Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nashville 2002 - Surround Sound
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 30, 2009 03:20

Greetings!

I have a new project I'm working on... Does anyone have any interest in Surround Sound bootlegs? Basically I've been working on mixing a few shows which have multiple sources. In order to hear the recording you need proper equipment setup to listen to 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. For me its a modded Xbox using XBMC. For others this file would be burned to a dvd and played in their dvd player (home theater). If you don't have the proper equipment you will hear nothing but very shrill static and it could very possibly damage your speakers.

Nashville 2002 - Brown Sugar - 5.1 Surround Sound - hosted on my site, not gigasize... no ads or waiting time!

The above file is a ROUGH (I stress this factor) mix of the Nashville 2002 show. The bstage was incredible. Absolutely stellar. Two enjoyable sources emerged, one was mine. The other source lacked some bottom end, was done on lesser quality mics and sounded over-compressed. Mine sounded super clean, had tons of dymanics, etc... I'm not bragging, just making the comparison. I threw my recording about 70% to the rear, full stereo L/R. The other source I threw to the front 100% with full stereo L/R.

The mix is very rough but it is coming along. I figured I'd share the track and see if anyone had any interest in the whole show, or other shows. I'd like to go back as far as LA Friday '75 (I know, the title is wrong, but there are multiple sources to this show if I remember correctly...) and on to other great performances.

I will be outta town this weekend but I will check this thread when I get back on Monday. Enjoy!

Re: Nashville 2002 - Surround Sound
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 30, 2009 03:25

Wowza sir!!! the Nashville 02 show is one of my favorite boots from the Licks tour! I have 5.1, but it's nothing fancy ... a so-so Insignia purchase I got from Best Buy. But it sounds quite decent, and I have played many dvd's thru it.

Tell me more smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2009 04:08

The bstage from this gig was absolutely phenomenal. IORR, Little Red Rooster and Brown Sugar... For us longtime fans those 3 songs aren't necessarily something to write home about but at this show it was something special. IORR was very rauchy with tons of guitar weaving. Little Red Rooster was INSPIRED. Absolutely beautiful. And then Brown Sugar. The crowd was so into it they started the yeah yeah woos wwaaaay too early, and Mick joined in with them after the fact. The guitar weave was in full force. The rest of the gig is fun too, but that bstage... woah man...

The mix is VERY rough. I'm going to open it up quite a bit, reduce the compression on both sources, and change the eq as well. It is still very listenable and will give you an idea of where I want to go with it...

Posted by: marko ()
Date: January 30, 2009 09:16

I think San Diego was better one even.......

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2009 11:28

Dear Flac,

I'm really interested in 5.1 albums per se. Ain't got much, Tommy, Dark Side Of The Moon, David Crosby's amazing If Only I Could Remember My Name, and a few other bits and pieces. Can ylu recommend others? Also I've got all the Stones and Dylan on SACD but not got a SACD player yet. Worth getting?

Date: January 30, 2009 12:10

Sounds great, Drake! Will you be at Diamonds in Louisville March 7? If so, catch you there.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 30, 2009 21:06

marko
I think San Diego was better one even.......

Is there a matrix of the 2 sources out there?

Posted by: marko ()
Date: January 30, 2009 21:22

Don´t know about that,can´t even rememeber where i got mine.Its still VERY nice
recording.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 30, 2009 23:39

yes i'm intrested in 5.1 bootlegs and merge stereo boots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
thumbs up

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 31, 2009 00:04

Cool, I've just this week been listening to a cd I got off eBay of this show. The overall sound is not that great, but you can tell the boys were definitely in good shape that night !
Sadly, it's also the last Stones show that I've been able to attend.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: January 31, 2009 02:24

I've done a lot of surround-CDs after I first heard the official Buena Vista Social Club surround-CD. Never thought that somebody else would care but I tell ya - Aftermath (using the wide-stereo edition), the transfer of an old Got LIVE LP (again, Stereo), Between The Buttons and even the Cambden Theatre show are awesome with surround sound - like being in the middle of the studio/concert hall. But one will need a DVD-Player which is able to read and encode the signals from the CD.

Drake, are you really using an xbox or did you mean xbox 360? Mine are both modified but I can't see a way to connect my xbox with a sound-system except for using the cinch line-out which would lead to a surround but not to a 5.1 signal, or am I completely wrong?

silkcut

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 2, 2009 15:59

Hey Drake, you were going to remaster the Columbus show from 2005, did you ever get around to that?

Posted by: Tommy Cosmo ()
Date: February 3, 2009 00:58

Mr Drake,
You must be kidding, this must be a soundboard !!!!
The guitars perfectly separeted, stunning drum sound,
perfect bass and vocals. The best matrix I´ve ever heard!
Please mix the whole show, one of the best from the Licks tour.
Please!!!
Tommy

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: February 3, 2009 02:21

How do you open the file? I'd like to hear it.
Drake, please email me regarding using other recordings for this project.

Date: February 3, 2009 17:15

Sivler, please read this article: [www.stevehoffman.tv] It is far and away the absolute best article on the whole SACD vs vinyl debate. Steve Hoffman is one of the greatest sound engineers in history, so I respect his opinion much more than my own.

As for recommended surround sound stuff... I love all the TOUP (Two Of Us Productions) releases. They've done alot of Beatles and other classic rock groups. The Stones releases they did are pretty amazing. Sticky Fingers is far and away the best sounding surround sound project of the Stones that I have EVER heard. I can upload the torrent to a tracker later this week if you'd like to hear it. I'm in the process of moving so I have no access to my harddrives until later this week.

DandelionPowderman... My friend I am getting married ON March 7th, so I will definitely not be there. Otherwise you know I would! Crazy that you will be in my home town! I hope you all are well received! I will spread the word as I can!

Silkcut... When you talk about 'doing surround-CDs' what do mean? Aftermath wide-stereo edition? If it is a stereo source how are you playing it in surround sound. Do you use a Dolby Digital filter or is it 'emulated' surround sound? I use Dolby Digital II under Music mode, which does not add ANYTHING artificial to the recording. It merely filters the channels and throws sound in the rear from the stereo source. It does not work at all in mono, but works brilliantly with almost any stereo source.

And yes, I am indeed using a classic original xbox and not an xbox 360. I am using this adapter... [www.amazon.com] It has an optical jack on it. I don't know if there are other methods aside from those involving hard-modding and lots of soldering.

kovach, I never did finish remastering the Columbus disc. I honestly forgot all about it, but I can make that a goal later on in March.

Tommy Cosmo... Good sir it will get much better. I'm glad you dig it as is! I will definitely mix the whole show and put it up soon. The stunning thing is that my recording (the cleaner part of the matrix) was recorded 20 ft from the main PA system. So the main part of the show sounds absolutely stellar. Then they went down to the bstage and the sound system was suddenly 100+ ft away. Even still, it came out phenomenal!

The easiest way to hear it is to extract the flac file to a wav. (flac frontend will do it) From there you burn the wav to a dvd and then pop it in your dvd player.

I will post again later this week once I finish moving. My computer, stereo, everything is outta commission until probably Friday/Saturday. I'm just glad someone else out there is interested in surround sound. Some people view it as a gimmick, but I think its a beautiful way to enjoy music!

Date: February 4, 2009 16:47

<DandelionPowderman... My friend I am getting married ON March 7th, so I will definitely not be there. Otherwise you know I would! Crazy that you will be in my home town! I hope you all are well received! I will spread the word as I can!>

WOW! Congratulations smiling smiley Awesome, Drake!

Date: February 4, 2009 23:28

She's an amazing lady and even digs the Stones! I just hope they go back on tour so that I can take her to a gig!

btw, I will be posting the complete Nashville 2002 recording after this weekend...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1926
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home