Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Bitch
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 9, 2010 15:55

Mathijs
I never understood it though....Taylor is by all means a mediocre rythm player, and the way he played the riff live has always been miles away from the studio version. His right hand is fairly week for rythm playing, but on this record it suddenly is loud, aggressive and mean -just as you would expect Keith would do it. Then there's the remark from Andy Johns, would doesn't make sense knowing that Keith is only credited with the fills.

I have never been fully confident the main riff actually is Taylor...

Mathijs

Never seen L&G, or heard it? Ever Listened to the boots from f.e. the Australian 1973 tour?

I guess you're joking.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:00

kleermaker
Mathijs
I never understood it though....Taylor is by all means a mediocre rythm player, and the way he played the riff live has always been miles away from the studio version. His right hand is fairly week for rythm playing, but on this record it suddenly is loud, aggressive and mean -just as you would expect Keith would do it. Then there's the remark from Andy Johns, would doesn't make sense knowing that Keith is only credited with the fills.

I have never been fully confident the main riff actually is Taylor...

Mathijs

Never seen L&G, or heard it? Ever Listened to the boots from f.e. the Australian 1973 tour?

I guess you're joking.

Well, I have every show that is available from these tours, and there is not one show where Taylor plays it with the same kind of attack and presense as on the studio version. He plays the lick alright, but not with the same drive and phrasing. You don't need to play guitar or anything to hear the difference.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:09

Maybe he's just versatile?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:10

Studio:

Live 1973 Melbourne Australia:

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:12

Amsterdamned

Versatile maybe.....or is it that maybe he cant reproduce it the way its played on the record....i wonder why that is....?

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:21

ThankGod
Amsterdamned

Versatile maybe.....or is it that maybe he cant reproduce it the way its played on the record....i wonder why that is....?

Same way keith never managed to reproduce certain riffs himself ... all down the line , brown sugar (upbeat), and changed many riffs / intros like straycat blues , satisfaction (many times ),its all over now etc

Date: November 9, 2010 16:29

I think Taylor can do that,playing sharp end edgy, just like he does on Dance little
sister for example... He can play rythm like Keith if he wants..Plus he's mentioned on the studio track. The Stones are rather accurate at that point.
Keith strength in playing ryhtm guitar is mainly based on his open G tuning btw.
With all respect for Keith:a child can do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-09 16:36 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:44

I bought the vinyl single Brown Sugar in the early seventies after it had been a hit, because I missed it on the radio. Bitch was on the B-side of it; I wil always remenber it for that. Anyone who does not know the single version hasn't heard the real Brown Sugar; the mix is much better. I don't know if Bitch was a different mix as well.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:50

lsbz
I bought the vinyl single Brown Sugar in the early seventies after it had been a hit, because I missed it on the radio. Bitch was on the B-side of it; I wil always remenber it for that. Anyone who does not know the single version hasn't heard the real Brown Sugar; the mix is much better. I don't know if Bitch was a different mix as well.

the talking at the end of BS was clearer . you could hear someone saying something before keiths(?) "yeah" .
also a bonus let it rock with a great rhythm guitar by mick

Date: November 9, 2010 17:04

Amsterdamned
I think Taylor can do that,playing sharp end edgy, just like he does on Dance little
sister for example... He can play rythm like Keith if he wants..Plus he's mentioned on the studio track. The Stones are rather accurate at that point.
Keith strength in playing ryhtm guitar is mainly based on his open G tuning btw.

Well throughout most of the 70s, Keith played better than ever - mostly in standard tuning. In fact, that's one of the reasons I like SG and the 78 and 81/82 tours so much. Keith's playing was nearly at its peak (imo, he reached that in 89/90). And the songs he played the best were in standard tuning.

Also, if you're listening to the Pathe Marconi-boots you'll find that most of the stuff he plays there is not in open G. So, imo, that theory is a little too simple.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:04

straycatblues73
lsbz

the talking at the end of BS was clearer . you could hear someone saying something before keiths(?) "yeah" .

Yes. It may even be a different version instead of a different mix. On the Sotheby Reels you can hear that they recorded many versions, but I did not hear the single. A mono single version has surfaced on That Demon Life - Sticky Fingers Outtakes though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-09 17:16 by lsbz.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:22

The original UK mono 7" mixes of Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let It Rock are available on "Acetates" (Midnight Beat).smiling smiley

Date: November 9, 2010 17:43

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned

Well throughout most of the 70s, Keith played better than ever - mostly in standard tuning. In fact, that's one of the reasons I like SG and the 78 and 81/82 tours so much. Keith's playing was nearly at its peak (imo, he reached that in 89/90). And the songs he played the best were in standard tuning.

Also, if you're listening to the Pathe Marconi-boots you'll find that most of the stuff he plays there is not in open G. So, imo, that theory is a little too simple.

Only my opinion,just forget it.winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-09 17:44 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 9, 2010 18:14

Amsterdamned

What do you mean, sharp and edgy on DLS? Taylor does the lead guitar, not the rhythm guitar of course, and it basically is the same riffing as on Travelling Man. It's great as it is so smooth, not because it is edgy or aggressive by any means.

And Keith's parts on Stones albums are 80% in standard tuning (strangely many open G parts are done by Jagger), so that remark misses its mark as well.

Now just compare the live Taylor versions of Bitch with the studio version -it's just totally differently played. The approach, the phrasing, the timing, all is very different to the studio version. And that is strange, as it is a fairly simple riff to play.

Mathijs

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:04

Listening to Rare Earth's live version of "Get Ready" (1969), and couldn't help noticing the similarity.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:04

The song illustrates the superiority of the production on Sticky Fingers. With Exile getting all the attention lately, Sticky Fingers gets overlooked. It now appears that Sticky Fingers might the be the apex of their studio recordings. Siter Morphine, Moonlight Mile, these are stellar production cuts.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 9, 2010 22:44

i agree. that is a aggressive right hand playing the main riff on this song.taylor is a light handed rhtymn player.

Date: December 9, 2010 01:13

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

What do you mean, sharp and edgy on DLS? Taylor does the lead guitar, not the rhythm guitar of course, and it basically is the same riffing as on Travelling Man. It's great as it is so smooth, not because it is edgy or aggressive by any means.

And Keith's parts on Stones albums are 80% in standard tuning (strangely many open G parts are done by Jagger), so that remark misses its mark as well.

Now just compare the live Taylor versions of Bitch with the studio version -it's just totally differently played. The approach, the phrasing, the timing, all is very different to the studio version. And that is strange, as it is a fairly simple riff to play.

Mathijs

mmm... not sure:

Date: September 7, 2014 16:20

A sophisticated Bitch.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 7, 2014 19:00

video: [www.youtube.com]

With Taylor they definitely play it faster than the recording. Taylor plays some cool stuff under Keith's solo at the Philly show like somebody previously mentioned. I don't see any reason why that isn't Taylor on Sticky Fingers, and that's really the only time I've heard them play it at a slower pace.

The Herbie Mann version is a great jam with Taylor and Albert Lee. They also do a great version of Layla. Taylor played a bunch of rhythm guitar on that record as well.

Date: September 7, 2014 19:09

Time and again, Keith is playing the riff on the Atlantic City-version from 1989.

It's fast as well, but the riff sounds more like the studio-version. Keith plays the ending of the riff down at the second fret in the A-chord position.

I suspect that was done on the SF-version as well. It's sounds both more staccato and more aggressive.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 7, 2014 19:16

i agree.i don't think taylor plays on this track at all.that rhytmn guitar has richards tone and feel all over it.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 7, 2014 19:27

DandelionPowderman
Time and again, Keith is playing the riff on the Atlantic City-version from 1989.

It's fast as well, but the riff sounds more like the studio-version. Keith plays the ending of the riff down at the second fret in the A-chord position.

I suspect that was done on the SF-version as well. It's sounds both more staccato and more aggressive.

Upon close listen, you may be right. The Sticky Fingers version has a chunkier tone, and I suppose that could give it what you refer to as a "more aggressive" sound. Taylor sounds more smooth in the live versions.

I disagree with people saying Taylor wasn't a great rhythm player though. He just has a different sound than Richards.

Who do you think played rhythm on Starf**ker? Sounds like Taylor on the left to me.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 7, 2014 20:33

I"m not sure. Listening to Taylor on the clip below, he sounds as aggressive or raunchy as Richards at certain moments. It could easily have been Taylor playing the Bitch riff on SF:

Date: September 7, 2014 20:38

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Upon close listen, you may be right. The Sticky Fingers version has a chunkier tone, and I suppose that could give it what you refer to as a "more aggressive" sound. Taylor sounds more smooth in the live versions.

I disagree with people saying Taylor wasn't a great rhythm player though. He just has a different sound than Richards.

Who do you think played rhythm on Starf**ker? Sounds like Taylor on the left to me.

Taylor plays a very different boogie rhythm on Star Star, so that's an easy one.

Date: September 7, 2014 20:42

LuxuryStones
I"m not sure. Listening to Taylor on the clip below, he sounds as aggressive or raunchy as Richards at certain moments. It could easily have been Taylor playing the Bitch riff on SF:

Isn't that one pretty typical of Taylor, except for the sound?

I didn't say that Taylor didn't play the Bitch riff, though, only that there was some more staccato-ish rhythm playing in there than Taylor usually would play.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 7, 2014 20:50

marcovandereijk
Studio:

Live 1973 Melbourne Australia:

"Billy's good tonight, idn't he...."

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 7, 2014 20:51

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Isn't that one pretty typical of Taylor, except for the sound?

I didn't say that Taylor didn't play the Bitch riff, though, only that there was some more staccato-ish rhythm playing in there than Taylor usually would play.

Well, from 3:50 and onwards I hardly hear any difference with Keith, It's just that Taylor varies a lot more/ is not focussed enough to keep it going on the same way for 5 minutes ?
Both Richards and Taylor could have played the Bitch riff on SF, imo. Interesting subject for a sunday afternoon.cool smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 7, 2014 22:19

I think Taylor's guitar solo on Bitch is one of the greatest in rock and roll. I love it. Which is why it killed me at the last Anaheim show when Dave Grohl played that solo, and I knew Taylor was backstage. I'll admit Grohl did a first rate job (maybe because he knew some audience members were thinking like I was thinking). But Grohl is no Mick Taylor. And Taylor was...just..backstage.

Incidentally, at first I thought the line, "I'm feeling hungry, can't see the reason," was "I'm failing Harvard, can't see the reason."

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 7, 2014 22:57

Bitch is very butch..

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home