Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Is Let's Work the best album ever?!
Posted by: leahfoxx ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:08

Just joking...it's the weekend so thought I'd have a laugh...actually I have just recently heard this CD for the first time...and how about that video for the title track...I love Mick but really how did he let this happen?

Re: Is Let's Work the best album ever?!
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:12

The 80's was not easy for any of us. And I grew up in the middle of all that.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:19

I don't remember that album actually.

Date: May 22, 2009 15:22

Hearing what came out of there(80's) I know you're right Doxa...but listening to that compared to Keith's...it's pretty shocking...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:23

It didn't happen. Although there are actually some people on here who consider this stuff a career highpoint.

Posted by: orson ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:30

it is not as that bad

Date: May 22, 2009 15:31

The CD seems to be out of print...but I see he did include the "Let's Work" track on his BEST of CD!

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:31

80s were great in their way actually, imo you just dont need to compare them to the 60s or the 70s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 15:32 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:36

Gazza
It didn't happen. Although there are actually some people on here who consider this stuff a career highpoint.

Well, in a way I understand them. I think the album PRIMITIVE COOL - if we now agree that it is the album we refer here - might be the last time as Jagger as a creative artist who has his muse still there. I don't think Jagger has put any of his records ever since as much creative energy as he did into this one. He even learned to sing in a new, professional way. It is is sad that his intuitions and intentions didn't match with up with almost anyone, especially within The Stones fans. But if they would have, there would have not been The Rolling Stones anymore.

I am quite sure that the commercial failure of PRIMITIVE COOL, and the relative uninterest for his finally cancelled solo tour in USA, is Jagger's biggest disappointment in his whole career. To an ego of his size that might have hurt...

- Doxa

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:37

farawayeyes2
80s were great in their way actually, imo you just dont need to compare them to the 60s or the 70s

Right, and in 82 was my first Stones show...a decade canĀ“t be blamed for a
weak solo album of MJ.

But it seems to be a tough one for Doxa. winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:41

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 15:42 by Rockman.

Date: May 22, 2009 15:43

Now you've done it! You've given Terry an ellipsis attack. Those rotten bastards.

Date: May 22, 2009 15:45

Thanks for your insight and for the correct album title Doxa. That he did the video for "Let's Work" for some reason made me forget the correct title. As always your comments seem right on...I think She's The Boss(which I thought was had some very amusing songs) had done fairly well and as you said Mick probably had high hopes for Primitive Cool which if happened could have been the end of the Stones...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:48

"Let's work" the song isn't great at all. At the beginning of is "official" solo career, Mick decided to go "pop" and I think it is embarrasing in regard of what he did with the Rolling Stones in the 60's and 70's. But that was Mick in the 80's.He is really a man with different tastes and (we have been told) personalities. It is shocking that Mick wrote and sang a fantastic song like "Memo from Turner"and the same guy releases a stupid song like"let's work".
Mick probably likes both songs.
Rockand Roll,
Mops

Date: May 22, 2009 15:48

Eeeeerrr no no Rocky ...
Was going to correct title of album but Doxa was already there ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 22, 2009 15:50

leahfoxx
The CD seems to be out of print...but I see he did include the "Let's Work" track on his BEST of CD!
She's The Boss & Primitive Cool are on Atlantic Records now (like Mick's later solo stuff). They should be still available.

Date: May 22, 2009 15:55

Keith should knock out a reggae cut of Let's Work with Sly & Robbie ....True!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:02

It's really a shame - a HUGE shame - when the B-side is an actual song yet alone a shit ton better than the single.

Let's Work is THE worst Stones affiliated song EVER. Jagger should be embarrassed about it. Where was the quality control? To go from One Hit (To The Body) to Let's Work? I partially blame what's 'is face, Dave Stewart. But it's the - it's beyond the lowest point in Stones history yet alone solo history.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:06

Rockman
Keith should knock out a reggae cut of Let's Work with Sly & Robbie ....True!!

smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer

Posted by: mryapp ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:42

skipstone
It's really a shame - a HUGE shame - when the B-side is an actual song yet alone a shit ton better than the single.

Let's Work is THE worst Stones affiliated song EVER. Jagger should be embarrassed about it. Where was the quality control? To go from One Hit (To The Body) to Let's Work? I partially blame what's 'is face, Dave Stewart. But it's the - it's beyond the lowest point in Stones history yet alone solo history.

That would be Between The Buttons wouldn't it?

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:47

It was so hard defending the Stones in the 80s with Mick's antics.

Date: May 22, 2009 16:52

Nah, Satanic Majesties is worse than Buttons.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:04

....tough to defend "Something Happened to Me Yesterday"....

Date: May 22, 2009 17:14

"Something Happened To Me Yesterday" is similar to "Let's Work" in that they are not really representational of their parent albums. They're easy to poke fun at for their excesses, but they're not really anything more than concessions to the times. Sometimes that has worked well for Mick and sometimes not. I rank PRIMITIVE COOL higher than SHE'S THE BOSS or DIRTY WORK despite the inclusion of "Let's Work." I would love to hear that track before Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero prepared their remix. The original track cut by Dave Stewart and Ed Stasium would definitely be an improvement even if it would never be a classic with those lyrics. There's a very Stones-ish guitar riff that Mick plays at the beginning of the song that gets completely lost thereafter. The situation is not dissimilar to "Might As Well Get Juiced" or even "Anybody Seen My Baby?" where the Dust Brothers' production work on the former and sampling on the latter truly injure the quality of the songs.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:18

leahfoxx
... but really how did he let this happen?

terrible song....and what makes it worse is that Mick and those that
helped him put the album together thought LET'S WORK should be released
as a single (& made a video etc...). Too many yes men...and nobody
to tell him that his shit stank.

at least it was just a shitty song. could've been worse.
Elvis had too many yes-men...afraid to set him straight at the end. confused smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 17:20 by sweet neo con.

Date: May 22, 2009 17:24

Mick insisted on continuing to jump the shark over and over with She's The Boss and Primitive Cool songs like Turn The Girl Loose, the title track, Let's Work, Radio Control, that title track and War Baby.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:24

At least Something Happened . . . is funny. It's not AWFUL like Let's Work, or, say, Hold Back.

Besides, I like both BTB and SMR. The UC-DW period was much worse and the horror of much of Primitive Cool sunk it even lower.

Date: May 22, 2009 17:25

<He even learned to sing in a new, professional way.>

I think he did that before the 81 US tour already.

Date: May 22, 2009 17:27

What exactly is or was Mick's learning of singing a new professional way? I have never heard anything different. Just more falsetto.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:28

skipstone
Mick insisted on continuing to jump the shark over and over with She's The Boss and Primitive Cool songs like Turn The Girl Loose, the title track, Let's Work, Radio Control, that title track and War Baby.

I actually liked TURN THE GIRL LOOSE & RADIO CONTROL.
Am I in the minority? winking smiley If so...so be it. Guilty pleasures.

But I knew LET'S WORK was rubbish from the second I heard it.

Re: Something Happened...

It seems that at least that song was intended to be quirky.
LET'S WORK sounds like Mick's attempt to get played in Aerobics Classes!
Or would that be LET'S WORK-OUT?

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 17:30 by sweet neo con.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home