Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: My Top-3 Jimmy Page Session Man Moments
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2013 20:53

In 1965, Fontana Records offered Jimmy Page and drummer, Bobby Graham, the opportunity to record and release their own solo single. Here's Jimmy's effort, She Just Satisfies. Basically, a re-working of the Kinks' Revenge, it features Page on bass, guitar and harmonica, with the then current squeeze, Jackie De Shannon on backing-vocals duty. Oh, and quite possibly, Page's only ever vocal on record!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-18 20:56 by Big Al.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:25

andrewt
My personal fave, nice solo in this one:

This is a great song by none other than John Martyn's future spouse, Beverley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-18 21:26 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:29

Silver Dagger
andrewt
My personal fave, nice solo in this one:

This is a great song by none other than John Martyn's future spouse, Beverley.

Here's the A-side.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 19, 2013 06:00

Great thread this. There is a cool interview in the Mojo 20th anniversary edition with Jimmy (and other musicians) concerning what they were about when they turned 20 which for Page was in 1964. An interesting read about his session experiences during that year..

Date: November 19, 2013 06:07

This here track is the B-side of that Jimmy Page solo single, She Just Satisfies. It's an instrumental titled, Keep Moving. Jimmy Page is featured on harmonica, guitar, bass and backing-vocals - again, with Jackie De Shannon supplying some vocals. I'm guessing the drummer is Bobby Graham.

Date: November 19, 2013 06:10

Page’s involvement with Joe Cocker on With A Little Help From My Friends is well documented, but four years prior to those ’68 recordings, Page was helping out Cocker on his debut release: a cover of the Beatles’ I’ll Cry Instead :-

Date: November 19, 2013 07:27

Dating from late 1962 and predating his career as a session-musician, this debut release by Neil Christian and The Crusaders, features a 19 year-old Jimmy Page making his, though be it, inaudible, recording debut. As is fairly well-known, Page was a member of the group for a spell and the story has it that he returned briefly to help them cut the record :-

The Road To Love - Neil Christian and The Crusaders

Date: November 21, 2013 05:29

This 1965 cover-version of The Rolling Stones’ (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction is by French recording artist, Eddy Mitchell. The track features some terrific guitar- work by both Big Jim Sullivan and Jimmy Page. Not entirely sure whose contributing what, though! Damn good version, I think.

Date: November 21, 2013 07:26

Without really intending to stray too far off-topic, here is a rarity: a televised live performance of the Jeff Beck-Jimmy Page incarnation of the fabulous Yardbirds. It is from French television and dates from mid-late 1966. It’s fairly soon after Pages’ joining of the group, as he is featured on the bass guitar.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 21, 2013 11:44

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Now I have been thinking about this for over 4 years ...

Date: November 22, 2013 05:23

Circa 1967-68, French pop sensation, Johnny Hallyday spent some time recording in London. He hired the services of, amongst others, The Small Faces and The Herds’ Peter Frampton to act as his back-up. However, the two tracks I have posted below are more commonly thought to feature Jimmy Page :-

A Tout Casser

Psychedelic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-22 05:25 by Big Al.

Date: November 22, 2013 05:55

Although at one time Jimmy Page may have been wrongly labeled as being the soloist on the Kinks’ original, his participation on this, The Larry Page Orchestra version of You Really Got Me, is rather more likely and far less cause for controversy. The solo here is rather special! :-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-22 05:57 by Big Al.

Date: December 14, 2013 08:40

Jimmy posing with an amp and his Gibson Les Paul, circa 1964. I'm not sure who bought theirs first; Jimmy or Keith.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 15, 2013 02:36

His work on Cocker's version of "With a little help from my friends" is stellar.

Date: December 29, 2013 06:18

Late session drummer Bobby Graham being interviewed about his time working alongside Jimmy Page and the mid-60's session-scene in general. Fascinating insights :-

Parts 1-3 :-

Date: December 29, 2013 06:21

The final installments: parts 4-6 :-

Date: January 8, 2014 21:06

At around 06:59, D.J. Howard Stern, asks interviewee Roger Daltrey whether Jimmy Page is featured on the Who’s debut single, I Can’t Explain. Roger responds by proclaiming it’s Page on ‘lead guitar’ and 'the solo'. Page’s presence at the session has never been disputed, but it is widely thought that his only contribution to a Who recording was the fuzz-box guitar on the B-side track, Bald Headed Woman. Is this utter ball-crap from Daltrey?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-08 21:08 by Big Al.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 8, 2014 21:26

Probably.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 8, 2014 22:21

...Billy Harrison speaks at length of his sessions with THEM in "Ugly things"issue 31 & 32...he did solo and Jimmy P only rhythm....

Date: January 8, 2014 22:33

jp.M
...Billy Harrison speaks at length of his sessions with THEM in "Ugly things"issue 31 & 32...he did solo and Jimmy P only rhythm....

There isn't a rhythm guitar though. confused smiley

Date: January 9, 2014 02:22

There is definite confusion surrounding the involvement of session musicians and the band, Them. It’s cited in so many publications that Page is either involved during their sessions in some capacity; usually ‘lead guitar’ on Baby, Please Don’t Go. I certainly wouldn’t dispute his involvement on some of their sessions, but the solo on that particular recording doesn’t sound particularly like Jimmy Page to my ears. Session drummer – and constant colleague of Page’s – Bobby Graham, does features on many of their recordings, however, and he goes on to briefly discuss his and Page’s involvement with Them in the video’s I have posted earlier in this thread. They’re worth watching.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 9, 2014 02:54

Big Al
At around 06:59, D.J. Howard Stern, asks interviewee Roger Daltrey whether Jimmy Page is featured on the Who’s debut single, I Can’t Explain. Roger responds by proclaiming it’s Page on ‘lead guitar’ and 'the solo'. Page’s presence at the session has never been disputed, but it is widely thought that his only contribution to a Who recording was the fuzz-box guitar on the B-side track, Bald Headed Woman. Is this utter ball-crap from Daltrey?

I would agree that Daltrey is telling it like it was. It was a live take, and you'll notice that the rhythm guitar keeps playing during the lead solo--which, frankly, sounds a bit more nimble than Pete was capable of at the time.

Listen to the live version from a few months after the track was recorded and hear how Townshend plays the lead parts--with none of the accomplished flair and polish found in the studio track.

Date: January 9, 2014 03:19

Thank you for posting the video, Stonehearted. Personally, I had always believed the studio-solo to be Townshend's doing, but, well, perhaps not. I do recall Townshend saying that Shel Talmy - who hired Page on so, so many of his productions - brought Jimmy into the studio with the solo in mind, but, in fact, he wasn't required. Perhaps it's the liner-notes of some compilation I have, but Townshend alludes to the fact that the Can't Explain solo being so 'simple' that Page wasn't, in fact, required. Maybe this is one of those that'll remain a mystery. It's such speculation and intrigues as this, that keep me so interested in Page's pre-Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin career.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 9, 2014 11:40

Jimmy Page turns 70 today! This solo is really good. (starts at 6.30)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 9, 2014 11:52

Date: January 9, 2014 14:10

stonehearted

Listen to the live version from a few months after the track was recorded and hear how Townshend plays the lead parts--with none of the accomplished flair and polish found in the studio track.

This in itself doesn't mean much, many of Keith's solos live were pretty feeble at times.

However, Rogers comments in tandem with Pete's disdain for Led Zeppelin should be considered though. grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 9, 2014 14:57

I remember reading an interview with Pete Townshend on Guitar Player magazine, maybe some 20 years ago, in which he said (if memory serves me well) that it was not Jimmy on I Can't Explain, because "he didn't play like that".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 10, 2014 13:52

MOJO 241 ----------- December 2013

ROCKMAN

Date: January 10, 2014 14:08

Regarding Roger Mayers pedal, he just ripped off the Maestro FZ-1, but added a 3 position filter/tone knob. grinning smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 10, 2014 15:32

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home