Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: My Top-3 Jimmy Page Session Man Moments
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 13, 2010 16:54

This track by the Scotty McKay Quintet was recorded in 1968 and features Page in blistering form. The Yardbirds toured with McKay in ’66 and Page was obliging enough to overdub some fantastic guitar.

Date: February 13, 2010 16:59

Mickie Most has confirmed Pages appearance contribution to this recording

Date: February 13, 2010 17:03

Lulu recorded this cover of the Jagger/Richards original and released it as a single in ’65. Page was a regular at her sessions and this recording features some excellent lead work.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 14, 2010 11:24

Jimmy Page should have joined the Stones after DW and replaced RW (a breathe of fresh air to their music). Anyway, i love RW a lot, he is cojonudo

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: February 14, 2010 23:44

One Hit (To The Body)

Date: November 15, 2013 06:40

More than several years on and I am still fascinated and enthralled by Jimmy Pages’ late 1963-1966 career as one of London’s finest budding session guitarists. Here are a couple more examples of the young man in action. Of course, whilst his general involvement on the recordings is often not disputed, whether-or-not he is responsible for the actual lead-work, often is. However, after such a long period compiling and comparing the tracks that are cited as featuring him on lead, it becomes quite apparent that many of the recordings share similar guitar tones, techniques and solo’s. Either it’s all the work of someone else like Big Jim Sullivan, or, all these session guitarists sound exactly the same. Of course, they don’t. Anyway, enjoy! :-

The below track definitely features Page on lead guitar. It’s a late’63 recording by Carter Lewis and The Southeners and was released as the flip-side to their single, Your Momma’s Out Of Town. This is reportedly one of Jimmy’s very earliest sessions. He even posed as a group-member for promo pictures to coincide with the records release.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 06:50 by Big Al.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 15, 2013 06:56

I read an interview with Jim Sullivan a few years ago, and he says Page's best solo in his entire career is the one on My Baby Left Me. I think it was a Mojo interview.

Date: November 15, 2013 06:56

Jimmy Page pictured with Carter Lewis And The Southeners circa 1963 :-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 06:59 by Big Al.

Date: November 15, 2013 07:01

tomk
I read an interview with Jim Sullivan a few years ago, and he says Page's best solo in his entire career is the one on My Baby Left Me. I think it was a Mojo interview.

Yep, that's probably right. Sullivan has also stated that it was the very-first session that he and Page performed on together. It was recorded February '64, I believe. I posted the song on page 1. smiling smiley

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 07:42

Jimmy was a great session guitarist no doubt... the best session man IMO that was part of Zeppelin was John Paul Jones...the most forgotten and most important part of Zep..and the most humble. Jimmy and John Paul so young.. at age of 21 JP arranged Mellow Yellow and Sunshine Superman for Donovan...shit I could barely get out of bed at that age... I know alot of our favs.. MOSTLY THE STONES.. were all young.. but when some of the big acts where getting started, these 2 cats played on so much... John Paul Jones, probably more than Page, here are some facts on JPJ:

Jones joined his first band, The Deltas, at 15. He then played bass for jazz-rock London group, Jett Blacks, a collective that included guitarist John McLaughlin.[16] Jones' big break came in 1962 when he was hired by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan of the successful British group The Shadows for a two-year stint. Shortly before hiring Jones, Harris and Meehan had just had a Number 1 hit with "Diamonds" (a track on which Jones' bandmate-to-be Jimmy Page had played.) Jones' collaboration with the Shadows nearly prevented the future formation of Led Zeppelin, when the parties engaged in talks about the possibility of Jones replacing their bassist Brian Locking, who left the band in October 1963, but John Rostill was ultimately chosen to fill the position.

In 1964, on the recommendation of Meehan, Jones began studio session work with Decca Records. From then until 1968, he played on hundreds of recording sessions.[17] He soon expanded his studio work by playing keyboards, arranging and undertaking general studio direction, resulting in his services coming under much demand. He worked with numerous artists including the Rolling Stones on Their Satanic Majesties Request (Jones' string arrangement is heard on "She's a Rainbow");[18] Herman's Hermits; Donovan (on "Sunshine Superman" and "Mellow Yellow"); Jeff Beck; Françoise Hardy; Cat Stevens; Rod Stewart; Shirley Bassey; Lulu; and numerous others. As well as recording sessions with Dusty Springfield, Jones also played bass for her Talk of the Town series of performances. His arranging and playing on Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" resulted in producer Mickie Most using his services as choice arranger for many of his own projects, with Tom Jones, Nico, Wayne Fontana, the Walker Brothers, and many others. Such was the extent of Jones' studio work – amounting to hundreds of sessions – that he said years later that "I can't remember three quarters of the sessions I was on."[19]

Date: November 15, 2013 07:44

Here's Jimmy posing alongside another group he lent his guitar-skills to, Mickey Finn and The Blue Men in 1964 :-

Date: November 15, 2013 07:50

EG1964, John Paul Jones certainly was one of the finest session musicians on the London scene. Started out with bass-work, before entering the world of keyboards and arranging. His pre-Zeppelin C.V. is highly impressive. Here is a little-known recording. In 1964, he was afforded the opportunity to record his very-own single. This is the result: 'Baja' :-

Produced by none other than Andrew Loog Oldham smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 07:52 by Big Al.

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:32

Big Al- Way cool thanks!!! Jimmy gets a ton of praise and credit and I love him. However, it was JPJ on Zep that made that band (IMO)..I saw the Page and Plant tours and they were great, but something was missing.. I couldnt put my finger on it..Michael Lee on Drums (RIP), the thunder that way was there, the power was there. Anyway, I then had a chance to see JPJ at the TLA in Philly on his Zooma tour.. and POW! There it was..that missing piece. The power from his band and arrangements where the things missing in P&P shows and no vocals, the Zep songs he did were more powerful than P&P, you knew who was the backbone of Zep. I just think that if there is a unsung hero in music from that era.. its JPJ. I just admire him for being so humble when his talent is sooo amazing.I didnt mean to change the topic, sorry if I offended.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:37

I think the most surprising Page contribution must be the song Goldfinger of James Bond fame. Page strums along on the recording somewhat buried beneath the brass, but he's there. Further, to add the intrigue of this song, it was produced by George Martin which is ironic considering Bond's famous line from Goldfinger about the Beatles "there are some things that aren't done, like drinking Dom Perigon at room tempurature. That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without ear muffs".
Add to the Bond/Beatles connection: the character of Col. SMithers, the gold expert is played by Richard Vernon, who appeared that year in A Hard Day's Night as a perturbed passenger. Finally the soundtrack to Goldfinger would knock A Hard Days Night out of the #1 position in the US.
Sorry to get off topic...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 15, 2013 17:20

Is this Page??? video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: November 15, 2013 17:29

My personal fave, nice solo in this one:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 15, 2013 17:31

DoomandGloom

Yes.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 15, 2013 17:46

His Majesty
DoomandGloom

Yes.
Thanks!!!

Date: November 15, 2013 17:49

DoomandGloom
Thanks!!!

He plays on other tracks from the related album too. cool smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: November 15, 2013 18:00

Another little gem he did on the side:

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: November 15, 2013 18:38

Me, when it comes to early Page, I was always partial to "ZOOM WIDGE AND WAG"!

It's SOOO Austin Powers, isn't it?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 16, 2013 01:10

Oh Jimmy, how I love you, how I miss you. sad smiley I've enjoyed these blasts from the past, though.

Date: November 16, 2013 01:18

What with the recent Roy Harper charge, I wonder if Pagey is shitting his pants a bit.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 16, 2013 01:55

Along with approximately 80% of his peers. (Conservative estimate.)

Date: November 16, 2013 02:06

His Majesty
What with the recent Roy Harper charge, I wonder if Pagey is shitting his pants a bit.

If he knowingly had intercourse with a minor, then he bloody well should be!

Anyway, I don't want BV to close this head! Back to the music, guys and gals!

Date: November 16, 2013 02:08

He did and yes, back to the session man.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:18

Shel Talmy brought Page in for a Who session in 1965, and he plays a nasty fuzz-tone on the B-side of I Can't Explain, Bald-Headed Woman.

Correction: I believe the Can't Explain/Bald-Headed Woman sessions were actually from December 1964.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 02:20 by stonehearted.

Date: November 16, 2013 02:20

His Majesty
He did and yes, back to the session man.

Disappointing sad smiley

Anyway, here's a favourite of mine. It's by American recording artist, Brenda Lee. In 1964, she recorded a number of tracks in London. This one, although not featuring a Page solo, features some terrific rhythm work and some powerhouse drumming courtesy of Bobby Graham :-

Date: November 16, 2013 02:27

stoneshearted's post regarding Page's contribution to the Who's Bald-Headed Woman has prompted me to dispel a few session-era Page 'myths'

He doesn't feature on the Who's Can't Explain, nor does he perform the solo on Them's Baby, Please Don't Go. He was also, and quite frequently at one point, credited for the You Really Got Me solo. It was Dave Davies. In fact, the only 'official' credit he has on a Kinks recording is 12-string acoustic on, yep, Bald-Headed Woman. I guess Talmy requested all his groups and artists to record his self-penned number.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 17, 2013 02:10

Thanks everyone for all the fantastic stuff---!
Loved it !

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1504
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home