Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor - "In a Silent Way", live 2009
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 13, 2009 19:02

he played a cool song called "In a Silent Way" in Osaka, live 2009.
is it one of the outtakes from his solo albums, or maybe Miles Davis cover? ;-) I had Miles' album somewhere but can't find it now.
nevertheless the track is fun to listen to.

Re: Mick Taylor - "In a Silent Way", live 2009
Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 13, 2009 19:41

The song is the title track from a great Miles Davis album from 1969, written by his keyboardist Joe Zawinul. Davis radically deconstructed the song for the album much to Joe's distaste.

Taylor's version from the other night only vaguely resembles the Davis version, if at all. Sounds more raga than anything.

Listen here:

[www.bigozine4.com]

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 13, 2009 19:45

sneaks into an allman bros setlist on occasion, too....

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 13, 2009 20:03

thanks
that's a really good idea to include a jazz tune in a blues show - works well!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 13, 2009 23:31

Thanks a lot for the upload! The sound was stellar and certainly worth a listen.

My impressions are pretty much what I wrote in that other M.T. thread: he seems to be in good spirits and he plays a good guitar (though not quite as lively and flowing as in '72). But his singing is so-so, his band is mediocre and his setlist has been very similar for ten years. I still think he would be so great with Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wyman around him, and the Stones catalogue to pick all the songs from. smiling smiley

His cover of No Expectations is interesting and has some qualities the studio version hasn't got. But I still think it's way behind the '68 original.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 14, 2009 00:35

Only the last part of Taylor`s playing is the theme of Miles Davis "In A Silent Way", not only a great but one of his groundbreaking records. Jazzrock was born. The guitar on this record was played by the young John McLaughlin.
If you don`t know Miles` work or jazz or jazzrock start right here (..and get addicted...). Thanx again for the upload, Amused!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 14, 2009 10:34

Credit where credit is due:

I think the first player who delivered a guitar arrangement of this tune was Carlos Santana, check out "Fillmore-Last Days"

I'm not so much into Santana, but I like that version.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 14, 2009 11:10

The recording session of "In A Silent Way" was in February 1969 and the guitar -lines by McLaughlin were totally improvised like they used to.

Date: May 14, 2009 11:18

That Miles-album is really great! I have it on vinyl, fantastic stuff...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 14, 2009 18:43

I have not heard this show, but have no doubt this was the extended intro to YGM. Taylor has played an extended intro in various forms for years. He has also made a habit of including snippets from various songs throughout his performances. Layla, Evita and many, many more. It's almost a name that tune game. I had no idea there was a Miles Davis melody in there. Interesting. I thought he was going with that almost trademark "eastern" sound because of the local.

Taylor was in a jazz-rock mode back in '87 or around there. He should have explored it and released a album in that mood. It's nice music to put on in the morning.

I've been told Taylor is a fan of McLaughlin's playing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 14, 2009 23:07

<I've been told Taylor is a fan of McLaughlin's playing.>

Not a bad taste at all!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home