Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

12 String Guitar on Stones Songs
Date: August 1, 2009 15:33

Trying to recall which songs feature 12 String guitar. Seems there was a brief period where Keith favored them. Early on.
So "Good Times Bad Times" - used on a Blues number. Actually a bit rare to use the "melodic" sounding instrument here.
He does it again on "(Tell me Baby) How Many Times".
"Congratulations" - good solo on the 12 string.Early on when Keith would solo on acoustic, he played on practically every beat.
I think "If You Let Me" might be a 12 string.
Is Taylor on 12 on "Wild Horses" or is that 6 string Nashville?
Whenever I see photos of Keith with a 12 string he is with the Dreadnought body type; not the Jumbo body. They sound very different IMO.
"Ride on Baby" and "The Singer not the Song" - the acoustic guitar seems to be a 12 string in both.

I'm noticing a common theme already: these are all early period songs.

Re: 12 String Guitar on Stones Songs
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 1, 2009 16:01

Mother's Little Helper riff is played on an electric 12 string according to Keith

I think Keith used a 12 string acoustic on the 1970 European Tour for "You Gotta Move" and "Prodigal Son".

Also, on recent tours he has been known to play a 12 string guild on "Wild Horses" and another 12 string (Martin?) on "As Tears Go By"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-01 16:05 by vudicus.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 1, 2009 16:14

I've always heard Wild Horses is Nashville tuning..and that sounds right to me.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 1, 2009 16:52

Also, on recent tours he has been known to play a 12 string guild on "Wild Horses" and another 12 string (Martin?) on "As Tears Go By"

that was a 10-string tuned to open G actually, well for Wild Horses at least.
dunno about ATGB.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 1, 2009 20:01

>> dunno about ATGB. <<

will Con Le Mie Lacrime do, open-g honey?

- Milano july 11th 2006 by Brian Rasic, courtesy of Lawrence

Posted by: jacopo ()
Date: August 1, 2009 20:04

in that pic is a 12 string standard tuning for ATGB, as weel for the version of SAL movie

Date: August 1, 2009 20:20

Ten-string only for WH

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 1, 2009 23:45

How about " PLaying With Fire" and " Lady Jane"....I love the sound of a 12-string. The Byrds use 12 strings quite a lot, a very distinctive sound.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 2, 2009 01:45

mickschix
How about " PLaying With Fire" and " Lady Jane"....I love the sound of a 12-string. The Byrds use 12 strings quite a lot, a very distinctive sound.

Both of those are not 12-string, just regular 6-string acoustics.
Brian used a 12-string electric on Get Off My Cloud.
Someone mentioned Ride On Baby,I don't think there's one there.
I'll have to listen to it again. Brian does play on autoharp on that one, though.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 2, 2009 02:20

tomk
mickschix

Both of those are not 12-string, just regular 6-string acoustics.
Brian used a 12-string electric on Get Off My Cloud.
Someone mentioned Ride On Baby,I don't think there's one there.
I'll have to listen to it again. Brian does play on autoharp on that one, though.

Right - I'd say it's the harpsichord on 'Lady Jane' and 'Play With Fire' that gives them a more 12-stringy sound, but agreed they're definitely played on standard 6-string. So does anybody know for sure definitively if 'Wild Horses' is played on a 6-string in Nashville Tuning, or a 10string (which I honestly am not familiar with). To my ears it certainly sounds like a 12-string, but most things I have read about it always say otherwise.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 2, 2009 03:18

Isn't Nashville tuning using the E, B and G strings for E, A and D on a six string? That's how I've always understood it.

A nine string is nice - 3 less to go out of tune.

Date: August 2, 2009 06:07

yes, that is what Nashville tuning is. I have an SG strung up like that. - the sound is outrageous. Capo that then in like the 7th fret, and it's like a bells.

tomk, I am pretty sure there is a 12 string on Ride on Baby. Not that easy to tell. It's the acoustic in the intro I am talking about - it only accents the 1 on the bar; like power chords. The harpsichord and marimbas are in right channel and start the song. Brian accidentally hits a marimba note before song begins. Then that big acoustic hits 4 chords. Keith plays two electrics - one on each side. That's a good bit of overdubs they did, because there is that big timpani roll too, a piano comes in on left and in the instrumental break there are some congas, plus a hi pitched string instrument - like the Japanese sounds . That's a lot of tracks with bass, drums, jagger and keith's vocals.
The harpsichord and the timpani are most likely punched in on one of the other's tracks ,as are the weird guys in the break.

Date: August 2, 2009 06:14

Palace Revolution 2000

tomk, I am pretty sure there is a 12 string on Ride on Baby. Not that easy to tell. It's the acoustic in the intro I am talking about - it only accents the 1 on the bar; like power chords. The harpsichord and marimbas are in right channel and start the song. Brian accidentally hits a marimba note before song begins. Then that big acoustic hits 4 chords. Keith plays two electrics - one on each side. That's a good bit of overdubs they did, because there is that big timpani roll too, a piano comes in on left and in the instrumental break there are some congas, plus a hi pitched string instrument - like the Japanese sounds . That's a lot of tracks with bass, drums, jagger and keith's vocals.
The harpsichord and the timpani are most likely punched in on one of the other's tracks ,as are the weird guys in the break.

Let me have a listen to it again for the parts you;re talking about
(i recognize most of them from your post). However, I do think that marimba note
that starts the song is no accident. It's definetly planned (as the riff comes in the count of two). Great intro: One note, the riff, then the band comes in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 06:34 by tomk.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: August 2, 2009 06:28

Yes it does look like most of the early songs had 12 string in them wheras some of the latter material had pedal steel eg-Faraway Eyes,Torn and Frayed.One of the earlier versions of Wild horses has a pedal steel guitar part.

Date: August 2, 2009 07:14

tomk
Palace Revolution 2000

Let me have a listen to it again for the parts you;re talking about
(i recognize most of them from your post). However, I do think that marimba note
that starts the song is no accident. It's definetly planned (as the riff comes in the count of two). Great intro: One note, the riff, then the band comes in.

After listening to it, it could be; it's hard to tell. If it is, it's capoed up a few frets. The electric on the other side is definetely capoed and is a six string. Keith does some bends on it and you can definetly tell if one is playing a 12 sting if they bend strings (you get the McGuinn/psychadelic tone).
The sweeping sounds are an autoharp which I'm sure Brian played.
It's not a timpani. That's Charlie on his floor tom.
There's a lot happening on this gem. And this was recorded along with, what,
5 or 6 other tunes in about 2 days?!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: August 2, 2009 08:25

No-one has mentioned Brian playing his Vox Teardrop 12-string on Its All Over Now. Photos of him & Keith playing the beast are over in the Brian's Guitars thread.

Here's yours truly with my Vox Phantom 12-string circa 1972. Note the Dylanesque harmonica holder & the peace signs around the bottom of the jeans..

Date: August 2, 2009 08:38

>> So does anybody know for sure definitively if 'Wild Horses' is played on a 6-string in Nashville Tuning,
or a 10string (which I honestly am not familiar with).<<

we can't be "definitive" without specifying which rendition of the tune we're talking about.
Keith uses his custom 10-string (think of his 5-string open G tuning, times two) on recent concert renditions of Wild Horses,
but not on the original studio recording. the original studio recording features one Nashville-strung guitar.

oh and the Stripped version features one open-G guitar, but not a 10-string, right?

Date: August 2, 2009 14:26

Stripped version has no 12 string. Keith on Open G, and Ron on the great Gibson. I rarely will ever prefer another version over the original, but I almost like the Strpped version the best. It is Keith's guitar. What he does every time he hits the A minor is just too beautiful.
I also think there is no 12 string on the original Sticky version. Although I do have doubts: on some of the outtakes, when you can hear different mixes, and Taylor would vary a bit, it sounds like some of those overtones COULD be on the G and D string of a 12 strung guitar.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 3, 2009 03:33

Sunshine pickup in that 12. Keith likes Sunshine; seen one in one of his sixes too.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 3, 2009 04:31

with sssoul,

As Tears Go By from SAL . . . just like Con Le Mie Lacrime. It's almost like he were playing the same song. winking smiley

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-03 04:31 by camper88.

Date: August 3, 2009 07:23

mercy camper88 - i am cognizant that it is the same song!
thanks for the charming screenshot, though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-03 07:25 by with sssoul.

Date: August 3, 2009 10:27

On the studio version of WH, Keith plays in standard tuning (both acoustic and electric). MT plays the Nashville-strung guitar.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: August 3, 2009 13:04

On the Stripped outtakes, it sounds like Keith is playing a 10-12 string guitar on No Expectations.

Date: August 3, 2009 13:14

Keith plays electric on NE, doesn't he? Mick and Ronnie on acoustic...

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 3, 2009 14:21

with sssoul
mercy camper88 - i am cognizant that it is the same song!
thanks for the charming screenshot, though

Of course you are. Hence the wink. I wasn't trying to be fresh.

Date: August 3, 2009 17:43

>> I wasn't trying to be fresh. <<

smile: i get it now, camper88 ... so thanks again for the very pretty screenshot
and have some popcorn :E

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home