Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Concert dorks can ruin a show
Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 27, 2009 12:02

When tickets where $10 it didn't really matter if you stood, sat or whatever. Today, however, if I've paid $3-400 I demand you sit down or I'll have you thrown out. For those of you who think this a bit draconian, I blew my first joint in 1969 & took my first trip in 1970, where were you in those years?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2009 14:41

vox12string
When tickets where $10 it didn't really matter if you stood, sat or whatever. Today, however, if I've paid $3-400 I demand you sit down or I'll have you thrown out. For those of you who think this a bit draconian, I blew my first joint in 1969 & took my first trip in 1970, where were you in those years?
ha ha ha THE MOB RULES BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 27, 2009 15:06

[sic]

"Rolling Stones Rose Bowl 10/21/94
Some dude with a jacket on his lap and a head bobbing up and down under the jacket."

Anyone who would date a woman like that is out of their mind. It seems like the end result would be sexually transmitted bumps, pimples, etc...

For crying out loud, Some Girls was written for a reason "some girls give me diamonds others disease" [sic]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 27, 2009 15:34

"[yesterday] I blew my first joint in 1969 & took my first trip in 1970"
[today] if I've paid $3-400 I demand you sit down or I'll have you thrown out"

Who said the spirit of the 60's doesn't live on and inspire people even today? smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-27 15:41 by dcba.

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: February 27, 2009 15:57

Usually the people sitting down whilst you want to stand up are the same people referred to in all of the other commandments. My pet peeve is people who think they are the show rather than there to see the show and who will do anything to get noticed. THAT has increased in recent years thanks to the internet, fortunately not at Stones shows that I have been too. Suddenly having a broadband connection and logging on to a messageboard makes you a better fan than everyone else who should go screw themselves

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 27, 2009 16:13

Concerts aren't as loud as they used to be. When they were REALLY loud, it didn't matter if someone near you was talking because you couldn't hear them.

"It [massive amplification] was a way of intimidating the audience. It was our way of saying 'Look, if you are in this room with us, all you get is us'.

---Peter Townshend

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-27 16:14 by tatters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 27, 2009 17:51

I've mentioned this before but this article brings it back up but leaves out one thing. In 2007 I took my girlfriend to see The Cult. I told her prepare to have your head ripped off - it'll be great. I had seen them in 1999 and 2001 and it was great. Rock'n'roll loud, rock concert loud, the way it should be - ROCK CONCERT.

Not only were there idiots doing the pose with the phone taking a picture with the band in the background and and there were people having conversations at the bar but the worst thing was the people next to us having a conversation I could hear over the band because the PA was not loud enough.

The tickets were $45. I don't pay that much money for a club to go have a stupid conversation or hear one. I already play the records at home. I want to hear some of the records live.

The next night Hank III came through and I had mentioned to a friend how quiet The Cult were and that it seemed to be the club, not the band, that decided that. He told me the Hank III show was too quiet and full of idiots.

The venues need to turn the volume back up to ROCK CONCERT levels, not Dave Matthews levels.

That was the House Of Blues. I saw the Drive-By Truckers at Tipitina's and a lot of people were 1. listening 2. singing along 3. smoking pot 4. paying attention to the show and 5. the volume was pretty good.

The House Of Blues is not the best place to see/hear a band regardless. In fact, it's quite awful.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: February 27, 2009 18:39

6. Thou Shalt Not Use Cell Phones to Text Your Friends During Concerts, to Talk on the Phone During Quiet Moments nor to Take Countless Goofy Pictures of You and Your Date with the Performers on stage in the Background.

This should be printed bold, underlined and in italics at the same time. I could happily live with the faults the other nine points imply, if I knew people would let their stupid mobiles in their pockets.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 27, 2009 19:25

The places I've been in Europe all the people pay attention when we're playing. In the US it's half and half. Europeans are way more serious about the concert experience, at least from my point of view, than Americans.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 27, 2009 20:20

I was talking to one girl about going to concerts and she was ripping me because I told her how seriously I take concerts. She then went on to tell me that she usually gets thrown out of concerts for being to rowdy...and drunk.

Big surprise.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: February 27, 2009 20:53

vox12string

So you've become everything you use to hate?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 27, 2009 20:53

frankotero

Oh and yeah that's definately the case at Stones concerts. Sorry Italian friends, but you have to admit at least 90 percent of the audience in Italy is there for something to do.

Elaborate, please.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 27, 2009 21:27

Are you Italian? The last thing I want to do is insult the Italians, I used to live there and have a great respect for them. However, generally speaking they don't love Rock N' Roll, and my best friend (whose Italian) agrees with me. To make matters worse The Stones are usually looked down upon. Minus the last 2 tours. I was at Milano in 2003 and what I saw was a bunch of tourist just throwing a party, OK there's nothing really wrong about that but I can assure you they would do that for any concert, they're not Stones fans. Again my friend would completely agree with my opinion. Of course I realise there are Italian rockers, I've met quite a few, but they're a minority in a techno or death metal world in Italy.

Date: February 28, 2009 01:08

dcba
"[yesterday] I blew my first joint in 1969 & took my first trip in 1970"
[today] if I've paid $3-400 I demand you sit down or I'll have you thrown out"

Who said the spirit of the 60's doesn't live on and inspire people even today? smoking smiley

Yeah, a perfect example of someone who turned into his own father. Too bad Dad was a jerk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-28 01:09 by tatters.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 28, 2009 02:57

sundevil
no standing when everyone else is sitting?!? drop dead pussy! this ain't your living room. without a doubt it's worse nowadays. thirty years ago NO ONE would have a list of rules about what isn't permitted. or whine about standing at a ROCK CONCERT. long live the stones!? no, long live the hall monitors.

A-@#$%ing-men!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 28, 2009 04:31

You have to be kidding. Cohen had all sorts of chuckleheads doing the cellphone thing, as there were the following night when The Stooges performed. Did I mention both show referenced were in Dublin? Both shows were great in spite of this foolishness.

Posted by: caroogie ()
Date: February 28, 2009 05:17

Obviously those who find these "rules" ridiculous don't have one important thing ...respect for others. It has nothing to do with turning into your Dad or being a pussy. A concert is for getting together,seeing a few bands and enjoying the show. Not to be a careless pain in the @ss at the expense of those around you. The idea that someone should stay home and watch a DVD instead of complaing about concert dorks is backwards. The dorks should stay home and act the fool. Why should I have to stand up to see over a drunk @-hole dancing in the nose-bleed seats? Or listen to phone blabber about personal crap. A ticket to a show is not a license for being a jerk. Oh, but of course it's their right to be rude, isn't it? As it is my right to despise their behaviour...and accidently spill my $10 beer on them.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 28, 2009 05:44

Right on, caroogie.

Best post on the topic...I couldn't have said it better.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 28, 2009 15:15

frankotero
Are you Italian? The last thing I want to do is insult the Italians, I used to live there and have a great respect for them. However, generally speaking they don't love Rock N' Roll, and my best friend (whose Italian) agrees with me. To make matters worse The Stones are usually looked down upon. Minus the last 2 tours. I was at Milano in 2003 and what I saw was a bunch of tourist just throwing a party, OK there's nothing really wrong about that but I can assure you they would do that for any concert, they're not Stones fans. Again my friend would completely agree with my opinion. Of course I realise there are Italian rockers, I've met quite a few, but they're a minority in a techno or death metal world in Italy.

Well it's not that they don't love rock'n roll, it's just that the Stones' work is a little bit too subtle fot most of them. They kind of like better bands like ac/dc, Motorhead or Guns' n Roses. And also Metallica is very huge here, too. And they like really muck local rockers, which are really really really bad.

Anyway at every Stones' concert in Italy I've had a great time, much better than for instance @ the O2 in London, where the audience was a little bit lame and not really so enthusiastic. And as for Milan 2003, the Stones themselves rated that concert as one of the most enjoyable of the Licks Tour.

Date: February 28, 2009 15:16

caroogie
Why should I have to stand up to see over a drunk @-hole dancing in the nose-bleed seats?

If you're in the unfortunate position of being right behind the ONLY person who is standing, there are ways to deal with it. Try politely tapping them on the shoulder and saying something like, "No one else is standing right now. Why don't we sit for now and then later on we'll ALL stand up". Problem solved.

Your ticket, no matter how much you paid for it, doesn't guarantee you a perfect experience, regardless of what your own personal definition of "perfect" might be. If you expect it to be a perfect experience, you are going to be disappointed every time, and if you're going to be disappointed every time, maybe you really should just stay home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-28 15:34 by tatters.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: February 28, 2009 15:26

how refreshing it is to go to the theatre, opera, ballet, or symphony, where one can really enjoy the experience without all of the above mentioned dreadful behavior.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2009 17:54

Wild Slivovitz
frankotero

Well it's not that they don't love rock'n roll, it's just that the Stones' work is a little bit too subtle fot most of them. They kind of like better bands like ac/dc, Motorhead or Guns' n Roses. And also Metallica is very huge here, too. And they like really muck local rockers, which are really really really bad.

Anyway at every Stones' concert in Italy I've had a great time, much better than for instance @ the O2 in London, where the audience was a little bit lame and not really so enthusiastic. And as for Milan 2003, the Stones themselves rated that concert as one of the most enjoyable of the Licks Tour.

I've never seen the Stones in Italy, but I've seen Springsteen there and the notion that Italians aren't great audiences is baffling. 80,000 people at the San Siro in Milan last June and the whole crowd (even those in the nosebleeds in what is an incredibly high stadium) were on their feet for the entire three hours.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 28, 2009 23:37

To Gazza and Wild Slivovitz. I think we have different thoughts on what makes a great concert. I can understand that concert go-ers and the band likes to see enthusiastic people, however that doesn't mean it's great. For me a quiet and courteous fan out to see his/her idols perform a memorable gig means more. Just my opinion.

Date: February 28, 2009 23:58

3DTeafoe
how refreshing it is to go to the theatre, opera, ballet, or symphony, where one can really enjoy the experience without all of the above mentioned dreadful behavior.

Unfortunately, none of those things are nearly as much fun as even a mildly enjoyable rock concert. And don't kid yourself, high-brow audiences are not without their own special brand of A-hole. The wildest, most out-of-control fist-fight I've ever seen occured at, of all things, a Moody Blues concert at the Toledo Zoo. Justin's singing about bluebirds or something, while in the crowd, there's a riot goin' on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-01 00:05 by tatters.

Date: March 1, 2009 03:26

I have a little pet peeve when it comes to tribute band shows... Not all are like this [thankfully]...

Why must you guys - mostly guys do this - stand in front of stage and obstruct the dance floor? They are Not the Stones, just impersonators. Please move off the dance floor (unless there is tons of room) so those of us who want to dance, can. I don't think I'm being unreasonable...the cover charge is very low after all. smiling smiley

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 1, 2009 04:43

..this reminds me of a stones gig years ago when a guy near me who was taping the show got really upset with everyone around him for making so much noise during the show--he asked people not to clap or yell even between songs...of course everyone told him to STFU...on one hand i felt for him but on the other..well...was he being selfish?....he finally moved when someone threatened to call an usher...anyhow, when i got a copy of the tape (i made a deal with the guy) i heard myself yelling for dead flowers and only then realized how obnoxious i sounded....but i and everyone around was having a great time.....so who's right??....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 2, 2009 01:21

Its not only concerts. I go to a lot of Red Sox games and I go to watch the game and you canstantly have people getting up to eat and people talking on cell phones. It drives me nuts! Good post

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: March 2, 2009 02:10

vox12string

Vox you must be kidding.....My first joints and trips come from the same timeframe but I would never expect people to sit down at a ROCK concert regardless of the ticket prices.....stand up and have a great time.....or go to the opera!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 2, 2009 02:35

No Expectations
vox12string

Vox you must be kidding.....My first joints and trips come from the same timeframe but I would never expect people to sit down at a ROCK concert regardless of the ticket prices.....stand up and have a great time.....or go to the opera!

I have a compromise...standing is totally acceptable for Rock and Roll, but stand on your chair (in front of me) and I'll knock you off (after one warning)...unless you are a little kid.

Date: March 2, 2009 03:28

Someone PLEASE explain to me what is so freakin' COMPLICATED about this. If the people in front of you are standing, and you have to stand in order to see, then STAND UP. If the people in front of you are sitting, and you can see perfectly well without standing, then REMAIN SEATED. If you become so DEEPLY MOVED by the performance to the point where you feel you MUST stand, chances are very good that the people near you will be feeling the same way at the same time, and everyone will be standing in unison. If you still don't feel like standing when EVERYONE else is standing, then you're just not that into it and you probably shouldn't be there at all.

Are we all in kindergarten here, or what?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home