Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: History of Brown Sugar songwriting recording mixing thread
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 9, 2022 23:04

DandelionPowderman
VoodooLounge13
I had no idea that Chris Kimsey went back this far with the band!!! That's very interesting to me, and also makes me wonder why SW doesn't have a better sound than it does!!!

And is there no footage of them performing it at Altamont? I thought I'd read somewhere that it was debuted there?

There are recordings of it from Altamont.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 9, 2022 23:30

And Nico says Mick Taylor guitar

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 10, 2022 05:30

Small detail, but for some they like the details. Muscle Shoals Sound is actually in Sheffield, the hotel/motel the Stones stayed at was across the river in Florence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 05:34 by snoopy2.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2022 06:32

VoodooLounge13
I had no idea that Chris Kimsey went back this far with the band!!! That's very interesting to me, and also makes me wonder why SW doesn't have a better sound than it does!!!

Is it safe to say that you don't read liner notes?

Date: October 10, 2022 10:44

Taylor1

Just like the album's liner notes.

However, it's obvious that none of the three guitars are Taylor.

Date: October 10, 2022 13:23

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Okay , you know more than the Muscle Shoals producerNico and the Stones themselves who authorized the album notes. And show me where in any interview, Keith said he played all 3 guitars. it’s not obvious as you say that all three guitars are Keith. Show me another song before or after Brown sugar where Keith sounds exactly like all 3 guitars. It’s very possible Taylor was sounding if that’s the right word like one of those guitars.

Date: October 10, 2022 14:39

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Okay , you know more than the Muscle Shoals producerNico and the Stones themselves who authorized the album notes. And show me where in any interview, Keith said he played all 3 guitars. it’s not obvious as you say that all three guitars are Keith. Show me another song before or after Brown sugar where Keith sounds exactly like all 3 guitars. It’s very possible Taylor was sounding if that’s the right word like one of those guitars.

What would the the guy from Muscle Shoals know about what would wind up on an album two years later? We know that Taylor played on BS, but the final take got a Keith overdub instead.

For Keith’s playing try the 1969/1970-versions. Do you really believe that the acoustic is Taylor?

The closest I've heard Taylor sound like Keith’s rhythm guitar is Broken Hands, and it's not even in the same ballpark.

Do you reply for the sake of discussing, or do you really believe that Taylor played one of the two open G-guitars without slide to sound like Keith, after trying to lay down melodic stuff (re earlier takes)?

Re: Track Talk: Brown Sugar
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 10, 2022 15:01

We should remember that many parts and contributions played on tracks don't survive the final edit .

Hense , it's perfectly possible to have played on a track and not be on the record...especially with a band that worked in the studio like this one did.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 10, 2022 15:04

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Is it safe to say that you don't read liner notes?

I haven't read the liner notes for Sticky in about 25 or so years.

Date: October 10, 2022 15:05

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Okay , you know more than the Muscle Shoals producerNico and the Stones themselves who authorized the album notes. And show me where in any interview, Keith said he played all 3 guitars. it’s not obvious as you say that all three guitars are Keith. Show me another song before or after Brown sugar where Keith sounds exactly like all 3 guitars. It’s very possible Taylor was sounding if that’s the right word like one of those guitars.Does that sound like Keith on Hold on to Your Hat?.

What would the the guy from Muscle Shoals know about what would wind up on an album two years later? We know that Taylor played on BS, but the final take got a Keith overdub instead.

For Keith’s playing try the 1969/1970-versions. Do you really believe that the acoustic is Taylor?

The closest I've heard Taylor sound like Keith’s rhythm guitar is Broken Hands, and it's not even in the same ballpark.

Do you reply for the sake of discussing, or do you really believe that Taylor played one of the two open G-guitars without slide to sound like Keith, after trying to lay down melodic stuff (re earlier takes)?
As much as I respect your vast knowledge of the Stones I don’t think you can tell whether a great guitarist like Taylor could sound like on any particular track. Yeah Ronnie probably couldn’t play like John McLaughlin but Taylor could easily play like one of the two electric guitars on Brown Sugar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 15:06 by Taylor1.

Posted by: FP ()
Date: October 10, 2022 15:28

Great take from Marquee club show.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 10, 2022 15:46

Taylor1
[Taylor could easily play like one of the two electric guitars on Brown Sugar.

Not the open G part I think, at least not like Keith. Different players. The rest he could do. However, if you want to enjoy Taylor on Browns Sugar, better listen to the live versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 15:48 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:05

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Mathijs says on another thread the following:

Richards plays all guitars. What you hear is about five Keith parts. Left is the original open G track from Muscle Shoals, right is a rhythm track by Richards that is composed from three or 4 tracks. There's 2 guitars doing little one-string runs, a standard tuned guitar doing a Berry-like rhythm, and during the verses (woo!) there's an overdub of an open G tuned guitar. And Richards does the acoustic. But basically, Taylor doesn't play on the released version of BS.

Jimmy Johnson says:

They did some overdubbing later, of backgrounds, saxophone and acoustic guitar. But electric guitars, lead vocals, piano and even the percussion was done right there (in Muscle Shoals)— Jagger did that. Mick Taylor was on those sessions, of course, and during.

Nico has MT on guitar but notes his part is hardly audible on Brown Sugar IV.

Someone else on here said on here on another thread they did not have multitrack but Johnson says they had an 8 track so they could have done overdubs and it seems from Nico's site and Johnson's recollections that the main overdubs took place in Muscle Shoals and then the work at Olympic was for mixing and adding Keys' sax part.

I have no idea if the take of BS that have a Taylor solo were done off the floor or overdubs but it sounds like lots of guitar went down on tape. This was then mixed and possibly edited in Olympic. If both Taylor and Richards were playing guitar when the basic track was recorded it is likely that Taylor is on the track as bleed into other instruments, given the volume they recorded guitar at. On the other hand if they just recorded Keith with bass and drums with Taylor overdubbing ideas over the basic track then it is likely Keith mixed most of his guitar parts over Taylor's.

If there are 5 or so guitars don't see any reason why Taylor is not playing the standard tuned rhythm part Mathijs mentions. I also don't see any reason why Taylor could not play an open G part mirroring Keith on the basic track. After all Taylor played a rhythm part on B*tch which Keith came up with. He had only recently joined and was probabaly happy to do what he was asked.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:12

Take 1 apparently, not sure if the takes I am listing are actually takes or mixes of the basic track, I assume the latter.

There are clearly two rhythm guitar parts playing similar parts along with Keith's famous lead parts which are an overdub. From about 3.00 minutes there are some snakey lead parts that could be MT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 17:13 by FP.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:16

Brown Sugar (take 2,3,4) False starts and then what sounds pretty close to the final mix with sax.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:20

Mix with some nice jangling arpeggios, the posted says it is MT but I think it is KR. Not sure if the arpeggio guitar is double tracked or a 12 string as sounds a bit chorusey.

However Taylor solo at 1.50 and 3.20. Pleasant but not his greatest IMO and can understand why they were removed.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:24

FP
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Mathijs says on another thread the following:

Richards plays all guitars. What you hear is about five Keith parts. Left is the original open G track from Muscle Shoals, right is a rhythm track by Richards that is composed from three or 4 tracks. There's 2 guitars doing little one-string runs, a standard tuned guitar doing a Berry-like rhythm, and during the verses (woo!) there's an overdub of an open G tuned guitar. And Richards does the acoustic. But basically, Taylor doesn't play on the released version of BS.

Jimmy Johnson says:

They did some overdubbing later, of backgrounds, saxophone and acoustic guitar. But electric guitars, lead vocals, piano and even the percussion was done right there (in Muscle Shoals)— Jagger did that. Mick Taylor was on those sessions, of course, and during.

Nico has MT on guitar but notes his part is hardly audible on Brown Sugar IV.

Someone else on here said on here on another thread they did not have multitrack but Johnson says they had an 8 track so they could have done overdubs and it seems from Nico's site and Johnson's recollections that the main overdubs took place in Muscle Shoals and then the work at Olympic was for mixing and adding Keys' sax part.

I have no idea if the take of BS that have a Taylor solo were done off the floor or overdubs but it sounds like lots of guitar went down on tape. This was then mixed and possibly edited in Olympic. If both Taylor and Richards were playing guitar when the basic track was recorded it is likely that Taylor is on the track as bleed into other instruments, given the volume they recorded guitar at. On the other hand if they just recorded Keith with bass and drums with Taylor overdubbing ideas over the basic track then it is likely Keith mixed most of his guitar parts over Taylor's.

If there are 5 or so guitars don't see any reason why Taylor is not playing the standard tuned rhythm part Mathijs mentions. I also don't see any reason why Taylor could not play an open G part mirroring Keith on the basic track. After all Taylor played a rhythm part on B*tch which Keith came up with. He had only recently joined and was probabaly happy to do what he was asked.

The other rhythm part (whether it is fragmented with overdubs or not) is also an open G-guitar.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:24

Yet another mix, with acoustic guitar and some nice alternate Keith licks over the intro riff. At 1.40 there is a peculiar solo that sounds like it is through a Leslie speaker.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:25

Brown Sugar from Gimme Shelter documentary with extra Keith lead lines.

Date: October 10, 2022 17:36

Listening to all these takes I think that firstly there were lots of guitar parts recorded, the crazy Leslie speak solo and various Keith and Taylor solo ideas shows how much experimentation there was to get the vision Keith had in his head for the track.

It would be interesting to know for certain if all the guitars were recorded at Muscle Shoals. I would assume Keith's main rhythm track, which I think stays consistent through the mixes, was kept. Johnson seems pretty certain that they got the sound they wanted for that track in the video I posted before and is the heart of the track.

I then imagine both Taylor and Richards overdubbed various ideas and everything was shipped off for sorting at Olympic. I am unsure if Keith recorded his acoustic at MS but Nico says there is an early take with "oh baby" spoken at end which is from the acoustic track so was probably in Keith's mind from the beginning. Once Keith had what he wanted with the guitar then Keys added his sax.

One of the takes above is listed as being mistakenly added to an early pressing of Hot Rocks. I also think that there is a slightly different mix on the Rolled Gold album, though I need to dig it out and have a listen. From what I remember it has a different feel to the second rhythm part.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 10, 2022 17:51

FP
Mix with some nice jangling arpeggios, the posted says it is MT but I think it is KR. Not sure if the arpeggio guitar is double tracked or a 12 string as sounds a bit chorusey.

However Taylor solo at 1.50 and 3.20. Pleasant but not his greatest IMO and can understand why they were removed.

That's pretty close to the Altamont version which has the same Arpeggios, but Berry rhythm during the verses (Richards plays lead). I think safe to say it's Taylor on that version playing the arpeggios.

FWIW, the Mick Taylor official Facebook page said he played on the released version.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 10, 2022 17:55

FP
Listening to all these takes I think that firstly there were lots of guitar parts recorded, the crazy Leslie speak solo and various Keith and Taylor solo ideas shows how much experimentation there was to get the vision Keith had in his head for the track.

It would be interesting to know for certain if all the guitars were recorded at Muscle Shoals. I would assume Keith's main rhythm track, which I think stays consistent through the mixes, was kept. Johnson seems pretty certain that they got the sound they wanted for that track in the video I posted before and is the heart of the track.

I then imagine both Taylor and Richards overdubbed various ideas and everything was shipped off for sorting at Olympic. I am unsure if Keith recorded his acoustic at MS but Nico says there is an early take with "oh baby" spoken at end which is from the acoustic track so was probably in Keith's mind from the beginning. Once Keith had what he wanted with the guitar then Keys added his sax.

One of the takes above is listed as being mistakenly added to an early pressing of Hot Rocks. I also think that there is a slightly different mix on the Rolled Gold album, though I need to dig it out and have a listen. From what I remember it has a different feel to the second rhythm part.

It would be nice to just have the versions categorized. There is a guy over on Gearspace that has the original Muscle Shoals multitrack and I believe he said it's the version released on Hot Rocks by accident.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 10, 2022 17:58

Fvck me, this is a great discussion. I’ve NOTHING but admiration for all of you who can discern and discect this stuff so wonderfully and earnestly. I just listen. YOU HEAR ! I’ve got to up my game.

Rod

Date: October 10, 2022 18:04

TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
[Taylor could easily play like one of the two electric guitars on Brown Sugar.

Not the open G part I think, at least not like Keith. Different players. The rest he could do. However, if you want to enjoy Taylor on Browns Sugar, better listen to the live versions.

I agree, I mainly listen to live stuff now having worn out the studio versions. In particular I think some of the live versions of BS smoke the studio version.

Travelin Man says he emailed the old MT website and the response was MT did play on studio take but no idea who replied, doubt it was Mick!

At this point I don't really care if MT is on BS, it's all guess work really. I like to think he is, why not who cares, believe what you wantsmiling smiley

I have to sit down and work out myself if any of the rhythm parts on the studio take of BS are standard tuning (not the solos which are standard). I always felt the left hand side boogie verse parts (which I think are the parts Mathijs says are standard) are standard tuning. Also the chords over the bridge. I have to have a deep listen with my guitar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 18:06 by FP.

Date: October 10, 2022 18:12

(not the solos which are standard)

Which solos? There is just a sax solo. The licks are in open G. Try playing the lick right before the chorus in standard and make it sound like Keith smiling smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 10, 2022 19:14

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Brown Sugar
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver know he's doin' alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight
Brown sugar, how come you taste so good
Brown sugar, just like a young girl should

Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wond'rin where it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doin' alright
You should-a-heard him just around midnight
Brown sugar, how come you taste so good now
Brown sugar, just like a young girl should now, yeah

Ahhh, Get it on, brown sugar, how come you taste so good, baby
Ahhh, Got me in tears now, brown sugar, just like a black girl should, yeah

Now, now I bet your mama was a Tent Show queen
And all the boyfriends were sweet sixteen
I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like
You should have heard me just around midnight

Brown sugar, how come you taste so good, baby
Ahhh, ma, my, Brown sugar, just like a young girl should, yeah

I said yeah, yeah, yeah, whooh, how come you,
how come you taste so good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, whooh,
just like a, just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, whooh

There are many great lines in this song, "I bet your mama was a tent show queen" is my favorite.

"Ahhh, Got me in tears now," is very emotional.

"House boy knows that he's doin' alright
You should-a-heard him just around midnight" - It sounds like w wild time!

"Lady of the house wond'rin where it's gonna stop?" - my favorite line of the sing relaying the scene is out of control, frantic!

Date: October 10, 2022 19:29

DandelionPowderman
(not the solos which are standard)

Which solos? There is just a sax solo. The licks are in open G. Try playing the lick right before the chorus in standard and make it sound like Keith smiling smiley

Yes I mean the licks, I will try them in open G thankssmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 19:29 by FP.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 10, 2022 20:15

[www.prosoundweb.com]

In The Studio: Recording The Rolling Stones “Brown Sugar” Sessions
November 21, 2020

Bruce Borgerson
Reconstructing the night that produced a rock song for the ages...

full article

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 10, 2022 21:38

bitusa2012
Fvck me, this is a great discussion. I’ve NOTHING but admiration for all of you who can discern and discect this stuff so wonderfully and earnestly. I just listen. YOU HEAR ! I’ve got to up my game.

I’m enjoying it as well. I’ve visited the studio a number of times and depending on whom you’re listening to the little tidbits of the Stones time in the Shoals vary slightly but not enough to change the overall story.. However no-one I’ve spoken to goes into the depth of the guitars/who’s playing what like they do on this thread! Fun stuff

Date: October 10, 2022 22:10

exilestones
[www.prosoundweb.com]

In The Studio: Recording The Rolling Stones “Brown Sugar” Sessions
November 21, 2020

Bruce Borgerson
Reconstructing the night that produced a rock song for the ages...

full article

Thanks for sourcing the full article!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home