Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
How much do you like The White Album?
Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: May 12, 2009 06:25

I love it so much , it's one of the best works ever and each songs has more than 50 plays on my itunes , i think it's amazing!!
Every song is my fave , what do you think ???

Re: How much do you like The White Album?
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 12, 2009 06:28

One of the all time great albums. Not quite up to the latest Iron Maiden but what is?

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: May 12, 2009 06:32

No Expectations
One of the all time great albums. Not quite up to the latest Iron Maiden but what is?

Hehehehe.grinning smiley

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 08:00

sgt pepper seems to get the credit as the beatles best work but i feel the white album and revolver blow it away.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: May 12, 2009 09:03

White Album is one of the best music listening experiences ever. Love it. Cant wait for the remasters. The Stones should take better care of their music and treat it like the Beatles camp treats their own stuff. Stones have been pissing me off with the way they treat their legacy. Cant wait for the Beatles remasters along wit the dvds. Have always preffered the Stones but they are idiots when it comes to putting out good product. I cant wait for the Beatles remasters and thats cuz the Stones are my fav band of all time. Dont even like macca and john that much but mick is a selfish idiot doesnt care about what we want what a shame

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 12, 2009 09:10

ghostryder13
sgt pepper seems to get the credit as the beatles best work but i feel the white album and revolver blow it away.

I disagree. For a while, Sgt Pepper was cited as being their 'greatest work', but in more recent years it has come to be seen as more of a period piece: an important, groundbreaking period piece, yes, but definitely not their best album.

Revolver is their finest work, imo, with the White Album being 3rd, behind Abbey Road.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 09:20

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: May 12, 2009 09:27

just my personal opinion, but when it came out I and all my school mates listened and thought Rubbish and my opinion has never changed,
About 16 years ago my exwife bought it on CD for me and wondered why I was not that enthusiastic, so I played it for her and for once in her life she agreed that it was awfull.
Ntver plated it since.
But as I said thats my personal opinion, if you like it fair enough, go for it

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 12, 2009 09:33

For a long time it was Pepper and Abbey Road that were regarded
as the Beatles' finest records. Since probably the early 90s,
Revolver and the White Album have taken their place.
Funny that Revolver and the White Album are records Mccartney rarely mentions
in interviews unless pressed. However, kudos to Mccartney for him
and Richard Hamilton for doing the sleeve and poster. A brilliant idea.
Also if you gave the White Album to a producer or A&R guy today (who had no idea who it was), they would probably say this is worst mix of all time.
Remember, everything nowadays has to be CD loud, digital, make it like Green Day or Coldplay, etc...
IT's certainly the oddest mix the Beatles ever did, but that's what makes it so incredible. As I said before, the mono mix blows the stereo away.
Too bad, too, there was no room for George's Not Guilty as that would have been
a great addition (great song, too).
Also remember that in the US, the White Album sold 2 MILLION IN THE FIRST WEEK of release!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-12 09:40 by tomk.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 12, 2009 09:42

mexicostone, this here is a Stones forum -
last time I checked the White Album was made by the Beartles.. =
"OT:" in headline. smiling smiley

I like White Album but grew tired of it back in 1985 after many years hard spin.
Maybe its time to dust it off again..

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 12, 2009 10:43

I love The White Album. It was the first Beatles album I heard, and I think it's their greatest. Granted, I rate Abbey Road and Revolver almost as highly, but not quite.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 12, 2009 11:22

I agree the mono mix blows the stereo away. Funny how now all people hear are the stereo mixes and the Beatles never cared nearly as much about those as they did the mono mixes.

The mono mix of Pepper took 12 hours and all four Beatles attended. The stereo mix was done in four hours the next day and no Beatle was there.

It was a different age.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2009 12:19

My fav songs on the White Album is Sympathy... followed by Stray Cat Blues.
"The White Album" is BBanquet with the censored cover, right?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 12:30

ghostryder13

My favourite is Abbey Road, but Stg. Pepper and White follow.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 12, 2009 13:29

A few losers, but mostly brilliance.

My favorites are Rubber Soul (all that acoustic stuff) and Revolver.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 12, 2009 13:48

It's a masterpiece. How much power must John Lennon have had in the group and with the record company to get Revolution 9 included on it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2009 14:40

Agree with what was said above in that in recent years, Revolver and Abbey Road have been widely regarded as the Fabs' finest. A sentiment I'd agree with, with Abbey Road being my favourite.

I think George Martin felt that the White Album was too long, and I'd agree, as there's some fluff on it that normally would have discarded, but somehow it gels as a sprawling piece of work and they manage to get away with some of the fluff that's on it.

Not sure if many have heard the recently torrented 'take 20' of Revolution 1 which lasts some ten minutes, and is basically an unabridged version of the released take which includes some of the loops which found their way onto Revolution 9. Absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 12, 2009 14:52

Ian Macdonald famously wrote that while Revolution 9 exposed millions of people to the avant garde who wouldn't have heard it before, few actually have listened to it more than once. Agree?

In other words, do we a) skip over Revolution 9, b) play it only when "in the mood" i.e. perhaps late at night under the influence, or c) consider it a crucial part of the whole, and side 4 wouldn't be the same without it?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:04

I've always thought it an overrated album personally that would have been much better as a single album - way too many fillers for my taste. For me, the Beatles' best are (in order): Abbey Road, Let It Be, and Rubber Soul.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:14

Zack
Ian Macdonald famously wrote that while Revolution 9 exposed millions of people to the avant garde who wouldn't have heard it before, few actually have listened to it more than once. Agree?

In other words, do we a) skip over Revolution 9, b) play it only when "in the mood" i.e. perhaps late at night under the influence, or c) consider it a crucial part of the whole, and side 4 wouldn't be the same without it?

Definitely c)

One of my favourite tracks on the entire album. Although I can appreciate the sentiments at b) ! (its great to listen to in the dark!)

That said, its not a style of 'music' I'd ordinarily listen to for more than a few seconds..its just that track I happen to like. That other weird track they did around that time "What's The New Mary Jane" I DO find unlistenable, though.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:18

The White Album is really tremendous, although that album is almost more like 3 solo acts who happen to be playing on each other's songs. IMHO, Macca and George own that album.

As for my favorite though, its gotta be Abbey Road by a mile. The finest collection of songs, and it rocks hard too. Its the Beethoven's 9th of rock and roll.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:28

The mix on the White Album always has sounded like a "coke mix" to me, so piercing and trebly. Not that I really think the engineers were gacked up though. They still had to wear ties to work in those days, so the notion of them working with a pile of geez on a table next to the mixing board is far-fetched. Still, that's what it sounds like to me.

It was also the last Beatles four-track album. You may notice how different Abbey Road sounds compared to any other Beatles album, because EMI finally replaced the four-track recorders with 8-track machines and put a new mixing board in that radically changed the sound they got in that studio, much richer and more expansive sounding.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:32

They weren't a coke band. Early days pills, then pot, then acid, then back to pot. The White album is a heavy pot and heroine album (Lennon was on H at that time). There is a great shot in The Beatles Anthology, of snippets of film of the recording sessions and at the end the camera goes in tight on an ashtray with a fattie smoldering. What's the News Mary Jane?

Posted by: mryapp ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:47

Maybe the Beatles should have had a mascot like 'eddie (or is it 'Eddy?). He could have roughed up Ringo, maybe.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:47

Hope Charlie Manson doesn't voice his opinion.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 12, 2009 16:03

I mostly love it - sorry Gazza, I can't stomach #9 though.

I used to love the Martha My Dear side best, but now the two tracks I play most are Savoy Truffle and Cry Baby Cry.

I Will is beautiful though and one of my all-time favorite Beatles songs.

I don't love Revolver, I enjoy it, but don't love it. I know I'm in the minority on this one.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: May 12, 2009 16:15

The White Album to me is BEGGARS BANQUET

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 12, 2009 17:11

...not much.

Beggars Banquet rather makes it The Toilet Record tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: May 12, 2009 17:16

WAY better than anything the beetles ever released

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 12, 2009 17:21

The White Album is their best. And I think that both Rubber Soul and Revolver are better than place number 4: Sgt. Pepper.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home