Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Satisfaction in 2007
Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: May 22, 2009 09:25

I think it didn sound gd in 2007

Re: Satisfaction in 2007
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 22, 2009 12:33

I disagree - I like all renditions of Satisfaction.

My recent favourite is from the Voodoo Lounge tour: Keith's cranked-up Les Paul really ignited something special in it

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 22, 2009 12:50

The 2007 version of Satisfaction is also not my favourite, it sounded somehow messy most of the times. It is one of the songs that I am personally really tired of. (And I am not against warhorses generally, I love to hear BS or JJF any time)

And to Big Al - I aggree that Satisfaction sounded great during the VL tour. The Les Paul really sounded great.

That is one of the interesting thing about Satisfaction - Keith has used many many giutars for playing that one live, while he usually has his favourite guitars for different somgs. Like I can't imagine him playing BS or YCAGWYW these days on anything else than the Teles that he uses for those two for instance. Any idea why is that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 12:57 by Happy24.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 22, 2009 12:56

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 12:56 by Happy24.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 22, 2009 13:24

I witnessed the train wreck Satisfaction in Werchter, so I would have to say 2007 was not a great year for the song...

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 22, 2009 13:29

It was still great on the main stage, but sounded poorer on the b-stage.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 22, 2009 13:56

Saisfaction in Helsingfors 2007 was probably the worst thing I've ever heard live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 13:57 by Bärs.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:01

2007 simply was not a good year for the Stones, that is for sure!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:05

"gd" confused smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:06

They haven't played it with any authority since 1969 that I've heard. It's just been a gum chewing imitation ever since. Lately it's, amazingly, gotten worse. They put a tie and jacket on it for Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle. It was a bit more like the record version for Voodoo. They were smart to open with it and get it out of the way for Bridges - they kept it short too.

Aside from it being a big hit, why they bother with it I dunno. They stopped playing it for eons.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:14

Well, the B2B versions were pretty elegant. It's good for Keith's legacy to have that great, great solo officially documented on DVD.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:18

For once I agree with Bärs. Those DVD-sequences are great.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 22, 2009 16:54

Right, the B2B versions rocked!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:09

Baboon Bro
"gd" confused smiley
Yes, it's kid-speak for "good" - and the same little sweeties use "U" when they actually mean "you"... Terribly annoying, and they're only trying to be "cool".
cool smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:14

Addicted
Baboon Bro
"gd" confused smiley
Yes, it's kid-speak for "good" - and the same little sweeties use "U" when they actually mean "you"... Terribly annoying, and they're only trying to be "cool".
cool smiley

Glad these teens of YouTwo didn´t realize that...

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:30

I see some people here think "Satisfaction" was performed as unsuccessfully as in Werchter and Helsinki all through the tour... Totally wrong!
On some nights - it was a helluva highlight. With a thundering intro, bit inspired by Marc Bolan(?), and a proof that Keith's still exploring his old songs. I know several people on the board actually commented on the fact that on some nights, Satisfaction was - to use an American cliché - TOTALLY AWESOME!
Oslo, Copenhagen and one of the O2-shows must've been among the best shows on the entire tour. I was fortunate enough to see most of the shows on ABB Leg 2. So I can actually compare the shows... Having been there, and not only "witnessed" things on YouTube, bootlegs and cell phone clips, gives you a better basis for comparisson. (I'm sure some people will argue that, because they have boots... but, come on! It's not the same ting!)

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:39

Back to thread I think Addicted describes it in a brilliant manner.

I saw the Stones show in Düsseldorf 2007 and I got to say Satisfaction really
knocked me because it was played with a "grumbling" intro instead the well known continuing in that style all the way through - incredible !
Although I say they shouldn´t play it anymore live it was a fantastic version this
night - contradiction ?
Yes .

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 22, 2009 17:43

skipstone
They haven't played it with any authority since 1969 that I've heard. It's just been a gum chewing imitation ever since.

yes, when I hear Leeds '71 version I just try to close my ears. I can't damn stand it! It's so awful. anyone could play better, man! School bands are thousand times more pro than the Stones playing "Satisfaction" in 1971 in Leeds!

B2B version? Oh hell, opening with a big hit, easy! I don't like it, those cats are tired. And ouch, no Mick Taylor! Drunk Ronnie always destroys the songs, yep. It's worse than awful, unlistenable! I'd love more audience shots on DVD, I just can't look at them!

skipstone - I think you're going too far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-22 17:44 by Amused.

Date: May 22, 2009 17:56

Notice I said 'since 1969 that I've heard'.

I haven't heard Leeds. The version on Still Life is a hilarious mess. The SW/UJ version is just too robotic almost. The Voodoo version was dumpy, which I thought was good. The Bridges version was pretty good.

But when I listen to that version in Gimme Shelter it just makes me wonder. I've been accused of 'living in the past' etc...what I'm talking about is they had an obvious interest in playing it that tour and they really PLAYED it. They completely changed it, of course, which was brilliant. They gave it some swagger. Mick sang it like he meant it.

Now they just imitate the single/LP version.

Yeah sure, there's gonna be nights where it's good. Overall I think it's been one they should put away.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 22, 2009 18:01

> Yeah sure, there's gonna be nights where it's good. Overall I think it's been one they should put away.

uhm... yep. smiling smiley

try Leeds, anyway. GYYYO, just without this 'legendary' label on it. cool stuff.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 22, 2009 21:44

1969 OK? A whinin´little mosquito....g-string? (sorry...) Not ok to my ears. So what do we have left? 81-2007. I´m not sure, but I think Keith wanted to try a new way of playin´it the last tour...wanted to be punk, young and really go out on a limb...That´s why he let the e-string (this is fun...) join in..."listen to this mess!!! children..." And compared to rest of the songs 2005-7...maybe not that bad.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 22, 2009 22:07

2007 intro is almost the same as in 1989-90, nice intro,

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: May 22, 2009 22:19

For my ears 1981 version is second after mid-sixties one.1989 is as good as whole guitar playing on steel wheels Tour.BtB is acceptable really.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 22, 2009 22:35

Apart from a couple of shows,the Isle of Wight being one i think,Satisfaction absolutely rocked on the b-stage during the Bang tour.Not as good as '69 obviously,but better than Steel Wheels,Voodoo and certainly the equal of B2B.1971 never really did it for me either.The worst version has to be '78,however much i love that tour.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 22, 2009 22:38

Anyone care to say what exactly makes the 69 version stand out so much from the others. I too believe it is by far the best live version of that warhorse.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 22, 2009 23:28

Shawn20
Anyone care to say what exactly makes the 69 version stand out so much from the others. I too believe it is by far the best live version of that warhorse.

Is it too obvious to post this

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 22, 2009 23:39

The English subtitles are amusingly questionable. Are they necessary?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 22, 2009 23:40

i preffer the 81-82 live versions

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 23, 2009 05:00

I've usually not particularly enjoyed the modern live Satisfaction: the singing is poor, the riff is too much in the background and it's a disappointment (in exactly the same way that JJF is not).

That said, I saw them do a long version of it in Rome in 2007 and it totally blew me away. Loved it!

Date: May 23, 2009 06:00

1969 explanation attempt: Part of it is the way the rhythmic romp Keith is laying down (they both do it) that is what became the Dancing With Mr D guitar line essentially. It's got funk, it's got swagger, it moves. It dictated the beat. Taylor's soloing is profound actually - plus he plays the screaming guitar line that is famous an octave up, which makes it more of a searing wailing crying screaming tearing (as in tearing in half) monster riff than the lazy original riff.

As it is, they played Live With Me way more interesting on the 69 tour than ever again. And JJF had - everything was just FRESH and vibrant. That energy carried on throughout the next few tours and ended after the 1973 tour.

THAT is part of why people love those 72 and 73 bootlegs - it's not just because of Mick Taylor's playing, it's the band. From 73 to 75 something drastically changed, aside from the string section. From 76 to 78 something drastically changed. From 78 to 81 something drastically changed. The last change was 1989. Nothing's changed since then basically.

I hope that makes sense.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home