Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: "Jeff Beck Feared Stones Death"
Date: June 11, 2009 18:18

<Don't mention the music>

What do you mean?? Ronnie was an important part of my favourite Stones album Some Girls. Why are people badmouthing Ronnie now? I know, he had an awful period between 1994-2002. But later he has performed well with The Stones. Sober, that is. And his number of sober days are increasing, luckily smiling smiley

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: June 11, 2009 18:31

StonesFanatic
Amsterdamned
<Ronnie seems to be Keith's tagalong buddy...which is fine, obviously it's worked for 30 years!>

Don't mention the music.confused smiley

Since I don't like any of it, don't worry, I won't! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

So you are saying that you don`t like the stones for 30 years????
Why on earth are you following the band, get a life, go to another group man, don`t stay in the past !!!

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 11, 2009 19:18

wild_horse_pete
StonesFanatic
Amsterdamned
<Ronnie seems to be Keith's tagalong buddy...which is fine, obviously it's worked for 30 years!>

Don't mention the music.confused smiley

Since I don't like any of it, don't worry, I won't! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

So you are saying that you don`t like the stones for 30 years????
Why on earth are you following the band, get a life, go to another group man, don`t stay in the past !!!

By your logic, I should cease my fandom and mesageboard participation of the Beatles, Who, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, etc...

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 11, 2009 19:30

Don't listen to these die-hards - your right on with your points - fanatic
"as musicians go - Frampton, Rory, or Wayne Perkins were "head-over'heels"
better guitarists than - you-know-who....

But for keeping the Stones together this long, Ronnie was probably the best "fit"..

And right about "NOW" the Stones could use a major upgrade at guitarist, to
preform some of their classic albums from the early 70's. Wonder who's out
there playing gigs at the moment?????

MLC

Date: June 11, 2009 19:39

MCDDTLC

But for keeping the Stones together this long, Ronnie was probably the best "fit"..

MLC

I respect his points, don`t worry about that...

The only thing i really don`t get, is why are you staying on the begin 70`s period, i know it was a great period.
But before and after that, they also did allot of great things, you don`t need to compare it all the time.

Date: June 11, 2009 19:47

wild_horse_pete
MCDDTLC

MLC

The only thing i really don`t get, is why are you staying on the begin 70`s period, i know it was a great period.
But before and after that, they also did allot of great things, you don`t need to compare it all the time.

I'm a huge fan of all things Stones UP TO and including the Tour of the Americas in 1975. After that, apart from a few songs I don't mind (note: I didn't say "like", I said "don't mind") they do nothing for me at all...

Date: June 11, 2009 19:50

StonesFanatic
wild_horse_pete
MCDDTLC

MLC

I'm a huge fan of all things Stones UP TO and including the Tour of the Americas in 1975. After that, apart from a few songs I don't mind (note: I didn't say "like", I said "don't mind") they do nothing for me at all...

Hehe looking to your other topic you discovered the `75 period,there is a little hope for you brother.smileys with beersmileys with beer

Date: June 11, 2009 20:01

Well I like the '75 tour because it's all material from the eras I love ('63-'74) and Ronnie does a pretty good job filling in for Mick T (not as good as Mick T but very good)...I also think, though, in addition to the quality of the music, that the quality of the performances went downhill gradually...I've listened to boots from '76 on and they are more miss than hit, although some are pretty good...

Date: June 11, 2009 21:10

Hey - Pete - I saw them also in 75... and like alot of Stones music with Ronnie.

It's just that I saw the Stones "live" in 1969, 72 & 73..

It's like driving a Ferrari, then switching over to a Corvette

the Corvette's nice but...

MLC

Date: June 11, 2009 21:40

<Wonder who's out
there playing gigs at the moment?????>

And he´s not impressing. At least not with the Youtube-stuff that has been presented here. Brilliant as he used to be too...

Date: June 11, 2009 21:43

MLC i understand you, but it`s no use to compete( is that correct?) the Ferrari and the Corvette they are different machines....
And it`s great to see that you are saying that you like the music with Ronnie, sometimes you say that you hated it.
I think that you better sometimes can say that you are disappointed, there is enough hate in the world.
But for me it`s great to discuss with you, i feel a kind of respect for each other without bashing.smileys with beer

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: June 11, 2009 22:04

overrated

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 11, 2009 22:33

squando
First I ever heard of him being offered the gig.

Sounds as usual that Beck is up his own arse. I read he didn't even audition because he was put out at having to wait so long and decided to leave.

Think he just wants to embelish his own hardly nothing career - just like Marianne Faithful does by crapping on about their associations with people that really became super (in the Stones case mega) stars - instead of the insignificant and never spoken of careers like her's and Beck's.

Of course Beck wouldn't have been the perfect choice for the Stones, and I think Beck himself did think so either, but there's no need to slag him off like you do.

And of course Beck was considered by the band. Being the fantastic musician he is, the Stones were very pleased to have a blow with him - that's why they invited him to Rotterdam, doing some recording (a few tracks have survived on bootlegs). But let them just speak for themselves:

"We started auditions and went to Rotterdam, where I met Kenny Clarke, which was the highlight of the whole bloody thing for me, that and playing with Jeff Beck. Jeff would have got the job, I think, but he never turned up again! He came, played an audition, left the next morning and nobody knew he'd gone."

Charlie Watts, taken from "According To The Rolling Stones" p. 175

"In their usual laid back style the Stones just sat around with their feet up playing 12-bar blues. 'I couldn't handle it, because my mind wasn't into that way of doing things. I was working a million miles an hour in comparison to the way they were.' Still bemused he joined his old pal Ian Stewart in the bar. 'He said "I don't know if you realize what's going on, but we're going to be recording." I said "I knew that, let's get on with it." He said, "but on top of that, you prat, they want you to play for real, in the Stones." I thought "Oh boy!" Now this is in no way disrespectful to the Stones, because I really like them, but for the next few hours the sudden realization that I might be a Rolling Stone frightened the hell out of me.' As he went on to lay down some experimental tracks, all the time the thought was preying in his mind that he was going to have to say no. (...) Wondering how to break the news gently, Jeff eventually decided the only solution was to write a note. Essentially it just said 'Sorry lads, I got to go home', Jeff recalled with typical wry humor. 'We slipped it under their door and ran off.'"

Excerpt from Annette Carson's "Jeff Beck - Crazy Fingers", 1998, p. 129-130

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-12 00:10 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2009 22:57

<What do you mean?? Ronnie was an important part of my favourite Stones album Some Girls.>

Enjoy it,no problem with me.
But to my opinion Ron Wood made the Stones a much lesser interesting band to listen to.

Date: June 11, 2009 23:26

Pete - there's a few tunes that I don't care for from the "Wood era" Stones
don't remember me saying I hate them though.. I don't like it where Ronnie or
any of the others slam Mick Taylor in the press, Taylor NEVER put's any of them
down, the only negative he directs at them is the song writing credit situation.

He always praises them as a band or musicians..

MLC

Posted by: nanker's phelge ()
Date: June 11, 2009 23:32

beck is too technical and flashy for a band that never ever had any outstanding musicianship within it

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 12, 2009 02:43

>> a band that never ever had any outstanding musicianship within it <<

Yeah, right yawning smiley thumbs down

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 12, 2009 03:52

StonesFanatic
In addition to Beck, Rory Gallagher and Peter Frampton also auditioned...any of them woulda been better, musically, than Wood...

yeah thats correct the stones have accomplished nothing since woody joined, lol

Date: June 12, 2009 04:10

that may be the most ridiculous comment ever made on this forum

Date: June 12, 2009 05:19

thats why they are not in the hall of fame and grand master flash is lol, must make kiss feel like shite

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 12, 2009 06:20

'This is a life of booze and women. Who needs that?'

i wouldn't mind

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: June 12, 2009 08:03

Beck is just being honest. He wanted to pursue his own music and would definitely not have been a good fit at all not just because of his technical prowess and unique style but also cuz of his strong persona which would have definitey clashed with Keith and Mick. Especially Keith's. Besides at least he can admit to not being able to handle that lifestyle. Not for everyone. Just different goals musically. He is always in my top five guitarists list. Only the numbers change but my top five is always my same top five. He is a legend for diff reasons. Ronnie was the perfect fit for the group at that time. Hell for all time. Taylor was too technical and wanted diff things musically. He made some great music with them but never fit in like Ronnie. Love Jeff for being honest and not trying to be something he wasnt just for the fame and money and women. I admire that shit. As for myself I wouldve jumped right on that Stones wagon and lived a life of debauchery and booze and drugs and women. But thats just me.

Date: June 12, 2009 13:42

svenjagger
Anyone would have been better than Wood musically. He may be the least talented guiarist in a major band.

This I can agree with....

Date: June 12, 2009 13:42

svenjagger
Wood killed the band. It would have been bettr if they kicked him out in 1981. I hate the stupid mugging he does on stage.

Yeah I do, too...but oh well. While the Stones declined musically after Mick T left, they succeeded financially, so I guess that counts for something, right?

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 12, 2009 14:33

"but there's no need to slag him off like you do."

Well I do so because of his arrogance. He reports he turned the Stones down when he was never offered the position. Not only arrongance in that he is trying to embelish a career that should have gone much further than it ever did, but also because of the outright lie.

He claims Page stole every idea that turned out to be Zeppelin's first album - which of course is also crap - and now he touts about telling the world "I turned down the Stones" - which as forementioned is rubbish. The guy just seems to be full of it.

I have no idea how he would have fit in musically but given the size of his ego it's easy to assume he wouldn't have lasted passed the 75 tour had he indeed been asked to join the band. Which of course everyone except for Jeff Beck it would appear knows did not happen.

Date: June 12, 2009 14:35

StonesFanatic
svenjagger
Wood killed the band. It would have been bettr if they kicked him out in 1981. I hate the stupid mugging he does on stage.

Yeah I do, too...but oh well. While the Stones declined musically after Mick T left, they succeeded financially, so I guess that counts for something, right?

Make that '75 svenjagger.

Date: June 12, 2009 14:37

"beck is too technical and flashy for a band that never ever had any outstanding musicianship within it"

Ever heard of a guy named Mick Taylor? If he wasn't (isn't) outstanding then you are impossible to please.

And although I'm a critic of Wood these days, in 1975 he was a superb player. He really is a great talent now laid to waste.

Date: June 12, 2009 14:44

"then go watch KISS and their no-talented asses"

You may dislike their music and even dislike them personally (I think Simmons is a full of himself cockhead) but he is an exceptional bass player, Frehley a superb guitarist and Criss an excellent drummer. Stanley was also a very good singer and a half decent guitarist. Can'r comment on any members other than them cos I lost interset after Unmasked.

They do however qualify as THE worst lyricists in history...."I'm a dancer, a romancer.....I'm a capricorn and she's a cancer".....

Man how bad can lyrics get?

Date: June 12, 2009 14:49

<And although I'm a critic of Wood these days, in 1975 he was a superb player>

Ive seen him live with the Stones in '76, and he was quite disappointing,wish
I could say anything better.

Date: June 12, 2009 14:51

<but he is an exceptional bass player, Frehley a superb guitarist and Criss an excellent drummer. Stanley was also a very good singer and a half decent guitarist.>

Frehley was good, not great. Criss is NOT an excellent drummer. Simmons and Stanley mediocre at best. And btw, I'm a KISS-fan smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home