Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: "Jeff Beck Feared Stones Death"
Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 12, 2009 14:52

squando
"beck is too technical and flashy for a band that never ever had any outstanding musicianship within it"

Ever heard of a guy named Mick Taylor? If he wasn't (isn't) outstanding then you are impossible to please.

And although I'm a critic of Wood these days, in 1975 he was a superb player. He really is a great talent now laid to waste.

I agree, while he was never as good as Taylor, his playing on the '75 tour was pretty @#$%& excellent...a more than admirable fill-in for Mick T. It's making him a permanent member that I think was the big goof...

Date: June 12, 2009 14:53

Amsterdamned
StonesFanatic
svenjagger
Wood killed the band. It would have been bettr if they kicked him out in 1981. I hate the stupid mugging he does on stage.

Yeah I do, too...but oh well. While the Stones declined musically after Mick T left, they succeeded financially, so I guess that counts for something, right?

Make that '75 svenjagger.

Yep...I think had they just used him as a fill-in in '75 and then gone with someone else they could have gone on to bigger and better things, musically...maybe the bank accounts wouldn't be there, but what are they in it for, then?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2009 14:58

Agree,however to me in '75 he was a cheap copy of Taylor..
Nothing against Ron as person btw.

Date: June 12, 2009 15:01

Amsterdamned

Well he wasn't as *good* as Taylor in terms of either playing or tone, but in '75 he was @#$%& VERY good....there is a drop-off in the lead playing after Mick T left, but not a huge one...

I *do* have things against Ron as a person...his lies about the Stones offering him the job in '69, the supposed belief from the early 1960s he'd be in the band, his slagging of Mick T in the press...seems like a prick...

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 12, 2009 15:15

Hi DP

"Criss is NOT an excellent drummer. Simmons and Stanley mediocre at best."

Well I disagree. I'm a muso and play bass, drums and guit and Simmons and Criss in my book are very talented. Stanley I agree was not as gifted but still was no mug.

Simmon's had some excellent bass lines and I've seen Frehley tear up the axe from front row and I tell you that guy can play - esp for a pisshead!

Criss is no Bonham but he ain't no hack either.

And if you wanna hear mediocrity at it's finest re bass playing just listen to any U2 album...

and StonesFanatic re "It's making him a permanent member that I think was the big goof..."

Yeah I dunno. Some Girls although very much a Mick album was as good as it is I feel in large part because of Ronnie. Beyond that I don't know really. I don't know who would have been a good pick. Maybe another unknown like Taylor may have been a better idea.

I cannot for the life of me think why they bothered with people like Clapton and Beck knowing these guys would never have fit. And this crap I hear from time to time re Page wanting to join....well who wouldn't wanna leave being the boss of the biggest band in the world to become a second fiddle player to the second biggest band in the world?

So much rubbish written about the "great guitarist hunt" it's hard to know what is true most of the time. And the Stones themselves are probably the worst source to listen to.

Date: June 12, 2009 15:19

^I agree there is NO WAY Page would have left Zeppelin, who OWNED the 1970s, to join the Stones...no @#$%& way...

Clapton had a history of souring on successful groups rather quickly (Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, Derek and the Dominoes) and seems content to have a nomadic musical existence, so he wouldn't have worked. And Beck is an ego-maniac...no way.

Not sure who they could have gotten...they were all ready to make an offer to either Perkins or Mandell after the Black and Blue sessions, but decided they had to keep the Stones an "all-English" group...which I think was a dumb move...

Date: June 12, 2009 15:27

StonesFanatic
Amsterdamned

Well he wasn't as *good* as Taylor in terms of either playing or tone, but in '75 he was @#$%& VERY good....there is a drop-off in the lead playing after Mick T left, but not a huge one...

I *do* have things against Ron as a person...his lies about the Stones offering him the job in '69, the supposed belief from the early 1960s he'd be in the band, his slagging of Mick T in the press...seems like a prick...

Don't worry,Taylor is too much of a gentleman to bother.

Date: June 12, 2009 15:29

^Well that certainly seems to be the case...I've never read/heard a bad word he's had to say about the whole situation...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 12, 2009 15:50

I saw - somewhat recent - a KISS show from Detroit, I think it was, outside by the river. Was watching the live broadcast. The drummer stank the gig up big time. He's still stuck in 'I'm gonna hit every roto tom and tom tom I can on this next change' kind of playing.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 13, 2009 02:17

Guitar legend Jeff Beck is grateful he turned down an invitation to join The Rolling Stones - because he would have died an early death if he had partied alongside Sir Mick Jagger.

The rocker auditioned to become part of the band after former Stone Mick Taylor bowed out in the 1970s.

Beck insists he was tempted to join the Satisfaction group - but he was turned off by their rock 'n' roll lifestyle of excess.

And he believes the decision to turn away from drinking and sex to concentrate on his music saved his life.

He explains, "I had this flash that said, 'Don't do it, you'll never get on with Mick and Keith musically because you're heading in a different direction'. There's the thing. There's the crossroads.

"If I'd turned left I'd have been a multi-millionaire Rolling Stone - and dead. On the right I'm here, thank you. Not that I wouldn't want to experience some of the things that went on with them but I was into speed and detail and gung-ho playing - and the way they were drinking I just don't think it would have worked.

"I thought, 'This is a life of booze and women. Who needs that?' So I caught the next plane out."

[www.postchronicle.com]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 13, 2009 04:27

the fact is he got beat out by wood and was never asked to join and was told to go home, in other words he failed the audition

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-13 04:34 by melillo.

Posted by: nanker's phelge ()
Date: June 13, 2009 05:01

mick taylor isn't even in the same bowling leauge as jeff beck
sorry but thats how i see it
beck is a virtuoso
taylor is a great bluesman with a real pedigree and a sweet touch but kind of unmemorable in the big picture

i am a huge stones fan..but honestly they are average musicians at best...and they would be the first to tell you that the sum is greater than the individual players

beck is correct...wyman and watts had very little funk in them
its there but not very often
hot stuff,miss you[more disco really]
the end of cyhmk but really the stones are funky as hell in their own bad boy british way just not funky like james brown or bernard purdie,etc etc

Date: June 13, 2009 05:42

who is beck to put down the stones? he is not even on the same planet as the stones in rock n roll history, its not even an issue

Date: June 13, 2009 13:07

melillo
who is beck to put down the stones? he is not even on the same planet as the stones in rock n roll history, its not even an issue

Musically spoken: who are the RS to put Beck down,they are not even on the same planet either.Mick Jagger asked Beck for a live tour in the 8-tees,and he said "no".
He doesn't need him or the Stones.
They carried on with Ron Wood.confused smiley

Rock history is not the issue here.

Date: June 13, 2009 15:31

woody didnt get the stones job because beck refused, he got the job because the stones wanted him over beck and beck was told thanks but no thanks, who wants his boring ass onstage anyway, he has the personality of a house plant, we are talking about rehearsals that took place in 1975, seems like rock n roll history to me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-13 15:59 by melillo.

Date: June 13, 2009 16:11

Beck turned Jagger down cos of money. Obviously he ain't worth what he thinks he is. I saw that (sold out btw tour) and Satriani was just fine. So was Ripp even though his Keithism's pissed me off - his playing was spot on in that sold out (without Jeff Beck cos no-one gave a toss whether he was there or not) tour Of Japan and Oz.

And who in the Stones put Beck down?

"mick taylor isn't even in the same bowling leauge as jeff beck"

That maybe so. However in a guitar playing league Taylor is in the majors and Beck the minors.

"taylor is a great bluesman with a real pedigree and a sweet touch but kind of unmemorable in the big picture"

And what is the big picture? Taylor was amember of the second biggest group in history anmd a great contributor to it. What did Beck ever do?

Oh that's right, he was responsible for Zeppelin and turned down the Stones....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 13, 2009 16:15

squando
Beck turned Jagger down cos of money. Obviously he ain't worth what he thinks he is.

Perhaps Beck is worth what he thinks he is.
Beck has done pretty well on his own, and we all know how tight Jagger can be.

Date: June 13, 2009 16:19

how can people argue for beck? he cant sing and he cant write songs, two pretty important things in the music industry dont u think?

Date: June 13, 2009 16:22

"Perhaps Beck is worth what he thinks he is.
Beck has done pretty well on his own, and we all know how tight Jagger can be."

Well Jagger knew that anybody could fill the shoes of his solo gear and there are so many Keith wannabes that Beck was certainly not needed.

I agree Mick can be and from what I hear is a tightwad but Beck would have known this surely. Either way Beck seems to not realise that he is not a household name nor a rock star worth squillions and I think he feels that he should be.

I'm glad he didn't get the gig - it would have been a transient disaster imo - although none of us will ever really know.

Date: June 13, 2009 16:24

StonesFanatic
Amsterdamned

This is just a bizarre row of accusations towards Ron Wood. When does he say he was offered the job in '69? There is the story where he ran into Jagger @ Hyde Park and thought to himself he would be i that and some day. What is wrong with that? And besides it was realistic thinking.
He was also offered the job at an earlier date than '75 but it was turned down though "mis-communications"; that story was told by several Faces.
I don't see him slagging Taylor in the prtess; matter of fact he has always been a gentleman. Plus Taylor and Ron have collaborated on several projects.

Date: June 13, 2009 16:24

even taylor writes and sings better than beck, so that should really tell you something right there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-13 16:26 by melillo.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: June 13, 2009 16:26

While I respect Beck's technical skills in stuff like Over Under Sideways Down or later jazzy stuff, I have never once listened and said to myself, "wow, that's beautful." With Taylor, that happens all the time.

Beck also recently said he would have joined Pink Floyd in 1968 had he been asked, another preposterous notion.

Date: June 13, 2009 16:32

melillo
even taylor writes and sings better than beck, so that should really tell you something right there

They are both great musicians!smileys with beer

Date: June 13, 2009 16:36

melillo
how can people argue for beck? he cant sing and he cant write songs, two pretty important things in the music industry dont u think?

Interpretation of songs is also a quality: if you don't like this....:

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 13, 2009 17:51

StonesFanatic
whitem8
Frampton better than Wood? That is ridiculous.

Listen to his work with Humble Pie and early solo stuff and then get back to me...

Some of Frampton's best work is on an album most Frampton fans have never heard: John Entwistle's 1972 solo album "Whistle Rhymes".

Date: June 13, 2009 19:05

I'm a huge Who fan Tatters. Is "Whistle rhymes" any good?
I have heard many times that Daltrey's solo work is outstanding. Been meaning to get to it just never have.

Posted by: Han ()
Date: June 13, 2009 22:42

Beck also recently said he would have joined Pink Floyd in 1968 had he been asked, another preposterous notion.

Well, according to PF, they wanted to ask him but were too scared....
scared of his talent, that is. Of course Roger Waters roped him in later, but then some people are scared of him.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 13, 2009 23:13

squando
I'm a huge Who fan Tatters. Is "Whistle rhymes" any good?
I have heard many times that Daltrey's solo work is outstanding. Been meaning to get to it just never have.

Whistle Rhymes and John's first album, Smash Your Head Against The Wall are both very good. There's also a compilation called Thunderfingers that includes almost every song on Whistle Rhymes. I wouldn't agree that Daltrey's solo work is all that outstanding. There's a best-of CD that is definitely worthwhile, but I don't think anyone needs to dig any deeper than that.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 13, 2009 23:53

slasausjes
So if he didn't want to join, why did he audition then?

Beff Jack

mebbe he just feeling things out. hard (and stupid) to miss a chance to check out the stones as one of their guitarists!! and see if you thought that it might work?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 13, 2009 23:56

StonesFanatic
Amsterdamned

did ron slam taylor in press? that's perverted sense of history, especially since taylor befriended ron early on and taylor helped faciliate ron's introduction into the stones sphere (according to the usually very honest and humble Taylor)
...even recommending him...do you have an excerpt of ron's slagging m. taylor?
or would you please paraphrase what ron said, if it's an accurate quote...much appreciated if anyone would inform me 'bout this, thnx

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home