Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Steve Jordan's drumming style
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 2, 2009 22:50

I have been thinking about starting a thread about Jordan's drumming for a little while. I just read on a different thread related to "Talk is Cheap" somebody mentionning how "boring" steve Jordan's drumming is. I am not a drummer, I am a guitar player and I have always been bothered by Steve Jordan' style. "Main offender" is even worse than "Talk is Cheap". The drumming is loud, too much in the front,and very repetitive. Everything that Charlie Watts ' style isn't. Steve Jordan is a very well kown and reputable musician but I guess I just don't like his style.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: Steve Jordan's drumming style
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 2, 2009 22:56

I see what you mean. I used to hate it. It used to completely ruin Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender for me but after I got used to it I started to like it a lot. It's kind of raw or garage-like style.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:02

In "Hail Hail R n R" Chuck Berry said he couldnt believe such a young guy(at the time) had the Chess drumming style down and raved about how good he was.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:05

Steve Jordan hits the drums really hard, I like Keith's soloalbums, you simply hear that Jordan is the co-producer. I prefer the swing between Keith and Charlie, but Jordan is good as well.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:10

this terrible drumming still ruins both richards solo records for me.
this guy even considers himself a producer. what a joke.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:13

I have tremendous respect for Steve Jordan and his drumming. For me, it really helped TIC and MO to be smokin' hot and funky. Yes, he's different from Charlie, but Keith knew what he was doing when he chose Steve.

If you like Steve and/or the blues, check out the DVD "Lightning in a Bottle" ... a great evening of blues artists that he helped put together.

Drew

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:15

I like Jordan's style. But hey I'm just a musician.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:20

I really like his style, I was very happy to see him with Eric Clapton 2 years ago.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:26

Great drummer and I like the sound on both of Keiths solo albums. In fact I like the sound more than the songs.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:34

I have o problems with hs drumming but he is way to high in the mix which indeed ruins the Keith solo albums for me.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:44

Good drummer but the one complaint I have on Keith's too solo albums is that the drums are too loud.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:26

A high energy drummer. I saw him multiple times over a 2 year period in Clapton's band.

I always envision a machine or a motor when I see him playing a drum.

Would agree about him being too up in the mix on Keith's solo works but that's not hardly Jordan's fault.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: January 3, 2009 03:35

rollmops
I have been thinking about starting a thread about Jordan's drumming for a little while. I just read on a different thread related to "Talk is Cheap" somebody mentionning how "boring" steve Jordan's drumming is. I am not a drummer, I am a guitar player and I have always been bothered by Steve Jordan' style. "Main offender" is even worse than "Talk is Cheap". The drumming is loud, too much in the front,and very repetitive. Everything that Charlie Watts ' style isn't. Steve Jordan is a very well kown and reputable musician but I guess I just don't like his style.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

yes absolutely, good point, i have always thought that. Just that damn snare drum, no little rolls and cymbal action. i think its a bit boring as well.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 3, 2009 03:43

Hmm, I have always been a little on the fence about Steve Jordan's drumming. His rhythm is terrific, and he plays with a lot of power. However, I always had a hard time thinking of him as a quintessential "rock and roll drummer". He has, to my ears, a heavy "four on the floor" style that is more funky (think reggae) than swinging r&b. But I guess it's easier to be biased when hearing him do Stones songs. His style simply sounded wrong on cuts like "Happy" and "Before They Make Me Run". But for Keith's solo tunes, he had the right kind of groove for Keith's eccentric style of riffing and writing.

Date: January 3, 2009 06:17

IMO he is anything but boring. His change ups are very subtle. Obviously no big fills. And I love the way they mixed Keith's solo albums. It's one more reason why I find everything about the Winos, and his albums brilliant and daring.

Date: January 3, 2009 14:06

I saw Steve Jordan with Eric Clapton in 2006. He was great. Dispappointed that he won't be with Eric for this years shows at the RAH - We get Steve Gadd this time.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: January 3, 2009 14:37

stoneswashed77
this terrible drumming still ruins both richards solo records for me.
this guy even considers himself a producer. what a joke.

you are a joke man, it's ok you don't like his playing, but Steve Jordan is one of the most respected drummer in this rock and blues scene.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 3, 2009 14:41

Sir Craven of Cottage
I saw Steve Jordan with Eric Clapton in 2006. He was great.

So did I. He and Willie Weeks formed a really vital rhythm section on that tour.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 3, 2009 14:52

Why is he replaced on the Clapton tour by Steve Gadd then?
I always wonder what the reasons are for line up changes, anyone know?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: January 3, 2009 15:18

rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Well repetitive is what drummers do. It's called holding down a rhythm. Breaks and fills should be used to add interest to a song. I recommend you re-listen to How I Wish again (that's not hear it. I mean really listen to it.) and understand that Steve Jordan is brilliant drummer. Listen to Whip it Up his tom tom fills are well judged and just as exciting as Charlies. If you listen to Bodytalk his drumming is economical but funky and helps generate the sparseness that so makes the song great.

What I really love about Talk is Cheap and Main Offender is that you can hear the snare rattle when Keith starts playing his guitar. That kind of thing is now "engineered out" but it gives a sense of ambience, feel and depth to the production.

The problem with guitar players is that they overplay too much on songs (I am one too and guilty of overplaying) and don't listen enough to the space (that's probably maybe why you don't like him). That's why the Richards/Jordan marriage is a great one Keef doesn't overplay and Steves drumming is perfect.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: January 3, 2009 20:54

great point
I'd say, he's got a very personal way drumming, maybe one of the most istantly recognizable drummer ever. so you can love it or you can hate it. he tends to be repetitive adapting that drumming to every song, and it is true that his quite high in the two keith albums mixing. maybe it just need to get into it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-03 20:54 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 3, 2009 21:15

Wasn't Steve Jordan in Paul Schaffer's band on Letterman back in the the day?

"World's Most Dangerous Band" wasn't it?

Date: January 3, 2009 21:26

It seems like I heard that-didnt Springsteens drummer from the E street band also
hold that position(when they were on hiatus) or maybe it was another late night show? Or I might be completely wrong!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 3, 2009 21:44

I wasn't thrilled before I heard TIC and saw Keith solo, but Jordan was perfect for Keith's band - inspired, funky, smart, but never intrusive. Of course as a session guy he tends to be as good as who he's working for, but on Keith's solo stuff (& with him in the Chuck Berry movie) he's terrific. I was always curious to read more about his role as co producer & songwriting collaborator.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 3, 2009 22:41

Great drummer! Great on both Keiths albums and to those of you who don't like his production on the albums: He was co-producing it with Keith...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 4, 2009 00:27

I respect Steven Jordan and the fact that Keith Richards picked him up as" a partner in crime" means something but I am sorry to say that his drumming on "Main offender" isn't smooth. May be the grunge influence has something to do with it.
Mops

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 4, 2009 01:02

i love hard hitting drummers. how he hits the snare is fantastic. his style is very dry and precise but has alot of groove and swing at the same time. great man. the production is another story. the drums are too loud, but that has nothing to do with how he plays...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 4, 2009 01:13

I never liked the sound of the snare on "Main Offender" it was loud yes, but it lacked depth and sounded way too thin...almost too Jamaican drum sounding to me. Good drummer but the way the drums came off...sounded way too distracting.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 4, 2009 04:15

his snare 'pops' instead of 'cracks' (aurally if u know what i mean)
but i find him really good and energetic and precise and exciting...not a swing cat but he's interesting, engaging imo

Date: January 4, 2009 04:27

I think Chuck Berry was right,Jordan's style is very much like Jasper Thomas,Eddie
Hardy,Fred Below and Odie Payne who played drums on Chucks string of "big" hits from 55-64.That Chess sound really packed a punch!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home