Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Bitch
Date: September 7, 2014 23:12

Title5Take1
I think Taylor's guitar solo on Bitch is one of the greatest in rock and roll. I love it. Which is why it killed me at the last Anaheim show when Dave Grohl played that solo, and I knew Taylor was backstage. I'll admit Grohl did a first rate job (maybe because he knew some audience members were thinking like I was thinking). But Grohl is no Mick Taylor. And Taylor was...just..backstage.

Incidentally, at first I thought the line, "I'm feeling hungry, can't see the reason," was "I'm failing Harvard, can't see the reason."

Taylor didn't play the Bitch-solo.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 7, 2014 23:15

DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1
I think Taylor's guitar solo on Bitch is one of the greatest in rock and roll. I love it. Which is why it killed me at the last Anaheim show when Dave Grohl played that solo, and I knew Taylor was backstage. I'll admit Grohl did a first rate job (maybe because he knew some audience members were thinking like I was thinking). But Grohl is no Mick Taylor. And Taylor was...just..backstage.

Incidentally, at first I thought the line, "I'm feeling hungry, can't see the reason," was "I'm failing Harvard, can't see the reason."

That's right, Title5, check out the Herbie Mann video posted earlier to see how Taylor would have played lead on Bitch.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 8, 2014 00:05

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1

That's right, Title5, check out the Herbie Mann video posted earlier to see how Taylor would have played lead on Bitch.

Ahh, well I'm a bigger Keith fan than an MT fan, so that's good news. And now I'm not so annoyed about Anaheim.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 8, 2014 04:29

I listened to this song the other day on the way home from work after not really playing it much lately and rediscovered what an amazing song it is. This what rock n roll guitar playing is all about what a groove and the fills are awesome teriffic stuff!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 8, 2014 13:53

So many great memories of this song. It works fantastically live, the studioversion is wonderful and the lyrics are great.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 8, 2014 14:02

In the studio....sen-bloody-sensational. The Stones at their best

Live...never heard a version that has that seemless and melodic, yet manic and crunched riff from the studio release.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a great live take, please do. And I was AT their show at the WACA in Perth in '73. Nice, but not great.

Date: September 8, 2014 14:07

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 9, 2014 08:04

DandelionPowderman

I STAND CORRECTED....bloody AWESOME! THANKS.....ripped!!!!

Date: September 9, 2014 10:33

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman

I STAND CORRECTED....bloody AWESOME! THANKS.....ripped!!!!

They will probably release that show on DVD in the archive series. My favourite version. Keith on top of his game thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 9, 2014 23:55

Gotta give Jimmy Miller credit on this one. I think Keith , Mick and Jimmy turned this mediocre tune into something quite a bit more. The riff doesn't really move me but the overall effect is something that is hard to get out of your head and instantly says Rolling Stones. peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 16, 2015 13:45

The "extended version" (really a rough work-in-progress version) on the Sticky Fingers re-release bonus disk
makes it clear for all doubters that it's not "you got to mix it child" - it's you got to mix it Charlie and always has been.

It also eliminates any doubt anyone might have had about whether the bootleg known as Highway Child
is a way-early incarnation of Bitch. It is.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 16, 2015 14:25

with sssoul
The "extended version" (really a rough work-in-progress version) on the Sticky Fingers re-release bonus disk
makes it clear for all doubters that it's not "you got to mix it child" - it's you got to mix it Charlie and always has been.

It also eliminates any doubt anyone might have had about whether the bootleg known as Highway Child
is a way-early incarnation of Bitch. It is.

Highway Charlie...?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 16, 2015 16:03

LoFL - nice try, rootsman! But no. Highway Child doesn't include the line.
You got to mix it Charlie you got to fix it - must be love, it's a highway child doesn't scan right :E

Date: June 16, 2015 17:28

slew
I listened to this song the other day on the way home from work after not really playing it much lately and rediscovered what an amazing song it is. This what rock n roll guitar playing is all about what a groove and the fills are awesome teriffic stuff!

Same here. It started as my driving home from work "first played" song, and now it's also my getting ready to go out song (along with others of course) but it has definitely turned into a favorite.

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: December 18, 2020 15:11

No way is this stuffed, or tired, it is probably strung, another Jagger’ism unclear line
I'm feeling so stuffed, I’m so distracted, ain't touched a thing all week,

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 19, 2020 00:33

Top of the top tier stuff.
So lucky to have the l&g footage.
A monster. A monster.
Soul horns. Best lyrics.
Amazing. I should be Listening to it instead of drooling over it here.

Excellent.

Triple AAA PLUS

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 19, 2020 02:38

T&A
song comes from a time the stones were untouchable. it still usually works very well live - at least when the horns aren't too over-bearing....thought it was the singular highlight at the '06 oakland show.

T@A where are you????

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: December 19, 2020 03:51

Hong Kong, 2003, standing on the walkway by Harbour Fest sound check. They did a kick ass version of Bitch, and others. I probably spent 40 minutes watching the 'free show'. There are videos out there but too lazy to look.

Still, one of the best live Stones' songs ever.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 19, 2020 04:01

.....Horse meat pie ......

ROCKMAN

Date: December 19, 2020 07:57

Naturalust
Gotta give Jimmy Miller credit on this one. I think Keith , Mick and Jimmy turned this mediocre tune into something quite a bit more. The riff doesn't really move me but the overall effect is something that is hard to get out of your head and instantly says Rolling Stones. peace

A simple pentatonic riff turned into something explosive....IMHO.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 19, 2020 07:59

skl127
No way is this stuffed, or tired, it is probably strung, another Jagger’ism unclear line

I've always heard this as: "I'm feelin' so starved..."

Date: December 20, 2020 07:07

TheBadRabbit
skl127

I've always heard this as: "I'm feelin' so starved..."

Me as well.

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 14:50

Thanks ‘TheBadRabbit’ never heard it as starved, better get my headphones out ...

Date: December 20, 2020 15:13

song never really worked for me... strange...

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:30

One of their best for sure ! From one of their finest periods

Date: December 20, 2020 21:47

Double guitar work classic.
Taylor heavy riff rhythm , Keith starts stinging like a murder hornet. Suatains those little stings , almost a horn hit in a way...
This one is a prime example of why I reacted badly when someone dismisses this barely 21 heavy handed stomp monster as a noodler.

But I understand. There's hundreds of shows.
Dynamics in the band , and some various personal difficulties didn't help every show shine.
The strong inherently ON, rhythmic sense of Mick's playing was an attraction to me big time. I was 17 when Mick Taylor really started to be promoted as the new member. I had Beggars and Bleed but the New Label Stones and now without Brian...and also a Huge technological improvement in serious sound system rigs...
.... it's just amazing.
I can't believe I missed them in 69.
It was a crazy summer.
I was all over na 1972 but
The Oakland Boot then ya Yas then sticky.
Gimme shelter movie.
Wild Horses Brown Sugar Sticky Fingers every track.
Taylor's very first recorded appears on a Rolling Stones Records was a really heavy number.
The virtuosity is stunning.
But he wasn't a one trick pony.
Like the other Stones, he 'heard' the song and vibe...
Then foundstionslly contributed to it.

He was the missing link miracle.
A UK Clarence White blues monster.
Keith doesn't usually hold back too hard if something or someone is pissing him off.
He and Ronnie both. Mick too, of course.
Have had such lovely things to say about him.

The anniversary tour appreciated but a missed opportunity imo..
For both Wyman and Taylor.
To me The Stones are The Stones.

Date: December 20, 2020 21:52

Ian... Nicky. Was the right age .
It doesn't stop me from being interested in every single Stones show.
Darryl digs in hatd.
Wanna see em up and at it.
I'd like to hear new stuff and see them play it live.

I think of Taylor as a tremendous support for Keith.
Brian Mach 10 it musta seemed to him

Keith plays classic lead in htw and bitch and many others but hardly anyone says Taylio also sorta like Malcolm or any great pile driving rhythm man
. I think it's fair to say the "record" shows a really powerfully integrated amazingly versatile guitarist.

Mick Taylor Rocks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 22:01 by hopkins.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 20, 2020 23:57

The riff is PURE genius, using the open A-string as the root and then just hitting it ftom the 7th fret, EASILY their best "proper" guitar riff in their catalogue.

Plus the bridge/chorus is also genius, in the same way the Shattered bridge is, the first part ending in another chord than the first.

A ten outta ten song.

Date: December 21, 2020 00:33

hopkins

Mick Taylor Rocks.

Correct sir. He Rocked. Past tense that is.

Bitch edited version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 00:45 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 21, 2020 22:10

bitusa2012
In the studio....sen-bloody-sensational. The Stones at their best

Live...never heard a version that has that seemless and melodic, yet manic and crunched riff from the studio release.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a great live take, please do. And I was AT their show at the WACA in Perth in '73. Nice, but not great.

The live bootlegs from 1972 and 1973 have always had excellent versions of Bitch. This kick ass one is one example.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2089
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home