Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How Well Are The UMG Remasters Selling?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:50

Any info available? Think anyone noticed they were back? I haven't seen anything about if they are selling at all.

Re: How Well Are The UMG Remasters Selling?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:13

Well, none are listed in the Top 75 at Tescos (UK) as of last week - when I purchased Dylan's latest offering.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:30

...........they didn't break the top 200 either...........[www.atrl.net]

.....but I defer to georgelicks who usually knows this stuff better than anyone..and I can't be sure that the re-releases were actually counted as of last week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-18 22:37 by Rip This.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:39

I didn't even know they'd been released yet until I checked on Amazon yesterday...I predict they're not going to be successful at all...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:41

this does NOT bode well for tickets sales of the 2010 UMG Remasters Tour

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:42

Hey, what do you expect? The Stones didn't release a new album, only re-released there old ones to fill up the empty stores left by Virgin. These CDs are classics and a "must" for every reseller to put them at their display.

This and the preparation for the upcoming Stones events are the only reason to release this CDs, step by step: A beginning campaign ...

Date: May 18, 2009 21:46

T&A

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:56

HighwireC
Hey, what do you expect? The Stones didn't release a new album, only re-released there old ones to fill up the empty stores left by Virgin. These CDs are classics and a "must" for every reseller to put them at their display.

Thats a classic misunderstanding of how the business works for resellers - if they dont sell, the racks will remain empty in future and the space will be filled with other stuff...no matter how "classic" certain albums and certain artists are - if they dont sell, the products shelf life will be short.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:07

Now, $10 US a pop on ebay...I wouldnt give a nickel for them, considering the reviews I'v heard on this and other threads, of course I have all the original vinyl records, and dont like cd sound anyway...SACDs are the best I've heard...but still nothing like the records.

JMHO...

JR

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:09

And in many cases re-packages of old material - whether as in the Stones case( a
change of labels) or merely a Greatest Hits package CAN sell - and of course make a very good profit for the record company.
I seem to recall a few years ago - probably in the run up to Christmas - that at least 50% of the top 75 albums were old material recycled in some form or other.
Not sure that UMG have spent much on any marketing campaigns??

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:33

Does some store have exclusive rights to sell the the UMG stuff?
I was in Target and Best Buy stores yesterday and hardly any Stones at all, def. no new re-releases.

Date: May 18, 2009 22:38

gmanp
Does some store have exclusive rights to sell the the UMG stuff?
I was in Target and Best Buy stores yesterday and hardly any Stones at all, def. no new re-releases.

Best Buy has the UMG remasters on the shelf.

Date: May 18, 2009 22:47

alimente
HighwireC

Thats a classic misunderstanding of how the business works for resellers - if they dont sell, the racks will remain empty in future and the space will be filled with other stuff...no matter how "classic" certain albums and certain artists are - if they dont sell, the products shelf life will be short.

Polydor and UMC (Universal Music Catalogue) are producing and rereleasing the complete non-ABKCO-catalogue now. They have to fill the racks (... and will sell enough to do some profit, btw).

After these preparations UMG will come with fresh material, while UMC will release some additional and unreleased "old" tracks, etc.

The Rolling Stones are in the beginning of their >>50 years live on stage<< ceremonies ...

So they don't make any thoughts about some entries in charts with these first rereleased old CDs. The Rolling Stones and the Music Group are more thinking about the upcoming Events.

The money-maschine has been re-started now, but has to run the next five years and much longer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-18 22:51 by HighwireC.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:00

How many remasters can we take? I have 10-15 copies of Licks. And 5-10 different versions of Sticky Fingers and a lot of the other albums. The original vinyl is still my original stuff, but may be one day I want all of this 100% digital. On all my discs and PC's... I don't need any more plastic CD products with repackaged booklets.

Bjornulf

Date: May 18, 2009 23:10

bv
How many remasters can we take? I have 10-15 copies of Licks. And 5-10 different versions of Sticky Fingers and a lot of the other albums. The original vinyl is still my original stuff, but may be one day I want all of this 100% digital. On all my discs and PC's... I don't need any more plastic CD products with repackaged booklets.

Yes, you are right, BV, but are all those people on this earth diehard stonesfans and have all the people all their records, boot, DVDs, etc etc etc?

NO, they havn't.

But they'll get a chance by now to get them, as downloads, as reremasterd CDs as vinyl-LPs (are in pressing) too,

The Rolling Stones didn't stop to make some new and fresh music and to gather fresh fans, they'll never stop and say: Now we need no more new fans (and no more money).

Mick and Keef and all the other boys, Lisa too, are very happy about every new fan, Teens or Twens, not only the older men and women ... ;-)

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:21

When it comes to the remasters, I'll be purchasing those albums of which I only currently own the CBS version of: Goats Head Soup, Some Girls and Dirty Work. Aside from those, I don't intend buy into it.

The Virgin Remasters sound OK to my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-18 23:22 by Big Al.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:22

I have Soundscan...the #'s come out on Wednesday.

PECMAN

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:31

they've made a big jump in Amazon's best sellers...but not enough to return in
the general charts in my advice...After all these are old tracks with nothing
new....

Date: May 18, 2009 23:45

Pecman

PECMAN

...well then there's hope they'll nudge in to the count.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:55

Pecman

PECMAN

The remasters were released on May 5, so the first week's sales should be on last week chart. I don't have the Top 200 Catalog, any sales info should be there...only if some title has sold at least 1,000 copies to made the list.

In UK, nothing in the Top 200.

The sales must be AWFUL, just like the Stones' sales in recent years.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 19, 2009 00:11

S.A.L dvd made a very good chart run in UK....& Stones records are still well placed in Amazon best sellers....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 19, 2009 02:44

EVERYONE I've talked to thats bought them has told me they dont come close to the Virgin releases. Anyone here have a different take??

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2009 03:22

I was just curious as to if there were ANY numbers at all. I'm not expecting anything to make the Top 20 or even the Top 100 or for that matter the Top 200. I know it's more of a turtle than a rabbit. A majority of people that listen to music on the planet already have their albums by now.

They're not The Beatles, AC/DC, U2 or Pink Floyd - their back catalogue does not sell like those 4 do. But there have to be some sales. Hell, they've gotta sell more than, I dunno, The Who, who have put out a lot of extra goodies - certainly they don't plan to make it NOW, they make it over the haul.

Then again, maybe they don't. I certainly don't know. It's human to think one thing. It's reality to learn another thing. Their catalogue probably sells OK when they're touring but only for a month or two leading up to whatever date. Probably in the high hundreds/low thousands, as in one or two thousand, not 10s and 20s and higher.

Turn on the radio and hear Angie, JJF, IORR, Miss You, Beast Of Burden, Start Me Up, Shattered, Ruby Tuesday, Satisfaction, 19th, Cloud, Waiting On A Friend, LSTNT, SFM and SFTD and...who cares. Nothing newer than 1981 is ever played on the radio that I ever hear. So I can't see anything going on sale post TY making any...almost NO sales at all.

Nobody cares.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 19, 2009 08:59

skipstone

They're not The Beatles, AC/DC, U2 or Pink Floyd - their back catalogue does not sell like those 4 do. Nobody cares.

AC/DC? Are you sure?

Maybe its just here in the UK, but I habe never of thought of them as in the same leauge in terms of popularity and sales.

I don't know person - personally - who likes AC/DC - whereas I lots of friends who ,at least, own 40 Licks.

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: May 19, 2009 09:15

New young people coming up all the time. Very soon all they'll be able to buy (in hard copy format) will be the new remasters. And they'll sell as well as they always have (even with that dreadful '73 overdub on the word "pussy"in Star Star).

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: May 19, 2009 09:20

T&A

Ohhh?!?!?!?!
Will there be an other tour?
Never thought so that this would happen.

Mr.Ed

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 19, 2009 09:25

bv

You have 10-15 copies of Licks but you only have the vinyl ones of the old stuff??? Thats a bit weird.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: May 19, 2009 09:28

i was gonna say...

why so many copies of 40 Licks? (or is that Live Licks hahahahahaha!)

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 14:33

i think most people are satisfied with the sound quality of the virgin remasters. these are hard times and most people will not spend money on something they already have.

Date: May 19, 2009 14:48

ghostryder13
i think most people are satisfied with the sound quality of the virgin remasters. these are hard times and most people will not spend money on something they already have.

Agreed, the Virgin remasters sound fine to me....I am tired of re-buying stuff from my favorite classic rock bands over and over so I don't unless there is something new released with it...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home