Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Why have The Stones never gone on The Howard Stern Show?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 23, 2013 00:46

Another great Stern show interview from the last year or two is Roger Waters, and to answer a point made in a post somewhere above, musicians don't get any more "dignified" than him--who knew Waters even had a sense of humor? You always learn something new from the Stern show.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 23, 2013 01:24

^ Listening through now, lol, he doesn't hold back eh!? grinning smiley

Date: October 23, 2013 01:28

Who, Stern or Waters?

Date: October 23, 2013 01:39

stonehearted
Who, Stern or Waters?

Stern, but Waters is a good sport and quite open.

Damn, he for sure would get some good shit out of Mick, Keith and Bill.

I think Charlie might just walk out. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2013 01:51

Claire_M
hypnohighball
This is pretty sad reading the Stern-hater comments here. Sounds like a bunch of grumpy, uptight old men. Oh, that's right........winking smiley

What's sad was watching Stern and his goons sexually humiliate an older woman who clearly had mental health issues. This was in the late 90s or so. They goaded this poor feeble-minded person into removing her top, then made sophomoric comments about her saggy "pancake batter" boobs and played sound effects like a cuckoo clock referring to her mental state.

This is the kind of person you and OldSchool admire. And that is sad.

Exactly where I'm coming from...I don't care if he's on his best behaviour when he's interviewing someone he admires, I choose not to make time for someone like that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 23, 2013 02:06

They have a little dignity left that's why!!!

Date: October 23, 2013 02:35

treaclefingers

Exactly where I'm coming from...I don't care if he's on his best behaviour when he's interviewing someone he admires, I choose not to make time for someone like that.

But, you have time for drink spiking, woman beating, glad someone commited suicide, dead mocking, gun pointing at someones face, firing gun in room full of people, old man banging underage girl types of people. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-23 02:45 by His Majesty.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 23, 2013 02:40

His Majesty
stonehearted
Who, Stern or Waters?

I thought it was a good interview.......and they all know who Stern is, if you can handle don't let him interview you......as far as I know all Stones interviews are IMO produced...pity though.....

Date: October 23, 2013 03:07

Let's not forget the most important reason The Stones--or at least Mick--won't go on the Stern show: not enough mainstream exposure.

Look at the U.S. shows The Stones and especially Mick have done in the last 10 years--60 Minutes, Today, and Mick on Larry King, shows so middle of the road they sit squarely on the double yellow line.

Though Stern has widened his exposure in recent years as a judge on America's Got No Talent, he still tends to be divisive, as the posts in this thread show, and is still not considered middle-of-the-road mainstream and therefore not worth the time and effort for Mick to travel to New York and be wide awake at 7 a.m. for to field the inevitable (tiny) todger questions.

Date: October 23, 2013 04:24

His Majesty
treaclefingers

But, you have time for drink spiking, woman beating, glad someone commited suicide, dead mocking, gun pointing at someones face, firing gun in room full of people, old man banging underage girl types of people. confused smiley

exactly...do what you want, but don't talk about it!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 23, 2013 04:25

Claire_M
hypnohighball
This is pretty sad reading the Stern-hater comments here. Sounds like a bunch of grumpy, uptight old men. Oh, that's right........winking smiley

What's sad was watching Stern and his goons sexually humiliate an older woman who clearly had mental health issues. This was in the late 90s or so. They goaded this poor feeble-minded person into removing her top, then made sophomoric comments about her saggy "pancake batter" boobs and played sound effects like a cuckoo clock referring to her mental state.

Claire, I doubt very much she was mentally ill. Stern is not stupid and is actually pretty conservative. She decided on her own to come into the studio and do what she did. The show is a comedy, they must keep people laughing anyway they can with their sound effects but you can like or dislike anyone you like.

I believe you are Zeppelin fan - what is your thoughts on Page being with a 14 YO (see link)? Do you still admire him or Zeppelin? Same question about Bill with Mandy?

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: October 23, 2013 04:30

2000 LYFH
Claire_M
hypnohighball

Claire, I doubt very much she was mentally ill. Stern is not stupid and is actually pretty conservative. She decided on her own to come into the studio and do what she did. The show is a comedy, they must keep people laughing anyway they can with their sound effects but you can like or dislike anyone you like.

I believe you are Zeppelin fan - what is your thoughts on Page being with a 14 YO (see link)? Do you still admire him or Zeppelin? Same question about Bill with Mandy?

[www.rollingstone.com]

I think the question is do you approve of sex with children? Not to speak for Claire, but I would be the answer would be 'doesn't approve' as would I.

I didn't like it when Michael Jackson did it, or Bill or anyone else and actually believe it to be a crime.

Now that you've chosen to bring this up, I believe the appropriate follow-up question to be, where you sit on that subject?

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 23, 2013 04:35

His Majesty
stonehearted
Who, Stern or Waters?

Keef and Ronnie yes, Bill maybe, Mick no as he is too much of a tight ass and Charlie would never go on.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 23, 2013 04:51

treaclefingers
2000 LYFH
Claire_M
hypnohighball

[www.rollingstone.com]

I think the question is do you approve of sex with children? Not to speak for Claire, but I would be the answer would be 'doesn't approve' as would I.

I didn't like it when Michael Jackson did it, or Bill or anyone else and actually believe it to be a crime.

Now that you've chosen to bring this up, I believe the appropriate follow-up question to be, where you sit on that subject?

Of course not and how do you know what Jackson did?

I wasn't asking if she approved of child abuse but rather knowing that they did do this crime (why is no one ever arrested), did she still admire them in general.

BTW - were you a listener who got turned off or just heard other people talk about him and decided to not like him? In any case, you or anyone else can like or dislike him, doesn't bother me...

Date: October 23, 2013 05:30

2000 LYFH
treaclefingers
2000 LYFH
Claire_M
hypnohighball

[www.rollingstone.com]

Of course not and how do you know what Jackson did?

I wasn't asking if she approved of child abuse but rather knowing that they did do this crime (why is no one ever arrested), did she still admire them in general.

BTW - were you a listener who got turned off or just heard other people talk about him and decided to not like him? In any case, you or anyone else can like or dislike him, doesn't bother me...

My only point with that, and you did open the door, was that one thing has nothing to do with the other. We can choose not to like HS, and because we like the Rolling Stones as a band doesn't mean we approve of what people have done in their personal lives.

The difference, good or bad, is the Stones don't throw it in our face every day whilst HS does.

You say you don't care whether we don't like him, but I'd say that you rather convincingly illustrating the opposite impression. If you don't care, quit trying to change my mind by telling me Bill Wyman is 'sicker' but I like him.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 23, 2013 06:00

Screw Mick and Keith going on Howard. And when the hell did they get 'classy'? They may have got old but they did plenty of trashy behavior in the past. They're the f-ing Rolling Stones. As for Keith and Mick on Howard, forget it. I want Bill on there. He still has to promote a new book coming out on the Stones doesn't he?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2013 06:03

Why have The Stones never gone on The Howard Stern Show?

.... simple.. They don't like long hairs...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 23, 2013 06:41

24FPS
I want Bill on there. He still has to promote a new book coming out on the Stones doesn't he?

You're assuming Howard's audience reads books?grinning smiley

Date: October 23, 2013 07:07

stonehearted
24FPS
I want Bill on there. He still has to promote a new book coming out on the Stones doesn't he?

You're assuming Howard's audience reads books?grinning smiley

Why would you assume otherwise? Anyone who is familiar with the show knows it has a wide range of thought. It bothers me that Howard cuts down books in favor of TV, but Fred doesn't and Robin doesn't either. And you can't go by the people who call in. Those are people who have nothing to do but sit on the phone hour after hour waiting to get on for a couple minutes. The reason Howard was paid $500 Million Dollars to go to Sirius satellite radio is his ability to attract a wide range of audience, including women.

Howard, for all his surface bluster, has always been an advocate of free speech. And we're not all going to like what's being said at all times.

Date: October 23, 2013 09:58

Ah! Finally, a definitive answer to this thread, at least where Mick is concerned. If you go to Mick's website, the first page of the "interviews" section has the transcript of an interview with Jann Wenner (Jagger Remembers: The Rolling Stone Interview), and Wenner's opening paragraph of the article is excerpted and highlighted at the very top of the mickjagger.com "interviews" page:

Being interviewed is one of Mick Jagger’s least favorite pastimes, a necessity that accompanies his career. A typical session with a journalist lasts 20 minutes. His life has been public for so long, he sees little need to explain or justify himself and has everything to be gained by holding on to what privacy he has – such as the privacy of his thinking – as well as the value of a little mystery.

[www.mickjagger.com]

So it's not so much a "Howard Stern" issue as it is an "interview" issue. Besides, Howard would want more like 45 minutes to an hour, and he wouldn't get even half that much if he only gives Jann Wenner 20 minutes.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 23, 2013 13:51

Even if Mick gave an hour his interviews are always fluff where he tells us nothing and the least interesting of the bunch. Although Charlie is pretty boring as well.

Bill might be the most open as he has the least to lose at this point but I would rather see Keef or Ronnie be interviewed as I think Howard would get some gold out of them.

As far as trying to change peoples minds about Howard, I would never try as he is someone you either like or hate. But this claim that the boys don't go on because they have class is nonsense. There have been literally hundreds of musicians who have gone on his show over the years. Some of the most respected in the business.

Date: October 23, 2013 16:11

24FPS
Screw Mick and Keith going on Howard. And when the hell did they get 'classy'? They may have got old but they did plenty of trashy behavior in the past. They're the f-ing Rolling Stones. As for Keith and Mick on Howard, forget it. I want Bill on there. He still has to promote a new book coming out on the Stones doesn't he?

Stern would go too deep in to the Mandy Smith saga.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-23 16:38 by His Majesty.

Date: October 23, 2013 17:07

stonehearted
Ah! Finally, a definitive answer to this thread, at least where Mick is concerned. If you go to Mick's website, the first page of the "interviews" section has the transcript of an interview with Jann Wenner (Jagger Remembers: The Rolling Stone Interview), and Wenner's opening paragraph of the article is excerpted and highlighted at the very top of the mickjagger.com "interviews" page:

Being interviewed is one of Mick Jagger’s least favorite pastimes, a necessity that accompanies his career. A typical session with a journalist lasts 20 minutes. His life has been public for so long, he sees little need to explain or justify himself and has everything to be gained by holding on to what privacy he has – such as the privacy of his thinking – as well as the value of a little mystery.

[www.mickjagger.com]

So it's not so much a "Howard Stern" issue as it is an "interview" issue. Besides, Howard would want more like 45 minutes to an hour, and he wouldn't get even half that much if he only gives Jann Wenner 20 minutes.

I think Jan got significantly more than 20 minutes...on the other hand, I think Howard would drool to get 20 minutes with MJ.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 23, 2013 22:38

Jann & Mick are pretty close friends. That 1995 interviews was conducted over many hours in personal and on the phone throughout the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Date: October 23, 2013 22:42

Stern would probably get more interesing stuff out of Mick in 20 minutes than Wenner got over many hours. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-23 22:44 by His Majesty.

Date: October 23, 2013 22:45

His Majesty
Stern would probably get more interesing stuff out of Mick in 20 minutes than jan got over many hours. grinning smiley

Oh man...we actually agree on something! First time in a week!

Date: October 24, 2013 10:28

<Why have The Stones never gone on The Howard Stern Show?>

Probably for the same reason they never guested Sesame Street...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 24, 2013 13:38

5 pages on something that the stones will never do .

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 24, 2013 14:34

Is ronnie going to do the Howard Stern show to promote his NYC gigs?
Ron has done the show in 1993 or 94 to promote "Slide on this" and he got along pretty well with Howard. That would be great if he'd stop by the Sirius studio and have some fun with Stern.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: October 24, 2013 17:48

rollmops
Is ronnie going to do the Howard Stern show to promote his NYC gigs?
Ron has done the show in 1993 or 94 to promote "Slide on this" and he got along pretty well with Howard. That would be great if he'd stop by the Sirius studio and have some fun with Stern.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Wouldn't that be something? Have Ron & Mick Taylor together.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home