Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones fans musical tastes
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2009 23:19

teleblaster
My fascination with the Stones coincided with getting into Chuck Berry and I still have the highest regard for Chuck's music - his lyrics, rhythm and guitar style. I am an unabashed rock 'n' roll fan to this day and am as likely to be listening to Jerry Lee or even Sleepy LaBeef as the Stones.

a rare iorr call out to the great sleepy la beef! love him - saw him a few years back at a small club. fabulous....famous for being able to play something like 6,000 songs on command.

speaking of chuck berry - i notice that his 60's boxset followup to the great 50's one is about to be released. yeah, baby.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2009 23:36

How about '70's Chuck Berry?

I'm anxiously awaiting the extended/unedited version of My Ding-A-Ling.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2009 23:46

Hairball

i think it has been previously extended...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2009 23:53

T&A
Hairball

i think it has been previously extended...

Thats what she said!

Bada Bing!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 7, 2009 23:55

I am a child of the 60's so I lived through Woodstock and Altamont; I favor British Rock and love everything from the Who, Kinks, Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, The Faces, Cream, Blind Faith, Van Morrison, all Clapton groups and Winwood off-shoots, the Mercey Sound, of course the Beatles, and especially British Blues. Having said that I listen to American Delta Blues, Chicago Blues, American folk music- Joni Mitchell, ( I know, she's Canadian but we adopted her),early Dylan, and more recently Jeff Buckley. I also love Aerosmith, the Doors, and the San Francisco bands of the 60's and 70's which would include the Jefferson Airplane, Santana, and Janis. I'm not sure where Hendrix fits in but I still listen to Electric LadyLand...loved him!! I am not a fan of Southern Rock, although there are a few exceptions. I have no patience for 90% of today's music...I hate Ryan Adams, Beck, rap, hip hop etc. I am a huge Simply Red fan, miss him!! Where has he gone? Also I miss INXS. What a great front man Michael was. Back to American music of the 60's, I loved the first albums of Crosby, Stills and Nash ( and Young) and wore out copies of those records. There's more, just can't name them all. For the person that named the Electric Prunes.. I loved that band! Do you remember Nazz?? I've dated myself enough for now I think.

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: April 8, 2009 00:01

Stones,Hendrix,Zeppelin,AC/DC,Janis Joplin,Cream,Yardbirds,Johnny Winter,The Animals,The Doors,The Who,The Cult,Black Crowes,Guns n'Roses,Bruce Springsteen,T.Rex,Iggy & Stooges,Stevie Ray Voughan,Lynyrd Skynyrd,Ten Years After,ZZ Top,Cactus,The Chesterfield Kings,Ramones,Patti Smith,Creedence Clearwater Revival,Dylan,Bob Marley,Izzy Stradlin,Blondie,Pretenders,Leslie West & Mountain,George Thorogood,Rory Gallagher,Taste,Thin Lizzy,Free,Bad Company,Jefferson Airplane,The Brian Jonestown Massacre,New York Dolls,Aerosmith,Tina Turner,Bowie,Pink Floyd,Velvet Underground...

Date: April 8, 2009 00:05

Gagi, looking at you list, I realize I left out a monster!! Zeppelin!! Also I must add Bad Company and also Bad Finger!! This could go on forever!!

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: April 8, 2009 00:12

mickschix
Gagi, looking at you list, I realize I left out a monster!! Zeppelin!! Also I must add Bad Company and also Bad Finger!! This could go on forever!!

I forgive you winking smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 8, 2009 00:14

I was in a restaraunt in Chattanooga last Sunday and they played lots of good rock from 60's and 70's including [drumroll] Time Is On My Side and the Electric Prunes [what a great name]

Date: April 8, 2009 00:42

Do you remember the Prunes' song " Too Much To Drink Last Night"?? It was a great band name.....guess no one recalls Nazz! I believe that was Todd Rundgren's first band. One of my biggest thrills of all time was seeing Mick sing " Time " during the last tour. It made me cry. Actually I saw that song twice live but the best version was at the Radio City show for Robin Hood Fund. Keith and Mick, sharing the spotlight, and Keith was ON that night!! ON FIRE! Sorry, I digress!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 8, 2009 00:52

Classical music from medieval to the 21st century; British folk and folk-rock (The Chieftains, Fairport and Steeleye Span; Maddy Prior, Sandy Denny and the wonderful Anne Briggs); all sorts of world music especially South American and African; bluegrass and blues and all kinds of American roots; cajun and zydeco; pop and rock from my teenage years in the 1960s to the present day; doo-wop ... Too many bands and artists to list them all.

I'm not much of a fan of "classic rock" as a genre; modern R&B on the whole does nothing for me, but I'll listen once to almost any music and I like most of it.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 8, 2009 01:39

I love the Rolling Stones more than any thing else.I also dig:

Chuck Berry,Muddy Waters,Hound Dog taylor,Elvis Presley, Bo Didley,Jerry Lee Lewis,J.Geils band,James Brown,Springsteen, Johnny Winter, Marvin Gaye,Tom Waits, Elvis Costello,The Band,Bob Dylan, Peter Tosh, Toots&the Maytals, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Janis Joplin,The Pretenders,Iggy Pop, The Sex pistols, New york Dolls, Jack White.

I hate Genesis,Phil Collins,so called New wave shit, a good chunk of the 80's music. Don't get Hip Hop and rap (although I tried).Techno & house music escape me too.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Des ()
Date: April 8, 2009 01:48

Now for something a little different....other than opera, hip hop, and rap I will entertain listening to anything.

I do not gravitate to any specific kind of music. If a piece appeals to me it apeals to me (Beyond the Sea..a standard...love it). I do not say I like The ?????'s (insert band name), all bands have good and poor material, one reason I was never into albums, too much filler.

If I had to pigeon hole the Stones I would say they are my favorite live band, their albums have been variable quality with songs ranging from my favorites to avaerge.

So just play me the best of...........

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: April 8, 2009 02:48

mickschix
I am a child of the 60's so I lived through Woodstock and Altamont; I favor British Rock and love everything from the Who, Kinks, Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, The Faces, Cream, Blind Faith, Van Morrison, all Clapton groups and Winwood off-shoots, the Mercey Sound, of course the Beatles, and especially British Blues. Having said that I listen to American Delta Blues, Chicago Blues, American folk music- Joni Mitchell, ( I know, she's Canadian but we adopted her),early Dylan, and more recently Jeff Buckley. I also love Aerosmith, the Doors, and the San Francisco bands of the 60's and 70's which would include the Jefferson Airplane, Santana, and Janis. I'm not sure where Hendrix fits in but I still listen to Electric LadyLand...loved him!! I am not a fan of Southern Rock, although there are a few exceptions. I have no patience for 90% of today's music...I hate Ryan Adams, Beck, rap, hip hop etc. I am a huge Simply Red fan, miss him!! Where has he gone? Also I miss INXS. What a great front man Michael was. Back to American music of the 60's, I loved the first albums of Crosby, Stills and Nash ( and Young) and wore out copies of those records. There's more, just can't name them all. For the person that named the Electric Prunes.. I loved that band! Do you remember Nazz?? I've dated myself enough for now I think.

OMG, I think I love you. Other than Simply Red, that would be my list. Love I had to much to dream last night by the Electric Prunes. I would add Lucinda Williams & J Geils Band.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 8, 2009 03:50

Ever go over someone's house--a person you just met--and size up their cd/record collection to try to figure out what they're all about?

Aftermath engineer Dave Hassinger produced the Electric Prunes.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 8, 2009 03:51

Besides the Rolling Stones in no particular order - Hendrix, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Queen (pre 1980), Kinks, Animals, Springsteen & E St. Band, AC/DC, Tom Petty, U2 followed by about 40 to 50 other great acts...And let's not forget the Blues artists that made this all possible: Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Sonnyboy Williamson II, Son House, John Lee Hooker and about 100 other artists that helped shape the music we love so much today.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 8, 2009 13:07

Having technically qualified as being what rock circles regard as a "late borner", I've come across the Stones in my parents record collection. They had some of their albums, mostly from the 60s with the exception of "Exile" that was from the 70s.
I grew to listen to pop radio in the mid-80s, that era of music which sounds quite dated and cheap today for the most part because of its digital production equipment.
I welcomed the Unplugged trend with open arms, I can tell you!
During that era, I found out that only older bands who were not aimed at the teenage market, didn't use those production techniques. I liked their sound, and my school friends didn't quite understand why I despised Michael Jackson, or Stock / Aitken / Waterman or the New Kids On the Block. I also didn't like Bon Jovi and Guns N Roses, though I've changed my mind on some of their stuff up to now.
I started out my collection with the Traveling Wilburys and their solo efforts at the time and it went from there. By now, you could say that my taste is eclectic.
It's got elements from classic rock, westcoast rock, blues, soulpop, country, Americana a/k/a roots rock, folk elements, Tex Mex, other world music like American Indian and Indian Indian, the whole Cuban experience of the late 90s, with a splice of Trip Hop and Big Beat thrown in for good measure. I'm somewhat careful when it comes to jazz records, but there are some that are really good, too, even though they may not be pure jazz records, but influenced by other styles as well.

I kind of wish the Stones had carried on with their experimentation into Big Beat that they started on the B2B album ("Saint Of Me", "Anybody Seen My Baby"), but on ABB, only the funk-disco from the late 70s returned ("Rain Fall Down", "Neocon") which is a style I find quite dreadful when coming from the Stones.

A list of my favourite groups surely would include John Hiatt and the rest of Little Village, the Traveling Wilburys including solo, especially Tom Petty, Los Lobos, the Elton John of the late 80s and 90s, Howie B and his productions, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Junior Brown, the Richard Thompson of the late 80s onwards, U2 from the late 80s until their album that bombed, and John Fogerty, too. I'll leave it at that or the list would get too lengthy.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 8, 2009 14:09

T&A

a rare iorr call out to the great sleepy la beef! love him - saw him a few years back at a small club. fabulous....famous for being able to play something like 6,000 songs on command.

I envy you that, T&A. Never seen the man. Remember him from "The Old Grey Whistle Test" from wa-a-a-ay back, so he has played the UK, but not in recent years as far as I know. Love the man's music.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 8, 2009 14:16

mickschix
...I hate Ryan Adams

you make Adrian-L sad. sad smiley

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 8, 2009 16:15

Thanks for the stories Nanker. Quite some memories

I unfortunatley is way too young to ever have witnessed the crazy energy shows in their mid-to-late-eighties heyday. Haven't had a chance to see them since the re-union either, and with only a few festival gigs lined up [so far] for the summer, it probably ain't gonna happen anytime soon

...didn't know tapes of their earliest gigs existed

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 8, 2009 21:09

loog droog
Ever go over someone's house--a person you just met--and size up their cd/record collection to try to figure out what they're all about?

Aftermath engineer Dave Hassinger produced the Electric Prunes.

I myself have not, but there have been several friends and relatives that come over and spend a fair amount of time looking at mine!!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 8, 2009 21:42

Hi Mickschicks! I´m the Prunes person...never heard Nazz...but I bet they were good! And-shouldn´t it be "Too much to DREAM last night", if my memory serves me well? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: April 8, 2009 22:17

Stuff I've been listening to the most in recent months:

Pavement
Los Lobos
McCoy Tyner
Elmore James
Lou Reed
New Order
Joe Strummer
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Paul Westerberg
A.C. Newman
Horace Silver
Ronnie Earl
White Stripes
Taj Mahal
Bowie
The Band
Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
Kinks
Stones
Duke Robillard
Otis Redding
Derek Trucks
Lucinda Williams
Miles Davis
The Move
Delaney & Bonnie
Mott the Hoople

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 8, 2009 22:23

rollmops
I love the Rolling Stones more than any thing else.I also dig:

Chuck Berry,Muddy Waters,Hound Dog taylor,Elvis Presley, Bo Didley,Jerry Lee Lewis,J.Geils band,James Brown,Springsteen, Johnny Winter, Marvin Gaye,Tom Waits, Elvis Costello,The Band,Bob Dylan, Peter Tosh, Toots&the Maytals, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Janis Joplin,The Pretenders,Iggy Pop, The Sex pistols, New york Dolls, Jack White.

I hate Genesis,Phil Collins,so called New wave shit, a good chunk of the 80's music. Don't get Hip Hop and rap (although I tried).Techno & house music escape me too.
Rock and Roll,
Mops
Wow, very close to my own taste rollmops, just one exception out of the 2 lists.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 8, 2009 23:25

Stones
Who
Kinks
Floyd
Dylan
Dead
Beatles
Beach Boys & BW
Springsteen
CCR & Fogerty
Cream & other Clapton
Doors
Marley & other Jamaican and African reggae
Mayall
Van M (early stuff)
(Small) Faces
Steely Dan
CSN & especially Young
Chess giants (Waters, Wolf, Dixon, Berry, B.B. & Albert etc.
Miles, Coltrane & other bebop giants
Satchmo & other old classic jazz
Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc.
Zeppelin, ZZ Top & Zappa

Giving opera my best shot, having some difficulty

Date: April 9, 2009 00:00

Off the top of my head, some of my favorites include...

Hank Williams, The Meters, VU,James Brown, Waylon Jennings, Muddy Waters, Aretha, Desmond Dekker, Wu Tang, Zeppelin, Fats Domino, Robert Johnson, Funkadelic, Tom Waits, Nas, Elvis, Dylan, Al Green, Snooks Eaglin, Scratch Perry, Howlin' Wolf, Sade, Marvin, Lee Dorsey, The Who, Otis, Stooges, Chris Kenner, The Coasters, Ernie K Doe, Clash, Sam Cooke, Arsenio Rodriguez, Sensational Nightengales, Biggie, The Maytals, Dorothy Love Coates, Eddie Bo, Wilson Pickett, The Faces, The Temptations, Steely Dan, Chuck Berry, Lou Reed, Bowie, Barney Kessel, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Heptones, Curtis Mayfield, Sam & Dave, John Lee Hooker, Miles, GP, Van Morrison, Booker T & The MGs, The Doors, Sly & The Family Stone, Lester Young, The Sons Of The Pioneers, Allman Brothers, The Last Poets, CCR, Max Romeo, Willie Nelson, The Marvelettes, Patti Smith Group, The Drifters, Ray Charles, Public Enemy, Bobby Womack, The Band, The Four Seasons, The Wailers, The Ronettes, Solomon Burke, The Louvin Brothers, Staples Singers (particularly their early gospel sides), Celia Cruz, Little Richard, Ann Peebles, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Professor Longhair, The Paragons, Huey "Piano" Smith & The Clowns, Gil Scott-Heron, Iggy, The Ink Spots, Martha & The Vandellas, Junior Murvin, EPMD, Billie Holiday, Django Reinhardt, Talking Heads, Barry White, The Impressions, Parliament, The Soul Stirrers, Little Walter, Ol' Dirty Bastard, The Four Tops, The Shirelles, OV Wright, Nina Simone, Neil Young, Mahmoud Ahmed, George Jones, Mos Def, Merle Haggard, Roger Miller, Lyn Collins, Los Zafiros, Cibo Matto, and many many many many more...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-09 00:10 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 9, 2009 00:01

The Ghost Of Good taste
Off the top of my head, some of my favorites include...

Hank Williams, The Meters, VU,James Brown, Waylon Jennings, Muddy Waters, Aretha, Desmond Dekker, Wu Tang, Zeppelin, Fats Domino, Robert Johnson, Funkadelic, Tom Waits, Nas, Elvis, Dylan, Al Green, Snooks Eaglin, Scratch Perry, Howlin' Wolf, Sade, Marvin, Lee Dorsey, The Who, Otis, Stooges, Chris Kenner, The Coasters, Ernie K Doe, Clash, Sam Cooke, Arsenio Rodriguez, Sensational Nightengales, Biggie, The Maytals, Dorothy Love Coates, Eddie Bo, Wilson Pickett, The Faces, The Temptations, Steely Dan, Chuck Berry, Lou Reed, Bowie, Barney Kessel, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Heptones, Curtis Mayfield, Sam & Dave, John Lee Hooker, Miles, Van Morrison, Booker T & The MGs, The Doors, Sly & The Family Stone, Lester Young, The Sons Of The Pioneers, Allman Brothers, The Last Poets, CCR, Max Romeo, Willie Nelson, The Marvelettes, Patti Smith Group, The Drifters, Public Enemy, Bobby Womack, The Band, The Four Seasons, The Wailers, The Ronettes, Solomon Burke, The Louvin Brothers, Staples Singers (particularly their early gospel sides), Celia Cruz, Little Richard, Ann Peebles, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Professor Longhair, The Paragons, Huey "Piano" Smith & The Clowns, Gil Scott-Heron, Iggy, The Ink Spots, Martha & The Vandellas, Junior Murvin, EPMD, Billie Holiday, Django Reinhardt, Talking Heads, Barry White, The Impressions, Parliament, The Soul Stirrers, Little Walter, Ol' Dirty Bastard, The Four Tops, The Shirelles, OV Wright, Nina Simone, Neil Young, Mahmoud Ahmed, George Jones, Mos Def, Merle Haggard, Roger Miller, Lyn Collins, Los Zafiros, Cibo Matto, and many many many many more...

you have a large top o' the head....

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 9, 2009 00:02

My list would be long and similar to many already posted, but it got me thinking about musical tastes I acquired thanks to the Stones. Idolizing the Stones as a youngster led me to Peter Tosh, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Otis Redding, John Lee Hooker. Keith's interviews led me to give Dylan a second chance, and now he is the only act that I have listened to as much as the Stones over my life. I used to really enjoy Aerosmith as well, thanks to the Stones grooming my ear for it. The Cheiftans Long Black Veil is a great example of an album I would not have bought but for the Stones, and remain in Love with. The Stones are not only my favorite band, they also led me to most of the other bands I like in the rock/reggae/ blues world.

Date: April 9, 2009 00:09

doubledoor
The Stones are not only my favorite band, they also led me to most of the other bands I like in the rock/reggae/ blues world.

I fully concur - and I would add country to the list of genres The Stones (and Keith in particular) led me to explore.

Date: April 9, 2009 00:11

StonesTod
you have a large top o' the head....

Gotta fit the big brain!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home