Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: "Jeff Beck Feared Stones Death"
Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 14, 2009 08:01

The only time I knew of Ronnie to say anything negative about Taylor was that he played too loudly and way out of context in the Kansas '81 gig. And having listened to the boot I agree with him.

Ron was the only if you recall was the person that made sure Taylor was noticed and actually said something @ the RNR Hall of Fame induction. He mentioned him in his (albeit mostly childish) autobio many times and it always came across affectionately.

Where has Ron ever slagged off Taylor?

He even didn't slag Beck off for firing him as a bass player. I'm glad Ron got the job way over that overrated "could have been, should have been - but anyways DIDN'T" Beck.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2009 16:00

squando
The only time I knew of Ronnie to say anything negative about Taylor was that he played too loudly and way out of context in the Kansas '81 gig.

True but wrong:
Ron Wood played as he was told ,Taylor played loud,as a true Rolling Stone should!

Date: June 14, 2009 16:11

"True but wrong"

Man if I've ever avoided stumbling accross the most self important line on this site I've gone smack bang into it now.

The rest of what is written is so silly I'm assuming you haven't hit puberty yet.

Date: June 14, 2009 16:18

Beelyboy
StonesFanatic
Amsterdamned
Agree,however to me in '75 he was a cheap copy of Taylor..
Nothing against Ron as person btw.

Well he wasn't as *good* as Taylor in terms of either playing or tone, but in '75 he was @#$%& VERY good....there is a drop-off in the lead playing after Mick T left, but not a huge one...

I *do* have things against Ron as a person...his lies about the Stones offering him the job in '69, the supposed belief from the early 1960s he'd be in the band, his slagging of Mick T in the press...seems like a prick...

did ron slam taylor in press? that's perverted sense of history, especially since taylor befriended ron early on and taylor helped faciliate ron's introduction into the stones sphere (according to the usually very honest and humble Taylor)
...even recommending him...do you have an excerpt of ron's slagging m. taylor?
or would you please paraphrase what ron said, if it's an accurate quote...much appreciated if anyone would inform me 'bout this, thnx

Did Taylor recommenend Ron Wood for the Stones?LOL
Good revenge for getting not enough creditstongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 14, 2009 16:38

No one ever pays any attention to anything I say....drinking smiley

Date: June 14, 2009 16:53

melillo
woody didnt get the stones job because beck refused, he got the job because the stones wanted him over beck and beck was told thanks but no thanks, who wants his boring ass onstage anyway, he has the personality of a house plant, we are talking about rehearsals that took place in 1975, seems like rock n roll history to me

Better a boring ass playing decent than a joker playing garbage.

Date: June 14, 2009 17:01

Palace Revolution 2000
No one ever pays any attention to anything I say....drinking smiley

Such as (in this case?)

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 15, 2009 06:49

squando
"then go watch KISS and their no-talented asses"

You may dislike their music and even dislike them personally (I think Simmons is a full of himself cockhead) but he is an exceptional bass player, Frehley a superb guitarist and Criss an excellent drummer. Stanley was also a very good singer and a half decent guitarist.

He might be even better if he upgraded his guitar.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 15, 2009 06:55

Beelyboy
did ron slam taylor in press? that's perverted sense of history, especially since taylor befriended ron early on and taylor helped faciliate ron's introduction into the stones sphere (according to the usually very honest and humble Taylor)
...even recommending him...do you have an excerpt of ron's slagging m. taylor?
or would you please paraphrase what ron said, if it's an accurate quote...much appreciated if anyone would inform me 'bout this, thnx

No cite for you, but Wood did claim that he subbed for Taylor because Taylor was too shy. This was around the time Taylor replaced Clapton at a Bluesbreakers performance where Clapton did not show up that night and Taylor offered his services. Mayall was sufficiently impressed he called Taylor a few years later to join the band. Wood's story seems to be nonsense.
There's other junk in According to the Rolling Stones.

As for Beck/Taylor, Taylor has indicated Beck is his favorite living guitarist. (He's repeatedly said that Hendrix was the best.)

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 15, 2009 07:12

Can someone post the interviews, the dates, the periodical, radio show, or whatever the media that Ronnie said things about Mick Taylor, about joining the Stones in 1969, about MT leaving etc. I am not disbelieving this nor believing, but what are the sources referred to here.

Date: June 15, 2009 08:24

"He might be even better if he upgraded his guitar."

LOL

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 15, 2009 09:11

Jeff Beck is just another boring musician...Rory Gallagher could have done something in the band...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 15, 2009 13:59

Palace Revolution 2000
StonesFanatic
Amsterdamned
Agree,however to me in '75 he was a cheap copy of Taylor..
Nothing against Ron as person btw.

Well he wasn't as *good* as Taylor in terms of either playing or tone, but in '75 he was @#$%& VERY good....there is a drop-off in the lead playing after Mick T left, but not a huge one...

I *do* have things against Ron as a person...his lies about the Stones offering him the job in '69, the supposed belief from the early 1960s he'd be in the band, his slagging of Mick T in the press...seems like a prick...

This is just a bizarre row of accusations towards Ron Wood. When does he say he was offered the job in '69? There is the story where he ran into Jagger @ Hyde Park and thought to himself he would be i that and some day. What is wrong with that? And besides it was realistic thinking.
He was also offered the job at an earlier date than '75 but it was turned down though "mis-communications"; that story was told by several Faces.
I don't see him slagging Taylor in the prtess; matter of fact he has always been a gentleman. Plus Taylor and Ron have collaborated on several projects.

I've read in multiple places how Ronnie has claimed the Stones offered him the job in '69 but he said no because he was busy doing other things (Rod Stewart, maybe?) so they went with Taylor...dunno if it's true but I've seen it repeatedly over the years...

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 15, 2009 15:39

well, i think woody fitted in perfectly, and i am glad they did not get someone else

Date: June 15, 2009 15:41

Smokey
squando
"then go watch KISS and their no-talented asses"

You may dislike their music and even dislike them personally (I think Simmons is a full of himself cockhead) but he is an exceptional bass player, Frehley a superb guitarist and Criss an excellent drummer. Stanley was also a very good singer and a half decent guitarist.

He might be even better if he upgraded his guitar.

LOLZ

That picture is just BEGGING for someone to put a funny caption on it...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 15, 2009 15:57

How does a thread called "Jeff Beck Feared Stones Death" turn into a MT V RW debate again?????

Date: June 15, 2009 16:09

ablett
How does a thread called "Jeff Beck Feared Stones Death" turn into a MT V RW debate again?????

LOLZ

BAck on topic, was Beck right? Would he have died had he joined the Stones? I don't think so...Keith and Ronnie are still here, as horrid-looking as they are because of it nonwithstanding...

Date: June 15, 2009 18:04

squando
"True but wrong"

Man if I've ever avoided stumbling accross the most self important line on this site I've gone smack bang into it now.

The rest of what is written is so silly I'm assuming you haven't hit puberty yet.

You must have missed the Taylor area.Iv seen the Stones live with MT and Iv seen
them live with Wood,both times in the front line .The difference was huge;even a person who hasn't reached puberty could confirm that!!

Date: June 15, 2009 18:51

"You must have missed the Taylor area.Iv seen the Stones live with MT and Iv seen
them live with Wood,both times in the front line .The difference was huge;even a person who hasn't reached puberty could confirm that!!"

Each to your own cocker! Some like the MT era, some like the RW era, some even like the BJ era! People with an open view EVEN like all three.

Just dont keep ramming your blinkered view down people throats.....

Date: June 15, 2009 19:01

<People with an open view EVEN like all three.>confused smiley
That's an interesting statement.

BTW I was too young to see the BJ area life..

Date: June 15, 2009 19:12

"BTW I was too young to see the BJ area life..'

The "BJ area life" sounds like some dodgy common for old men in Macs????

Date: June 15, 2009 19:23

<The "BJ area life" sounds like some dodgy common for old men in Macs????>

Cannot translate your remark exactly but I sure like BJ area,that makes it 2.

Date: June 15, 2009 19:31

ablett
"BTW I was too young to see the BJ area life..'

The "BJ area life" sounds like some dodgy common for old men in Macs????

LOLZ

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 15, 2009 19:45

I love Jeff Beck, but he and the Stones would have been a train wreck, wouldn't have lasted more than a tour. I suppose Jeff was about to do a couple of good records with George Martin, but a lot after Wired was just dross imo - tho seeing him live 3 or 4 years back made me realize how astonishing he can be, still. Like Taylor Beck is not a songwriter or leader or producer, he needs a band - and he maybe didnt see a great one (Waller, Hopkins, Wood, Stewart) when he's in it.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home