Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Steve Jordan's drumming style
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: January 4, 2009 04:33

Drummers rule!! But hey i've had a few and Talk is cheap is the stuff I'll lay my head down with!

p.s. I love y'all bros and sistas

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: January 4, 2009 13:25

rollmops
I am sorry to say that his drumming on "Main offender" isn't smooth. May be the grunge influence has something to do with it.
Mops

Demon, Words of wonder, Runnin' too Deep... 'Grunge' - are you sure!??

Steve Jordan kicks arse on this album and everything else I've heard him play on. He can swing like hell when he wants too. For example, listen to Tanqueray on Johnnie Johnson's solo album (on which Keith also appears).

Date: January 4, 2009 14:13

"The Grunge Influence"..whose grunge influence? Jordan??

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: January 5, 2009 19:13

rollmops
I have been thinking about starting a thread about Jordan's drumming for a little while. I just read on a different thread related to "Talk is Cheap" somebody mentionning how "boring" steve Jordan's drumming is. I am not a drummer, I am a guitar player and I have always been bothered by Steve Jordan' style. "Main offender" is even worse than "Talk is Cheap". The drumming is loud, too much in the front,and very repetitive. Everything that Charlie Watts ' style isn't. Steve Jordan is a very well kown and reputable musician but I guess I just don't like his style.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Steve is an excellent drummer in my opinion. A different style of playing compared to Charlie for sure. However, if they wanted Watts style of playing on the songs mentioned, there would be no reason to get someone that sounded like him when the real thing is readily available.

Anything LOUD on a piece of recorded material is a direct result of two things, who the engineer is and the person or persons telling the engineer what to do. Seems like that was the sound all parties agreed to.

Not knocking your opinion in the slightest, just providing a different perspective as to why those numbers sound the way they do.

CBII

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 5, 2009 19:17

Jordan has a great swing and fits Talk is Cheap perfectly.

The drums are not half as bad as Dirty Work

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 5, 2009 19:28

Jordan is one hell of a drummer. He even managed to make something worth listening out of the John Mayer Trio.

As for his drumming on Keith's solo album, it's simply great. How can one complain that its too loud?

C

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 6, 2009 01:25

Actually not much grunge on "Main Offender" after '999' - plenty of subtle soulful intimate and detailed rock n roll...'Yap Yap', 'Demon', 'etc are understated with the band totally in command of dynamics thru out...Body Talk? Irresistable funk...Much more organic than TIC, and it has more staying power...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 6, 2009 09:32

Yes, Steve Jordan is a hard-hitting drummer, and when they put his drums too upfront in the mix, it can get annoying, because then, the drums drown out everything else.
It's like the loudness war, really.
I guess that's the case on "Main Offender".
His playing has gotten more varied since then, as can be clearly heard on The Verbs album "And Now ... The Verbs".
His hard-hitting is very fitting on the Fabulous Thunderbirds album "High Water", which is only a band album in name, but in fact a Kim Wilson solo album.
He's worked as a producer and not as drummer with the whole band before, on "Walk That Walk, Talk That Talk", which is often neglected because it's their first album after Jimmie Vaughan left, but I think it's the peak of the latter half of their recording career.
Steve's drumming on Booker T & the MG's 1994 one-off comeback "That's the Way it Should Be" finds him trying to bring the spirit of the late Al Jackson, Jr. to the sessions, and Cropper and Booker T once stated in an interview that he did that pretty well. It's a great album which he also co-produced.
I've got more great albums that Steve plays on and that I would recommend, but they are just not readily available in short term memory at the time to be able to write about them.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 6, 2009 09:35

His drumming is fine. In fact, it's great. Too loud? Go listen to Metallica's new album - then get back to me.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 6, 2009 09:40

Jordan is very very good. The best is on Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll film!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 6, 2009 12:53

Steve Jordan is one of the best EVER! Very influenced by Charlie, I´d say!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 8, 2009 01:40

since Keith is resting a lot, Steve works with John Mayer.
I listened to this record last night. Pretty good

[www.amazon.fr]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 8, 2009 04:22

Roll73
Demon, Words of wonder, Runnin' too Deep... 'Grunge' - are you sure!??

Particularly love his drumming on Runnin' Too Deep. What a cool intro! And it fits perfectly with Keith's dirty guitar sound. Awesome song.

Date: January 8, 2009 04:29

Those patterns, or non-patterns like in "Runnin' Too Deep" are the reason I think Jordan is excellent. He entertains himself by playing with the beat, like reggae drummers. What Keith does on guitar on "Struggle" is what Jordan does on drums on many of these Wino grooves.

Posted by: GlimmaSistas ()
Date: January 15, 2009 07:52

Keith is very deliberate in the sound he wants backing his git.
Charlie's drumming is no accident and Steve Jordan fit the bill exactly to Keith's specs. In addition, don't forget that Jordan wrote songs with Keith on the solo projects and this is the sound they both wanted sounding out.
Recently, I went down to Philly when the John Mayer Trio opened for the stones (Mayer on git, Palladino on Bass and Jordon on drums). Ronnie and Charlie came out of the wings and sat right near me to watch this trio. Jordon's style was so different in the band then prior gigs. The man knows what he's doing.
Oh, and FYI, he's the musical producer on the latest movie re: Chess records called "Cadillac Records". Excellent soundtrack. Love Steve Jordon and had him autograph Talk is Cheap and Main Offender right along Keith..
GlimmaSista - D

Date: January 15, 2009 13:52

Jordan is a brilliant drummer period. But he is mixed too loud on Keith's albums, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-15 13:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home