Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: How Well Are The UMG Remasters Selling?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 20, 2009 00:06

Muppet HiFi
New young people coming up all the time. Very soon all they'll be able to buy (in hard copy format) will be the new remasters. And they'll sell as well as they always have (even with that dreadful '73 overdub on the word "pussy"in Star Star).

These albums have been available for over 30 years until about three months ago.

I think it's safe to say that most people who have wanted to own them have had ample opportunity to buy them by now. And those that havent are more likely to download what they need than go into their local record shop and buy them.

Incidentally, are these albums retailing at full price? I know that when Sony released the remastered versions of 4 Dylan albums a few weeks ago they were made available at £5.99 for single CDs and £7.99 for double CDs (about half price). Selling 35 year old albums at full price isn't exactly a smart way of maximising sales.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 20, 2009 01:25

$13.99 a pop at Best Buy Sarasota, Florida. I thought that was high.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: May 20, 2009 04:45

Big Al
skipstone

They're not The Beatles, AC/DC, U2 or Pink Floyd - their back catalogue does not sell like those 4 do. Nobody cares.

AC/DC? Are you sure?

Maybe its just here in the UK, but I habe never of thought of them as in the same leauge in terms of popularity and sales.

I don't know person - personally - who likes AC/DC - whereas I lots of friends who ,at least, own 40 Licks.

stop being jeaolous and accept the truth . thanks.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 20, 2009 05:05

>I never fall for the greatest hits packages [...] Actually my favorite Stones albums after Banquet, Exile and SF are the Bigs Hits 1 and 2 from ABKCO...

I can't tell if you're being facetious -- BIG HITS 1 & 2 *are* greatest hits packages.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 20, 2009 05:16

Big Al
skipstone

They're not The Beatles, AC/DC, U2 or Pink Floyd - their back catalogue does not sell like those 4 do. Nobody cares.

AC/DC? Are you sure?

Maybe its just here in the UK, but I habe never of thought of them as in the same leauge in terms of popularity and sales.

I don't know person - personally - who likes AC/DC - whereas I lots of friends who ,at least, own 40 Licks.

AC/DC's last album has sold more copies in UK than Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang...COMBINED.
After 30 WEEKS the album remains Top 100 in UK while ABB spent 5 WEEKS inside the Top 100.
And let's not talk about AC/DC's sales in US.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 20, 2009 05:25

Thank you.

Yeah - believe it - there are bands out there that sell better than the Stones.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 20, 2009 12:19

there's nothing new in all that

now, put them up against the Stones live and we are talking a different ballgame

Posted by: maddog87 ()
Date: May 20, 2009 15:33

Glam Descendant
>I never fall for the greatest hits packages [...] Actually my favorite Stones albums after Banquet, Exile and SF are the Bigs Hits 1 and 2 from ABKCO...

I can't tell if you're being facetious -- BIG HITS 1 & 2 *are* greatest hits packages.

I don't know what my point is actually. I guess what I was trying to say is I have nostalgia or a connection to Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits, Vol. 2) from a borrowed LP I had in high school that I don't with Hot Rocks which was a Christmas season cash cow. I'm more likely to listen to the shorter Big Hits albums in one setting then the full double album.

Oh...and I'm a particularly irritating breed of tool...a music snob...so anyone with fond memories of listening to Hot Rocks? I pity them. winking smiley

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 20, 2009 20:59

i bought tattoo you in 1981 before becoming a stones fan because every song i heard on the radio i loved, but hot rocks was the album that made me a stones fan

Date: May 20, 2009 23:06

ghostryder13
i bought tattoo you in 1981 before becoming a stones fan because every song i heard on the radio i loved, but hot rocks was the album that made me a stones fan

If we are going to get on our high horse and point fingers at johnny come lately casual fans who purchase 40 Licks (...choking noises...) then which ring of Hell do we send Hot Rocks listeners? What are the iorr rules for such a thing?

Owning almost all the actual albums myself... I have to ask how ghostryder13 can look at himself in the mirror each morning?

Date: May 20, 2009 23:41

Hey, piss all of you lot. I buy all the comps. I actually like 'em. Why not? It's just a record. It's not like it's the last meal on the planet.

Date: May 21, 2009 01:04

maddog87
ghostryder13

If we are going to get on our high horse and point fingers at johnny come lately casual fans who purchase 40 Licks (...choking noises...) then which ring of Hell do we send Hot Rocks listeners? What are the iorr rules for such a thing?

Owning almost all the actual albums myself... I have to ask how ghostryder13 can look at himself in the mirror each morning?

WTF? i bought my first copy of hot rocks in early 1982 it made me want to buy more stones albums i've had stones albums on vinyl,cassette, 8track, and cd. i dont have to prove i'm a fan of the stones to anyone

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 21, 2009 01:04

See my new thread...First week sales according to Soundscan:

Sticky Fingers 4,326
Goats Head Soup 1,032
It's Only Rock and Roll 544
Black and Blue 827

Pecman

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 21, 2009 01:16

Pecman
See my new thread...First week sales according to Soundscan:

Sticky Fingers 4,326
Goats Head Soup 1,032
It's Only Rock and Roll 544
Black and Blue 827

Pecman

i'm kinda imagining those figures would be about how those albums have historically sold on normal weeks.

smileys with beerRe: How Well Are The UMG Remasters Selling?
Date: May 21, 2009 03:07

ghostryder13
maddog87
ghostryder13

WTF? i bought my first copy of hot rocks in early 1982 it made me want to buy more stones albums i've had stones albums on vinyl,cassette, 8track, and cd. i dont have to prove i'm a fan of the stones to anyone

Just teasing you. I'm buying Sticky Fingers and GHS for the first time (this week)...and the crappy Universal ones at that.

Hot Rocks and Hot Rocks II are awesome CDs ... smileys with beer

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 21, 2009 05:06

it all started for some people with REWIND!!!!!

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Date: May 21, 2009 08:18

Oh come on. Nader in 2012 is not even funny. Nader is not even funny anymore. It's lost its funniness. NOBODY cares about Nadoor anymore. He's a Nomore. Nobody. Nomore, Nobody, Nothing=Nader.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 21, 2009 17:17

"AC/DC's back catalogue sells quite well."

Back In Black sold 45 MILLION copies since 1981... smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 17:18 by dcba.

Date: May 21, 2009 18:40

A good amount of their albums sell pretty good too. Not Back In Black numbers but pretty good.

Re: smileys with beerRe: How Well Are The UMG Remasters Selling?
Date: May 21, 2009 19:31

maddog87
ghostryder13
maddog87
ghostryder13

Just teasing you. I'm buying Sticky Fingers and GHS for the first time (this week)...and the crappy Universal ones at that.

Hot Rocks and Hot Rocks II are awesome CDs ... smileys with beer

lol had to re read everything to realise you were kidding around.

Re: smileys with beerRe: How Well Are The UMG Remasters Selling?
Date: May 21, 2009 20:49

Just came back from a lunch break visit to Newbury Comics (local record shop) where I almost picked up a used ABKCO DSD version of HOT ROCKS II for $18. Thought of you ghostryder13 (..awww..). but times are tough!!! So I went with a used Virgin Steel Wheels for $6 instead.smiling smiley

Date: May 21, 2009 21:41

Did they have the Virgin GHS?

Date: May 21, 2009 22:11

You read my mind skipstone. No Virgin GHS. I'm going to try other stores though for used Virgins eye rolling smiley I don't already own. No Security is also high on the list.

The Universals went from $10 to $15 overnight.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 23, 2009 03:39

skipstone
Oh come on. Nader in 2012 is not even funny. Nader is not even funny anymore. It's lost its funniness. NOBODY cares about Nadoor anymore. He's a Nomore. Nobody. Nomore, Nobody, Nothing=Nader.
tsk tsk ....did we hit a nerve??....

Date: May 23, 2009 06:02

Ha ha. No, just sick of seeing something that has zero value that makes zero sense pop up. It's just not funny anymore. The joke is over - the hippies lost.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home