Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Altamont Soundboard
Posted by: dph ()
Date: July 1, 2009 04:31

Wow, what a find. How long has it been up? Sounds like a SB to me. Hope there's more to come.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: July 1, 2009 07:07

JR may be right (he usually is); however, please keep in mind:

I and others were there at Altamont - Keith was unbelievably loud in the beginning. So much so that he almost completely drowned out everyone except Mick J. I say this despite having been on the Mick T. side of the stage!

Also, the fact that one can clearly hear Mick J. and, probably, Keith talking just before JJF cranks up suggests the recording is either SB or (as JR speculates) low gen very closely placed reel to reel.

In 1970 I actually answered a newspaper ad from a tape trader in Palo Alto, California who claimed he had been at Altamont and possessed a recording of the show. Nothing ever came of it ... but yo, maybe this is from that guy???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-01 07:08 by scaffer.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 1, 2009 07:32

surely this is soundboard?
the crowd that night was very restless...more crowd noice would have been picked up by any tape recording...especially when the band finally came to the stage that night!!!

scaffer - I remember reading your in-depth analysis of the show a while back. yes you did say JJF was VERY loud!!! Also remember the mixing board had problems all day.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: July 1, 2009 09:09

Definitely snbd altho a bit rough, here's the direct link to the mp3, just paste it into your browser & a 'save' dialogue box will show up.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Date: July 1, 2009 10:09

Thanks Eleanor Rigby.

We should recognize that the bass and drums don't have the closeness one would associate with a typical soundboard mix.

... But then, Altamont was hardly a typical concert. For example, there was no 'backstage' at all, and front stage was complete chaos.

Any soundboard recording would have been a kluge, no matter who was managing it.

Checking out the link from vox12string now.

Date: July 1, 2009 10:21

Charlie's high-hat sounds really bright - maybe too much so for an audience recording.

Mick J.'s vocals are super clear and crisp. They definitely seem soundboardish.

If this is an audience tape, the taper was good buddies with the Hells' Angels.

... Or else he/she wasn't, in which case we have our explanation as to why this recording ends before the second verse!

If it exists, I'd sure love to hear Mick Taylor's solo on 'Love In Vain'!

Date: July 1, 2009 10:57

yeah....or MT's solo in SFTD & Satisfaction !

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2009 16:48

This also could be a profesional audience tape -in the GS movie you can clearly see a very large condensor microphone close to the stage belonging to the soundcrew. It's at Keith's side. This is the microphone that also recorded the audience noise for Ya-Ya's, including the "Pain it black" remark.

Mathijs

Date: July 1, 2009 16:48

Mathijs
Altamont must be available in SB as god awfull sounding umpteenth generation copy of the original soundboard tape did circulate a while back within tape traders. It had the first 8 or 9 songs.

Mathijs

was that the radio broadcast version that "surfaced" about 3-4 years ago? Yeah that was about 10th+ gen! And ran fast!!

Date: July 1, 2009 17:24

Mathijs
This also could be a profesional audience tape -in the GS movie you can clearly see a very large condensor microphone close to the stage belonging to the soundcrew. It's at Keith's side. This is the microphone that also recorded the audience noise for Ya-Ya's, including the "Pain it black" remark.

Mathijs

what does a Professional audience tape entail? Is it a guy getting paid by the band to tape the show? smiling smiley

I still cannot think it's an audience recording as we are talking about the minute the band sets foot on stage in front of the most craziest crowd ever! If it was this "professional aud tape" you mention, you would still expect more crowd noise at the very intro of a Stones show...especially at Altamont.

The thing is - can Chris M please let us know (or put on his website) if there's more...maybe that is the only answer ? At least an indication when this "coming soon" Altamont page will be ready!

Posted by: Haristone ()
Date: July 1, 2009 17:47

Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs
Altamont must be available in SB as god awfull sounding umpteenth generation copy of the original soundboard tape did circulate a while back within tape traders. It had the first 8 or 9 songs.

Mathijs

was that the radio broadcast version that "surfaced" about 3-4 years ago? Yeah that was about 10th+ gen! And ran fast!!

The radio broadcast is circulating since a very long time.
I trade this tape some 25 years ago, when I started collecting tapes, and it WASN'T a rarity. and I think it was aired shortly after the concert.

Date: July 1, 2009 19:04

Eleanor Rigby

what does a Professional audience tape entail? Is it a guy getting paid by the band to tape the show? smiling smiley

Its an audience recording done by the PA guys! There's this famous pic of the stage with several shepard dogs, and there's this mike. I believe this is what most of the Altamont in GS stuff is recorded with, with all the audience talking etc. You even hear it being hit at times. It's right in front of Keith in the picture.

Mathijs

Date: July 5, 2009 13:52

Well this ain't no "professional audience rec"...Chris is now teasing us
Check out his Stray Cat snippet...

Date: July 5, 2009 14:45

Eleanor Rigby
Well this ain't no "professional audience rec"...Chris is now teasing us
Check out his Stray Cat snippet...

So, he has the soundboard, that's clear.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: July 5, 2009 14:49

Stray Cat download link: [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Date: July 5, 2009 14:56

I love the title "AnotherPieceofThe Grail" !!

c'mon Chris - more please !!!!????

Date: July 5, 2009 16:30

Keith "Stray Cat!"
Jagger replies - spaced out out....classic

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 5, 2009 18:18

oh man what ever this is its a great recording, most likely a board but where the heck is the rest of it!!!!!!!

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 5, 2009 21:40

His name is Chris M. He is a very private man and I don't believe you will receive access to the soundboard. I have often wondered if the "M" stood for Maysles... you know the family that taped this tour!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 5, 2009 21:53

bigmac7895
His name is Chris M. He is a very private man and I don't believe you will receive access to the soundboard. I have often wondered if the "M" stood for Maysles... you know the family that taped this tour!

In case he continues releasing small snippets every now and then, it is very well possible that we will be able to put a complete soundboard together in a couple of years - like a puzzle... COLLECT 'EM ALL!!!!!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 5, 2009 22:29

I guess you know what I think about it. I sent him a short and kind mail asking only about the source and possibility of sharing this with Stones fans all over the world, he didn't answer.

Being private doesn't have to mean being selfish. Keeping hidden one of the most important recordings in the Stones history is a crime IMHO - no offence to Chris, but that's just unkind.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 5, 2009 22:47

ssounds great " stray cat blues"hot smiley

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: July 5, 2009 22:54

bigmac7895

No, his name is not Maysles.

I've traded with him once or twice, he's a very nice guy who is especially well learned about the intricacies of Stones recordings, both studio and live. I'll admit I'm fascinated by his Altamont soundboard teasers, but I'm hopeful in time we can all share in it. I can be patient. Heck, I waited 40 years for the first copy of Son House's 1930 Paramount recording of "Mississippi County Farm Blues" b/w "Clarksdale Moan" to turn up...I can wait a bit for the Altamont SBD.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 5, 2009 22:56

then where does he get it then?

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: July 6, 2009 00:15

i like 'em, too...keep em coming, please...and thanks for posting what's already been posted.

Date: July 6, 2009 00:40

bigmac7895

Certainly not Maysels. Chris M. is a dedicated collector and trader, and if you have something interesting a trade can always be setup. If you do not have something to trade he is not obliged to give away his Altamont tape.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 6, 2009 00:50

Isn't the mysterious Chris M. simply our own Chris Menicou, a IORR pillar and a hardcore fan from the Bay Area?

Date: July 6, 2009 04:20

you are absolutely correct - Chris has no obligation at all to share the recording.
What i would like to know is how the hell he got his hands on this treasure!
And whether it is the complete show...

At least we know it most definately exists...and in a Stones trader's hands!!!

Looking forward to his next snippet....

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 6, 2009 05:48

Mathijs
bigmac7895

Certainly not Maysels. Chris M. is a dedicated collector and trader, and if you have something interesting a trade can always be setup. If you do not have something to trade he is not obliged to give away his Altamont tape.

Mathijs

Indeed, nevertheless, releasing snippets like this is almost cruel...perhaps ChrisM could release a song at a time...or perhaps prepare the entire show for download to core fans for a price. What is the point of hoarding such a treasure when there would be a very active, grateful (and potentialy lucrative) audience for it? I mean, we're all not getting any younger and every succeeding generation gives less and less relevance to this defining, historic show. At what point does one say, let's just put it out there before anyone and everyone that has any profound interest is infirm, senile, or dead?

Date: July 6, 2009 06:06

I dare say the recording could be on loan to him to update his website for his "Altamont" section.
It may have been given to him by a person who doesn't want it distributed (someone close to Maysles?)....and to merely aid him in updating his Altamont page.

but seeing as it's being flirted with I believe in the long run we'll get our hands on it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home