Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Playing "Exile" beginning to end on the rumoured 2010 Tour?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 9, 2009 20:24

The stones have always suprised people throught their carreer. the question is : Do they have one more suprised left in them?

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: June 9, 2009 20:36

If they can't perform Exile songs well enough then they shouldn't tour at all.We are not talking about some amateur pub band.They are pros and they are deemed the greatest live band in the world by many folks.If they lost it and can't do their stuff competently enough then the only thing they could do is retire.I saw them twice on the last tour and they performed way better than many younger bands despite having some difficulties in some spots.If they can maintain that level of performance they there is no reason why they shouldn't play Exile in its entirety, at least from the artistic point of view.Given that a lot of money is involved they may not see it as lucrative enough to begin with.That's why this is not so likely to happen.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 9, 2009 20:45

One thing found interesting about the Stones performing Exile live is the fact that the song order would not have to be altered. Another amazing aspect of this great compilation of music.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 9, 2009 21:01

As much as l would love for the band to do an Exile tour it won't happen,by the end of the last tour,Keith could hardly play Satisfaction so no way they will play anything but warhorses with backing by prerecorded tracks and a whole bunch of backing musicians to cover up for Keith and even Ronnie.If there is a tour it will be aqn oldies tour,a Vegas act....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: June 9, 2009 21:38

It would be fantstic to see them performing their masterpiece, but as it was mentioned before: They can't do it anymore - especially Keith.
Be happy to see them on the road agin, but don't expect to much. Let them play what they want and don't miss the opportunity to say them goodbye.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 9, 2009 21:52

Definitely don't see Mick patient enough to sing "I Just Wanna See His Face" or "Soul Survivor."

IF they go back on the road...you can expect "You Got Me Rockin" and "Honky Tonk Woman"

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 9, 2009 21:54

ROPENI
As much as l would love for the band to do an Exile tour it won't happen,by the end of the last tour,Keith could hardly play Satisfaction so no way they will play anything but warhorses with backing by prerecorded tracks and a whole bunch of backing musicians to cover up for Keith and even Ronnie.If there is a tour it will be aqn oldies tour,a Vegas act....

Sadly you are 100% correct...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 9, 2009 23:42

"Rocks off" would make a rocking opener!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 10, 2009 00:25

Gazza
mr edward

Exile was never one of their biggest selling records, and Mick doesnt even like it that much. There's as much chance of the Stones performing that album in full as there is of Brian Jones rejoining the band on the next tour.

Brian might come back next year!?!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 10, 2009 00:30

they could do it but they wont, they are all about the money and thats that

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 10, 2009 01:39

As much as I like Exile there are some songs on there I don't want to see them play live - Tumbling Dice and happy come to mind!

Date: June 10, 2009 02:58

it should be mandatory to leave those 2 off the set

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 10, 2009 04:54

Edith Grove
mr edward
What are the chances of the Stones again touring without new material?

Very good.
Really? On what do you base this statement? The last few tours do not do much to substantiate your claim...

Date: June 10, 2009 05:28

you call those four throwaway songs on 40 licks new material? 3 of them were garbage and one was borderline garbage

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: June 10, 2009 05:37

Still remember at the OKC show in '03 (when they played Loving Cup, Sweet Virginia, and Rocks Off) how I got looked at by about half my section when I freaked as soon as I saw the cover fall into place on the video screen about two seconds before Mick announced which album they were highlighting. Then again, they didn't know Monkey Man or Live With Me either. Oh well, I got about 30 seconds of Mick's attention during Rocks Off since I was the only one singing on the section in front of the left catwalk. Ha!

Posted by: J8ste ()
Date: June 10, 2009 05:39

marquess
socialdistortion
Doing an album is the new "in thing".

Van Morrison
The Cult
Aero
Steely Dan - 1 diffrent album each night

Louu Reed: Berlin (played all together in his last tour)

Roger Waters - Dark Side Of The Moon
David Gilmour - On An Island
The Who - Endless Wire (Most Nights Every Song) [Not In Order For The Non - Rock Opera Tracks]

Date: June 10, 2009 05:46

melillo
they could do it but they wont, they are all about the money and thats that

There's enough real fans to sell out every night of the tour. And would it be bad to not have to spend two hours sandwiched between drunk fat guys (if it didn't sell out).

Just a thought...

Date: June 10, 2009 05:48

yeah but they wont settle for 100 million when they can settle for 450 million

Date: June 10, 2009 05:55

melillo

Raise the ticket prices or play small venues every night. Or have a tour and play the entire album once or twice. Then release it in the Twenty Ten Kicks DVD Boxed Set. And put all of Exile on except for the only ever performances of 'Turd On The Run' and 'Soul Survivor', because we have to see Mick shake his ass during Honky Tonk Women and Jumpin' Jack Flash so we have to include those instead

Date: June 10, 2009 05:55

melillo

Raise the ticket prices or play small venues every night. Or have a tour and play the entire album once or twice. Then release it in the Twenty Ten Kicks DVD Boxed Set. And put all of Exile on except for the only ever performances of 'Turd On The Run' and 'Soul Survivor', because we have to see Mick shake his ass during Honky Tonk Women and Jumpin' Jack Flash so we have to include those instead.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 10, 2009 07:06

ChrisM
Edith Grove
mr edward

Very good.
Really? On what do you base this statement? The last few tours do not do much to substantiate your claim...

You mean the fact that they played maybe 2 new songs a night is evidence that they will strongly support some new endeavour?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 10, 2009 08:32

hbwriter
they should do a massive stage recreation of Nellcote and hire all remaining original players to do Exile (sorry Ronnie)

hire Robert Frank to photograph/film it

let Anita/Marlon wander around the stage as they do the show - return to all relationships of the era, Bianca, etc.

that i'd pay for - stage seat even smiling smiley

also add this: re-enactment some of the scenes on the plane from Cksuker Blues

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 10, 2009 08:45

the stones wouldn't even think about doing side 3 of exile. and bands back as far as Who (tommy, quad) and especially floyd '73-80 (dark side, wish, animals, wall) have done the album live during a show thing. i think it's cool that alot of bands do it now, but the stones couldn't do any of their records except maybe LIB, SF or SG, and they would need an extra guitarist.

come to think of it, there was a 'young' band once who actually played 8/10 of SG every gig during a '78 tour right as it was released...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 10, 2009 10:22

I wouldn't want them to do it - Exile is as much about atmosphere and feel as the effectiveness of the songs themselves. Taken out of the environment they were recorded the songs would just sound extremely self indulgent. Not to mention the fact the Stones lost their abrasive edge years ago - can you really envisage Jagger singing Let It Loose these days with those awful flat vocals.

Date: June 10, 2009 10:39

<Doing an album is the new "in thing".

Van Morrison
The Cult
Aero
Steely Dan - 1 diffrent album each night

Lou Reed: Berlin (played all together in his last tour)>

Which album did The Cult do?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 10, 2009 10:52

hbwriter
they should do a massive stage recreation of Nellcote and hire all remaining original players to do Exile (sorry Ronnie)

hire Robert Frank to photograph/film it

let Anita/Marlon wander around the stage as they do the show - return to all relationships of the era, Bianca, etc.

that i'd pay for - stage seat even smiling smiley

VIVA LAS VEGAS

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 10, 2009 12:58

Of course they could tour behind EXILE and play their regular "Tumblin' Dice" and "All Down The Line", plus "Rocks Off", "Rip This Joint" and "Shine A Light" occasionally. That would be about equal how they tour "behind" A BIGGER BANG...

- Doxa

Date: June 10, 2009 13:43

sweetcharmedlife
ChrisM
Edith Grove
mr edward

Very good.

You mean the fact that they played maybe 2 new songs a night is evidence that they will strongly support some new endeavour?

No shit...

Date: June 10, 2009 13:44

The other thing is there is no way that the live versions of Exile tunes now could ever compete with the definitive live versions from '72-'73...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 10, 2009 14:05

ChrisM
Edith Grove
mr edward

Very good.

Pure speculation.

I believe the Stones can put on a successful tour without releasing any new material at all.
Forty Licks came close to that, with just a couple of new tunes on another "greatest hits" release.

I've also speculated recently that the Stones could already have another release in the can.

My point is, I think the Stones do a pretty good job of "flying under the radar" when they think they need to.
They keep their circle pretty tightly controlled, and they have the luxury of nearly total control, at least where it comes to new releases and tours.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home