Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Altamont Soundboard
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 6, 2009 14:26

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 01:13 by stone-relics.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: July 6, 2009 17:20

Would be killer if true...

Posted by: Paintitblak ()
Date: July 6, 2009 19:27

When I was working for a bootleg label, I won't name here, I was approach by a guy
who had reel to reel tapes of complete Altamont soundboard as well as the 2 complete MSG 69 soundboard shows on reel to reel tapes. The reels were duplicated from the masters, as they were burned in an accident as he told me. He got this from his brother who was working with Maysles and died a while ago. The dude wanted $25 000 US for the Altamont tape and $15 000 for each MSG tapes. I've heard snipets of the Altamont tapes and it was THE soundboard for sure. Maybe someone finally bought the tapes from the same guy.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 6, 2009 19:37

Who is the best person to contact regarding a previously un heard or circulated live recording of the stones in 1966?

What could one realistically receive for such a trade recording wise?

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: July 7, 2009 18:08

It looks like Chris removed the samples. Probably because he got flooded with e-mails asking him about the tape.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 7, 2009 20:55

like going on a date with a woman showing cleavage and lots of leg....look but dont touch....TEASE.....share it all or dont share it

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 7, 2009 21:04

like going on a date with a woman showing cleavage and lots of leg....look but dont touch....TEASE.....share it all or dont share it>grinning smiley<

or we are the beggars ?

Date: July 7, 2009 21:09

Wanna hear snippet of Glasgow 66!? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 7, 2009 21:22

His Majesty
Who is the best person to contact regarding a previously un heard or circulated live recording of the stones in 1966?

Commercially, uncirculated tapes aren't worth much anymore due to the internet. It's nice to have to trade against other uncirculated material, or you can release it in very limited quality (say 100 - 300 pieces, worth about $1500) and that's about it. There's no market anymore for bootleg CD's and just a very small market for vinyl boots.

Mathijs

Date: July 7, 2009 21:27

Mathijs
It's nice to have to trade against other uncirculated material,

thumbs up

Date: July 7, 2009 21:43

Wanna hear snippet of Glasgow 66!?

so there is rumor of a tape ?.........

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 7, 2009 22:22

HM, can you confirm Glasgow 66 exists? can you tell us something more and evenctually create a contact?

Date: July 7, 2009 22:43

It 110% exists!

I have heard incomplete recordings of both the stones and the yardbirds directly via the original taper, the original tape on the very same Revox machine he recorded parts of the gig with.

I/he wants to be put in contact with someone who might have something equally rare and uncirculated from the Jones era with the hope of trading.

I came good on the Aberdeen 82 thing so hopefully people don't see me as some bull crap type of person, this situation is different to that one sadly thus the chances of it being uploaded are pretty low.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 22:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 7, 2009 23:22

HM - I can make a proposal, need your e-mail or contact me pvt.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 8, 2009 14:59

Tornandfrayed
It looks like Chris removed the samples. Probably because he got flooded with e-mails asking him about the tape.

Well, it had to happen, considering the negative posts that showed up - as if ChrisM owed us something. If he has the complete tape and tries to tease some people who own uncirculated material in order to work out a trade, whats wrong with it? Chris is not obliged to put a tape like this on the internet for free downloading as soon as he gets his hands on it. He owes us nothing! Im for one am just happy for the proof that an Altamont soundboard indeed exists. I am pretty sure that sooner or later everybody here will get a cance to listen to it. And if not? Even in this case, life will go on. Its not that no other Altamont tapes exist! We all know the music pretty well, unlike, lets say the 100 Club show in Stus honour.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: July 8, 2009 15:03

Could the Maysles have a complete taping of this show ?

Date: July 8, 2009 15:13

Mathijs
His Majesty

Commercially, uncirculated tapes aren't worth much anymore due to the internet. It's nice to have to trade against other uncirculated material, or you can release it in very limited quality (say 100 - 300 pieces, worth about $1500) and that's about it. There's no market anymore for bootleg CD's and just a very small market for vinyl boots.

Mathijs

Wonder why boot labels like Rattlesnake and Crystal Cat - not to speak of the japanese labels - are still in business for just 100-300 pieces or a market that isnt there anymore as you said!

Date: July 8, 2009 15:29

alimente
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Wonder why boot labels like Rattlesnake and Crystal Cat - not to speak of the japanese labels - are still in business for just 100-300 pieces or a market that isnt there anymore as you said!

Because their market is global, and partly "legal". The labels from Luxembourg release titles in editions of 1000 copies. Part of that is sold within Luxembourg where these titles still fall within the legal/illigal cracks. The rest is mainly shipped off to the US and Japan, where the market is large enough for 500 - 750 copies. Even so, the output of these titles has come down dramatically. They used to release a couple of titles a month, including large box sets, and these days its just a few titles per year. And this is also true for Japanese labels like VGP and Tarantura. Their output used to be much bigger -a title like LA Friday has sold over 4000 copies, whereas they only sell 200 - 300 copies of a title these days.

If you have an uncirculated tape you can release it through the major boot labels, but you can also release it independently. In both cases the commercial value for the owner of the tape is in the $1000 to $1500 range (if the tape is really interesting that is).

But, I wouldn't want to push 100 CD's nowaways: you sell 10, and than it will be up for grabs on the internet.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 8, 2009 15:35

Mathijs
alimente
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Because their market is global, and partly "legal". The labels from Luxembourg release titles in editions of 1000 copies. Part of that is sold within Luxembourg where these titles still fall within the legal/illigal cracks. The rest is mainly shipped off to the US and Japan, where the market is large enough for 500 - 750 copies. Even so, the output of these titles has come down dramatically. They used to release a couple of titles a month, including large box sets, and these days its just a few titles per year. And this is also true for Japanese labels like VGP and Tarantura. Their output used to be much bigger -a title like LA Friday has sold over 4000 copies, whereas they only sell 200 - 300 copies of a title these days.

If you have an uncirculated tape you can release it through the major boot labels, but you can also release it independently. In both cases the commercial value for the owner of the tape is in the $1000 to $1500 range (if the tape is really interesting that is).

But, I wouldn't want to push 100 CD's nowaways: you sell 10, and than it will be up for grabs on the internet.

Mathijs

exactly, and that's why people who have uncirculated tapes are pushing shit uphill if they want +$10,000 for it...no bootleg company will spend that much on it...
as alimente says - at least we know the recording is "alive"...there's no doubt the show will surface come time...how long we have to wait? well perhaps another 40 years...by then no-one will care !

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 8, 2009 15:36

Unfortunately (I think) thats the reason alot of distributors wait until they have exhausted their ordering process before shipping!

Date: July 8, 2009 15:40

without a doubt...certainly these days....

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 8, 2009 16:24

Does anyone have contact with Klein or Universal? Seems to me that they could start opening the vaults and do a website download service. Just think, if they allowed shows to go for $ 15 each and 10000 fans were the only ones to purchase (which is a low number), that is 150,000 per show. Seems worth it to me since the overhead to run a site and get the tapes cleaned up and converted to digital downloading files would not cost too much...

Date: July 8, 2009 17:09

Mathijs
Because their market is global, and partly "legal". The labels from Luxembourg release titles in editions of 1000 copies. Part of that is sold within Luxembourg where these titles still fall within the legal/illigal cracks.

They may believe that, but the legal situation chnanged in Luxembourg too in the mid-nineties. Labels like Flashback or TSP did not close for nothing.

Date: July 8, 2009 17:29

stone-relics
JR

JR are you that paranoid that you have to edit your post when you are incorrect?

Date: July 8, 2009 18:11

Eleanor Rigby
stone-relics
JR

JR are you that paranoid that you have to edit your post when you are incorrect?

He often deletes posts, I guess for different reasons.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 8, 2009 18:43

Now that this thread ahs evolved in a "bootleg market" discussion, Mathjis can you please tell us the story behind the 1995 2nd Paradiso tape?
How this one was taped for example... Thanks!

Date: July 8, 2009 19:27

lost my french broadcast of altamont ,,,,,can't find it !!!!!!!!!!yawning smiley

Date: July 8, 2009 23:20

alimente
Mathijs
Because their market is global, and partly "legal". The labels from Luxembourg release titles in editions of 1000 copies. Part of that is sold within Luxembourg where these titles still fall within the legal/illigal cracks.

They may believe that, but the legal situation chnanged in Luxembourg too in the mid-nineties. Labels like Flashback or TSP did not close for nothing.

There's a whole story behind that and I will not go into details. But as we are all aware: these labels never closed down of course.

Mathijs

Date: July 9, 2009 00:15

Mathijs
There's a whole story behind that and I will not go into details. But as we are all aware: these labels never closed down of course.
Mathijs

You're rewriting history, Mathijs! I know these people quite well. Flashback carried on for a while, but after he was imprisoned in the States (the Disneyland bust, of all places!) he called it quits. TSP stopped in time. I was there when TSP cleared their stocks, feeding my collection (and those of a couple of collector friends) with lotsa goodies for a clearance discount! Of course Im aware that there are people out there with no connection to the original label who put stuff out using the TSP logo. Back in the days I knew the complex legal things better than nowadays because as a die-hard collector I wanted to know why one on my favourite labels called it quits, but the international copyright treaty (GATT-TRIPS?) that came into effect was also signed by Luxembourg and that meant a 50 year protection period was invented for record companies plus artists and their performances, and, even worse, this was retroactive, meaning even performances before the date of GATT-TRIPS coming into effect were now protected, so that was it. The owner of TSP explained me that considering the new 50 year protection period, it would make no sense to continue TSP with recordings from 1945 and older...!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-09 00:19 by alimente.

Posted by: Paintitblak ()
Date: July 9, 2009 02:52

TSP was a trial in Luxemburg for Bertelsmann Music Group until they lost their support. TSP stopped less than a year after BMG called it quit in Luxemburg.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home