Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Very OT: Opera.. Thoughts?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 6, 2009 23:57

Easy to ridicule old Baboon. Go ahead & kick me all over....
But I feel like a de Niro-mafioso character when I enjoy Italian opera.
Here with the Swedish vocal giant: Jussi Björling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 23:58 by Baboon Bro.

Re: Very OT: Opera.. Thoughts?
Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: May 7, 2009 00:05

I can never get into it but there is no denying the vocal talents.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 7, 2009 08:14

Opera? Well Carmina Burana is stunning! They used a lot of the music on that for Excalibur. Great performance peice.

Posted by: mryapp ()
Date: May 7, 2009 08:18

Ok, can we bring back Krokus?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 7, 2009 09:14

Yes you got a fan of Opera here too, and I still often listen to my Jussi Björling records. My three favorite-operas goes like:

1/ Don Giovanni - Mozart
2/ Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg - Wagner
3/ Othello - Verdi

2 1 2 0

Date: May 7, 2009 09:17

mryapp
Ok, can we bring back Krokus?

mryapp, check back my postin' history.. smiling smiley I like about everything there is in music, let go not too keen on jazz nor newromantic synth-pop.

Just wait & see when the ESC starts.... winking smiley
(just kiddin', will be workin by then, perhaps at the main final spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Date: May 7, 2009 11:55

I too have a fairly diverse music collection. However, it does not include country or opera. The closest to country I have ever been is Allison Krauss, and only then did I start respecting her for "Raising Sand" with Robert Plant.

Opera, I simply can't take. It is my theory that no one really likes opera,they just pretend to in an effort to appear refined.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 7, 2009 11:58

Bismillah? NO!

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: May 7, 2009 12:08

Mryapp: "It is my theory that no one really likes opera,they just pretend to in an effort to appear refined."

Well that's a rubbish theory! I, for one, really like opera, lots of it, and actually, opera is not very refined in general. It is the most bombastic part of classical music, and anyone can get a blast from a Vivaldi Aria, from the Queen of the Night aria in the Magic Flute or from La Traviata. Nothing intellectual about it.

Date: May 7, 2009 12:16

otonneau

It is the most bombastic part of classical music, and anyone can get a blast from a Vivaldi Aria, from the Queen of the Night aria in the Magic Flute or from La Traviata. Nothing intellectual about it.

No, anyone can't get a blast out of it. Its not for me, just for posers and pretenders.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 7, 2009 12:34

very appropriate name mryap, yap, yap, yap, yap....

You know you make yourself sound pretty shallow to label other's tastes as being pretenders and posers. Some opera is stunning and incredibly beautiful. And has influence many a rock star....Queen anyone???

Anyhow, no use in trying to explain it to a yapper.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 7, 2009 12:37

I LOVE Jussi Björling, but I hate Wagner intensely, and sometimes enjoy Italian opera. Mozart's come up with a couple of good ones.
But mostly - opera is very comic. When I see someone getting stabbed on stage, and continues his singing for 15 minutes, I get all giggly...
I once saw the Meistersinger von Nürnberg at the Acropolis in Nice. I believe it lasted for over 5 hours. Knut Skram sang the leading role. I was asleep in the balcony for most of the opera and woke up when the cleaning lady arrived... Very embarrassing.
But thanks for posting Jussi. I inhereted some of my dad's Björling records (78s) and his entire collection of the early Stones singles and albums. All very dear memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-07 12:44 by Addicted.

Date: May 7, 2009 12:41

mryapp
otonneau

It is the most bombastic part of classical music, and anyone can get a blast from a Vivaldi Aria, from the Queen of the Night aria in the Magic Flute or from La Traviata. Nothing intellectual about it.

No, anyone can't get a blast out of it. Its not for me, just for posers and pretenders.

Yeah, hell, yeah: I am mostly known for my homies as a Pretender and a Poser. Spot on! grinning smiley Revealed!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 7, 2009 13:33

Baboon Bro's got an open mind. When it comes to music, that's a good thing, cause it guarantees you don't miss out on a golden moment - even though some might say "this or that" is not real music. Or not good enough. OK, so they - the narrowminded - are the losers. Not Baboon Bro.

So why am I not so open minded about Wagner? I've really tried listening to Wagner, but I can't bear it. It's pompous. It's way too heavy. And also nationalistic. Nationalism is something I intensely detest. Just the thought of one nation and it's inhabitants are superior to another - makes me sick. And through history it's led to a lot of nasty wars and conflicts. We don't need that.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: May 7, 2009 13:45

I'm not a huge opera fan myself, but "Mefistopheles" was the most amazing production I have seen on a stage anywhere.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 7, 2009 14:43

Absolutely love it.

Have many works of Puccini, Verdi, and one of my favorites by Mascagni "Cavalleria Rusticana".

Date: May 7, 2009 18:20

Can't beat Callas.

...and, yeah, Carmina Burana is a wonderful thing.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: May 7, 2009 18:31

Like most people I tend to like certain moments or arias from particular operas but as far as sitting through a whole production goes then i would find that a bit of a trial to be honest. Wagner - that nationalistic argument always seems to divide people but Ride of the Valkyries is one hell of a stirring tune.

Andy

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 7, 2009 20:34

Can't stand the stuff myself

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 7, 2009 20:49

I like rock operas

Queen's Night at the Opera

and the Opera browser

but actual opera, not so much

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 7, 2009 20:52

When I was a kid I was in the choir for Handels Messiah at Bristol Colston Hall. I'm not a huge opera fan probably because I can't understand what they're singing about but I can appreciate the talent, the music and the singing.

Perhaps I need to raid my Dads cd collection and get myself an education.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 7, 2009 22:55

I never liked Opera and I heard a lot because my father loved it I did like as kid this tune but I think it's from an operette

And my mother was a fan of this guy "Mario Lanza"

Date: May 7, 2009 23:12

Since the Masochist B. Bro doesnt sense himself 'nuff kicke on,
he takes this opportuniy topost a Hungarian piece,
yet its from Anna Karenina... My paralel house god rock vocalist Gyula Vikidál
is actually an opera singer Mondag-Friday, so to speak.
Here as an Ortodox pope in The Wedding

In English translation by Derek Richards

Date: May 8, 2009 01:05

I have seen 3 operas during the past 12 months – all German. I thought they were excellent, great costuming. I wouldn’t be surprised if a rock opera – or rather musical – is made re the Stones… I saw the Janis Joplin musical last yr and it was very good. I’ve heard ‘Jersey Boys’ is really good.
So, it probably will happen – just not sure which era – guessing ‘60s will be the focus = more drama. (Altamont).

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:04

Opera, I simply can't take. It is my theory that no one really likes opera,they just pretend to in an effort to appear refined.[/quote]

Yeah, a bit like jazz!

Date: May 14, 2009 17:15

I wouldnt never ever pretend to like anything.
I generally dont like opera, but sometimes I get carried away,
like with Puccini, Mozart or bombastic national hymns-type opera pieces.

I lurv feelings, thats why I like South Europe & the Fenno-Ugirc
as well as the Irish sentiment.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 14, 2009 21:27

opera rocks ,i have been to the met and seen verdi's il travatore , puccini's la tosca,bizet's carmen,mozart the marriage of figaro,and wagner tristan un isolde .no subtitles it is very distracting .learn the plot before hand and go and just take it all in .a very satisfying way to spend an evening .lastly sung in the original language not ENGLISH.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: May 15, 2009 00:11

Have several !!! versions of Jacques Offenbachs "Les Contes d'Hoffmann" (Hoffmanns Erzählungen) on cd and vinyl.

Years ago I read "Peter Schlemihls wundersame Geschichte" (Peter Schlemihls shadowless man) of Chamisso. And "Peter" appears in a book of E.T.A. Hoffmann also... and .. Offenbach composed his opera where "Peter" also appears.

You see.. inspirations and "cover versions" appeared over 100 years ago .

I was never interestet in operas before that. But I came on this way to the opera, classical music. And since then some - not many - but important for me -cd's and vinyl are part of my collection. You could not live without it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-15 00:15 by mariannerl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home