Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: How Well Are The UMG Remasters Selling?
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 19, 2009 15:13

StonesFanatic
ghostryder13
i think most people are satisfied with the sound quality of the virgin remasters. these are hard times and most people will not spend money on something they already have.

Agreed, the Virgin remasters sound fine to me....I am tired of re-buying stuff from my favorite classic rock bands over and over so I don't unless there is something new released with it...

hmm,
OK, you are all totally fed up with Stones-CDs, but nobody will force you to buy some more.

But there are plenty of very hungry people in this world, starving. Why don't give them something to eat only because you had eaten enough and don't want another steak no more?

And there are so much (younger) people in this word who don't have any Stones-CDs by now. Let those men and women buy this new CDs remastered by UMC (there are only second-hand Virgin in stores now!), perhaps they will become fans like you, too ...

Sometime

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-19 15:24 by HighwireC.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: May 19, 2009 15:38

Your food analogy doesn't work...we don't have EXCESS CDs, we already have one (or more) and don't want to BUY another...

But I digress...I simply choose not to buy them...simple as that!

Posted by: maddog87 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 15:51

Just wanted to put in a good word for censoring "Star Star." As a gay man (who just picked up his first copy of GHS last night) I'll take "now that's what I call obscene" over "pussy clean" any day of the week.

I would probably faint or get the vapours if I heard the original.

Date: May 19, 2009 15:56

It would bother you that much? It's a song about a FEMALE groupie, after all...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2009 15:59

AC/DC's back catalogue sells quite well.

I know Hot Rocks sells pretty good.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:01

maddog87
Just wanted to put in a good word for censoring "Star Star." As a gay man (who just picked up his first copy of GHS last night) I'll take "now that's what I call obscene" over "pussy clean" any day of the week.

LOL! don't be such a pussy winking smiley

Date: May 19, 2009 16:03

Ah yes, the original is so disgusting...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:07

I think the four CDs sold a total of about 17 copies. All of them to people who post on IORR. Hell, there's people on here who have talked about them AT LENGTH that didn't even buy them!

Date: May 19, 2009 16:08

Like me.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:11

skipstone
Like me.

Right. JUST like you.

Date: May 19, 2009 16:17

Female groupies can be a priggish bunch. They are probably happy to have the cleaned up version of "@#$%&" as well. That may have been Unvisersals plan all along. First time gay record buyers and female groupies angry over the original version. GHS will probably crack the top 200 in todays record buying market.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:18

I'm one of them, Tatters. I listened to them and decided not to buy them.

Date: May 19, 2009 16:20

maddog87

Female groupies can be a priggish bunch. They are probably happy to have the cleaned up version of "@#$%&" as well. That may have been Unvisersals plan all along. First time gay record buyers and female groupies angry over the original version. GHS will probably crack the top 200 in todays record buying market.

BAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:32

Muppet HiFi
i was gonna say...

why so many copies of 40 Licks? (or is that Live Licks hahahahahaha!)

Why do some people have so many fan club caps and extra copies of Licks? If you were around in 2002-2003 and were looking for great seats for shows then may be you would have an idea about that.

I do have each and every original album release on vinyl original production. And I have each and every CD release as they came out when the CD player came to the market, plus each and every CD released after that from their back-catalogue. But the content on the Cd is simply files, computer data. For me that is something not original. In this computer age all I need is a disc and on that big disc I have all the music I want. One day this will be available. I don't need 20 different "remaster" packaging products with the music I do already have in original...

Bjornulf

Date: May 19, 2009 17:15

I'm a newbie buying the albums for the first time brickwalled, censored bad packaging and all but I never fall for the greatest hits packages like 40 Licks. No thanks. That's what file sharing is for. Actually my favorite Stones albums after Banquet, Exile and SF are the Bigs Hits 1 and 2 from ABKCO...sound great with awesome album covers. I think Hots Rocks is a rip off too. Nothing Special.

Where can I get my medal or badge for not buying 40 Licks? I'm available for speaker bookings and fan conventions to present my "why I will never buy 40 Licks" speech.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-19 17:16 by maddog87.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 19, 2009 17:22

Lorenz
maddog87

LOL! don't be such a pussy winking smiley

..now that's funny.

Date: May 19, 2009 18:11

maddog87
I'm a newbie buying the albums for the first time brickwalled, censored bad packaging and all but I never fall for the greatest hits packages like 40 Licks. No thanks. That's what file sharing is for. Actually my favorite Stones albums after Banquet, Exile and SF are the Bigs Hits 1 and 2 from ABKCO...sound great with awesome album covers. I think Hots Rocks is a rip off too. Nothing Special.

Where can I get my medal or badge for not buying 40 Licks? I'm available for speaker bookings and fan conventions to present my "why I will never buy 40 Licks" speech.

I'm another fellow non-Licks buyer. Hell I don't own anything released after IORR!

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 19, 2009 18:23

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,368 in Music

Date: May 19, 2009 18:29

rogerriffin
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,368 in Music

Damn that's great! HAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 19, 2009 18:31

practically certified copper...or is it zinc?

Date: May 19, 2009 18:45

Certified Tungsten!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 19, 2009 21:19

bv
Muppet HiFi
i was gonna say...

why so many copies of 40 Licks? (or is that Live Licks hahahahahaha!)

Why do some people have so many fan club caps and extra copies of Licks? If you were around in 2002-2003 and were looking for great seats for shows then may be you would have an idea about that.

I do have each and every original album release on vinyl original production. And I have each and every CD release as they came out when the CD player came to the market, plus each and every CD released after that from their back-catalogue. But the content on the Cd is simply files, computer data. For me that is something not original. In this computer age all I need is a disc and on that big disc I have all the music I want. One day this will be available. I don't need 20 different "remaster" packaging products with the music I do already have in original...

BV -- traitorous, disloyal, AND criticising the Stones for the SECOND time in ONE WEEK!!

What, pray tell, has gone wrong with the world??!!

the plexi-man

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 19, 2009 21:54

Does anyone know how the last ABKCO repackages of some years ago sold?
I seem to recall there was a bit of a marketing push behind the releases.
Even one of the Kleins subjected himself to a round of PR interviews, I recall.
Which is more than be said of the Universal crowd.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 19, 2009 21:57

As I recall, a few of the 2002 ABKCO Remasters appeared in the Billboard Catalog chart which is an indicator of decent enough initial sales. Truth be told, the Stones back catalog has never been a huge seller compared to other artists of their stature. You're pretty much limited to Hot Rocks, Forty Licks, and Jump Back showing any real chart longevity.

Date: May 19, 2009 22:45

Black and Blue has sold at least one copy.

Date: May 19, 2009 23:26

I bought the UMG Black and Blue last night (literally) so I guess that would be the one copy.

I'm from the school of "pick an obscure, unloved album/song from a bands catalog, convince yourself you've discovered something no one else heard in the album/song and that you in fact LOVE it. Next scream from the highest mountain top for all to hear that the album/song is in fact THE BEST THING THE BAND HAS EVER DONE and you have me to thank for enlightening everyone."

And you Sir Craven of Cottage are a classic rock Neanderthal for not appreciating the disco and reggae rhythms of the Stones overlooked MASTERPEICE BLACK AND BLUE!!! What to the untrained eye appears unfocused and jammy is in fact the most perfect recording in rock and roll history....

No need to thank me.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 19, 2009 23:48

"these are hard times and most people will not spend money on something they already have."
True but make that "these are hard times and most people will not spend money on something [worse than what] they already have." winking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 20, 2009 00:00

I do not criticise the Stones i.e. Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie actually, but if there was a reason for it I would have no problem doing so. Uusually they have hired people who might not always do the perfect job, but it's a mad world out there. Everybody want our money. Nothing wrong with that. I don't see anything wrong with the fan club deal really. You get a CD and a cap and pay some money and then you are in the front of the queue like a VIP. All bands use this concept these days.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 20, 2009 00:02

maddog87

I bought the UMG Black and Blue last night (literally) so I guess that would be the one copy.

I'm from the school of "pick an obscure, unloved album/song from a bands catalog, convince yourself you've discovered something no one else heard in the album/song and that you in fact LOVE it. Next scream from the highest mountain top for all to hear that the album/song is in fact THE BEST THING THE BAND HAS EVER DONE and you have me to thank for enlightening everyone."

And you Sir Craven of Cottage are a classic rock Neanderthal for not appreciating the disco and reggae rhythms of the Stones overlooked MASTERPEICE BLACK AND BLUE!!! What to the untrained eye appears unfocused and jammy is in fact the most perfect recording in rock and roll history....

No need to thank me.

...you crack me up...welcome to the board....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 20, 2009 00:04

bv
I don't see anything wrong with the fan club deal really. You get a CD and a cap and pay some money and then you are in the front of the queue like a VIP.

were that only true

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home