stones looked like their music. Jagger was dressed in black jersey, black silver-dotted bellbottoms and a long purple taffeta scarf. He walked on in an Uncle Sam hat; on his scrawny chest was a large painted Resistance sign. Keith Richards was also notably grotesque: red tee shirt with comic star in the center, and one flashy pearl earring. In general they looked thoroughly raunchy, ugly, pale and scrawny.
The first song, Jumping Jack Flash, revealed what was to be underscored all evening: that the Stones are musically, especially in their guitar work, among the greatest of the groups. Keith Richards, who no one used to be even aware of, is a stunningly exciting guitar player. And Mick Taylor, the newest Stone, has an impressive blues style of his own.

They next went into an old Chuck Berry song, fitting because that is where the Stones came from: Berry, Howling Wolf, the Kings, Muddy Waters. In the early years they played only their own, often very good, translations of Black America's music. They made little pretense at exact copy, no real attempts at innovation. They mastered and retained the classic rock form, later added some elements of Soul. Now almost all their material for the last three and a half years has been their own, built on this tradition.

What makes their music exciting and startling is the way in which it cuts through all the false sentimentality of pop romanticism. Unlike a lot of the commercial "youth culture", they sure don't obscure our society's realities. They reflect them so harshly, starkly, and creatively that their music becomes an assault on the culture, their concerts even a taunting jeer at the audiences. While other groups sing of idealized sexual relationships, or romanticize male supremacy, the Stones slap you in the face with it: Stupid Girl, Back Street Girl, Mother's Little Helper. They understand and make you feel musically all the tension, ugliness, tenderness, frustration and excitement that presently go into sexual relations. What other group could produce Going Home? Next to the Stones, the Doors seem hollow in their attempt to portray sexual release. What other group could have produced Satisfaction? Last week they also performed their more recent songs, still richer musically, especially Stray Cat Blues and Love in Vain. Jagger and Richards also did several with Jagger singing and Richards on acoustical guitar.

But the turning point was their long, theatrical straight old Stones Midnight Rambler. Against the impressive guitar work, Jagger sang and acted out the story of a rapist, with explosive contortions, down on the floor, taking off his belt, almost throwing the microphone into the crowd. And when it was over, the Stones had everyone in the audience digging them on their own terms. Then they whipped into some of their best songs: Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women and finally Street Fighting Man. But not before Jagger had the house lights on so he could see his audience and exclaim (taunt?) "Are you not beautiful!?"

The Stones' music began from their appreciation of the culture, with all its contradictions, of the Black underclass. They continue to identify, to push to the extreme their identification with all, the outcasts whose lives indict our culture ("I want to dedicate this song to all the fags and junkies in the audience"). And with every performance Jagger taunts the audience, plays to them, plays with them, plays on every taboo. Their performance is a combination of great rock and the theater of the absurd and the cruel. It is not just that their lyrics accuse-their music expresses, releases, incites the anger and rebellion of a generation whose national anthem screams "I can't get no satisfaction. "

Old Mole December 5th 1969

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: August 18, 2009 06:30

this is a great thread. thanks to all for the pictures and text.

Date: August 18, 2009 06:34

Mick Jagger 1969 ......................................................................... Ethan Russell

ROCKMAN

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 18, 2009 07:49

screw keith for wearing a dallas cowboys t shirt (if that is what it is)

p

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 18, 2009 07:57

it still amazes me that at that time, the fans could be right up against the stage. I mean, it wasnt long before that that the chicks would climb on stage and take a run at one member of the band or another.

Did a chick ever take a run at Charlie??!!

Plus, with the increase in violence in the US since '66, even more amazing.

What was the first tour with a large gap between the audience and the stage where security would be, etc??

p

Date: August 18, 2009 10:17

Rockman

Mick Jagger 1969 ......................................................................... Ethan Russell

Does anybody know or have any idea at what American 1969 shows Mick wore the big white shirt AKA the puffy shirt ;-) )
He also wore it at one of the Saville Theatre London shows in December 1969.
And thanks Rockman for the (unseen to me) picture of Mick wearing the above described shirt while belting the stage during Midnight Rambler.
Any idea Rockman what city this photo was taken at?

Cheers,
Eleanor

Date: August 18, 2009 10:52

...and due to Rockman finding a rare gem, I will post a further pic of Detroit !

Once again, these were taken by Bob K.

Thanks to Bob & a mate in Australia who forwarded them on to me.

enjoy!

Eleanor

Date: August 18, 2009 10:58

Any idea Rockman what city this photo was taken at?

Sorry Eleanor.... Ethan doesn't list in book ...
and I'm really not very good at that dating stuff ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-18 11:45 by Rockman.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 18, 2009 11:34

Ah thanks, Rockman, but I'm completely out of practice; I can't tell which concert it is...unless I searched through several books and magazines
...a lot of the photos posted in this thread is completely new to me....thanks for sharing, everyone. Think I'll have to put on a 1969 recording straight away

Date: August 18, 2009 11:39

Whoooooops sorry ta put ya on the hot plate Erik ... Just thought you'd know ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 18, 2009 12:05

A great thread and stunning photos, Eleanor, a real glimpse into the heady days of 1969.....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 18, 2009 12:34

No need in editing, Rockman - I love placing with Sssoul on one of them plates myself, and I like being there myself as well....especially during these cold summer days - it's just a compliment

Date: August 18, 2009 22:45

Palace Revolution 2000
Rank, can I ask - where is that blue Jagger photo from? Everything looks different; like not at all 69 get-up. Stupendous pic.

I don't know, all the pictures I posted are from the magazine "RS discover Amerika"; see my first entry in this thread. That photo is credited to James Cummings.Maybe it is so blue because of the spotlights??
I am very busy at the moment, so I will post the other pics on Thursday, nothing spectacular ahead anyway!

Date: August 20, 2009 03:39

>I mean, it wasnt long before that that the chicks would climb on stage and take a run at one member of the band or another

Well that was still going on in '69, as seen in GS.

Date: August 20, 2009 21:44

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home