Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Girl singers on Where The Boys All Go
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 5, 2009 14:23

Sorry guys - all full of questions today. Anyone know who the girl singers are on this track? I always had a hunch it could be Jerry, Jo and Patti in a moment of drunken revelry.

Re: Girl singers on Where The Boys All Go
Date: August 5, 2009 14:39

I read something about the girls only being some they found on the street outside of the recording studio. Can't remember where I read it though...

Date: August 5, 2009 14:44

From www.timeisonourside.com:

(The backup vocalists) were just little girls who live up the road. In New York... Central Park West... (T)hey had all the attitudes off, it was the notes they couldn't get. (Laughs).

- Mick Jagger, 1980

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 5, 2009 14:59

DandelionPowderman
(The backup vocalists) were just little girls who live up the road.

I wonder if their parents knew at the time ! eye rolling smiley

Date: August 5, 2009 15:10

Can't believe that they didn't capitalise on the publicity. Maybe they're famous now? Anyway, what were the band doing looking for little girls in Central Park West? Was it Bill who went looking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-05 18:11 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 5, 2009 17:38

It's Mick, Keith & Ronnie.

Posted by: Hot Meat Pie ()
Date: August 6, 2009 00:34

Yeah, I've always thought it sounds just like Mick & the boys in the band singing the chorus verse.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 6, 2009 00:59

Is this song the lowest in Stones history? Close to it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 6, 2009 01:00

According to an interview Mick did for BBC radio in June 1980 when the album came out, they were three teenage girls who lived near him in New York who asked him could they sing with him in the studio because they "wanted to be singers". They weren't picked up at random as suggested above.

He couldn't remember their names. Presumably its not on the studio logs either. As Silver Dagger says, it's surprising that they just seemed to disappear without trace and not capitalize on it. Then again, if they were neighbours of Mick, maybe they didn't exactly need to cash in!

Date: August 6, 2009 01:00

More Hot Rocks

Top ten or twelve for me.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 6, 2009 01:03

Don't really like this song either, at first I thought it was so so then hearing the girls come in at the end is horrible. Just never liked this one.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 6, 2009 01:15

Gazza
More Hot Rocks

It used to be in my top three, but recently (last two months) I've been listening to the album a lot and I quiet like the song now--for what it is. Perhaps because my expectations had been so low, I'm not expecting much but I see it as a b side to something off Some Girls, like WTWCD, Respectable, or Shattered.

Much worse for me are songs like Blinded By Rainbows, Indian Girl.

I still have a hard time with that sort. Makes my teeth hurt.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 6, 2009 06:04

camper88
Gazza
More Hot Rocks

It used to be in my top three, but recently (last two months) I've been listening to the album a lot and I quiet like the song now--for what it is. Perhaps because my expectations had been so low, I'm not expecting much but I see it as a b side to something off Some Girls, like WTWCD, Respectable, or Shattered.

Much worse for me are songs like Blinded By Rainbows, Indian Girl.

I still have a hard time with that sort. Makes my teeth hurt.

I'm with you. I love the song (and can't stand Blinded By Rainbows).

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 6, 2009 08:00

i got a LOTTA play out of that album; however 'where the boys all go'..always reminded me of such an obvious johnny rotten cop that i enjoyed it's rhythm but seemed almost like rather desperate parody in a way

Date: August 6, 2009 10:09

Great song, great playing, great attitude. Tounge in cheek and quality - hand in hand winking smiley

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: August 6, 2009 10:31

I think it's a great song, and the girls are one of the reasons for this:

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 6, 2009 11:45

Just love the whole album.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 6, 2009 12:40

leteyer

+1

Wit and attitude, that's it.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 6, 2009 12:47

Wild Slivovitz
leteyer

+1

Wit and attitude, that's it.

+2
Love All About You and Send it to Me. She's so Cold and even (gasp) ER itself.

Date: August 6, 2009 12:51

Absolutely love Down In The Hole which sounds like it could have fitted in nicely with that voodoo vibe on side 3 of Exile.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 8, 2009 01:27

Gazza
According to an interview Mick did for BBC radio in June 1980 when the album came out, they were three teenage girls who lived near him in New York who asked him could they sing with him in the studio because they "wanted to be singers". They weren't picked up at random as suggested above.

He couldn't remember their names. Presumably its not on the studio logs either. As Silver Dagger says, it's surprising that they just seemed to disappear without trace and not capitalize on it. Then again, if they were neighbours of Mick, maybe they didn't exactly need to cash in!

Mickette HAS been known to lie to journalists just to take the p*ss out of them.

Date: August 8, 2009 01:31

HEILOOBAAS
Gazza

Mickette HAS been known to lie to journalists just to take the p*ss out of them.

I listened to and taped the interview at the time and he seemed totally sincere about it. Considering no one else has come up with a plausible alternative answer in the 28 years since, his story sounds reasonable enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home