Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Should Mick, Keith and cie be inducted in the R&R hallof fame?
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 7, 2009 14:32

I wish there was no R&R Hall of Fame.It's silly.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2009 14:39

To a degree, yes, its become that way. Unfortunately its developed into a one-man egofest for Wenner.

In which case, Mick Jagger is a cert to get in eventually, as Wenner seems to be the only music critic to take him seriously as a solo artist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-07 15:54 by Gazza.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 7, 2009 15:22

Gazza
whitem8
Well it is ridiculous none the less, Madonna is NOT ROCK AND ROLL! !

Neither are most of the acts in it, to be fair - people take the name a bit too literally at times.

Its a popular music hall of fame acknowledging people (performers and non performers) who have shaped the music industry in a major way - it would be a bit of a stretch to call Billie Holliday, Hank Williams, Louis Armstrong and most of the countless Motown acts who are members as 'rock n roll' yet no one seems to object to their inclusion. And rightly so. Madonna was inducted at the same time as Leonard Cohen - I'm a big Cohen fan but I dont consider him any more a 'rock n roll' act than Madonna is.

Madonna has been hugely successful for over a quarter of a century, has sold hundreds of millions of records, is a global icon and is quite possibly the most recognisable music star on the planet. Regardless of one's personal taste regarding her or her music, there's no question that if there should be a hall of fame honouring the music industry, she should be in it.

Sorry Gazza, but as Iggy would say "blah, blah, blah..." Motown acts can be seen as tilting towards rock, and an inspiration for rock, and even rock in many of their performances... Far more so than Madonna. Leonard Cohen, he is a masterful lyricist and directly influenced a lot of rock folks. I hear what you are saying, but sorry, I can live with Motown and Leonard in the hall than Madonna. But that's me, I just can't stand her music... plus she ruined a great Brit director, who finally came out of his slump with Rockandrolla...funny he called it that????

Date: April 7, 2009 15:39

Redundant discussion, really. Bottom line is that the RnRHoF isnt strictly tied to rock n roll, and many of the inductees have links that are at best tenuous, or as you say 'can be seen as tilting'...(which is a matter of personal interpretation). Folks getting outraged because they dont care for a certain act's music or style of music is a bit pointless, as the whole thing is pretty meaningless anyway.

Date: April 7, 2009 15:43

Yeah true, but it feels good to bitch about Madonna, and the museum is still pretty coolcool smiley

Date: April 7, 2009 15:45

Lady Madge is making herself an easy target for that of late anyway without our help!

I'd like to see the museum. Doubt I ever will though.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 7, 2009 15:48

When Madonna got divorced, did she have to give back her phony British accent?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 7, 2009 15:49

Edith Grove
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, what is "cie?"

In Holland "Cie" is short for compagnie, used in the army. A "compagnie" is a part of a military unit, usually 70 to 200 soldiers lead by an officer with the rank of captain.
So Mick, Keith and cie, could be explained as Mick, Keith and company (being the other members of the band) I think the term "et all" (not military) is used in USA.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: April 7, 2009 15:49

Went a few years ago with some buddies. Drove from Detroit. Spent the weekend in Cleveland and had a blast. Great music scene there, and the museum was fun. Burn a fattie and walk around and see all the cool stuff from history. Would recommend it to any rock fan...

Date: April 7, 2009 15:52

baxlap
When Madonna got divorced, did she have to give back her phony British accent?

yes, but she was allowed to keep her muscles as part of the settlement.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 7, 2009 17:17

Edith Grove asked:
"Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, what is "cie?""
I meant ""and Co",the other musicians in the band beside Mick & Keith. Somebody said it was a stupid question to ask but when I watched Jeff Beck's induction although he was already in the Hall of fame with the Yardbirds, it made me think of the Stones. I will not be surprise if Mick Jagger'name comes up on the list of possible futur inductees.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2009 17:47

Gazza
Its a popular music hall of fame acknowledging people (performers and non performers) who have shaped the music industry in a major way - it would be a bit of a stretch to call Billie Holliday, Hank Williams, Louis Armstrong and most of the countless Motown acts who are members as 'rock n roll' yet no one seems to object to their inclusion.

i do. in fact, i object to the inclusion of anyone. i object to the very idea of a rock'n'roll hof - there's nothing so not rock'n'roll as a hof. there, i've spoken, but i don't feel any better for it....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 7, 2009 17:57

Perhaps there should be a list of who all is in the RNRHOF and go from there. Look at band acts and solo acts and figure out why, Jeff Beck for instance, someone would get in twice - cause his solo work sucks. But that's just me.

But to get back to the thread, hell no. They're already in as a band. With exception to a few people, nobody gives a shit about them one iota as solo acts. And for the few who do it's common knowledge that Keith's two albums are superior to Mick's 4 - and only one of Mick's is actually worth having.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2009 18:03

skipstone
Perhaps there should be a list of who all is in the RNRHOF and go from there. Look at band acts and solo acts and figure out why, Jeff Beck for instance, someone would get in twice - cause his solo work sucks. But that's just me.

for my money anyone truly deserving of being in the hall is prolly already there. so, i propose that instead of having future nominations and inductions, we have a yearly deduction event where the least-deserving, least associated with rocknroll members are one-by-one thrown off the island, as it were....

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: April 7, 2009 18:33

Hey Doug Sahm should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 7, 2009 21:24

the hall is a joke . where is KISS .why have they not been inducted ? maybe a little tiff with jann wener .like you have to write him a check to get in maybe? what a joke ,run dmc gets in for what doing there ghetto version of walk this way with joe perry and steven tyler ah really groundbreaking which fast forward to today has contributed so greatly to urban hip hop music wow pure garbage .prediction next class of inductes will include kanye west because he opened for the stones on the bang tour of select dates.i would not pay a penny to see there artifacts .you can go to any hardrock cafe(you could throw a rock and hit one where ever you live ,just like mcdonalds every city and town near you has one and the food might even be better what slop by the way ive been to them in l.a. ,new orleans ,ny, and atlantic city)and view there collection of artifacts and enjoy there fine cuisine.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 7, 2009 23:21

whats the deal with KISS not getting in? do you think simmons might be asking to get paid and thats holding things up?,I would not be surprised if thats the case

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 7, 2009 23:55

'Performer inductees were chosen by the 600 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists are eligible 25 years after the release of their first recording.'

It isn't one person's choice who is going to be inducted into the Hall of fame.

It seems that there are some who are totally against the idea of a Rock and Roll Hall of fame,others believe that the true important rockers are already in and no more is needed. Then there are people like me who think that rock and roll is continually changing and there is a need for new inductees. I have visited the R&R hall of fame several times.There is a lot to see, to read and to watch. Lot of interesting information if one is into knowing about Rock and Roll. Of course that doesn't compare to the experience of a real rock and roll show. But to me there is place both both.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: April 8, 2009 00:16

They certainly will be introduced in "Madame Tussaud" - Amsterdam square- sooner or later...cool smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 8, 2009 00:39

Muppet HiFi
Madonna's prettier than Iggy though.

Not by much.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2009 01:46

yeah get Andrew Loog Oldham to induct Mick & Keith for songwriting .... that'd be a night of madness ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 8, 2009 06:54

The reason KISS aren't in is because they aren't rock - they are imitation rock. They're the longest living joke in the history of rock.

Oh yeah - and they're terrible.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: April 8, 2009 11:51

Mmm ... during his speech James Hetfiled did the right thing by mentioning all the bands that deserve being inducted and won't because of stubborness or ignorance of the board: Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy and others.
One thing that shocked me is how much ass kissing was going on on that stage, I mean, I like Metallica but Flea's speech was as if he'd been speaking of Mozart or Beethoven.
Pete Townshend's induction of the Stones was way cooler.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 8, 2009 13:12

Enough said:

Date: April 8, 2009 15:17

Edith Grove
Enough said:
i agree 100%

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 8, 2009 16:16

T&A
for my money anyone truly deserving of being in the hall is prolly already there. so,

That is just not true. The biggest shame is that some of the obvious choices that have been ignored have died already. The first year the Small Faces eligible all four were still with us. Delaney Bramlett just passed away...and had to see Miles Davis get in before him?

If you're a guitar nut, I know Jeff Beck is God. But in my opinion it would have made more sense to put Chicago in...and I'm not even a fan.

Mick and Keith as solo acts? No. But it will probably happen anyway.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 8, 2009 16:27

Big Al
No.

Mick, Keith and co have already being inducted as The Rolling Strones. Their individual genuis, imo, is only realised as a unit. None of them are worthy to stand alone and receive such an acolade.

I'm with Al.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 8, 2009 16:32

The Hall has let in tooooooo many who have no business being there - while leaving out a few that need to be there. Just my opinion - but it's right.

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: April 8, 2009 16:52

The great Vincent Furnier should be there. NOW.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 8, 2009 17:07

loog droog
T&A
for my money anyone truly deserving of being in the hall is prolly already there. so,

That is just not true. The biggest shame is that some of the obvious choices that have been ignored have died already. The first year the Small Faces eligible all four were still with us. Delaney Bramlett just passed away...and had to see Miles Davis get in before him?

If you're a guitar nut, I know Jeff Beck is God. But in my opinion it would have made more sense to put Chicago in...and I'm not even a fan.

Mick and Keith as solo acts? No. But it will probably happen anyway.

hey, it's my money!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home