Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor North American Dates
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 9, 2009 15:21

Amsterdamned
tatters
pmk251
Even as a Taylor fan I have to say that he makes me nervous. Historically, he can be extraordinarily lazy. I would probably go see him, but really do not want to hear another version of Secret Affair, Twisted Sister....etc. Will he release a CD? Will he play something different? Will he display some inspiration and demonstrate that something moves him anymore? Is there anything creatively going on with him that his fans can tap in to? He does not put on a "show," so to speak, so the pleasures are subtler. I expect very competent playing with flashes of inspiration. But I'd like to feel that he cares, but I'm not sure he does anymore.

Boxing promoters will sometimes withhold the purse of a fighter who doesn't put forth enough effort. Maybe club owners should put a special clause in Taylor's contracts that say that if he doesn't show up on time, doesn't play for a certain amount of time, doesn't include a certain percentage of Stones material in his setlist, and doesn't refrain, in general, from behaving like a jerk, he doesn't get paid. I think he WOULD care about that.

If you all don't get it:He retired 35 years ago and plays for fun and his love for music.
He's not interested in making money or stealing the show anymore.

Sorry. I didn't realize he plays for free. If that's the case, I guess he can just do whatever he wants and it'll be okay by me.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 9, 2009 16:54

Do we have any idea as to when Tickets go on sale and how much they'll cost??

Date: March 11, 2009 18:06

wow - so far, 2009 is a lucky year for me in terms of solo tours. Saw Ian McLagan last week, and now going to see Taylor in July. Who's next??? C'mon Keith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 11, 2009 18:18

Only problem I've got is his setlist - look's like it's still the same...
Too bad he hasn't put out some new material... He'll probably come out to
Calif as he has so many friends out here (Mayall, Carla Olsen,etc)

On the fence right now if I'll go - could some of the people who go see him on
the East Coast give a rundown on what songs he performs and how the shows were??

thanks - MLC

PS - OPEN G - here's your chance... go see him!!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 11, 2009 18:30

Have I just read that right? MLC might not go see MT???? I'm flabbergasted!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 11, 2009 18:51

<If you all don't get it: He retired 35 years ago and plays for fun and his love for music. He's not interested in making money or stealing the show anymore.>

That would be nice to believe, but it is contrary to the facts. When he has money he usually does nothing, love of music or not. After the Stones...a few years off. After the release of his solo album...a few years off. After the Dylan tour, take a year or so off. He seems to work when he needs to. I have heard from various sources at different times that MT's funds were at the time...limited. When he is not taking time off, has has stayed busier than most people realize with studio work and his various bands. When he needs money he works. That is not criticism. Don't we all?

Date: March 13, 2009 16:09

Say does anyone know the easiest way to get Mr. Taylor's autograph??! This concert - assuming hopefully that I am able to obtain tix to the NYC gig - is going to be the highlight of my year!! His, Ronnie's, and obviously Brian's are the only signatures I'm missing, and I definitely don't wanna make the long drive down there only to miss this golden opportunity!! Does he generally have time before or after the show when he might sign something??? Any help would be most appreciated!

PS - I just finally got my last missing Mick Taylor item in the mail yesterday...Stranger in This Town. Man, Jumpin' Jack Flash never sounded so good!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 13, 2009 16:46

I have no idea. You might just ask him. When we did our show in Amsterdam last March, I just walked up and started talking to him. He seemed a bit of the quiet type.

CBII

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 13, 2009 16:47

pmk251
<If you all don't get it: He retired 35 years ago and plays for fun and his love for music. He's not interested in making money or stealing the show anymore.>

That would be nice to believe, but it is contrary to the facts. When he has money he usually does nothing, love of music or not. After the Stones...a few years off. After the release of his solo album...a few years off. After the Dylan tour, take a year or so off. He seems to work when he needs to. I have heard from various sources at different times that MT's funds were at the time...limited. When he is not taking time off, has has stayed busier than most people realize with studio work and his various bands. When he needs money he works. That is not criticism. Don't we all?

"Don't we all" --em, well not exactly.
Witness Mr Dylan, for one.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 13, 2009 16:49

he always (from my experiences) is very generous with his time outside the venue after the gig. he'll talk, sign autographs - let you take a picture with him, etc. much like mac....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-13 16:49 by T&A.

Date: March 13, 2009 16:57

Thanks T&A! Does he generally leave right after the gig, or does he hang around a bit?? I am sooooooooooooooo stoked for this! I really hope I can get tickets. To me, he is the greatest guitarist that ever lived, although I must admit I'd never have discovered him if it wasn't for the Stones, but now that I have............Man, there's no ONE that comes close to his licks. Just simply fin amazin!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 13, 2009 17:00

maybe his practices have changed in the few years since he was last out west, here...but if you wait outside the show, he normally appears within a short time (10 minutes?) and generally there are a handful of folks waiting to meet him...have something ready to sign and a camera handy - he may not stay around long... ask him how that CD with Bonnie Raitt is coming along, eh? last time i talked with him it was almost ready to go! ;-)

Date: March 13, 2009 18:27

Man, I cannot WAIT!!!! Thanks T&A!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 13, 2009 18:46

I'm thrilled. I saw him years ago in Buffalo, at the same Tralf jazz club. Not remotely personable or a showman, but a great player.

Maybe he's inspired. Playing 20 shows in a month is not something you do if you are not into it.

Date: March 13, 2009 21:48

I thought about goin to the Buffalo show - I'm about midway between Buffalo and NYC here in New Hartford (a suburb of Utica), but I chose NYC because well, because it's NYC, and I'd have an easier time of finding pal to go with me!

Date: March 13, 2009 23:05

Voodoo - Lately he's been doing a offical meet & greet after his gigs..
At least he did out here in Calif. back in 2001 & 2002. They should announce
that in the beginning..

Albett - guess that show's I'm not a complete fanantic...

MLC

Date: March 14, 2009 15:07

VoodooLounge13
Say does anyone know the easiest way to get Mr. Taylor's autograph??! This concert - assuming hopefully that I am able to obtain tix to the NYC gig - is going to be the highlight of my year!! His, Ronnie's, and obviously Brian's are the only signatures I'm missing, and I definitely don't wanna make the long drive down there only to miss this golden opportunity!! Does he generally have time before or after the show when he might sign something??? Any help would be most appreciated!

PS - I just finally got my last missing Mick Taylor item in the mail yesterday...Stranger in This Town. Man, Jumpin' Jack Flash never sounded so good!

As long as it's something he played on, he'll sign any piece of crap you shove in his face, but if you want to actually impress him a little, and not have him totally hating your guts, ask him to sign one of his SOLO albums.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: March 14, 2009 21:22

Voodoo,

Mick T is actually very nice when approached reasonably. Comment on the show. As far as autographs, I usually bring a solo album or 2 and a Stones album to get signed. Good luck.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 14, 2009 22:49

glimmertwin50
Voodoo,

Mick T is actually very nice when approached reasonably. Comment on the show. As far as autographs, I usually bring a solo album or 2 and a Stones album to get signed. Good luck.

I see your point but how do you enjoy a show with an album or two under your arms or between your legs? Even worse if he splits immediately after.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 14, 2009 22:59

Same way you enjoy it trying to hold a recorder and being cool and quiet at the same time(or so I've been told!)

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 15, 2009 06:19

I would not discourage anyone from seeing MT. I am very familiar with what he has been doing for the last decade or so and would like to see some variation. But that's me. You will be seeing some fine, fine guitar playing. As for the "meet and greet"...He is moody. I suggest being polite. I do not suggest asking him why he left the Stones (lol). Sometimes he is touchy about signing stuff, especially Stones stuff, sometimes not. He has always been nice to me and my wife. In '99 we took a trip back east and followed him around from NYC to Virginia. He hated playing the club in NYC. He enoyed playing out doors in Atlantic City. I thought he played an inspired show in Springfield. After the VA show we said our good-bye (we were heading home) and Taylor left the line, caught up with us as we headed out and thanked us for making the trip. For a while there on the west coast we were a familiar face to him and the band. He can be very gracious, appreciative and almost shy. And sometimes not. As I write this I'm thinking I WOULD like to hear him play again. It's been a while. GAMH, anyone?

Date: March 15, 2009 15:28

pmk251
As for the "meet and greet"...He is moody. I suggest being polite. I do not suggest asking him why he left the Stones (lol). Sometimes he is touchy about signing stuff, especially Stones stuff, sometimes not.

Last time I saw him (2001) we were told that he would not sign any Stones stuff. Of course, Stones stuff was all anyone brought for him to sign, so he had to sign it, but you could see he hated doing it. Only two people had him sign something other than a Stones album. One guy had some photos of Mick that he had taken at an earlier gig, and my wife had him sign a vinyl copy of his first solo album. My wife was the only person he even bothered to LOOK at. It was the only non-Stones album anyone asked him to sign that night.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: March 21, 2009 23:39

pmk251 is right - Mick T can be moody. Keep in mind he is there to play a gig. He is more interested in talking about the show then any Stones questions. I've met him a number of times and I have never talked to him about the Stones. I always bring his solo CDs and a Stones CD to have signed - I've never had a problem and he has always engaged me in conversation. I think he's basically a nice guy who sometimes must feel trapped in the Stones vortex with people continually asking him about the Stones. This is not a criticism of anyone, just an observation.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 27, 2009 04:35

anyone have any info on tickets?? BB Kings doesnt even list the show on thier web site...

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 27, 2009 04:49

maybe i'll take a roadtrip out to colorado for the show there? anyone going to that?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 27, 2009 05:58

This is from MT's sight. Not much confirmed officially. But bound to come.:

March 26 - Braunschweig, Meier's Music Hall

March 27 - Heidenheim, Festhalle

March 28 - Bonn, Harmonie (WDR Rockpalast)

April 5th Bournemouth
"THE OLD FIRE STATION" tickets 10 adv, 12 door
ticketline 01202 422 210 or from ticketweb

April 17th Suppuro,Japan

April 18th Billboard Club Osaka, Japan

April 20th Billboard Club Tokyo (2 shows being filmed )

April 21st Billboard Club Tokyo 2 Shows

May 2nd, "Cheese and Grain" Market Yard
Frome, United Kingdom BA111BE Order Tickets

May 16th
Highlands Festival, Amersfoort Holland - www.highlandsfestival.nl
festival with:
BUDDY GUY - JETHRO TULL - MICK TAYLOR - SONNY LANDRETH
EDDY CLEARWATER - ILENE BARNES among others!

North American Dates :

July 16 - Cisco Ottawa Blues Fest, Canada
July 18 - Windsor Blues Fest, Canada
July 19 - London Blues Fest, Canada
August 9th - Guitar Town, Copper Mountain, Colorado
More US Dates to be confirmed & posted as soon as available

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 27, 2009 14:33

sweetcharmedlife

April 5th Bournemouth

April 17th Suppuro,Japan

May 16th
festival with:

North American Dates :

anything from his other senses?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 27, 2009 14:51

"Albett - guess that show's I'm not a complete fanantic..."

MLC, I do hope that tongues firmly in ones cheek!

;-)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 27, 2009 18:05

StonesTod
sweetcharmedlife

April 5th Bournemouth

April 17th Suppuro,Japan

May 16th
festival with:

North American Dates :

anything from his other senses?

I miss T & A.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 27, 2009 18:44

Albett - Well my tongue's firmly inside my mouth... but the Stones still need
to invite Mr. Taylor to sit-in one night...

ha ha ha - MLC

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home